The Summit at Grand Sierra Resort & Casino

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about The Summit at Grand Sierra Resort & Casino

Some good filling fare

by thecatsmeow about Lindy's

Lindy's is a 24 hour diner/cofeeshop located inside the Reno Hilton. We usually like to have breakfast here. The nicest thing about this place is the help. (well the food also) I think it really says something about a place when the help is the same people visit after visit. I always have had great service and more then one smile to go with it! The restaurant was named for Charles Lindbergh and has an old timey feel to it.
Sad to say that it looks like Lindy's is no longer there. There is however a coffee shop inside the Grand Sierra and I will find out if it is the old Lindy's. If you have not seen my updated Reno Hilton tip the Reno Hilton has been bought out by the Grand Sierra Resort. We shall see what comes of it. :( The pancakes are outstanding and very filling. unless you are extremely hungry stick to the short stack (2 cakes). I like to have blueberries put into mine but you can order them plain as well. The omlettes are very good as well but a little to much for me to eat. We have split one on occasion. And the coffee here is excellent!

It is showtime

by SLLiew

Like in Las Vegas, another great non-gambling thing to do in Reno is to see a show. There are a variety to choose from these venues:

*Atlantis 775-825-4700 800-723-6500

*Boomtown (775) 345-6000 Can Can Theater - Free cabaret entertainment on selected days.

*Circus Circus Hotel & Casino, 500 N. Sierra St., Reno 775-329-0711 All free.

*Eldorado Hotel Casino 775-786-5700 Darren Romeo "The Voice of Magic"

*Grand Sierra (formerly Reno Hilton) 775-789-2285 Teddy Geiger,/Entertanment in The Garage/ Comedy Comedy in the Cinema

*Harrah's Lake Tahoe, 800-HARRAHS - Peter Frampton

*Harrah's Reno 775-788-2900, 800-427-7247 "Let the Good Times Roll" (ongoing)

*Harvey's Lake Tahoe 775-588-2411. 800-553-1022

*Hawkins Amphitheater, Bartley Ranch Regional Park, Bartley Ranch Road 775-828-6642

*Lawlor Events Center 775-784-4444 Sacramento Kings vs New Orleans Hornets

*Montbleu 800-648-3353 775-5883515

*John Ascuaga's Nugget 800-648-1177 Missing Persons & Tommy Tutone

*Peppermill Hotel Casino 775-826-2121 800-648-6992

*Pioneer Center for the Performing Arts 775-686-6600 "Real Magic" with Kalin & Jinger

*Reno Events Center 4th and Center 775-335-8840 Guns 'N Roses

*Silver Legacy 775-329-4777 800-687-7733 Kenny Rogers

Some of us choose the showtimes first as gambling can be done 24 hours. Buy the tickets first before all the money goes to the slots and tables. Great choices, no too advance bookings and easy parking.

The Lodge Buffet

by PinkFloydActuary about The Lodge Buffet (Grand Sierra Resort)

My final meal on the trip was to be one last buffet - many of the buffets in the area have a seafood theme on Friday nights, which is right up my alley. So, I sauntered over here around 7:30, to find out that it was a 90 minute wait. With nothing better to do, I took the buzzer and went to play Video Poker for a while (thankfully, I didn't have to entertain the kids on this trip - others waiting weren't so lucky.) I don't know if this is standard or not, but I was surprised by the long wait. Once I finally got buzzed, I took my seat, then headed around the buffet. Sadly, the Lodge is not a top-tier buffet. The food wasn't bad, but the choices are very limited. From a seafood standpoint, really the only items I saw were peel and eat shrimp and cold crab legs. You can take the crab legs over to someone who will quickly steam them up to warm them up. There was a pizza station and a small salad bar as well - the rest was pretty forgettable. The dessert bar was also lacking - they had a few cookie/brownie items, and a lot of cheesecake and soft serve ice cream.

Now, what I had was quite good, but the selection just wasn't there for me to give a high recommendation. I definitely got enough seafood, but I tend to like more variety than what the Lodge has to offer.

The waitresses were pleasant, although with it being so busy, plates weren't always cleared when I was out for more food. The atmosphere was nice as well.

nicenice

Huffaker HillsHuffaker Hills

Nevada Art MuseumNevada Art Museum

crazycrazy

Swimming pools

by maggiescorner

What hotel has the best swimming pool?

by YVRDave

In Reno, probably the Grand Sierra. In Tahoe probably the Hyatt

by maggiescorner

But isn't that outside the city? With all the renovating etc. is there enough to keep busy without a car? Why no nice pools in this town?

by YVRDave

Reno is more of a Cowboy town. The weather creates a shorter pool season and the wind doesn't help.
Town can be done in one day too. Oh yah, get a car, they are so useful in that part. Tahoe MUST be done

by ramblingrose

The Peppermill has an elaborate outdoor pool. For indoor pools both the Atlantis in Reno and The Nugget in Sparks have nice large pools. If you are looking for something downtown the pool at the Sienna is suppose to be very nice but I haven't seen it myself.

Looking for non-max-bet progressive slots (nickel or penny)

by suziezed

Hi friends - coming down to Reno next week on the bus from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Haven't been in years (maybe last time 2002 or 2003). At our casino here we have a bank of fourteen 2 cent machines that have a variety of progessive jackpots that do not require you to play max bet to win. They are called BC Gold and are wired together with somewhere between 250-300 other similar machines in other casinos throughout the province.

I am wondering if there is anything similar at any of the downtown Reno casinos - progressive machines that don't require you to be playing max bet to win the jackpot. They don't need to be big jackpots - I just enjoy playing with the occasional $10-$15 win to keep me going - but it is frustrating when you've got to be playing max bet to even win the lower level prizes.

I'm also fond of jackpot party machines which have pretty much disappeared from our casino here - if anyone can fill me in on where any of those might be in the downtown area I'd appreciate knowing (nickel).

Thanks - and looking forward to Christmas in Reno (especially buffet at Silver Legacy - yum!).

Susan

Re: Looking for non-max-bet progressive slots (nickel or penny)

by travelgourmet

Casinos in the Reno area have mostly slots that require max betting for progressive jackpots. As for pennies, the casino close to downtown central is Circus Circus that I know of that has penny slots. My mother loved the penny slots at age 89 and living in Sparks, she got out at least once a week to play "her" slots. See Circus Circus website at: http://www.circusreno.com/
Two others that I know of have penny slots. The Grand Sierra, in Reno, has close to 250 penny slots. Rail City in Sparks has close to 300 penny slots. Neither one is right in downtown, but within a couple of miles. Not sure if either has what you are looking for, but here are their websites: http://www.grandsierraresort.com/ and http://www.railcity.com/

Travel Tips for Reno

Ride an art car!

by amyleaps

The Burning Man organization gives special permits to some people to create "Art" cars, buses and vechicles. Many people build them simply to share the enjoyment with others. So make a friend and hop on for the ride. A great way to see the desert!

Hills East of Reno

by mcpangie

Behind Rattlesnake Hill on the eastern edge of Reno (off McCarren) you can drive back into the hills. You'd get to see some scenery shots like this, lots of sagebrush, mustangs, and a nice view of "the biggest little city". Another scenic drive up into the hills would be to go east on State Route 431 to Virginia City.

Comments