Desert Rose Resort

5051 Duke Ellington Way, (formerly Hawthorn Suites), Las Vegas, Nevada, 89119, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 14% higher than other 3 star hotels

• Great experience!

We wanted a hotel right off the strip so we could stay close to the action, but still be able to get out of the action when it was time to relax. We loved it!! We would highly recommend this hotel, and we will stay here again when we go back to Vegas. Now I am Vegas Official!!! #ruVegasOfficial

• cium's Profile Photo

Great for families

If you are traveling to Vegas with a family I have the perfect recommendation for you. A 2 bedroom apt. in a resort half a block from the strip called Desert Rose. My family and I(one baby, my partner and in-laws)all stayed there in their 2 bedroom apt. and it was great. Very affordable too (cheap actually). It has a pool too and they offer a continental breakfast. We are pretty picky about where we stay, especially because we now have a baby and the place was great. So check it out and I recommend it without any hesitations. We walked everywhere on the strip from there. We were there last December, so I can't imagine it has changed much since. It's right next door to the Hooters Casino/hotel and in the Area where the Excalibur is, New York New York, etc.. Check out the website: http://www.shellhospitality.com/hotels/desert_rose/index.html

Also, I would advise you against Circus Circus. It is cheap, but kinda run down and their free shows last 5 minutes and were kinda silly.

Directions: Very close to New York, Excalibur, Hooters,

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

Just off the strip with full accom.

We had friends get married on the unfortunated weekend Nascar was in town, and the heavyweight fight.
    Crowded!
    Couldn;t get a room with 6 weeks notice and ended up getting into the Hawthorne Suites at about $100 a night.
    Have to say it is a little run down, but quiet, has a full kicthen and seperate living room and a nice big bed.
    Worth the price and tucked behind the San Remo and Tropicana. Easy walk to the MGM.

Unique Quality: Full kitchen with stove top and oven, full fridge and microwave. Even full set of dishes.
    Gym was too small for me and the pool was still closed.

Directions: 1 block off the strip behind the San Remo

• Bigger, cheaper, just as close.

Hawthorne Suites - right across the street from the MGM, is a condo development that has been changed into hotel suites. We paid about $80 US a night for a one bedroom apartment.

Unique Quality: The suites are big, clean, and in great shape. You are very close to the strip, and you can save some money, too.

More about Desert Rose Resort

Great Price and Location

by TripAdvisor Member kisaacs425

Since there are not very many reviews of this property I thought I would leave one. I go to Vegas with a group of girls every year. Last year we stayed at the Luxor and this year we got a great deal to stay at the Hawthorne Suites. I was a little concerned we may have made a bad choice when I read these reviews, however I was so wrong!!! We had two 1 bedroom suites and both were sparkling clean. The furniture was in great shape, the sofa was slightly worn, but what hotel doesn't. The bed was so comfortable...it was like being at home. This hotel was so much nicer then the Luxor. The pool area is small but very nice and usually there is no problem finding a chair. Also, there are tables and umbrella's by the pool so there is also shade if you burn easily like myself. There are even BBQ's if you want to have lunch or dinner by the pool. The breakfast had a little to be desired but then again it was like most of the inexpensive buffets on the strip. Oh, and getting to the strip was so easy. It takes about 5 minutes to get to the MGM and right next door to the Hooters Casino (that is where you have to grab a cab if you are going further down the strip). The location is great.

Would stay again

by TripAdvisor Member darlwill

Stayed 2 days at beginning of trip and 2 days at end of trip. First 2 nights were in 2-bedroom third floor unit handicapped for my friend. Unit was very large and comfortable. Last 2 nights were in one-bedroom unit on 4th floor for myself - not as nice. On first check-in, Jim on eve shift was very nice and helpful. On second check-in Frank was also helpful and polite, assisting me in changing rooms. One dissatisfaction I had was that many of the rooms look out on the parking lot and storage area - very unattractive. The resort is in a shabby area of Las Vegas, behind what used to be San Remos but is now Hooters. The coffee shop at Hooters is a real bargain with huge portions of good food (try the nachos!), open 24 hrs.
Every morning is a full hot and cold breakfast that is done fairly well. Some evenings 5-7p is complimentary wine, beer, soft drinks with snack mix. One night instead of snack mix was lasagna, bread, salad. Internet is NOT free in room, costs $10 from 4p to 4p. Just to print my boarding pass I had to go to lobby and pay $3.95 to log into computer there and print. Also, on second stay there a large family of 3 generations of adults (13 people) were drinking beer from glass bottles in and around the pool for 8 hrs. The woman at the front desk had no interest in controlling the situation or having the multitude of glass bottles removed from the pool area (like the NO GLASS sign states). Children would not have been able to play in the pool that day as the drunks took up the entire shallow end.
Furniture seemed in good condition, kitchen was full sized, air conditioner worked well.
One bad spot on the hallway carpet outside my room on check in was removed early the next morning without having to report it. Would probably stay here again.

Good Value.

by TripAdvisor Member checkflag

Stayed there a couple nights earlier this week. Friendly, competent staff. The suite was roomy and comfortable. More than enough room for 2-3 people.
Location is good, especially if you have a car. The airport is very close but we barely heard any noise inside the room. Walking distance to Hooters, MGM Grand and lower end of The Strip. We had an inside room facing the courtyard.
Complimentary breakfast is a plus, plenty of decent food. Free USA Today if you ask. We'd stay there again. If you don't mind staying at a non-casino hotel, this may be just the place for you.

great choice

by TripAdvisor Member wndrwmn818

I stayed a week at this hotel through a timeshare at RCI. I was very happy with the hotel. It is very quite even though it is near the airport & is a nice change of pace from the crowded casino hotels. The pool is small but nice, however it was very cold. There is a small kiddie pool & a hot tub as well. We stayed in a 2 bed, 2 bath unit which was the perfect space for 4 adults. The unit has it's own kitchen with everything you need. The hotel offers breakfast daily & happy hour on the weeknights. They even offer a free dinner on wednesday nights (lasagna & salad). It is always nice to get something for free! I would definitely stay here again, especially if I had small children as the units have more space than traditional hotel rooms.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Hello_It's_Me_21

If I would have seen this place rather than the Shell Vacations Club timeshare in Hawaii, I would never have bought in.

Rooms are SMALL
Bathroom tiny.
No washer / dryer in room. Come on, this is a time share!
Wifi in the room costs $ and computer in lobby costs $. Again, this is a time share!
It’s located conveniently in walking distance to the Tropicana and the MGM (where you can pick up the monorail). It’s directly behind Hooters which means loud pool parties every night. Saturday night you could hear the music in the hotel hallways. That’s just unacceptable. Inside the room it was quiet but it would have been nice to sit at the pool at the hotel without hearing the music from another hotel.
The desk staff didn’t understand our reservation (booked under 2 names) and referred to a closed SVC office. Had I not gone back again to different desk staff member another day to clear it up, I would have had a problem.
Arrived early Wed. nite and they had a complementary dinner buffet. That was a nice surprise. There are also snacks and wine every evening. Breakfast buffet every morning was a bonus and actually pretty good.
Pool and exercise room were nice.
But overall, the place was a disappointment.

Nothing Negative in my opinion

by TripAdvisor Member Pattat11

First let me start off by saying the reveiw I read said shady side of town, I was a bit concerned but thought, I've read reveiws before and I did not agree so I went with it and took the chance.
My opinion, It's behind Tropicana and Hooters and across from MGM, shady...no way.
Two bedroom, 2 bath suite, I was very well surprised upon entering my room, a small apartment is more like it and perfect since I had to bring two of my kids.
It was great to not have to walk through a casino since I was surrounded by them throughout my vacation.
I had a parking lot view (no big deal, I didn't come to vegas to sit on a patio) and a small courtyard outside my door, (which I loved, actually gave the resort , the resort feeling).
Of coarse it costs more then one of the discount rooms you can get on the strip but if you are traveling with kids or extended stay, this is the place. The full kitchen and seperate bedrooms and bathrooms are perfect. Not that I wanted to cook on vacation but for snacks and small stuff, just perfect.
The only thing I agree with from the other reveiws is the pool was a bit cold, but mostly, I also agree with all the positives things that were said.
I thought the buffet breakfast was an added plus and can only hope the resort keeps this pratice going since this is one of the ammenities that the other hotels do not offer.
I want to thank the Manager since I called to verify my reservation, he is the one I spoke with and explained I was traveling with two kids and would not mind being as close to the pool as he could get me, I believe he did just that.
Thank you Hawthorne suites, don't change too much in the future.
Patti a satisfied traveler tonce again.

Hidden gem

by TripAdvisor Member mokwa

My husband and i stayed at the Hawthorne suites for 2wks in august 06, and to be honest we were a bit apprehensive after reading some of the negetive reveiws so much so we nearly changed our hotel, Well thank godness we never as this small family friendly hotel was excellent, the room was confortable and clean had everthing that the big hotels on the strip dont have, kitchen area, lounge area and separate bedroom with small ensuite, and of course a small balcony, we stayed at the luxor 2yrs previous and found it very impersonal, with the rooms designed to keep you out of them as much as poss, no fridge, no balcony and a major trek to get to the pool.

the staff at the hawthorne suites were really friendly, very helpfull and made our stay unforgetable, the free breakfast every morning was great which is a savings on its own, and the hotel situ was a 10mins walk to the MGM hotel, very close to the strip but yet so peacefull. oh and the pool was clean, tidy and not to busy especially in the afternoons. So please do not get put of with the bad reveiws that has been said, as i nearly did and would never of found ont what a hidden gem the Hawthorne suites really is. so well done Hawthorne suites please keep the good work up, as i well be back without any hesitation in the future.

desert rose resort

by pj2904

hi my partner and i are thinking of going back to vegas nxt year was just wondering if any one has stayed in this resort and will be able to tell me what it is like thanks,

Re: desert rose resort

by puerto_lover

Looks awesome. Many reviews on:

Re: desert rose resort

by pepsi2

Just got back from there it was ok nothing wrong with it free basic breakfast /drinks and free wine before you go out at night its the only free thing you will get all holiday with no strings. breakfast a bit packed at week ends

Comments