The Wentworth

1 Carter Notch Road, Route 16-A, PO Box M, Jackson, New Hampshire, 03846, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about The Wentworth

Underwhelmed and Overcharged

We stayed at the main inn at the Wentworth for 2 evenings during foliage season for my dad's 60th birthday. The furnishings of our room ("Superior" range) were about on a par with a Motel 8. The room was completely unlit in spots, quite dirty in the bathroom with several damaged fittings, and had budget-quality matresses, linens and towels. Not what I have come to expect for a $200+ room.

The first morning I had a golf tee time at 7:45 and went to the lobby around 7 to find directions to my parent's condo unit. Unfortunately there was a sign up saying that the desk would not be staffed until 7:30. The cook was wandering around but didn't know where any of the units were. Early risers can expect to wait until 7:30 for the dining room opening and/or human contact with the staff.

The inefficiency of the restaurant surpassed all problems in the room, however. We had been seated for over 90 minutes with only the appetizer course delivered. The entire meal took around 4 hours for 6 people/3 courses. At one point I looked around the dining room, there were 9 tables full and not a single one had any food to eat. Unfortunately there is no maitre'd employed in the restaurant, just a hostess, and our waitress had to pull double-duty for patrons in the adjouning lounge rooms. I asked the hostess what the reason for the slow service was, and was told that the kitchen was very backed up (3 cooks total) due to the unusual number of guests. I am not sure what qualifies for an unusually high number of guests for a White Mts resort during foliage season, but evidently we were there. 3 cooks seems a little insufficient for a dinner-inclusive resort at the peak time of year.

On the plus side, the adjoining golf course was very picturesque, and a lot of fun to play (despite some drainage problems.)

The common rooms of the inn are nice enough, but somebody is making a killing with the amount of money they charge compared to the services rendered. There was no sign of management during the 2 days we were there and it showed. The place may have shown once but you can get better treatment at a B&B, or probably even at a TraveLodge.

Would think twice on a function here

First, the good points of The Wentworth. The Deluxe rooms and common areas are beautiful. Also, the chef and dining room manager are outstanding. The bad points are that the owners treatment of me was unacceptable! I had a 70-person weekend function being planned when the sales coordinator resigned out of the blue. The owners did not bother to get my info from the outgoing employee, despite my concerns and requests ahead of time. When top management took over the planning, they knew nothing of my past conversations and we had to start from scratch. They had no interest in me as a person, and were very cold and unfriendly. As the date approached, they called me and demanded I change my meal, and only agreed to my original plans after I threatened to cancel. The owner used profanity on one phone conversation, even though I had been very professional. (He later apologized.) The end result worked out, but after all the problems we had and money we spent, we did not get so much as one free night's stay, or a free dinner! Plus, our bathroom supplies were not even replenished during the stay. Can you say cheap!

The Wentworth is first class

The "Seasoned High-End Travelers Shocked by Wentworth"
must be the owner of the Bluenosed Inn trying to promote their own hotel by badmouthing the Wentworth

We had holiday dinner that was affordable and top notch. The Inn, its decor, the dining room help was first class. The waiters were wonderful, the food beautifully presented and delicious. The Inn was beautifully decorated. The help was courteous and helpful. On our next trip to the North Conway area, we intend to stay there.

I'm going to look at some other first class inns in New England to see if the "Seasoned High-End Travelers Shocked by Wentworth" promoted thier Inn at someone elses expense.

If you could only stay in one place in New England, this is it!

by TripAdvisor Member trip advisor member 2005

We toured around the whole of New England for 12 days at the end of October, staying in wonderful bed and breakfast inns, and I would recommend the Wentworth as the best! Not just because of the superb bedroom and bathroom, the wonderful food and the excellent service, but also because of the location, near to waterfall and river, in a most attractive and interesting village including some shops, galleries and restaurants, and a few minutes away from the outlet shopping in North Conway and the forest drives.

If you stay in one of the newly refurbished Arden rooms you will be delighted!

I am running out of superlatives, so will describe our experience in more detail.

The Wentworth's website is good, particularly as they have photos of each room and what's more an actual floor plan showing the layout of each room to help you choose. I telephoned to find out which room would be good for a quiet location, which I always prefer, and the receptionist could not have been more helpful, even consulting the housekeeper to make sure she gave me the correct advice.

On arrival we found the Inn was even more attractive than their outside photos could indicate. Unfortunately we were not able to sit out on the verandas with a coffee or a drink as it was raining when we stayed, but I would have loved to have done so. The rain did not matter though, as you can use covered walkways between the main hotel and the Arden building.

Our bedroom was quite superb, exactly as shown in the photo, and every luxury included. I particularly enjoyed the sound from the hifi or the TV being piped to the bathroom. And what a bathroom! Again every last detail thought of, right down to the candles and matches placed by the jacuzzi bath. The walk in shower was huge and the power shower worked perfectly.

The breakfasts in the attractive restaurant were very good indeed, with a wide range of foods available on a buffet basis including a huge bowl of freshly chopped fruit, together with a menu of delightful cooked dishes which we also chose from. The cooked dishes were beautifully presented and cooked, and arrived promptly. Service from the young staff was informal and excellent. We ate Dinner in the restaurant on one occasion and found this also to be of a very high standard, with an excellent varied menu, again the dishes arrived beautifully presented and cooked, and the service was very friendly. Adjusting the time of our dinner to accommodate pre-dinner drinks was no problem to the restaurant manager, and by the way we enjoyed the pianist playing popular numbers at the baby grand in the bar - though the piano could do with a little tuning!

We loved New England and especially the Wentworth, and I can't wait to go back! We are experienced bed and breakfasters, and we could not fault the Wentworth! Once again, I would emphasise, choose an Arden room and you will be absolutely delighted.

Never again

The online photos are NOT the real deal! We booked a Amster Suite for $380 and expected a beautiful room and got completely surprised by its appearance. Our kids were even shocked. They said, this is not the same room we saw online.

It was aweful. We attempted to look at other rooms but none passed even after lowering our standards. And after over an hour of searching the hotel we decided to leave. And the Wentworth charged us for the room to boot! Wow, what customer service!

Great Weekend!

My husband and I stayed at The Wentworth for our anniversary this past weekend. We purchased the Spring Weekend Special. It was terrific! We stayed in one of the Arden Suites. The room itself was impeccable. Very clean with beautiful furnishings. The bathroom was one of the nicest ones we've ever seen.

The dining room at the Inn was a real treat. During the day it has a comfortable laid-back type of atmosphere. At night it transforms into an elegant room just because of they way it is lit.

The staff is very professional - the Inn is obviously run well with high standards.

All in all we had a great experience. Very well worth the price and would gladly go back.

Great weekend getaway!

by TripAdvisor Member bythesea71

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Wentworth for 3 nights. We stayed in #407 in the Arden bldg which has a fireplace and a jacuzzi. We did purchase the meal plan which included a 5-course dinner nightly and a full breakfast each morning.

The hotel is lovely. It is a historic building which shows more on the exterior than on the interiors. However, it is still very well-maintained. Inside of the Arden building, you wouldn't know that it is a historic building at all. It has been redone and has beautiful hardwood floors, oriental rugs, and beautiful woodworking. The room and bathroom had modern amenities (DVD player, stereo, speakers throughout) and were very clean. My only complaint was that the sound traveled pretty well from room to room. I am not a light sleeper so it wasn't an issue for me. You could hear footsteps (due to the hardwood floors), televisions, and radios.

The food was wonderful and very ABUNDANT. When they say 5-course, they mean it. It is an appetizer, soup, salad, main course, and dessert. They also bring warm rolls (loved the dill). For appetizers, I enjoyed the shrimp martini and the crab & cod cake. For salad, the spinach salad was delicious and I also enjoyed the caesar. The soups were delicious. They served a tomato fennel that was delicious with a bit of a kick. For main courses, the beef tenderloin was DELICIOUS. I also enjoyed two pasta dishes. For dessert, the chocolate fondant cake was made to order and very good (like a molten chocolate cake). My boyfriend really enjoyed the cheesecake.

The breakfasts were delicious. Each morning there is a buffet of continental breakfast (cereals, muffins, scones, juices, fruit) and then you order a main entree (pancakes, eggs, omelette du jour). My favorite was the omelette du jour. They contained onions each day. I happen to like onions but for those who are on the fence or don't like them, you may want to request they go light on them or leave them out.

Honestly, I think I gained 10 lbs while we were there. Each day, we ate breakfast, tried to remain active during the day, skipped lunch, and then had supper.

The service from the front desk, wait staff, and housekeeping was all very professional and friendly. We would definitely like to return when there is snow so we can partake in more of the winter activities (and work off some of the food we ate). I think that the Wentworth is a great value. You get a beautiful room in a quaint, beautiful town and a lot of delicious food for your money.

Excellent choice (if you plan on eating there)

by TripAdvisor Member laZlite

We stayed here for 4 nights during our honeymoon. The highlight of the stay was the 5 course meals in the restaurant. Delicious. I reccomend the cranberry and pistachio sausage, spinach salad, and roast pork, and all of the desserts... we ate here 3 nights and tried about half of the menu... you can't really go wrong. Breakfast was also good.

Both meals were included in the total cost. If you don't oklan on eating here, I would say the rooms are a bit overpriced. If you do plan on eating here every evening (and I would reccomend it), it's a pretty good value.

We had one of the suites with the outdoor hot tub. Beautiful hardwood floor with oriental rugs... very clean, and the out door hot tub was a nice ending to a long day of hiking. We thought the room lacked a little charachter... especially after staying at the Captain Lord Mansion in Maine a week earlier.

The staff was nice, although it lacks the "personal touch" of a typical bed and breakfast. Very accomodating, though.

One last bit of advice... the majority of the white mountain attractions are in franconia notch (about 45 minutes away). It's a beautiful drive, but can get a bit long if you plan on driving there every day.

Nice rooms, would skip the dinner

by TripAdvisor Member noroundtables

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Wentworth for one night in room 409 (outdoor hot tub). The room was beautiful and very clean. The hot tub had a great location with curtained-off open windows on two sides, but was not very hot (lukewarm) and had very weak water jets. Was pretty much like sitting in a chlorinated bathtub. And as an FYI, they ask you not to use your hot tub after 11pm, something I think they should probably advertise, especially for the price of the hot tub rooms. Dinner was included in the price of the room, and while the food was good (not spectacular), the atmosphere was slightly pretentious in the dining room, not because of the staff (who were great) but because of the patrons. We felt like we couldn't talk above a whisper. Breakfast (also included) was good. The best thing about the our stay was the king-sized bed, which might have been the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. Good for a romantic getaway, but I wish I'd chosen a room with a jaccuzi tub instead.

Beautiful Inn, Delicious Cuisine

My husband and I stayed at the inn for 3 nights and had a lovely time. The staff was very professional and friendly. We got lost on our way there and missed dinner the first night but when we checked in to our room they had a plate of cheese and fruit waiting for us which was very thoughtful. Our room was beautiful (Rm 412 in the Arden Building) and was well maintained throughout our stay. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was very clean and had a really big jacuzzi tub (I'm not a big fan of taking baths in hotels but this was so beautiful that I couldn't resist!). Other highlights of the room included a gas fireplace, top of the line toiletries, music speakers in the bathroom and a variety of bath salts to be used in the over-sized jacuzzi.

Breakfast and dinner were absolutely delicious! Our package included a full breakfast and a five course dinner which was almost too much food. I highly recommend the spinach and ricotta tortello which was out of this world! The service was also great. All of the staff was friendly and professional.

Although they don't have a spa on the premises, the concierge recommended that we go to The Inn at Thorn Hill for massages. It was just two minutes up the road and definitely worth every penny!

Overall I would absolutely recommend staying at The Wentworth. We had a wonderful experience there and hope to return.

Comments