3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about The Ridge Tahoe

Great place to stay for skiing and exploring Tahoe area! Great value too!

by TripAdvisor Member malousadiua

We stayed at The Ridge Tahoe for 7 nights and I have to say we were pleasantly surprised at everything.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and it was very large, comfortable, and well kept.
Our requests for extra pillows, humidifiers,extra blankets,were immediately responded too. Within 10-15 minutes they were at our door with what we needed.
The front desk staff is very good, the room itself had everything we needed, full kitchen, Dvd and video player, radio with CD player,etc.
There is a full spa and FREE exercise classes in the mornings! What great value!
For skiers there is a gondola right next to the resort that connects to the rest of the mountain's lifts!
The views are great! There are about 4 different buildings that face different areas so you could ask for the view you want!
If you're looking for great value, look no further.
We stopped going to the Mammoth Lakes area because the suite that we had here would cost double over there!Would definitely stay here again!

Great, relaxing atmosphere

If you are looking for a relaxing trip, with easy access to the slopes, than the Ridge Tahoe is perfect for you. If you are looking for a party atmosphere with access to the slopes, you are better off staying in Stateline at one of the many casinos or hotels.

The Ridge does have it's own bar, however it is more for the relaxing after ski cocktail with a few friends, rather than a major party scene.

There are shuttles that take you into Stateline for about $1 each way (there is one directly to Harrah's which goes until 12 or 1am, I believe), but it would take you about 15 minutes to go each way.

For me, a pregnant guest who needed more relaxation rather than a party, it was perfect!

Bring DVDs, although they do rent at the main building!

Had a great time!

We had a great time at The Ridge Tahoe. I did not see the reviews before I went and like some people were very surprised with the location. I really thought we would be more in a town setting, however I didn't mind being up on the mountain. The transportation was great, we just planned around the Bluego schedule. We were however disappointed that their were not many dining options. We did have to go to town every night to get something to eat, however we did get used to going into town and the Bluego dropped us off at Harrah's which had plenty of good dining. The hot tub in our building was great to have and we had a great time skiing at Heavenly. The room was clean however the furniture and carpets are in need of replacement soon, but we were okay with it. The only real complaint I had is that I did notice a strange smell throughout the condo (we had a 2 bedroom) for the first part of the week but that seemed to pass towards the middle of the week.

We actually had a great time, however if I were to come to ski Heavenly again I would probably stay in town for convenience.

Expected more

by TripAdvisor Member McClures

Have just spent a day short of two weeks at The Ridge Tahoe from 10-23 February.

The first week was an exchange through Interval International. The one-bedroom unit we occupied was in the Ridge Plaza. The unit was well worn and in need of serious renovation, especially the kitchen units, the bathroom wasn't much better either. If you opened the windows in the unit (which have chains on them so you can only go so far) chances are you couldn't get them to close properly. Had to call maintenance for a new toaster as it didn't work properly, they did come straight away.

The second week, because our son and his girlfriend joined us on the holiday, we rented a two-bedroom unit (a Cascade Suite, the most expensive ones). We decided on a unit within the Cascade building because the Company we rented through,in its descriptions said that there were two jacuzzi tubs, one in the main unit and the other in the retreat side. Also, on studying the plans through Resort Realty (from The Ridge's own website) the plans for the Cascade units show two jacuzzi tubs. We brought it to the attention of one of the Managers (not Front Desk) who didn't know what to say, took copies of both sheets of paper we showed him, one being the description from the Company we rented through, one being the layout plan and description from their own website. Apparently the units have never had two jacuzzi baths in them.

Again, the unit needed a new toaster, which we got from Maintenance but also had to complain about the coldness of the Unit towards the end of the holiday. Someone from Maintenance was meant to be coming to the unit but never came. Housekeeping should have also been every day. First day back from the slopes, no-one had been so my husband telephoned them to find out why there had been no housekeeping. He was told that someone was asleep on the bed at 9am when they had called so they had left it. Very strange, as all four of us had been on the slopes at Heavenly by 8.55 am! We asked for some clean towels but never got them.

My husband and I have stayed at many timeshare resorts since 1997 and this is by far the worse we have every stayed in. Suggest that the Management Company looks to the Marriotts, Disney and the Trapp Family Lodge to see how they run their resorts. After all, it is meant to be a Five-star resort which all the above are, so should be equally as good.

The resort's benefit is the location next to the slopes at Heavenly, which is approximately 5 miles out of the Town.

okay hotel, very bad management team

We stayed at Ridge tahoe one night during our ski trip. 5 of us rented a 2 bedroom condo. the room is clean and view is nice, but we had very bad overall experience.

0. when arrived at the hotel, at the security gate, we were told to go to the 4th building on the right hand side. If you are giving the same direction, please just look for the building with name "Club house". that's the place you go check in. i don't know why don't they just give us the building name, and what's worse, it's not the 4th building on the right.

1. we arrived 30 minutes before the check in time at 3:30pm. we were told the room won't be ready until 4pm check in time. so we waited. the room still not ready at 4:30pm. we went in the room while maid is still cleaning, drop off our laggages, put valuables in locker, and left the room. We are not bothered with this delay, but we paid for the price later on.

2. room is nice and clean. however, no shampoo is provided. only one soap bar per room, that's it. we were disappointed because we didn't bring our own, and the room rate was $300 per night. we thought it's a mistake but was told hotel won't provide any. we still live with it.

3. starting from 2am at night, some monster truck started doing snow work downstair. all the beeping wake us up, and it continued until 3:30am. we lost almost 2 hours of sleeping time, a little pissed. but still good spirit, looking forward to ski next day.

4. we want to ski the virgin snow in heavenly, so we placed a 7am morning call. we also put on alarms with our cell phone as backup. at 7am, cell phone ring, but hotel morning call didn't come until 8am. hotel morning call wasn't adjusted for the "day light saving time". If you are catching a flight and depends on hotel morning call, you are screwed. we have backup, so we still live with it.

5. five of us got ready at 7:30 and ready to leave. Time to open the locker, but oops.. the locker is mulfunctioning. no response to code that entered. we called the front desk, was told that the maintenance guy is late at work because of the day light saving time (again), and won't be at work until 8am. at 8am, we called again, was refused to give another estimate because they can't contact the mainenance guy anymore. we waited over 1 hours, fully equipped with ski gears in the hotel room, mood is going down for every miniutes we waited for the maintenance guy to come to open the locker.

6. you thought you will get an appology for what happened here, you are wrong! we complained to the hotel manager with this issue. the manager told us that "locker is complementry for guest to use, so we use at our own risk." No appology, not even complementry water was provided.

Overall, we think the hotel has a very bad management team. we will not going to return to this hotel ever again. others should be careful too, don't make the same mistake!

Great location for skiing!

by TripAdvisor Member AtlantaVoyager

My wife and I stayed at The Ridge for a week in late January on a timeshare exchange. The location is fantastic for skiing, with a 2 minute shuttle bus ride to the Stagecoach Lodge at Heavenly or a quick gondola ride from the resort to the base of the Stagecoach Lodge.

The resort is a 15 minute drive from town and the casinos, but the peace and quiet on top of the mountain is wonderful with spectacular views of the Carson Valley below. If going in winter, it may be helpful to rent a 4 wheel drive, as the resort is at 7600 feet and receives a lot more snow than the hotels at lake level.

The Ridge has lots of amenities and activities for non-skiers as well, including a great indoor pool, an exercise room and spa. We didn't participate in any of the resort sponsored activities because we were exhausted from skiing, but my wife had a wonderful massage at the spa.

Service, not so great!

I just went skiing with my wife and had a blast in Heavenly. We stayed four nights at the Ridge, which was ok. The only problem we had was with the Service at Front Desk. My family tried to contact me urgently to inform me of a death in my family, but the phones do not have voice mail. My mother even asked the staff of the Hotel to relay the information to me, but I never got the message. In fact, in my first day of skiing, we could not open our doors with our card keys. When I asked the front desk how long would I have to wait for the new keys (since the buildings are a block or two from the front desk), the clerk told me that if I wanted them sooner I should go fetch them myself. I thought that was rude and inappropriate for a +$200 a night Hotel.

Nice and Quiet close to the Snowboarding!

by TripAdvisor Member snoplant

Myself and three skiers have just spent ten nights at the ridge plaza builiding in a two bedroom unit.

We were very happy with the standard of the accomodation with plenty of space and nice views of the Carson Valley. The unit did have some minor maintenance issues such as a fire with ignition (pilot light) problems and a bath that did not drain properly. The daily maid service was good. Daily Newspapers were also provided.

The resort is right near the stagecoach lodge (blue runs) of the Heavenly resort which was very convienient and the resort shuttle or gondola will take you to it. However, this means you are out of town with a 15 min. drive to the casinos etc... but we prefered the peace and quiet.

If you are coming to Tahoe skiing this makes a good base. I would recommend a 4x4 (we saw a car stuck on the road to the resort when it had snowed)which will enable you to drive to town and the other excellent ski areas in Tahoe (Kirkwood and Sierra are fairly close and the north shore resorts take ~1.5 hours to get to)

There appeared to be plenty of amenities for non-skiers but the bar closes too early for apres-ski and our wives could not get in at the spa for facials etc.. unless booking nearly a week in advance.

The shop was well stocked but pricey.

There were indoor and outdoor hot tubs and a sauna in our building which looked a little tired but were perfectly functional (It looked like they had recently re-tiled but not replaced the tubs themselves!)

All in all I would recommend The Ridge to most people especially if Skiing.

Fabulous Views

by TripAdvisor Member titianbeauty

We have just returned from a week at the Ridge Resort, we were a party of 10 and had 2 two bedroomed suites one in Building 10 and the other in Building 11 (both Neagle Buildings). We had a horrendous journey from San Francisco due to traffic and snow and arrived at the Ridge at 1.30am. Check in was not very good as we could only do this via the man at the Gatehouse who seemed under a lot of pressure. However when we finally got to our accommodation we all loved it - and we loved it even more the next morning when we saw the beautiful views. We had a great time and being able to ski/snowboard virtually from the door was a real bonus for the more capable of our party. The private Gondola down to Stagecoach Lifts was also great. We would recommend that you self-cater if staying here as the on site Restaurant was only open 2 nights during our stay and we ate there once and were not impressed. The deli was OK for breakfast and the omlette bar on a Saturday morning was great but otherwise not so good. There is a big supermarket at the bottom of the road in South Lake Tahoe so just stock up and stay in (unless of course you like casinos). This is our second visit to Tahoe, the first time we stayed in South Lake Tahoe itself but would definitely choose to say at The Ridge if we come back again.
Make sure you get good directions as it is quite difficult to find in the middle of the night in a snowstorm and if you are lucky enough to be there when there is a lot of snow then you also need snow chains. We had 2 vans for our party but unfortunately they wouldnt fit in the covered parking but we didnt find this a problem as there is plenty of other parking. Overall its a great place to stay much much better than being in South Lake Tahoe in our opinion.

Condo Not Same as Web Site

All web sites show a newer property (Cascade Building). We checked in and were given a room, in a old building, that had a strong smell and was very worn. I printed out pictures of the room prior to leaving and presented them to the check in agent. I was told that the photos were incorrect. Since I had photos of the room that we expected and there was availability in this building, our room was "upgraded". If we had to stay in the previous room, it would have been a terrible vacation. This isnt a full service hotel. We tried to check out at 5:00am and the main building was closed.
Property is in excellent location to Stage Coach lift. Limited food services available on site.

New Northern Spruce EngraverNew Northern Spruce Engraver

Practically sat on my shoe!Practically sat on my shoe!

Lots of tablesLots of tables

We so love the parks!We so love the parks!

Good Deals?

by rfrye

Wondering if anyone knows of good LIFT TICKET & HOTEL/MOTEL deals that would come in handy, at least reasonably close to a resort.
And when will it probly start snowing? The wait kills!

RE: Good Deals?

by tahoesasha

here are ski & hotel deals with Sierra at Tahoe... the snow is still pretty thin there though, and we just had 2 storms.

Heavenly has the best snow coverage on the south shore right now, they have been making snow like crazy on the California side. Horizon Casino (right nearby) usually has the cheapest rooms, esp. midweek. Heavenly lift tickets are a bit spendy however.

Comments