Marriott Wentworth By The Sea

Poor Value

Costs More than similar hotels

See Nearby Hotels

Terrible Hotel!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 22, 2010

I am writing about the miserable experience we had yesterday at Wentworth by the Sea. This hotel has the potential to be a world class hotel but falls way short. All aspects of the hotel are mismanaged and The Wentworth is nothing more than a glrofies Holiday Inn with better views. When our busy schedules allow, we enjoy going to the hotel to use the spa, grab lunch or dinner at Latitudes, and use the hotel pool. My wife and I travel quite a bit and when able, we like to stay at our favorite hotel, The Ritz Carlton. When we are visting Portsmouth, we like to frequent The Wentworth. Yesterday was our anniversary, so I booked her a massage at the hotel spa and we headed off to first have lunch at Latitudes. From there we headed poolside as my wife went into the spa to check in for her massage. The following is a list of our complaints regarding our day at the hotel: Latitudes: - Although our waitress was extremely polite, professional, and attentive, we waited about 40 minutes for our appetizers. Especially with two hungry children in tow, this was totally unacceptable. When waiting this long for an order, clients get antsy, angry, and can even start to lose their appetites. - Our entrees took another 20 minutes or so to arrive. Considering the fact that my children and I had burgers and my wife, the king crab leg, again we found this unacceptable. By the time we received our entrees, we were no longer hungry. Poolside: - We then spent the next four hours or so at the hotel pool. Not even once did a waitress come by to see if we needed anything! How can that be? In the caliber of hotel The Wentworth claims to be, how can the pool staff totally ignore its clients? Is this a good way to maximize sales? How do you think it makes guests feel when they are totally ignored and disregarded? Spa: - My wife headed to the spa while we stayed poolside for her scheduled massage. She found herself waiting almost ten minutes just to check in! - When she entered the locker area, the room was filthy with used towels on the floor, the sink and floors all wet, and even discovered a used washcloth hanging in the shower. How disgusting! - Even though the sign clearly states that the use of cell phones is prohibited, while my wife got ready in the locker area, an employee came in chatting on her cell phone for a full ten minutes. How disrupting is this for a client trying to relax? Again, totally unacceptable! - Her massage was also under par. The girl that massaged her yesterday just lacked the expertise and touch that makes for a fine and relaxing massage. All in all, the spa experience yesterday was a total waste of money. - After her massage, my wife headed to the hot tub and the hot tub was not even hot! It was lukewarm. Again, how utterly disappointing! To have all of these incidents happen in a single day is inexcusable. For this caliber of a hotel, the guests should leave feeling good. We left the hotel yesterday totally disappointed with our collective experience. Clients pay good money to go to the hotel and enjoy the rooms, restaurants, spa, and pools and what a shame to have them leave feeling slighted and disgusted. Do yourself a big favor and stay at The Sheraton downtown Portsmouth.

Unique Quality: Location.

KittyLou's Profile Photo

Once Old, Now New

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 1, 2004

Located in New Hampshire's smallest town on a square mile island, this resort was probably named for Benning Wentworth, the first royal govenor of New Hampshire appointed by King George II. Once Wentworth by the Sea was a grand old lady. There is nothing now to give the feeling of the grand old age. It is a spanking new Marriott with Marriott like fixtures and service.

Nearby Marriott Wentworth By The Sea

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New Castle Travel Forum

Need advice about New Castle, New Hampshire? Visit the Travel Forum for New Castle and ask our Answer Gurus.

New Castle Travel Guide