El Cortez Hotel & Casino

600 East Fremont Street, Between 6th and 7th Streets, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Historical

El Cortez was built in 1941 for $245,000 by J.K. Houssels as a fifty nine room hotel and casino. Although it built far away from the lime light of Vegas, it was becoming very successful. Soon some of Vegas most colorful gangsters such as Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky were very attracted to Cortez success; they soon bought this very property in 1945. The Pavilion rooms were added in 1963 and in 1980 the tower was added bring the room count to 300. It was bought by Jackie Gaughan in 1963 that still owns and operates the property. He lives up in the penthouse in the tower and it is said you can see him daily in the casino.

Directions: Between 6th and 7th Streets

• paulinuk2u's Profile Photo

room ok noisy tho

I stayed for 17 nights ,its realy noisy there,from a bar/club?in one of the nearby streets,music went on till late,also the helicopters that do the strip tour come up the strip and turn and go back down the strip ,but they turn around over the hotel and it can go on for a long time,I also one day had security asked me to leave the hotel,till i told them i was staying there,big shock for me ,and also still waiting for my deposit to be returned,they took from my credit card better spend a bit more somewhere else.

Directions: downtown

More about El Cortez Hotel & Casino

Want lung cancer and bad service to chase it with? The El Cortez is for you!!!

My wife, mother in law and I ended up at the El Cortez over a March weekend....college basketball and spring break bookings forced our hand, nowhere else could accomidate us.

I wish we never set foot there. The tower rooms looked ok, but we were in the old building which is only slightly more appealing than a rescue mission.

Between the seedy characters, serial chain smokers, spring break alkies and the steet people who seem to make the El Cortez their 24 hour shelter, it's not possible to feel comfortable for a moment there.

If you have no choice but to stay in that run down, hard scrabble area, try the Days Inn across the street (Fremont Street).

el cortez

by doug48

the el cortez is located on fremont street in downtown las vegas. this historic casino is one of the oldest in las vegas. in the 1940's the el cortez was part owned by the gangsters meyer lansky and bugsy siegal. this historic casino is an interesting place to visit for look at las vegas' past.

Staying & Getting to Freemont Street

by lovemycacti

I was shocked when I overheard a local say that going to Freemont Street was a waste of time. It was one of the highlights of my trip! We stayed at the Vegas Club in downtown Vegas which is located right at the beginning of "The Freemont Street Experience".

So what is Downtown/Freemont Street? It is the main street in downtown Las Vegas - not to be confused with the Las Vegas Strip.

Downtown/Freemont Street is about a 5 or 10 minute car ride from the Strip. Downtown/Freemont Street is accessible by the CAT System (Citizens Area Transit) The Deuce a.k.a.city bus. It is NOT walking distance between the two.

On weekends the hotels on The Strip charge an arm and a leg, so staying Downtown/Freemont Street on the weekend is a much more affordable alternative. Plus, if you're still looking for a great street-long party, but not the elbow-to-elbow standing room of the Strip on a weekend, then the Downtown/Freemont Street is the place to be. If you do decide to stay Downtown/Freemont Street you'll likely only need one night. Stay in one of the hotels under the Freemont Street Experience - not El Cortez or one of the other hotels further down. Too many scary creatures and no security really once you leave under the Viva Vision dome. DO stay at Fitzgeralds, Binions, 4Queens, Vegas Club, or the Plaza.

If you're staying on the Strip and just want to visit Downtown/Freemont Street then I'd suggest getting on The Deuce (public bus transit) and getting a 24-hour-pass for $5. Go to Freemont Street after 7pm and expect to leave around midnight.

The only transportation you'll need when you get to Freemont Street is your own two feet. I thought there was supposed to be a huge neon museum on Freemont Street - but what it is, is actually an outdoor complex called the Neonopolis, which has several neon signs attached to the inner structure. See the attached websites for more information.

Great Slots

I thought the El Cortez was a nice hotel/casino for
the price. The rooms were clean enough and it
wasn't very crowded. It took longer than expected
to check in,but after a long flight I might have been
eager to get to bed. ( We arrived at 1:00 am )
We plan on going back to Vegas and we'll always
consider the El Cortez.

Better than expected.

I must say that after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor I was expecting to check into a different hotel after one night at the El Cortez, but I was impressed with the room and it was actually an okay place to stay. The room was clean, a bit sparse, but for the price well worth it. I was a bit concerned about the security warning regarding walking to the parking lot, but the valet service took care of that problem. No problem walking down to the main area of Fremont for gambling, and as for gambling at the El Cortez it was okay. The clientel was mainly from the senior circuit but other than that it was a positive experience with the affordable table rates. Overall a thumbs up experience.

As good as ever...

The El Cortez hasn't changed much in thirty years, and that fact thrilled me and my wife. My first stay at the El was thirty-one years ago - celebrating my twenty-first birthday. April 16, 2004 was my first trip back in over twenty years, and we loved it! The staff is friendly and helpful, the value is unbelievable, and the gaming excellent. I stayed in one of the original rooms (for old times sake), and it was clean, modern and comfortable. The food is wonderful and always a bargain. I got to watch Jackie G play Texas Holdem Sunday night, but the table was full and I couldn't get in the game. That would have been a thrill.

If you want to experience Old Vegas the way it truly was, the El Cortez has to be your first stop. Liberal slots and probably the best Black Jack in town. Sorry if this is coming off sounding like a commercial, but Mr. G is getting older and I'm afraid the El will eventually change into just another slick money pit. We "low rollers" have a home just now, and for those who come to Las Vegas for the gambling instead of the glitz, I suggest you take advantage of this fine old hotel while you still can. I know we'll be back as soon as we can.

Great Gambling

Excellent place for your gaming. Craps consistently offer $1 minimum with 10x odds. Blackjack tables have reasonably good rules. The machines have good payouts. I've stayed here three times. Don't expect great ambiance like the palaces on the Strip, but you get great hotel deals and staff is friendly. I've stayed and played all over this town for many years -- places like the MGM Grand, Mirage, Luxor, and Golden Nugget -- and find there are nicer rooms but I always seem to end up on Glitter Gulch for playing, and the El Cortez tables especially get most of my action.

worst hotel i ever stayed

Its the worst hotel that i have ever stayed in las vegas. The staff never responded to anything we asked for and worst of all the hotel corridors and rooms are so worst and very difficult to find parking space. water always clogges in the bathroom and the TV never worked.

el cortezel cortez

freemont st

by nicoz

Hello
Ive heard people mention "freemont St" in Vegas. Where is and...and what is it? Is it an old version of the strip? Please excuse the ignorance

by springbreak105

Freemont Street is located in downtown Las Vegas. A large portion is covered by a arched screen that has light shows throughout the night. (do a search in google to find out what I mean, kind of hard to explain lol) Downtown Las Vegas was the happening area many years ago which is why it's called the old version of the strip.

by yvr

Fremont Street is worth a visit. It is the "downtown of Las Vegas" Go in the evening, when the "Fremont Experience" is on. It is a laser light show and certainly worth seeing. If you are staying on the strip, the public bus goes right downtown, cheap and convenient. You can see Fremont St. and the area adjacent in less than two hours.

by larigot

Fremont Street is certainly worth a visit. You can see the show, as others have suggested, have a great meal at the Main Street Station Buffet, which is a beautiful room filled with antiques, have a prime rib dinner at the California for $6.00 in the Coffee Shop, see the El Cortez, which is one of the oldest casinos, and is somewhat unique for that reason. Also from 11-3 a.m. you can get a shrimp cocktail at the Golden Gate for 99 cents! I just returned from Vegas - have a great time!

RE: RE: freemont st

by kymbanm

I love Freemont St!!! For a taste of what made Vegas a legend .... that is why you want to go .... really :)

by u4me2byte

Hello.
You can check out vegas.com, lasvegas.com, or this one shows it great! www.vegasexperience.com search around in this site. It will show you exactly what we are talking about. you will love it if you have never been it is a must see. there are many different shows you have too see them all! I was just there this week.
Have a safe trip n be safe.
Pete H.....