Golden Gate Hotel and Casino

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Golden Gate Hotel - Full of History

This is Las Vegas’ most historic hotel and casino having established in 1906. It offers a friendly, intimate atmosphere that’s reminiscent of classic times.

Golden Gate Hotel and Casino is located at One Fremont Street, the place where you can simply step outside its door into the excitement of the Fremont Street Experience — Las Vegas’ most dynamic street scene.

I like the location of the hotel and the rate is not that expensive.

• Graeme_Webb's Profile Photo

Cheap and Chearful - Vegas on a budget tip 3

OK,
    I went to Vegas on my own and on a really LOW budget.
    So i decided to stay at the Golden Gate Hotel on Freemont street in downtown .

The hotel was right at the start of the freemont street experience, which is a spectacular light show (see more in that tip).
    Anyway, i checked in. The room, apperently was a non-smoking room, yet it still stank of smoke. The room was basic, nice but in general could have done with a proper full clean. They could also do with a paint job and the en-suite toliet/shower could do with a hard clean (although it was ok).

My room was towards the main road and at night the traffic was loud.

The hotel has an old / traditional feel to it which I really liked. The restaurant was Fantastic, serving proper decent food (not like the all you can eat crap, you find every where else). However be prepaired to wait for a while.

The most disappointing thing about staying downtown were the buses, (see more in the buses tip), one night it took me about 90mins (yes an hour and a half) to get from South Strip to my hotel!!!!!!!

Generally a nice cheap hotel, for those on a tight budget

Unique Quality: Traditional feel, like I imagine Vegas used to be.

Directions: Walk to the end of freemont street

More about Golden Gate Hotel and Casino

This dump was so bad that I checked out right away...

I booked this hotel for CES 2006 as other hotels were not available at the time of booking. What a mistake! This hotel should be condemned. The room was absolutely filthy. It was like a bad dream. The only other downtown hotel I have stayed at before was the Golden Nugget. This was no nugget. After apologizing to my wife, I proceeded to telephone other hotels for room availability. Fortunately the Excalibur had rooms available. I checked out immediately and cut my losses. My advice, stay Away

Terrible?!

The word TERRIBLE doesn't even begin to describe what I walked into! I travel to Las Vegas frequently on business and stay a your average hotel. However, since I was staying two extra days for personal time I had to stay some place different. Actually a friend set up the hotel arrangements. She arrived a night before I did and ended up changing rooms the next morning because the window in the room they gave her was right above the bus depot. Although the next room wasn't much better. In an old hotel you expect a little run down, a little noise but WOW! I ended up taking photos of the room. When I entered the room I had a greasy substance on my hand after I touched the door. This should have been the 'sign'! I don't think the room has ever been dusted or even swept. On several of the walls there were stains that I don't even want to know what it was. The bathroom floor actually had tiles that came up with your feet if you stepped on them. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

The casino is the draw

by TripAdvisor Member doct0r_al

The casino is small and smokey but a historic Vegas gem, especially with the vintage slots on display. Diner is an excellent deal at lunch, and the 99 cent shrimp cocktail at the deli counter in back is a Vegas staple.

The hotel is old, the rooms are small and non-standard and you get a fair amount of hallway noise, so not for light sleepers. On the Fremont street side, the light show goes until midnight, so there will be music playing right outside your room. All that said, I found it to be a clean and decent place, although usually I can get a better deal on a larger room elsewhere downtown.

Nice place and the Shrimp is amazing

This was our second stay at the Golden Gate Hotel, our first was back in 2000. We enjoyed our stay and loved the 99 cent shrimp

The rooms are small and very simple but nice . The hotel is located on the "Freemont Street Experience" with very easy access to other casinos and the Gitter Gutch strip bar. It is a very clean and nice hotel and the staff were great.

If you are going to Vegas but do not want to pay the big bucks to stay at a hotel but be close to everything this is a good place.

I loved this hotel. The piano playing, casino, and shrimp were great.

I would rather stay on Fredmont St. than on the strip. I loved the history behind this hotel. Yes, the rooms were small, but I only slept a couple of hours. If you are staying in Vegas who wants to stay in a hotel room for very long anyway.

Comments