2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

1 Main St, (also known as Jackie Gaughan's Plaza), Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States

Plaza Hotel & Casino
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

• Wonderful beds for the price

Went to renovated Plaza with great anticipation and was not disappointed. Still has a few bugs to be worked out, but a great value. New upscale furnishings. Don't expect service level of four star strip hotels. Plaza also has small baths, which can't really be changed without tearing the place down. I've always been comfortable there, and now its fresh and clean. (Don't look in the stairwells or too closely at the parking garage--I said there were still a few bugs). My suite at the Plaza was only $64, and well worth it, although not much of a view. I hope some of the suites have good views.......

But that bed! As comfortable as any I've slept in. I think they're missing any top decoration--like spread, quilt, coverlet, or anything for that matter. They will bring you a blanket if you want. From the Plaza we stayed at Aria for two nights, and although the room and view were gorgeous, the pillow top bed was too soft for me. I'll take the beds at the Plaza anytime.

Unique Quality: This place has two "destination" restaurants. Oscar's "Beef, booze, and broads" restaurant, belonging to the former mayor of Las Vegas, and "Hash House a go go", a breakfast place also in California I'm told. There's also a McDonald's. Beware the reviews of Oscar's are mixed at best, but its packed on Saturday night. Truly the best thing are the beds. Its also very unusual to have the bathrooms and closet on the outside walls; I only know "Bill's" formerly the Barbary Coast, to be designed like that. It really doesn't mean anything as far as guest convenience.

Stellar address: "One Main Street" At the end of Fremont; you can't miss it.

Directions: Downtown Las Vegas at the West End of Fremont Street.

• intimidation from "security"

Consumer UPDATE on "the Plaza Hotel" Las Vegas
    AVOID AVOID AVOID

Thur 10/20/11
    Gorgeous view, impecible housekeeping, newly remodeled room BUT
    RUDENESS and ARROGANCE negate everything ! AVOID
    Asked to speak w a manager re "edgy behavior" from employee. Was greeted w total UNPROFESSIONALISM (in my opinion) by a big thug looking person dressed slovely and w/o ID who INSISTED escorting me to my room for a "chat" NOT A CHANCE IN HELL w/o knowing who this was. Went to front desk where I was informed that that was head of security and he just stayed in my face !!!
    When "head of security" practices what I felt was unprofessional conduct and intimidation he poses a security threat. BAD NEWS.
    Feelings of threatened security FROM "security." Not a place I want to stay anymore.
    BAD MANAGEMENT. AVOID.
    A interesting example of who to make a bad consumer situation worse. Too many customers I guess !
    This is of course my experience and opinion, yours may be different but beware !

Unique Quality: RUDENESS and UNPROFESSIONALISM
    made worse by ambivolance from Sr. Mgmnt (probably he hired the guy that was the problem).

• Wouldn't go back if you paid me

My husband and I went to Vegas to get married. The hotel was cheap; however, just because you are cheap and getting ready to renovate does not mean that you shouldn't keep your hotel rooms looking nice. We found a COCKROACH in our towel when we opened it up. My husband killed it and saved it and took it down to the manager. Yes, the manager comped us a night for our stay, however; the hotel room had things broken, the t.v. had "snow" on it so you couldn't watch most of the stations, only a few members of the staff, like the one manager and the one girl, RACHEL was very very nice and helpful, the others were rude. Especially the one male manager who when I was in tears because we were stuck at the airport and couldn't get to the hotel and I asked if he could help us out he said there was nothing he could do....the only good thing that happened in Vegas was that we got married and the Freemont Street Experience. And the female manager and Rachel were so helpful; otherwise, I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER recommend this hotel to anyone....no matter HOW cheap it is...save a little more money and splurge on a better hotel....it will be worth it!

Unique Quality: NONE AT ALL!

• You get what you pay for...

r00ms: THis is a very old hotel and definitely needs some work. I was almost scared to stay there because it was not as clean as it should've been. The carpet was filthy and out first room was a hole in the wall. The bathroom is so small but I guess we made it work. We had to change rooms because our first room was terrible. The second room was alot better because it was on a higher level with a better view. The people at the front desk were rude...we had so many problems with our keys...but like i said the 2nd room was better it was comfy for the price we paid and we had a good time.

Casin0: THe casino was great..Im a smoker so the smell didnt bother me much...the slots were awesome and me and my boyfriend won alot of money on them so that was awesome.

Surr0nding attractions: we went for the 4th of july and it was awesome being downtown! across the street they did light shows and also had the best drinks ever...they were a little expensive but they were worth it.

f00d: n0t much to choose from...

ParkinG: n0t bad..l0ng walk from our car t0 our r00m...uggh!!

Unique Quality: I l0veD thA caSiN0...gReAt sl0tS!

• u4me2byte's Profile Photo

The Plaza Needs help

Ok I got in late and had a little problem with checking in.
    After that we went right to bed. In the morning when we woke up the room had a few problems.
    The furniture was in need of upgrading. No ash trays in a smoking room. The lamp shades were torn. We were missing pillows and towels. The house keeping staff was great in replacing the missing towels and pillows.
    There are stains in the carpet Mold in the bathroom, The bathroom vent was soo bad I took a picture after I cleaned it it was still not clean. And the A/C filter had about an inch of filth on it the tag said 10/2005. When I was by the parking elevator on the main floor you could smell burning hydraulic oil.
    This was the second time I had stayed there in 5 years and it needs better maintenance. Last time we were there when the water was backing up the Maintenance guy said it was just an old building. I complained and then there was nothing they could do to help.
    The staff is better now.
    I agree it is an old building but it should be kept up a little better than that!

Unique Quality: Nice view of the strip from the south tower.
    I had a free stay here other than that it would not be worth it.... The price is comparable to better kept places on Fremont street.
    There was a great view of Fremont Street from the sports bar.

Directions: Down Town Las Vegas

• psdeiwert's Profile Photo

Plaza Hotel and Casino - Las Vegas

We stayed with our family (totalling 9 people) at the Plaza over Columbus Day weekend - October 11-13, 2008. It was the second time we stayed at this hotel and both times we had a horrible experience with the customer service at the check in. We booked four rooms online over TripRes three weeks in advance to get the rooms on the same floor right next to each other. When we arrived at the hotel we were told that they didn't have rooms next to each other for us let alone on the same floor. The lady at the check in was very rude and we had to ask for a manager to eventually get some service and surprisingly that they were after all able to place us all on the same floor (not next to each other though). The rooms were in a very bad shape - toilet broken, mold in bathroom and wallpaper hanging off wall. On the positive side: The hotel is very convenient located right in front of Freemont Street and the views from the rooms are great. Our room overlooked Las Vegas with the Stratosphere.

Unique Quality: Hotel is conveniently located right outside Freemont Street and views are great! Buffet is inexpensive and has a good selection. Valet parking available and very convenient. Shuttle service to other hotels and the strip available as well as excellent entertainment at night on Freemont Street. Freemont Street offers great light shows every hour starting at 7 p.m., free live entertainment and shows. It's an excellent location for a two day Las Vegas experience.

• soulgirl's Profile Photo

Decent hotel in the Downtown area of Las Vegas.

In my opinion the hotel was good value for money. The rooms weren't ready on arrival but we were looked after well and ended up in a higher class room to which we had booked. I would definitely go back.

Unique Quality: The hotel offers an indoor swimming pool, tennis courts, shops, hair salon, eating places, casino and much more.

Directions: Downtown.

• doug48's Profile Photo

budget

if you are really on a budget and want to stay downtown the plaza is one of the cheapest high rise hotels in las vegas. it has a good downtown location at the intersection of main and fremont streets. very inexpensive. i have not stayed there so check out their website for more information.

Directions: downtown

• Cheap but very disappointing

We stayed at this hotel at the end of Dec. 2005. Planned our travel late in the holiday season so to stay in budget we booked our stay and airplane tickets as a combo through Expedia.

On our first day, we were told they had reserved a nonsmoking room for us. But when we arrived they only had smoking rooms and they refused to help us change rooms in the later days. Since day two, we were not allowed to even open the windows because of "newly discovered" saftey concerns. (We were able to open them on our first day of stay. No one told us there were any issues.) The carpet and chairs were dotted with cigar burns. The toilet tank filled up so slowly that you could hear water running for a long time at night. Our "room" was connected to our neighbor's room through a wooden door, so we could hear their talk, TV and ...

For two mornings in a row, when we used the shower around 9 am, there was not enough hot water. The bathroom was so small, there was no room for a small trash can even.

The people at the front desk had a very tired and cold look, as if they hated to be there. We certainly do not want to be in that hotel again. It is cheap but you do have to suffer quite a bit. Don't be fooled by the highrise picture. It is a tall building but old and lacks of basic maintainence. I could not believe it was rated 3 star. What we exprienced really ruined our vacation mood...

Unique Quality: This hotel is right on the Fremont Street. It is not close to the popular strip where the great buildings and shows are. You can walk to the bus stops and a drug store. It took us about 40 minutes to get to the edge of strip by bus from the hotel.

• Wouldn't stay here even if it was free!!!

We stayed in this hotel because my mother was comped. She had even said she would never come back unless it was free. My room cost 40 dollars for weekend night in february under this deal. We got in so late they gave my mother a fantastic suite . I was suppose to get one as well but people were in the suite they tried to give me. so i was put in a nice deluxe room down the hall 2339. This was fine and nicely furnished. Bed was comfortable. But the next day since they were sold out they had to move us into a standard room which was what we orginally booked. This ticked me off because i was suppose to get a suite for three night cause they gave my room away. i was fine in the deluxe room. Now they wanted to bonce me around. for One they didn't have a room ready for an immediate switch. Thay bell men were unhelpful about taking our luggage into storage. so we had to move it ourselves to my mother's room untill they could get a room for us. When we finally got another room we were astounded at how shabby it was. But it was clean (I guess). The bedspread were worn in many spots. the carpet stained. The bed was so awful hard and spring poking me i selpt awful i ached in the morning. My boyfriend said he had a better bed in bootcamp. I think you might get a better bed in prison. Does that explain how bad this was??????? By the way If you wnat a big nice Bathroom don't stay at the plaza cause all the bathrooms are small even the ones in suites. i felt they should of compensated us for the hassle and we were not. i guess you get what you pay for.

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo

Old style Vegas

The Plaza Hotel is at the top of Freemont Street. It is old style Vegas for sure. The rooms are worn but very clean and comfortable. I like the convience of being right at the tip of the downtown Freemont Experience yet easy access to the parking garage.

Unique Quality: The Plaza has a nice pool area with a jogging track and tennis courts. If you get a room in the North tower request a view and you can get a great view overlooking Freemont Street.

Directions: From Las Vegas Blvd head north on Main street and the Plaza will be on your left. You need to turn about a block ahead into the parking area.

• AkiSan's Profile Photo

Downtown Vegas Landmark

The Plaza hotel has been around as long as I can remember. You always see it on TV.

We've stayed there twice in the past year, the first time booked through HotelKingdom.com and the second time it was free based on a survey or player's club membership or both. We visit the hotel when we do go to Vegas even if we're not staying there.

The hotel recently underwent a management change, so I'm not sure if anything has changed since June 2004.

The rooms were clean, but about everything shows its age throughout the hotel - a loose wall plate, a bit of worn carpet, dated fixtures, etc. but the beds were comfy, the bathrooms are clean and there were extra pillows and sheets in the closet. The rooms had a lot of space, but they felt "mismatched" or almost as if the furniture didn't fit the room.

We've only eaten at the Diner-style restaurant, good basic food, nothing special. Price-wise, I think I'd go across the street for $9.99 Steak and Lobster instead of paying for a $7.99 cheeseburger - the prices aren't high, they're just higher than you'd expect in a town with a lot of $0.99 food. There is an AM breakfast buffet and a PM Chinese buffet, as well as an upscale restaurant overlooking Fremont Street.

The casino shows its age also - it used to stretch from one end of the property to the other- about 2 city blocks? At the end of the property by the check in-desk and food court (Subway, ice cream, gift shop), they tried to put a casino extension but there are so few machines it looks like they just tossed a few extra machines wherever they could put them and forgot about them. Even the car giveaway slots are a few machines around a Mini-Cooper in a barren spot in front of the on-site McDonald's.

Pricewise, when I go to Vegas I go to gamble and get away from home - a $300 hotel room that I only spend a few hours in is not my style - so the downtown prices are perfect for me - you can find the $300 rooms too if you want, it is still Las Vegas!

Unique Quality: The casino has a clubby old-style feel and all the usual slot machines, Keno, Sports Book, and Bingo! Yes, I like bingo, it is quite fun :)

There's an outdoor deck between the hotel towers with tennis courts, a pool & a jogging path. There's also an indoor exercise room with a treadmill, bike, etc.

Views are so-so, you either look over the Downtown area or over the adjoining industrial (empty yards and train tracks) area.

Despite the slightly dated feel of the property, I like the location- it is walking distance to all of the other downtown properties (and a metro bus station. I think downtown is 2 miles from the Stratosphere, the hotel that "ends" the Strip at the northern end: a cab ride to the end of the Strip is a few dollars, and you can catch a shuttle or start walking to the rest of the Strip. In 2004 a monorail started running, not sure to which Strip properties, but you can Google it. I've walked about half the length of the Stip a few times, it's a looooong walk!

For the downtown area itself, there is always foot traffic but not the back-to-back mess you find on the Strip. The Freemont Street Experience offers a light show and music and activities in a pedestrian mall all year long.

The rates are pretty low, so I can't complain. The less I spend on the room, the more I can gamble with (or take home). My review of room rates may not reflect what someone else finds - I only book the Plaza through HotelKingdom.com or with the coupons I get directly from the Plaza. If I had to pay full price...I'd pay up to $100 US a night for a double room. Any more than that and I would try Priceline.com and see where $100 would get me - remember, I'm a gambler :) No matter where we stay though, we always make a trip to the Plaza.

The Plaza does have its charms - I like the fact that the cocktail waitresses actually wear clothing instead of just nylons and a thong. We'll see if the new management makes any changes for the better. From sketches on the website, it looks like they have a lot of plans.

Directions: It is one of the tallest downtown Las Vegas hotels and can be seen from the freeways and strip.

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo

Inexpensive weekend room

The last time I was in Las Vegas I moved to The Plaza downtown because I'd never stayed in the downtown before and also because it was a weekend and I was able to get rates of only $50 per night. As most of you know, rates general go sky high on the weekend.

Unique Quality: My room in the Plaza was large and while it wasn't fancy, it was clean and otherwise perfectly fine. I asked for a room with a view of the Fremont Experience, and the room was situated right above the end and I had a great view.
    It's just as well, because I intended to walk around and enjoy it more, but since it was the end of a weeklong visit to LV, my energy level was seriously lagging.
    I had rented a car, and the parking garage was okay, but you had to have a ticket if you were a guest so you didn't have to pay, and at least once I lost it and had to go through some rigamorole to get a new one.

More about Plaza Hotel and Casino - Las Vegas

Plaza CasinoPlaza Casino

from Las Vegas to Bakersfield CA

by oztemptatious

I need to travel from Las Vegas to Bakersfield. I cannot get a direct flight or a train. Could someone please tell me how to get between these two places by public transport.
Much appreciated.

Re: from Las Vegas to Bakersfield CA

by Docu2001

Public transportation in the american west is terrible to non-existent. You should look for a Bus - it's probably the only means available. Renting a car is the standard mode of transport. Greyhound and Trailways are two national bus lines - try a "google" search of bus lines in Nevada and California - there are probably some regional lines running. There are often special buses to bring suckers (oops) tourists into Las Vegas.

Re: Re: from Las Vegas to Bakersfield CA

by grandmaR

You can't go to or from Las Vegas by Amtrak (train). You'd do better to fly to Vegas and then take a bus to Bakersfield.

Here's the URL and bus schedule

Bakersfield - Las Vegas

V V Rest Stops V V
D 4:20p D 6:10p ---- Baker, CA 10:45a 12:35p
D 5:10p D 7:00p ---- Ar Primm, NV - Whiskey Pete's Dp 9:55a 11:45a
5:50p 7:40p 2:10a Ar Las Vegas - Plaza Hotel Dp 9:15a 11:05a

C -- Guaranteed train-bus connection.
D -- Stops only to discharge passengers.
G -- Bus operated by Greyhound lines. Schedule subject to change without notice.
R -- All reserved train or bus.
V -- 15 minute rest stop at MacDonalds east of the Amtrak station or at Baker.

Re: from Las Vegas to Bakersfield CA

by Paulie_D

I have to agree with the previous posts. Bus would seem to be your only option. Since you seem averse to flying.

www.greyhound.com or www.amtrak.com