Tropicana Las Vegas

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• ann500's Profile Photo

Great Place

I loved this place!! Unfortunately, we stayed at the Excalibur right across the street and found it completely tacky. But luckily the Tropicana was right next door and that's where we spent the majority of our time! Since we didn't actually stay at the Tropicana, I can't comment on their hotel rooms.

I saw a lot of other hotel casinos and found them to be quite corporate-feeling. But the Trop has real charm, maybe the feeling of old Las Vegas. In addition, it has a free show called "Air Play" (I think it was on about 5 or 6 times a day) with really HOT male and female acrobats and arialists. The arialists perform right above your head, going back and forth across a long wire stretched across the barrel-shaped ceiling with beautiful Tiffany glass. Really exciting, one of the most amazing physical performances I have ever seen. Make sure you stop by the coupon person outside to get some good deals (margaritas for a buck!) and a free pack of cards you pick up inside. The inside of the casino is quite nice too with lots of mirrors repeating the Tiffany glass/reflecting theme. The feeling inside the casino is quite friendly and fun, I didn't get the aloof vibe that I picked up at other places. We did pretty well at the Blackjack table too and had a very funny dealer who gave us good advice. I'll definitely stay here when I return to Las Vegas. Actually, I didn't think I would like Las Vegas at all, but this place really helped to change my mind. Now I'm looking forward to going back. There's just something about this place...

UPDATE from 2005: I understand that the "Airplay" show is no longer being shown... what a pity.

• bilbos0's Profile Photo

Tropicana's not all that

The hotel was much older than i expected. There seemed to be a smell that would not go away. The price was right and was my first trip to sin city. I visited other hotels while i was there and plan on making a second trip soon. The price was right for the Tropicana but i think that i'll research a little more and enjoy something a bit on the newer side.
    As far as service, nobody went out of there way to make it special. Vegas yes, Tropicana No....

Directions: Tropicana is located at the end of the strip, which made it easy to visit and see other Hotels and casino's

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Getting a little grey around the edges

Check-in wasn't much of a problem. The bell staff was a little surly. We were in the cheaper rooms (the motel style rooms in back called the "garden" rooms). It's a bit of a hike to get to the casino from these rooms. The decor is a little dated, but other than that, the rooms are pretty clean. The hotel is in a pretty great location for the South Strip, especially since they have the pedestrian bridges to the MGM and Excalibur. A good coffee shop and a terrible buffet. Casino is below average as far as table games due to high minimums.

Some of the neighboring casinos (Luxor, MGM) are more modern for a similar price, so I'd check those out first.

Unique Quality: Went in early spring before it was pool weather so we didn't get to try the "swim-up" blackjack, a fairly unqiue idea.

Directions: South Strip

• pamstravels's Profile Photo

Location, Location, Location

We didn't have a choice in which hotel we could stay in during our trip in 2003. My husbands company picked this one. After reading many iffy reviews about this hotel I armed myself with insider information on how to make the experience enjoyable. I changed our room from Garden to the Tower. These rooms are rumoured to be better. We were pleased! Old decore but clean and the view from our room looked out onto the strip - The Luxor beam of light, The Excalibure lighted turrets, New New York's towers and roller coaster.

The location is ideal and good value for the price. Because we were there for a convention the prices were higher than usual.

Unique Quality: Even in November the gardens were pleasing to walk through.

Directions: Corner of Las Vegas Blvd and Tropicana.

• toontown's Profile Photo

Best deal on the Strip

The Tropicana is one of the older hotels on the Vegas Strip. It's large by normal hotel standards (1,800 rooms and suites, contained in two 22-storey towers and some low-rise buildings) but small compared to it's immediate neighbours (MGM Grand, Excalibur, Luxor, New York, New York). It is also less splashy to look at from the outside, more traditional Vegas, although it has beautiful outdoor pools (and the only indoor pool on the Strip) and tropically landscaped grounds, approx. 5 acres in size.

What this means is that you can get amazing deals if you go at the right time, mid-week usually. We went right after New Years from Sunday to Wednesday. I booked online directly with the Tropicana (see web site below, guaranteed lowest rates) and got a room for $35 US/night! This was much cheaper than buying an air/hotel package. However, if we had stayed one more night the price would have skyrocketed to nearly $300 for Thursday night. A calendar on the Trop website makes it very easy to plan if you are looking to save money.

The staff were great. When we checked in we were automatically given a free upgrade to an Island Tower room (no bribe required, although tip appreciated). The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet, although definitely not new. Mirrors everywhere - even over the bed! Great big soaker tub. Terrific view of the Strip. All the usual amenities, except no coffee maker (they want you to go downstairs past the slot machines to get coffee.)
    We didn't eat much in the hotel but the cafe, Calypsos, was quite good (see separate review). We had been warned off the buffet but there were several other restaurants to choose from.

Unique Quality: Some of the hotel attractions: old-style Vegas show Folies Bergere, magic show, Comedy Stop, free tropical bird show, free ariel acrobatic show in casion 'Airplay', Casino Legends museum.

The location is really good. Located on the South Strip, the Tropicana is close to the airport (only about a $10 cab ride) and also close to some of the most interesting hotels and attractions. The location combined with the unbeatable price and decent accommodations makes it a real winner!

Directions: On the corner of Tropicana Avenue and Las Vegas Blvd. (aka The Strip), across from the MGM Grand.

• Gigi44's Profile Photo

Avoid Tropicana!

The first impression of this hotel was that it was old & in desperate need of a renovation. We were greeted by unhelpful bellmen in total chaos and a front desk clerk who scolded me for not having my name on the reservation along with my husbands! Once we arrived in our overpriced room, we found it to be clean and comfortable. The housekeeping staff was very nice and courteous. The pool area was messy but attractive. Only problem with that area was the waterfall and garden areas were poorly maintained. We saw a dead bird floating in the water the entire stay (4 nights). Casino...well, we weren't happy with this area either because of their misleading advertisement. They didn't fulfill promises according to their multitude of ads! The only thing going for this place is the location and the housekeeping staff. I definetely would NOT stay here again!

Unique Quality: Housekeeping staff.

Directions: On the Strip

• jet_macabuhay's Profile Photo

Las Vegas' Great Place

Affordable.

Unique Quality: A 22 story Paradise Tower ideally located just off the casino floor with views of the Las Vegas Strip.

• kbsunnyside's Profile Photo

Not too great

We did not stay in a tower and the rooms were basic. The halls were drab as if the place was getting ready for reconstruction. It was a relatively affordable stay.

They do have location, location, location and easy access to a tram which can take you down the strip.

Unique Quality: The outdoor space and pools were VERY nice.

We were there for a wedding and the chapel, service and surrounding gardens/pools were a wonderful surprise. Well done with a nice ambiance

Directions: On one of four corners with NY NY, MGM and Excalibur.

• virtualpatrick's Profile Photo

@ the Tropicana

The hotel complex has 2 towers (Paradise and Island Tower are about 20 stories each) and garden level rooms (2 stories). Tower rooms cost about $10-$20 more than garden rooms in general.

Stayed at the Paradise Tower with views of the strip. Pretty cool seeing the southern end of the strip at night.

Prices vary depending on which type of room you want and day of the week. Deals can be had so that it's $39-$49 during off-peak days such as Mon-Wed night during June. See www.vegas.com or www.tripreservations.com for deals on Vegas lodging.

Unique Quality: Pool area and wedding chapel has a tropical theme. Main pool has a swim-up bar - how convenient!

Hotel is located on the southern end of the strip. Across the hotel via a walkway on the strip is a FREE air-conditioned tram serving the Excalibur, Luxor, and Mandalay Bay resorts.

Across the hotel on Tropicana Ave is the MGM resort. In 2004 there will be a tram from MGM all the way up to the Sahara - so basically 90% of the strip will be covered.

Directions: Las Vegas Boulevard at Tropicana Ave.

• UK_GUY_LOVES_VEGAS's Profile Photo

Trop is Top

This has got to be the best Hotel in Vegas. It is smack bang in the heart of all the action, only 5 mins from the airport and reasonably priced. It has some of the most lush pools of any hotel and the rooms are equally as good.

Unique Quality: One of my favourite things is that you can book a "graden room" which overlooks the pool and you don't have to walk through the casino to get to your room (unlike every other hotel)

Directions: South of The Strip

• mbstone's Profile Photo

Vegas Trop Has Seen Better Days

This used to be one of my favorite hotels. There are still many positive qualities to the place such as beautifully landscaped grounds, beautiful swimming pools and spas, some of which are open all night, and a friendly staff. Stay in the front tower and you will be steps from walkways to MGM, NYNY, Excalibur.

Unique Quality: Downside: The hotel is now managed by Atlantic City greedheads who installed painfully bright white lights in the casino and tore out the moving walkway to the rear tower. The property overall is generally rundown and is no longer competitive with the newer Strip hotels (i.e. all the other hotels) but, conversely, this means the rates have come down. They used to comp generously but they no longer do. The owners are spending $250M to upgrade their Atlantic City property and $0 on this one, that should tell you something.

• tmyroniak's Profile Photo

Casino

Tropicana rooms ok, but no hair dryers. Walls are paper thin. Hotel is dated, but generally clean. Good location as it's across the street from the MGM and New York New York. Sports book is really small, and the seats we're full on Sunday for the 10am football games. I probably wouldn't stay here again unless there was nothing else available on the strip.

Unique Quality: Coupon book upon registration with free T-shirt, Cheeseburger and gaming discounts.

Directions: next to MGM

• Avryle's Profile Photo

Tropicana Resort & Casino

Around $50-$150 per night. The Trop is usually one of the least expensive hotels on the strip when there's a big event in town.

Unique Quality: One of the easiest hotels to get to from the freeway.

• Tropicana

40 $ or something for a double room, sponsored by the casino

Unique Quality: Quite cheap, fantastic buffet, nice rooms

• ricknkat's Profile Photo

Old-school Vegas casino hotel

The Tropicana. Although it is fairly old school and some might say downright scummy compared to all the other brandspankingnew mega resorts, I still like the 'Trop'. Heck, it was swank enough in it's day to have a whole street named after it wasn't it?? We rented a room a few years ago to watch the Hacienda implosion and really had a great time. They had fake bamboo trim and a real mirror on the ceiling over the bed. Now if that isn't high class I don't know what is. They also have a swim-up blackjack table, which is pretty decadent and swank Vegas chic. It's also pretty dang cheap comparativly. I don't know the room rates but they're way cheaper than all the other big joints and you're still right in the middle of all the action (baby).

Unique Quality: It's super close to the more swanky hotels and lots cheaper.

More about Tropicana Las Vegas

Tropicana Resort & CasinoTropicana Resort & Casino

ORLEANS SHUTTLE

by pepsi2

WHERE DO YOU GET THIS FROM ON THERE SITE IT JUST SAYS STRIP IS THERE A PICK UP POINT NEAR TO MGM AREA...... THANKS IN ADVANCE

Re: ORLEANS SHUTTLE

by kenstan

Unless its changed it goes from the Orleans to Gold Coast then to Barbary Coast which is now Bills Gambling Hall cornor Las Vegas Blvd & Flamango.MGM is at Tropicana & las Vegas Blvd so its about 1 mile north.

Comments