Sahara Las Vegas Hotel and Casino

2535 Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89109, United States

• Not for Non Smokers

Unique Quality: STINKY AND SMOKY EVEN AFTER IT IS SPRAYED. THE SMOKE FROM THE CASINO IS PUMPED RIGHT INTO YOUR ROOM. IF ONE IS A NONSMOKER BUSINESS TRAVELER THEN THE SAHARA HOTEL IS NOT FOR YOU. THE CARPET IS OLD AND THE ROOMS SMELL OF CIGARETTE ASH TRAYS. THE LAMPS ARE IN DISREPAIR. THE BED IS HARD AND CHEAP WITH ONLY 3 PILLOWS. THE TV IS OLD AND ABOUT 24 INCHES. THERE IS NO HAIR CONDITIONER-- ONLY SHAMPOO AND SOAP. THE HANGARS IN THE CLOSET AREN'T FOR SUITS OR NICE CLOTHS. THE HOTEL NEEDS A MAKEOVER AND A NEW HEAT/COOLING AIR SYSTEM. YOU MAY READ OTHER REVIEWS THAT ARE GOOD BUT THOSE ARE EITHER PLANTED THERE BY THE HOTEL OR BY PEOPLE WHO SMOKE AND DRINK SO MUCH THEY DON'T CARE. IF YOU SMOKE AND DRINK SO MUCH THAT YOU DON'T CARE-- GO FOR IT AND STAY AT THE SAHARA. I HAVE NEVER STAYED IN A WORSE MOTEL 6. THE ONLY GOOD THING WAS THAT THE EMPLOYEES WERE NICE.

Directions: OLDER PART OF THE STRIP

• edss's Profile Photo

Filthy and far away...

Let me start by saying that I would never, ever recommend for anyone to stay at this hotel. When we booked it we knew it was one of the older hotels and so expected it to not be modern, but never did we expect it to be as filthy as it was. The carpet was dirty (looks like 30 years worth of accumulated dirt) with stains on top of the dirt. The bathroom was our next surprise as there were plenty of cracked tiles and the sink was cracked. Then we noticed that the faucet (looks like the cheap original one from when it was built) squirted water to from behind the lever to both sides of the sink. Grabbing the towel was the next shock as the towels were dingy and one even had mascara smeared on it. Surprisingly the bedsheets were clean which is the only positive experience we had in this hotel. The balcony had used teabags and croutons all over it even though it was private to that room. The desk was falling apart as well. On top of all this the main part of the strip is a long, long walk away. In the morning (we let them know that same evening that we would not be staying any longer, but we arrived at 11PM and really couldn't fathom moving immediately) we went down for breakfast before making the long haul to our new hotel. The food at the buffet was terrible. The cafeteria food at the VA Hospital canteens is absolutely delightful compared to this. Nothing tasted fresh and everything was bland. The best part of the Sahara was that the monorail is right there making it convenient to escape this decrepit place. Stay anywhere else. We found the Luxor for just a few dollars more per night and it was great.

Unique Quality: It was quite unique that the smell of cigarette smoke was noticeable throughout the hotel, whereas in other hotels people smoked, but the smell was not apparent. Also there is a roller coaster in front and the monorail is a convenient escape. They claim "the Sahara offers 1,720 classically styled guestrooms and Las Vegas suites decorated in a Moroccan motif" and that it offers a classic Las Vegas experience with modern amenities" but that is not what I experienced unless they consider a bed, plumbing, and a swamp cooler as modern amenities.

Directions: Far north end of the strip

• rdywenur's Profile Photo

Desert Surpise

I arrived to a bomb threat. Could not check in nor could my friends come down to the lobby. Total lockdown. Decided to grab my cell phone and call an old friend in hopes of helping me kill some time. Since my friends picked the hotel, I was very surprised at how nice it was and I had considered it a bad choice since it was at the end of the Strip. But a bus or cab, even can walk to other nearby hotels that aren't that far away and so not as bad as I anticipated. Biggest surprise was the price of the room. I believe I only paid like 30.00 a night.

Unique Quality: What I liked the most was the fact it was small enough not to get lost in but big enough to have everything I wanted. Since most of our time is not spent in a room this was perfect. I now had more money to play with. I found the pool nice enough for my taste. My only other problem I encountered was my hair dryer dying on me and I could not get one from room service quickly enough without being late for a show I was to go see. (I guess it wasn't a priority for them only me)

• exploreDawg's Profile Photo

Balcony for a smoke?

The only place I know that allows smoking and has walk out balconies is the Sahara. It is definitely one of the 'older' casinos and showing its age. But my cigar smoking friends loved sitting out on the strip view balcony enjoying a good cigar. Not all the rooms there have the balconies, you need to ask ahead.

• Always happy

I visit Las Vegas every May for a Nat'l Pool Competition. I always stay at the Sahara. Upon arrival the Bell Desk is very helpful. Especially with my handicapped mother. Checking in: If you book with a credit card you can skip the lines and use the quick check in (electronic system). Just be sure you have the same card you booked your reservation with. Or you have to stand in line. I think the check in desk could use more help. The first impression you get of a hotel, is upon checking in. Long waits after a long flight and transfers is very bothersome to say the least. The rooms are clean , the beds are uncomfortable though. We have gotten beds where the mattresses sink down. Probably due to be replaced. Room service is great. Pretty reasonably priced and the food is good. The hotel dinning is fair.
    Entertainment is good. Just like all the hotels though. Every year same ole shows. The tram is great. I thought it was fairly priced.
    My overall experience with the Sahara is very good. I would surely recommend it to any one looking for value, service, cleanliness, and
    and an entertaining experience.

• doug48's Profile Photo

budget

the sahara is another historic hotel on the las vegas strip. like the rivera it is one of the oldest hotels on the strip. inexpensive.

Directions: the strip, (las vegas blvd).

• Pleasantly Surprised!

I'm just home from my first trip to Vegas! Four nights and a late flight home with a friend who has family there. She had never stayed anywhere but her mom's house! We chose the Sahara based on price and location.

After reading traveler reviews various places online, I was a little nervous, and a lot surprised by how well it went.

We spent little time in our room, so the basic accomodations were just fine for us. The room looked just fine when we checked in, but after leaving a tip for the maids on the first morning the place looked awesome when we returned. Tip the maids, and they will take care of you!

Front desk service - for anything at all - was quick and friendly; a very important thing to two women who work in the service industry. From the guy who checked us in to the lady I told I'd pay a dollar for a pen (who knew I'd want a pen???) and then didn't want to take the dollar (I left it anyway!) to the various folks who answered our goofy questions with good nature and a smile were all tops in service. Check in was easy and quick, too. During our stay, the longest line I saw at the desk was about ten people.

My companions mom and sister got it in their heads to stay one night. Their first idea was to stay in our room...um, NO. So my friend called the front desk to inquire about the room that adjoined ours. Not a problem, and they gave them the same great rate we got from TripRes.com for the night.

The bathroom was basic, but everything drained well and was clean.

I only have two complaints: 1). having to dress and go downstairs for much needed coffee in the morning was a pain, but that's pretty standard on the strip; and 2). the ice machine outside our room was broken. I just took the stairs up one flight and got my ice on that floor.

We didn't want to do the late checkout thing - just because we wanted to spend that last day on the strip. They held our luggage at the bell desk, and the folks working there were just as wonderful as everywhere else.

Unique Quality: We both work in face to face customer service, so we can be quite cranky about less than stellar service. We didn't run into any of that here! From the front desk to the casino to the cashiers to housekeeping and bellhops, everyone was just great - friendly, helpful, sense of humor.

The Sahara is one of the last "old Vegas" hotels on the Strip, and that was one of the things that attracted me. The casino area is small, but the slots paid pretty well. I went down to cash a travelers check one afternoon and noticed an area I hadn't seen before. Walked in, put a five in a nickle machine, played four or five spins...and quit, because I took $18 out of the machine. So while it's not the flashiest casino, it's worth playing.

The Party Pit was a blast for two middle aged chicks. Not only was the music "our" music, but the waitress dressed in 60's retro right down to her white go-go boots and the Burn Your Bra Bar just cracked us up.

Directions: Far North Strip, but the monorail station is right outside the door! They just lowered the price on the monorail for an all day ticket, and we took advantage of it.

• SAVE $4 A DAY

I have stayed here twice and found it to be clean and cheap, on my second visit I left my credit card details for extras and was charged $3 per day for environmental tax and $1 per day for local telephone calls, on my previous visit I did not leave my CC details and was not charged, I will stay again but will not give my CC details just drop my room card in the fast check out box.

The room service was excellent as I always tip a couple of bux a day and get new clean sheets daily, used the free safety deposit boxes and was served with no problems.

The prime beef dinner is awful, even at $7.99 stay clear and eat elsewhere. If you want beer in your room don't use the hotel shop, cross over the street to the souveneer shop and get the same at almost $10 a case cheaper, ask for a room fridge (for meds) and its free.

Being on the monorail makes it easy to get about but pricey.

The rest rooms in the casino are very smelly and dirty, avoid them.

• Cheap accommos do exist on the Strip

Sahara is one of the older hotels on the Strip but is still in good nick considering. Nice big pool and spa, mini mart, casino, bars, restaurants, monorail station, even its own rollercoaster. Standard room and quiet where we were. A it far from the main action of the Strip but about a 10 mins walk to Circu Circus, Riviera Slots of Fun.

Unique Quality: has its own rollercoaster

Directions: northern end of the Strip

• LADYTING's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel

First let me just say, I plan my entire trip manually for 8 days, 7 nights and airfare it was a total of $550.00 person and that was a great price. I chose the Sahara because of the price and I thought it was a little closer to the Strip (which it's not) however this is a very nice hotel-- they will charge you a $1.00 per day for the phone (whether you use it or not) and a $3.00 charge for the energy bill. But other than that it's great. The bellhop, front desk and most of the staff are very friendly. The maid service is great if you choose to sleep in they will come back several time or even ask you when the best time for them to come back and service your room. They have a 24 hour restaurant open in case you get hungry-- I did not like there food at all buffet not any of the 3 restaurants they have in there. I was not fond of the way they made their drinks either.

Unique Quality: The view is pretty good we had more of a night time view from my window and my girl friends they had more of a daytime view. The Sahara has a Nascar theme so it has a bright red, yellow, and black decor. It also has a Roller Coaster everyone seems to love it. Across the street is a General Store, it sells everything. Souvenirs, Wine & Spirits, and health and beauty. Pretty much it is a one-stop shop. There is also a Special K (gas station) you can get snacks breakfast milk etc. In case you do not want to spend hotel prices. There is also a McDonalds and an IHOP in the same general area.

• nice, small, traditional Las Vegas

A nice hotel, located north of the 'main' hotels of the strip, near Stratosphere tower. I think it's one of the oldest hotels on the strip and quite small compared to some others...

Unique Quality: If you're having a rest poolside you can hear the screaming from the top of Stratosphere tower where some guests are having 'fun' ...

• Best for getting down town the sahara is.......

The rooms were clean and fresh the staff were helpfull..the food was ok in the morings but in the evenings it was a bit bland for some reason..

Unique Quality: The nascar hotel meet all the drivers at nascar time..the nascar simulator..The mono rail right on your door step to take you to any of the other hotels was great ...

• tahte's Profile Photo

Glitzy outside, average inside

In a classic case of "you get what you pay for", I got a clean room and a comfotable bed for $34/night (excluding the $4/night energy and phone surcharges). Casino is OK.

Unique Quality: You get a nice view of the nearby mountains from the elevator banks on the higher floors.

Directions: Northern end of the strip

• Nice hotel for the price

We went here because it was part of a package. For the price we paid it was a nice hotel. Definitely not one of the fancier hotels on the strip but if you want fairly cheap accomodations and still be on the strip I would recommend staying here.

Unique Quality: One of the things that I really liked was that they have a Mexican restaurant (I forgot the name) that made some of the best food I ever tasted. They also have a rollercoaster in the Nascar cafe that almost gave me a heart attack lol.

Directions: It is towards the end of the strip near the Statosphere and the Las Vegas Hilton.

• jhane27's Profile Photo

Sahara's the home away from home

I must say its a nice and inexpensive place to stay. Check-In was very quick..The front desk staff are very helpful and honest about things ..which is good!! I stayed here for a week and had a great stay. The maid staff are very friendly and do their job very quickly. If you don't want maid service they check on you to see if everything is fine. I ordered room service which was some damn good food..LOL. Their chocolate cake & carrot cake is very good!

The pool is great too..But I loved their jaquzzi especially...The pool is only 3ft deep. But its a great way to meet people and enjoy the sunshine. Beware the pavement gets mighty hot...Dont walk around barefoot!

Unique Quality: Its location is very close to downtown vegas. Fremont Street. You can always catch the 301 bus up & down the strip 24 hours a day. There's a cheap liquor/souvenoir/convienent store right behind the hotel. Just outside the Nascar Cafe Exit.

Paco's mexican restaraunt are great...they give more then enough to eat. The waiters are very nice and get your food out to you quickly. It has an authenic spanish romantic atmosphere.

The Caravan Cafe stays open 24 hrs. Their breakfast food is the best!!

More about Sahara Las Vegas Hotel and Casino

Stratoshere & Sahara HotelStratoshere & Sahara Hotel

Sahara Hotel and Casino

by jve

Anyone stayed at Sahara Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas? Any good or bad experiences? How is the location etc? What I shouldn`t miss in Las Vegas?

by Foundryman1

I was there two months ago-I saw the Amazing Jonathan at a theater there. Every hotel has a theme and the Saharas is Car Racing.If you like Nascar it's paradise if not it's just strange.I thought the food was awful there (tight schedule couldn't have avoided it but now that I look back I should have gone hungry)...There are better hotels out there

by Martinewezel

Only went there for the Nascar roller coaster. A great experience. Staying in the Luxor, we took our car to get there, but if not during hot Summer temperatures, a fair walk would be ok. The Sahara's location is indeed far from "where it all happens" on the Strip. It has the looks of an older hotel, but I have no reason to believe that the facilities are outdated.

by tomhoward

the rides on the top of the stratosphere...

by St_Vincent

I've not stayed at the Sahara but, apart from the Stratosphere, it is at the end of the Strip.

My recommendations for things to do,

Go to the top of the Stratosphere
See the Bellagio fountains
Have a walk around Caesars and the Venetian
See the lightshow on Fremont St Downtown

Cheers
Clive

by JOHNNY_ENGLISH

SECOND RATE HOTEL AT THE NORTH END OF THE STRIP ABOUT 2 MILES FROM THE MAIN ACTION.

GOOD THING IS THAT THERE IS A MONORAIL STATION AT THE BACK OF THE CASINO WHERE YOU CAN CATCH THE MONORAIL AS RIGHT DOWN AS FAR AS THE MGM GRAND.

ITS NOW $5.00 A SINGLE RIDE SO GET THE ALL DAY PASS OR BETTER STILL A WEEK OR 10 DAY PASS TO SAVE MONEY.

Comments