76 Lake Street, Lake Winnipesaukee, Laconia, New Hampshire, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about The Margate Resort

Margate is a great place to sit back and relax

by TripAdvisor Member Sinsara

Wow, did the people with the reviews below stay at the same place our group did. It doesn't seem possible since our group had a fantastic time!

Our tour company stayed at the Margate resort this past October on our motor coach tour of Maine and New Hampshire. We found the view of the lake truly breathtaking, the rooms were clean and comfortable and more importantly the staff attended to our every need with great service. Plus the food in the restaurant was excellent.

Also it may be also interesting to know that the night we stayed at the Margate there was a wedding reception. You wouldn't have even known that both groups were on property.

Our group looks forward to returning to the Margate on our next tour through the area.

Mike Heim
Travel Networking Partners

Beautiful place to get married...

by TripAdvisor Member lauryn2516

My husband and I have grown up in the Lakes Region, and we both agreed it would be perfect to get married on Lake Winnepesaukee. We chose the Margate Resort, and it was a wonderful choice. At no time did we feel were not being supported or helped with all of the details and planning. It was a beautiful day in June, and everything went smoothly with the set-up and flow of events. We had our ceremony on the lake, followed by a reception in the Mariah Room. We received so many complements on our choice of location, from the spot on the lake we chose, the places we took our photos, and the view of the lake from the Mariah Room. We especially enjoyed going out later in the evening to take photos on the beach during the sunset. We have so many wonderful memories and photos to look back on of our wedding at the Margate. We are so thankful to all of the staff at the Margate; we couldn't have asked for anything more!

we enjoyed our stay at the Margate....

by TripAdvisor Member mr_eastwood7

My wife, 7-year old daughter and I stayed at the Margate for a weekend in June 2005. It was a last minute getaway. I knew what the price was, but I also knew what I was paying for. We got a standard room with king bed directly facing the lake. It was a decent view. The direct access to the beach was nice. And the view of Paugus Bay from the beach was gorgeous. Paying more for a lakeside room, as opposed to the motel building on the land side of the street, meant not having a long walk and crossing a main street to access the beach. SO I paid fo rthe convenience of being 1 minute to and from my room. Also had the convenience of the underground passageway from my lakeside building to the main office building, where the restaurant and pool are located. Had lunch at the gazebo beach bar one day. Thought the food was rather lousy, but the setting of the gazebo bar on the water was very nice. Would have been great if we were WITH friends and WITHOUT kids, but maybe in a few years. I rented the jetski on the property. I think it was $80 an hour. Expensive, but convenient. I might have saved $10-20 renting elsewhere, but I wouldn't have had the convenience of walking 50 yards from my hotel's beach to the jetski docking area. We did not eat in the Margate's restaurant. We did take a dip in the indoor pool of the main building on evening, though. No issues with that. In summary, we were fine in paying $$ for the lakeview room with direct beach access and the scenic view of the lake from the beach. We already checked out one of the other bigger rooms in the lakeview west building, and we plan to book that room in a future visit.

Sale person, front desk, and staff from hell

by TripAdvisor Member IpswichMargaret

My son got married at the Margate. We have been going to the Margate for over 15 yrs. So my son thought were else to get married but where there are happy childhood memories. We reserved over 30 rooms. We got no special rate for all these rooms and we made the best of it. When we arrived the rooms weren't ready when they said they would be. We were late for our schedule events and they could of cared less. The front desk was rude and the bride and groom were promised they were getting the honeymoon suite. However they were bumped because a more important person was coming unexpectedly. The sales person was just as rude. She was as nice as pie selling this wedding but in the end she went back on everything she promised. She was surpose to meet with us at a certain time on the day we arrived and never showed up. She came hours late and was to busy trying to sell another wedding. She told us if we didn't like it we should take our wedding somewhere else. The staff was just as rude. In the end the happiest place on the lake became the not so happy. We made the best of it. Why do people have to be so rude?

Better for families

by TripAdvisor Member Leaudemiel

The Margate is a large complex of almost-mini-motels. All rooms had two beds. It was on the lake and had an outdoor bar where we could watch the ball game. The food at the bar was not great (we had to return some undercooked chicken, and the chef gave us free desert which was nice) but adequate bar food. The hotel pool was very chloronated, which was probably for the best for the amount of kids swimming in it (very few with parents around. Yes, they were 10-15 years old, but that isn't exactly adult...). Wish someone told us when we booked the place that check in wasn't until 4. We showed up at 2 and were turned away.

will not go back again

by TripAdvisor Member LisaV60

My husband and I stayed at the Margate last year for a school reunion..we liked it then despite the rails on the windows. This year we are returning to the Laconia area and were GOING to stay there again, and had to change our plans due to mothers surgery planned during that time.I called back to cancel the reservation WELL within 24 hrs time. Apparently there is a $25 cancellation fee, no if ands or buts, even for a family medical need. I was never sent an e-mail confirming my reservation or my subsequent cancellation until I had raised some hell withJoie Lacourse the manager, who then sent me a standard e-mail thanking me for my reservation, and my deposit on my room (remember I have already cancelled)and at the bottom in fine print showing the cancellation policy. The place granted was probably some fine summer resort back in its heyday, but now has become an overrated, expensive, disorganized, money grubbing place that I DO NOT recommend.

MIsery at Margate

by TripAdvisor Member weefus

Arrived at 1am or so after 3 hours driving in a major snowstorm with temperatures in the teens. Finally got to an outdated room with NO HEAT. Not poor heat. NO HEAT. Management offered options to wait one and a half hours (=3am) for maintenance to replace the ENTIRE heater OR repack, reload and relocate to another room across the street. This in a major snowstorm. They considered these both to be viable options. I was offered no discount for toughing it out in a room with no heat. Staff did not express any concern or apology for our plight or even seem to recognize the inconvenience. Never say Never but i will Never go back.

Loved The Margate!

by TripAdvisor Member en_eemouse

The Margate is a lovely hotel on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire's Lakes Region. Our room was immaculate and comfortable; the entire facility is clean and welcoming.

The hotel personnel were friendly and helpful; we were treated like "old friends". A delightful, nutritious continental breakfast is provided for guests. One can dine in the dining room or venture to the dock for a lakeside breakfast.

Located a few miles from downtown Laconia, The Margate provides easy access to all lakeside activities. A gym room and swimming pool for the fitness-oriented are also provided.

Future trips to The Lakes Region will always include a stay at The Margate.

Beautiful Wedding Ceremony & Reception

by TripAdvisor Member merlinsartwokie

My husband and I recently had our wedding at the Margate. Everything was beautiful!! The food was delicious and beautifully presented by Curt's Caterers!! Peggy was wonderful about communicating details about the wedding and making sure nothing was forgotten. We were married in the field by the lake, and it was perfect weather (we were lucky) just at sunset.

However there were a few disappointments, when we made our decission and reserved everything for our wedding we were not informed that the same person that sold us on the place would NOT be handling our wedding. In the end everything went smoothly and Peggy was great!! It just would have been nice to be informed about this before hand, surprises can be scary to a bride....

We would reccomend the Margate to couples looking for an affordable & beautiful lake side ceremony. The resort is older but it's classic and has all the ammenities of a (needs updating) resort.

Comments