1 Main St, Franconia, New Hampshire, 03580, United States

More about Gale River Motel and Cottages

Motel with a Difference

by TripAdvisor Member Fuzzie

My wife and I returned to the UK this morning from a trip to New England where we stayed in Boston, Cape Cod and Franconia. The outstanding highlight of the trip was our stay at the Gale River Motel. Yes, Franconia and Crawford Notch National Parks were on our doorstep and stupendous as was the breathtaking Fall colour but it was also the hospitality, consideration, humour and high level of friendly, personal service by Kevin, the host at Gale River, that made this part of our holiday so special.

We found it from across this side of the Atlantic via the Lonely Planet Guide of New England and left promising ourselves that this was one motel to which we will definitely return!

Great Accommodations

by TripAdvisor Member greenland

I couldn't have appreciated more my accommodations in Franconia during my week extravaganza of hiking in the New Hampshire White Mountains. The owner anticipated everything a guest might need and provided it before I could asked for it. I especially appreciated being dropped of at my group's hiking location by the owner himself. The rooms provided on both nights were immaculately clean. I loved the spectacular view of the mountains too. Everything I needed!

The area is lovely

by TripAdvisor Member cmalloy

This motel is clean and well-maintained. The proprietors greet you with fresh-baked cookies and stock the small room frig. with sodas.

The Gale River is across the street from the motel, and the river is lovely. Your view will be of a few well-maintained small homes, a field, and the interstate (difficult to see because of foliage), which is about three-hundred yards from you.

Beds were exceptionally comfortable! Carpets and tile seemed to be fairly new. The small town of Littleton, no pun intended, is eight miles away and provides very good meals. There are also a couple of places to eat about two miles away. The Farm House restaurant was good. Up the road a short distance, was a place called Polly's Pancake House (I'm not sure of the name). People seemed to love this restaurant, but we didn't think that the wait was worth it. How good can a pancake be?

good value

by TripAdvisor Member bizbal

owner is very helpful and nice guy. he showed us where to hike locally and reccommended good restaurants. he has a good attention to detai. our room was a little old fashioned and needs an update, but that okay. view is great.

Loved the Gale River Motel in Franconia

by TripAdvisor Member blueaerodynamique

We stayed at Gale River Motel for 5 nights in mid May this year. Having seen excellent reviews on tripadvisor we booked the Executive room and we were not disappointed. Being so early in the season everywhere was quiet but that suited us.
The owner is a very friendly and extremely helpful guy. He even lent me his tripod for my visit to the flume as mine was broken and tumble dried my coat when I returned soaking wet! I suspect there wouldn't be any request that would be too much trouble.
I can wholeheartedly recommend this motel. It isn't large and the views of Cannon Mountain and Lafeyette are superb, no two days seem to be the same! The motel is close to the 93 for convenience but not so close that it is a problem.

Great Hospitality, Priced Right

by TripAdvisor Member Family-of-Four-TX

Date: June 22-24, 2007
Reviewer: Family of Four
This was our second visit to Gale River Motel -- and just as terrific as our first.
The motel is ridiculously fairly priced for New Hampshire in the summer. The rooms are beyond immaculate. And the host is GREAT! Friendly, knowledgeable, incredibly helpful. Always a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies. Always on the look-out for ways to make your stay better.
This time, we were in the White Mountains to celebrate a "landmark birthday" by proving the adults could still climb Mt. Moosilauke (yes, the Dartmouth Mountain).
One of our kids had forgotten to pack a jacket. The host volunteered his. Problem solved.
And when we got back? A family-friendly gift ready for exhausted, thirsty climbers: sparkling apple cider. What a totally unexpected kindness!
Other places are ritzier (and cost a lot more). This one is perfect for us. We'll be back again and again.

Would highly recommended this motel

by TripAdvisor Member maranat

I would definitely recommend this as a base for touring the area. The price is great; the rooms clean and well-kept; the owner very friendly and the location within close drives to hiking, good restaurants and sight-seeing. We went there for a 20th anny celebration (without our kids) and I was worried that it would be filled with kids, but it was a nice mix of families and couples, and we felt very comfortable. The area is gorgeous and there's lots of wonderful hiking and exploring to do.

The reviews are right on

by TripAdvisor Member ymesps

All the reviews about the Gale River Motel are right on. My family of four just got back from a week's vacation in New Hampshire and we still talk about how impressed we were with the Gale River Motel.

My husband was originally skeptical at booking a room at a motel. But it didn't take long for us to realize what a great value the place is. We paid less than a $100 and got a very clean room, comfortable beds, friendly advice about restaurants and activities, a great hot tub, swings for the kids, nice open spaces, homemade cookies at check in and muffins and coffee for breakfast. Sodas were only 50 cents. We felt that we were getting a value, which made our stay very pleasant.

It isn't the Ritz and isn't trying to be. It's just a good, solid motel. If I were in the area again, I'd stay here in a second. I also liked Franconia better than Lincoln, where I had originally planned to stay. We didn't see much of Lincoln other than the Whale's Tale Water Park and Clark Trading Post, but what we did see, looked very touristy.

Totally relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member Pedro_snr

In the middle of a 17 day tour of New England my wife and I were looking for somewhere to slow the pace for a few days and took the advice of other reviewers by booking at Gale River Motel.

We were delighted with what we found. Kevin could not have been more welcoming, the room was all we could have expected and the view from the two adirondack chairs placed in front of each room was just stunning. We even had a full moon provided during all three nights of our stay (we had originally booked for only two).

While we were a bit disappointed that the outdoor pool was closed for the season, Kevin cheerfully fired up the indoor spa each evening when, as far as I could tell, we were the only guests using it. A much appreciated gesture.

We cannot speak too highly of Gale River and imagine that it must be perfect for families during the summer months as, there are spacious grounds and woods to explore as well as the pool, hot tub and play area.

Comments