Wonder Lodge

Nevada Historical MuseumNevada Historical Museum

Circus CircusCircus Circus

RENO churchyard creepy question

Hello
I will be out westward in February most likely... I will be in California but also want to check out the Salt Flats of Utah on my way back to Illinois. I was thinking of driving from Reno to Salt Lake City. It looks like a scary baren drive... is it?

My other main question is - in 1985 two men shot themselves in the face in a Reno churchyard (or in Sparks?) I was wondering if any of you locals knew more about this or what church it was, and if the merry go round is still there. I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask. They made this movie about it:

Thanks for reading.

by DSwede

The drive from Reno to Salt Lake City will take you some time. It is not a scary baren drive, but it is remote. You will pass through a few towns along the way, like Winnemuka, Elko, Wells and Wendover near the UT boarder.

But there will not be much in between these places. In my opinion, it is beautiful but lonely country. The landscape in that part of Nevada is arid and dry, but does have some large mountains.

I grew up in Lake Tahoe & remember the media coverage of the Judas Priest lawsuit. They did their best to cover the true identity of the church and (if I remember correctly) changed the playground so that the cult popularity would not disturb the place too much. All I can tell you is that it was a Lutheran church.

by nchicago

Interesting.... thanks for your response.

The strange thing is, the death/suicide attempt happened in 1986 or so, and the trial was in 1991 or 1992 (when the movie about it was made) and they have footage of the guy that survived sitting on the same merry go round (5 years after the fact). I would hope by NOW it would have been changed, though part of me hopes it hasn't because for some reason I'd like to see it.

I looked on google, I have a guess as to which one it was. I don't know if I will actually make it up there, I should probably just go to Las Vegas and southern Utah instead, but I am tempted. Nevada seems so creepy and empty with all its blank and military spots on the map.

by nchicago

Oh, actually I guess the survivor of the suicide attempt died 3 years later, so the footage wasn't from 5 yrs later. I also heard the church was in Sparks, not actually Reno.

by DSwede

Yes, the trial was about 5 years after the incident. The church was in Sparks on the north side.

There are some large empty spaces in NV, but most of them are in the south. The north of the state is mostly just open range. The mountains run north-south, so if you drive across the state east-west, you will go up and over countless mountains. The colors are gorgeous.

If now or later, I recommend sometime you drive across the state from Lake Tahoe to Denver via US-50 (and intercepting I-70). Peaceful and beautiful drive, but yes, can be lonely. Bring some company to share the drive with.

by Camping_Girl

I find the landscape of Northern Nevada incredibly beautiful. It is not heavily populated and I think that is part of the area's charm.

by nchicago

Once again I'll answer my own question:

Community First Church of God
198 Richards Way
Sparks, NV

Travel Tips for Reno

Go to the public parks! There...

by wfox

Go to the public parks! There is a great park just off the strip where a river runs through. In the afternoons it was great to sit by the river, under the shade, and relax. One may not think of Reno as a place to relax, but there are some beautiful places to just be.

special events, there are...

by larry1944

special events, there are events for all seasons,,,,, you want it you can have it
let me nkow what you are looking for and we will try to help night life,,,the times are great here in Reno ane the future is looking great if you are in the gaming industry rember we started gaming and the worlds largest slot manufacture is here you video snd game people
should take a look......weather is greate nice people and i can be anywhere i want in towne in 15 min....

please ask ??????? we will do our best to provide you with the info you need,,,, with pics if you want

thanks I will try to do my best for all of you but please give me time,,,, gental reminders are ok

Just Like In Bambi

by mcpangie

People who live where there are brush and good hiding places near Reno have quail visit their yards. They are so cute running away scared all the time of the slightest noise, normally in a straight line just like in Bambi.

Come Visit In the Spring

by mcpangie

One of the benefits of coming to visit Reno in early to mid-April is that you'll get to see spring, but... If you are into skiing up at Tahoe, you'll get to do that still. At least this year. Skiing should be going for another month or more.

Stand on two state lines at once.

by TheTravelSlut

The Cal Nevada Casino at North Lake Tahoe features the state line separating California and Nevada running through the parking lot, the lobby area, and the pool.

The casino of course is only on the Nevada side and there is no agricultural inspection station for 20 miles.

Comments