Sunset Hill House

231 Sunset Hill Road, Sugar Hill, New Hampshire, 03585, United States

More about Sunset Hill House

Loved the Sunset Hill House

by TripAdvisor Member KaraMia

I stayed at the Sunset Hill House for 2 days and had a wonderful time. It has been 2 years since I stayed there. I felt I should submit my review because of the negative reviews I read.
I stayed at the Inn with my daughter, my best friend, and her daughter. We all stayed in the same room. It was huge! The innkeepers had a large cot in the room in case we needed it. The bed was so big and comfy -3 of us slept on it quite comfortably. The view from our room was breathtaking! The bathroom was large and very clean. The decor was beautiful in our room, and in the many rooms at the Inn. I'm from Florida, and loved seeing old style decor. Anyone can check into a hotel, but a B&B is a supposed to be a unique experience. The Sunset Hill House was all that and more for all of us. The girls enjoyed the pool which was clean and beautiful. I loved reading on the deck with the amazing view, listening to the birds, and enjoying perfect weather.
The meals were fantastic! We loved the breakfast, and the service was terrific. The dinners were my favorite time in the dining room. The dining room has a large picture window that overlooks the white mountains. I felt like I was sitting in a post card. The innkeepers were very kind, and didn't mind the girls staying up late in the game room playing cards and games. I loved the Inn and grounds so much that my best friend painted a picture of it for me, and I have that painting displayed in my home. I look forward to returning with my husband in the fall. I will continue to inform people to stay at the Sunset Hill House. Please don't allow the negative reviews to turn you away from this incredible Inn.
KC Cape Coral, FL

The Sunset Hill House is Absolutely Wonderful

We had an absolutely unforgettable stay at this inn.  Everything was superb.  The room we stayed in was fantastic (great amenities, very comfortable and quiet with fantastic views), the food was delectable (great breakfast and they serve delicious dinners several nights out of the week) and, most importantly, the customer service was out of this world (the attendants and inn keepers were simply wonderful to us).  We were knocked out by how great a time we had at the inn and in the surrounding area (even with the horrible weather we brought with us to Sugar Hill).  We have already told a lot of friends and family members about this inn and how great a spot it is.  We can't wait to get back.

A nice place to visit

Having stayed at another local inn a few times, we opted to try Sunset Hill House and were quite happy there. Lon could not have been more pleasant while taking our reservations and asked appropriate questions about our preferences, which were met quite nicely upon arrival -- and included a free room upgrade extended by a very nice woman at the front desk. The air-conditioned rooms, 201 and 203, provided a breath-taking view of the White Mountains and were clean, comfortable, nicely appointed and furnished very much to our liking. Later that night, after having had dinner at the home of a relative, another very nice woman at the front desk was courteous and helpful in providing ice and some crackers. A delicious full breakfast, included in the overnight rate, was served to us the next morning by a friendly and competent waitress. Sunset Hill House is a nice place to visit and revisit!

John

A relaxing place, despite rainy days.

My wife and I spend 3 relaxing days at the end of August at the Sunset Hill House. Although, according to the locals, these were the only rainy days for the whole summer (including one day of pouring rain from Katrina leftovers), staying at the Inn made it all pleasant. Right at the check in, Nancy gave us a very warm welcome, and upgraded our room, giving us 3 rooms to choose from. The room was immaculate, and had all the comfort and amenities. We lingered for over an hour over the tastefully prepared breakfast every morning, waiting for the clouds to disappear, so we could see the presidential mountain range from the large windows of the dining room. We actually got a 5 minutes glimpse of the mountains on the morning of our departure.
We will definitely return to the Sunset Hill House, this time in the spring, in the hope that we’ll get at least one sunny day, so we could at least take pictures.

For expensive, rude, unprofessional service, come here!

by TripAdvisor Member Scout2005

Our experience at Sunset Hill House occurred during the summer of July 2005 where my brother and sister-in-law held their wedding rehearsal dinner. This was likely the worst example of fine-dining service we've ever encountered, but even more disturbing is that the owner would not even acknowledge or apologize for such an awful experience, responding to our complaints that it is the "responsibility of the guest" to let the staff know they are unhappy. As a fine dining manager, myself, I always believed good service had more to do with anticipating your guests needs, e.g., for $100/plate, we expected staff to refill water without having to be asked ... three times. And though she claims her staff is unable to "read our minds," does it really take mind reading for the staff to know better than to backtalk to our guests?

Though we did receive a refund for our mussels appetizer (of which the quality was so poor, we could not open most of them), we also requested a refund of our gratuity and a written apology for the treatment of our guests. Since little progress has been made in regards to our last two requests, we have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

If you're still interested to see what you'd be getting, please read on ...

For $100/plate plus gratuity (which unfortunately had to be prepaid) at a "fine-dining" establishment, you can expect: (1) No table wine service, all our wine had to be poured ourselves. Plus, we got charged for bottles of wine that the servers opened (despite asking that no more be opened); (2) Back talk from the servers when mothers inquired about the childrens' menus (though contracted and paid for beforehand at $50/plate, the staff knew nothing about them); (3) A mussels appetizer in which most of them could not be opened ... and this took 30 minutes to serve after seating; (4) Lobster served without cracking utensils or towelettes (despite requesting them); (5) No table water service, each glass had to be requested; (6) Overall timing that was so poor, our guests starting asking for to-go bags for the dessert because it was getting so late ... which this establishment could not provide; (7) Coffee service that came well after dessert and only upon request (though this was also included in the pre-paid, per person charge).

I would have rated this experience as "Okay, but some problems," but the way they've handled our complaints just made the overall experience terrible.

All that is good is the view.

Highly overrated. Save your money and drive up to the inn and look at the view without wasting your hard earned cash. The food was terrible, the attitude of the staff was even worse. The inn needs tender loving care to bring it back to the grand inn it used to be while maintaining its character. We attended a wedding there. The pepperoni and cheese calzones had no pepperoni and cheese in them. The stuffed mushrooms were bland. The prices for the drinks were outrageous. Everyone was charged a different amount for their drinks everytime they walked up to get one. Some people were charged up to $10.00 for a drink in a small glass filled with mostly ice. The rooms were horrible. There is no cable at the inn. The decorating is old and shabby and needs replacing. There are terrific motels and inns in the area that will be a far better deal with pleasant people to greet you. It is a beautiful area. It is sad if people stay here and become negative to the area by booking their accommodations at this inn. You can enjoy old time charm by choosing another place to stay.

Criminal treatment

An absolute abomination of a hotel and hoteliers. The Hendersons are rude, arrogant, nosy, degrading, and lack taste and class in every regard. We were underserved, overcharged, deprived of rightful services, verbally abused, threatened with legal action, and ignored repeatedly. The food was poor, service worse, and facilities second class. People with families - or alone - are far better off spending their time and money at a motel on Route 3 nearby.

"Don't Go There"

This was quite possibly one of the worst experiences we have had with a hotel/inn.

Our room, upon entering, was a big disappointment. The bed sloped downhill and was hard as a rock.

Walls were paper thin. Could hear everything. Room door didn't even lock. Couldn't even put key into lock. Door was unlocked and partly open when we arrived.

Worst part......dead bugs, everywhere. Including on and in bed. We checked out. Couldn't bring ourselves to stay. When we complained to front desk, they said that owners would contact us right away--they were apparently away. They never did. We contacted them and they made absolutely no effort to make ammends. They were disingenuous and accused us of trying to get something for nothing. The entire staff, including the owners, seemed very unfriendly and unwilling to rectify situation.

Would not stay there again, would not recommend to anyone. Owners and staff need a makeover.

Michelle/NH

The Sun has set for Sunset House

by TripAdvisor Member jaypbee

Someone wrote "Go there, look at the view and stay elsewhere." They are so right. We longed to stay there after seeing the place several years ago. The charm is on the outside. Inside are mediocre rooms with mediocre views and barely comfortable beds.

The food is less than mediocre. Our dishes tasted like they were prepared the day before and heated in a microwave. The chef's "signature" dish-Bombay Duck-was 90% inedible. Dry, burned meat and sickly sweet rice combined to create a plate not fit to serve ti anyone.

I asked the waitress if the apple tart was freshly made. "No," she replied, "it is not. It was made yesterday and is reheated in the microwave." Thank goodness for her honesty.

Our expectations were so high and our disappointment was keen. Anyone with half a palate for food will find the "cuisine" a joke, if the meals we were served are representative of the kitchen.

Great Place

The owners of this Inn treat their guests as if they were loved family members. Every person on staff, from the owners to the room service folks, bend over backwards to make sure that one is thrilled to be there.

The rooms are quaint and lovely, with excellent views of the White Mountains, and/or the Green Mountains of Vermont. The Inn has a gourmet retaurant in which not only is the food exquisite, but the service is truly impeccable-- a true dining experience. In addition, the rooms include a complete and wonderful breakfast at no addtional charge.

We went in July 2005, and returned in September of 2005 for another delightdul stay

Alongside the brookAlongside the brook

Crawling out of the wolf's den!Crawling out of the wolf's den!

Avalanche FallsAvalanche Falls

Looks like I found something!Looks like I found something!

Comments