3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

oh noez!!oh noez!!

Keene in January 2005Keene in January 2005

Downtown KeeneDowntown Keene

Travel Tips for Keene

Not exactlty the tourist...

by ranting

Not exactlty the tourist capital of the country, ya know. The only reason I was in Keene was because the guy I was dating wanted to go home for Christmas - so I tagged along to see New England, you know - a covered bridge or two. Ok - so the trees, nice. Fresh air, good. The people though - quite rude and unattracive actually. read on - it gets better. One week in which I would find out the guy I was dating was a complete stranger, snow is only pretty for about 20 mintues, meeting new people is not a favored pastime among the locals - nor is courtesy. And the image of my date cheating on me - on the living room carpet no less, with the girl who is just 'his best friend' is burned into my retnas. I neeed never go back to New Hampshire - I've seen it all.

Actually, they have a house in Spofford.

by jacquelinepaton

Scott's family also has a house in Spofford, NH, which is only a five minute drive to Keene, NH and about a ten minute drive to Brattleboro, VT. We love to come up here for relaxing weekends -- just to get away from everything that is so fast in Connecticut. Scott likes to hike and the house is right at the bottom of Mt. Monadnock, so it's a perfect location. There are plenty of places to do outdoorsy things, as well as plenty of little towns to shop in. Keene is an up-and-coming town -- they just built a Target and Home Depot and a million other big stores. Scott dreams of living here but I don't know... it's a little to middle-of-nowhere for me. I love to go there on vacation though.

What I did in Keene

by wah_keen

"Day One"

Today I landed in Boston around 9:30. Sarah and Chris got lost but eventually found me and we headed out to Keene. It took a couple hours but everything is so beautiful I didn't really mind. Things out here are old and look historical. I wish there was more like this back home.

I hadn't slept in over 24 hours so Sarah let me take a nap but woke me up around 4 to go swimming. We ended up out at the Ashelout River. There was a path down the side of a hill and at the bottom was the river. There were tons of huge pointy rocks but the water was refreshing. Shannon, Chris and Tommy all jumped into the rapids from this tall rock. Sarah, Megan and I were concerned about drowning or bleeding to death so we hung back at the less rapidy part. Sarah wanted to get her hair wet but then she got swept into the rapids. It was really scary but funny at the same time cause it happened so fast. We decided that was enough adventure so we went to a nearby lake. The lake felt great.

We went back to Sarah's and Chris made beer chicken (where you shove a beer can up the chicken's butt and it makes it juicy and delicious). I had my first Twisted Tea. It's ice tea with alcohol in it... I don't think we have it at home but I hope so. Sarah's friend Cat came over and we were all drinking and having fun on the porch. We went over to the fraternity next door for a bit and played Beruit. It's like beer pong. Sarah and I played against Tommy and Chris - - - we lost but it was fun anyway.

"Day Two"

Today was pretty relaxed. Chris took me to do errands while Sarah was at the chiropractor. We sat around and talked, stuff like that. Sarah, Chris and I watched Four Rooms - funny movie.

Sarah, Chris and I went out to get a drink at this bar (I forgot the name). I had a Rocket Pop here, it was quite tastey. Then we went to Twenty-One Bar & Grill and had another drink. I had a Greatful Dead which was good but really strong.

We went back home and Chris made hamburgers. Then we watched Legally Blonde. We went over to the frat for a few minutes but we were really tired so we ended back at home to have a few drinks and watch Narnia. We only watched a bit though. Then they all went to bed and I was still on west coast time so I watched a couple movies and researched ghosts of New Hampshire. Fun times.

"Day Three"

Today Sarah, Chris and I went to the quaries. There was a short hike to the water but I got eaten alive by mosquitos. It started thundering when we got there. There were enourmous tadpoles in the water. One of them pooped while we were looking at it. Chris jumped off the giant cliff. I chose not to. Sarah and I did swim across the pond though and it was very scary. I'm not a big fan of water where I have no idea what is at the bottom. Scary monsters could live there.

We went back to the house and Sarah did homework for a bit. There was really intense thunder and lightning storms. We sat on the porch and watched them. The lightning was the vainy kind, well some was sheet like at home but it was very cool looking.

Shannon's class got canceled so she and Megan went to get a beer with us at the pool hall. That was fun times. I had a cap cod (vodka and cranberry). Came back to the house and ate another beer chicken. We left the chicken carcus on the table in a very artistic style. It was beautiful.

Shannon, Sarah, Chris and I went to Margaritas for drinks. I had 2 rosaritas (creamy berry margaritas) and a regular strawberry one. We also split a fried ice cream and a mud pie. They were delish. I bought a couple songs on the virtual jukebox thing... Dance Dance for me and Sarah had been singing Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks all day so I surprised her with that song. We sang very loudly and embarrased Chris and Shannon a bit. Sarah found an umbrella under the table. Our waitress was such a cool girl - very personable and funny. She accidently opened it and then couldn't get it to shut. We had lots of fun there.

Came back to the house and had a couple drinks with Cat and her friend Andrew. We were pretty giggly. Shannon stayed on the couch bed with me. We were sitting there watching Waiting when the couch started to eat us - literally. If we leaned one way it would fold up from the bottom and if we leaned the other way the couch would lift. So lesson learned don't sit on the bar at the top of the couch. The end.

Comments