Gold Spike Hotel and Casino

400 East Ogden Avenue, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89109, United States

• wbalian's Profile Photo

Low Cost Accomadations

Had a hockey tournament and needed a Cheap place to stay. At less than $150 bucks for 3 nights Thurs, Fri and Sat for 2 people I took my chance. It is a pretty run down place but we were not there for dinner or playing slots. Room had two older queen beds and a view of Ogden Street.

Unique Quality: Room was fairly clean and staff was nice and helpful. Did not stick around just used hotel for food, gaming or drinking. Had $1 beer and tequila shots but never had the need to stick around.

Directions: Just one block off Freemont Street experience.

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

Best deal in town

I found Gold Spike Hotel and Casino on Travelocity. First of all, if you are trying to find a place to impress your girlfriend (or boyfriend), this is not for you. But if you are like me and all you need is a comfortable and inexpensive place close by to rest after sightseeing whole day in Vegas, this is absolutely the best deal in town. Heck, it's even cheaper than the hostel. I only paid $19 plus tax per week night and it came with complimentary breakfast. For weekend it may be slightly more but wouldn't be much.

Think of it as Motel 6 with a casino and you get the idea. The hotel is old but kept clean. According to other reviews I read, they also have suit (with kitchen) if you are interested. It's located only 1 block northeast of Fremont Street Experience. There are also a couple of drugstores (Walgreen?) within walking distance so it's a lot easier to shop the normal stuff (bottle water, newspaper, etc.) than on the Strip. From Gold Spike the bus stop to the Strip is only 1 block away, so transportation is not an issue.

Unique Quality: The front desk didn't ask me if I care for a smoke-free room, so I assume they allow guests to smoke in all their rooms. This is a common problem in most downtown hotels, which used to allow smoking anywhere. Even after converting some of their rooms to non-smoking, they can't completely get rid of the cigarette smell.

• Good deal Downtown

This is a very modestly priced hotel(they don't inflate rates for week ends & holidays).Your stay does include breakfast or a 2for1 dinner.There is no fee for parking, there's also no valet. The rooms are large and clean.The bath room is totaly enclosed for t hose of us who like privacy. The Casino is small but comprehensive and has the latest in gaming. You'll be situated between the Lady Luck & El Cortez casinos and only one block from the Fremont Street Experience. This isn't the place for those who go to Vegas for an "up-scale" experience.

Directions: Down town, one block no. of Fremont with access from LasVegas Blvd. or Main St.

• SLK's Profile Photo

Bargain Basement?

My first hotel when I went to Vegas.
    It's a while since I stayed here but I doubt it's changed much.

One of the older hotels downtown (which has been done up and made much nicer of late).

The down side is that most of the attractions are further down the strip which means a bus ride which can get warm in the summer and 30mins+ if the traffic is bad.

The inside has a small bar meets casino which leads in to a 24-hour diner. When you book you get either a free breakfast or lunch, certainly nothing special but again - it's cheap and included in the cost. Although the apple pie was nice and the drinks are cheap -you certainly notice you aren't in a strip hotel when it comes to prices.

It is a little shabby looking and you may feel a little out of place if you walk round all dressed up. But all that makes for interesting stories like when security thought I was a hooker, which leads me to the state that I always felt safe despite the shady looking characters sitting at the bar. Security is always close by.

For all it's faults, it's cheap, quircky and if I was on a tight budget I'd go back.

Unique Quality: Cheap if on a budget.

Directions: Downtown

More about Gold Spike Hotel and Casino

Can't beat the Gold Spike!

I loved the Gold Spike! You simply can't beat it in a town that I found can be so very expensive. Our room was large and clean, the showers were hot, and the casino was tons of fun. We were a little unsure about the place at first, having read some reviews here, but we paid $94 tax included for a Friday through Monday stay (3 nights). The restaurant was a little scary and we did not have the courage to eat there, but it is so close to many others that it was no big deal. Highly recommended for a cheap and adventurous trip to Vegas! If you need luxury, go ahead and pay the extra $200-500 dollars a night on the strip, they are happy to eat up your money. But, if you are like me and would rather spend that money on having fun in Vegas, the Gold Spike is the place to stay! Don't let the dingy casino scare you, the rooms are surprisingly nice and worth every penny.

A Really Good Place!

The Gold Spike is not for everyone, for the price it is a GREAT bargin .I was there in January 04 & will be there again in August. I liked the downtown location & the smokey casino is "interesting" with penny & nickel slots. The cafe was too scary for my taste. and it is easy to take the CAT bus to the strip and thanks to the LV police, there's little crime to worry about. for $40 a night I get a huge suite with two A/C units, a fridge, a dining area, a wrap-around terrace, a sofa, a king sized bed and a good bathroom..What else do you need??

Another great vacation

by TripAdvisor Member thumpper9

Jack and I just returned from a lovely 2 weeks in Vegas, as you know we prefer the downtown for the atmosphere and colourful people events, looses slots, hot blackjack and so on. Yes we could have easiely spent $300.00USD for a night at the Luxor but by staying at the G/S we trimmed that to less that 25. Gold Spike is a very friendly enviroment and w look forward toreturning in the very near future. The rumours shold start circulating about the plans to modernize the area and it is our hope the G/P is only given a cosmetic overhaul. This is the place to try it out, be open about it and think of the 275. bucks in your pocket

the third world of vegas

by TripAdvisor Member turtlerai

The Gold Spike is the third world country of las vegas. When you first enter, there is a bit of culture shock.....you see a dilapidated building, funny looking people, and lots of smoking. soon you adjust and you realize that your pocket change goes a long way. whereas $1 is the standard tip for a cocktail server in vegas, it's like a $5 tip here because the patrons here don't tip at all. it's rare in vegas (at a $2 table, no less) that a server comes around before you are ready for another drink. and the $2 tables are great, single deck, with no 6:5. however, the $1 drinks at the bar leave much to be desired. the casino is relaxed, the staff dresses casual. this place is perfect for a guys trip to vegas, as the fairer sex might be a bit disgusted.

What a place!

After leaving the Hilton to stay at the Gold Spike, it was quite a shock. I lovingly referred to it as the "ghetto". After entering the building and not seeing the "front desk", I finally inquired and found it. The person at the desk was very friendly. My husband and I checked in and took the elevator to the third floor. It seemed OK once we got off the elevator. It looked nice till we got into our room. Small, dark, and smelled strongly of Febreeze or something similar. It was close to Fremont Experience and a place with 14 theaters. That was nice! The other thing I didn't like was there was a knock on our door in the middle of the night, but luckily nothing happened from that. We ate breakfast before leaving which was good, but not great. You had to order your own and pick it up when ready. Different, but I felt lucky to be leaving the next day alive!!

Decent place that grows on you

Like some readers, I was a bit apprehensive about what to expect after reading the reviews. For $25-$30 a night, it was pretty decent! My husband and I were put off initially upon entering the very smokey casino, but after checking into our room, the place started to grow on us :-)

The room was clean and decent, and perfect for what we needed-- a bed and a shower. The air conditioning worked fine-- a little loud, but nothing too disturbing (and I am the world's lightest, most sensitive sleeper!) The food at the diner was pretty good, too-- nothing fancy, but great prices for decent quality meals.

Location was pretty ideal-- right in downtown, walking distance to Fremont, and a short ride to the Strip. And the service staff was really friendly!

The only negative comment I'd have is the smokiness of the casino, but really-- we didn't come to Vegas to stay holed up in one hotel/casino. So unless you're super sensitive to smoke (which you'll only get walking through the casino) I'd recommend the Gold Spike as a good, cheap place to hang your hat at the end of the day.

Greg on point as we approach the Gold SpikeGreg on point as we approach the Gold Spike

questions about Las Vegas

by sophieh

Hello,

First, have you ever been to the Goldspike Hotel in Las Vegas (Ogen st / 4th st) ?
What is your opinion about it ?
Is the area safe (car park, etc.) ?

Moreover, do you know if it is easy and cheap to park a car near the strip on a friday night ?

Thanks a lot

by joesorce

Most of tourist-Vegas is pretty safe. The Gold Spike is a run-down, smoky casino hotel in probably the least desirable neighborhood, but still considered safe. The rooms are clean but bare-bones. On weeknights, for about $10 more, you can find much nicer rooms just up the street in better areas.

All the strip hotels have large free parking lots, and even free valet parking (but most people tip the valet a buck or two).

by raevnzno

I agree with Joesorce......Gold Spike is ok, but for not much more you'd probably be happier at one of the hotels on Freemont. All the hotels have free parking....some of them downtown only require that you get your ticket validated. Their way of forcing you through the casino, hoping you'll drop a dime or two. Make sure that you see the light show at least one evening, on Freemont street canopy........ya can't miss it

by mac2000

Check out ratelv.com too. There's better places to stay.

Comments