1979 White Mountain Hwy, North Conway, New Hampshire, 03860, United States
Priceline.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Fox Ridge Resort

Enjoyable 2 night stay!

by TripAdvisor Member scotsbluebell

We have just returned from a 3 week trip touring parts of Canada and USA, and were pleased with all of our accommodation throughout. Fox Ridge Resort was a pleasure! We are a retired couple with 8 grandchildren, so it was so nice to see so many families with kids of various ages all enjoying themselves. We particularly liked the outdoor pool, as it gave us a bit of down-time on a hectic schedule, and it was a pleasure to have a cool dip in the lovely pool! The staff were extremely helpful in every way. We had breakfast one morning, which was very nice. The rooms were not the most sumptious we stayed in during our trip, but were cool and comfortable, and for the price we paid, were good value. We would definitely stay in this resort again if we ever return to these parts - we enjoyed it immensely!

Don't Make the Mistake Of Staying Here

by TripAdvisor Member HappyTraveler067

I have been a meeting planner for much of my 25-year career, and I've stayed in hundreds of hotels. I've had to stay in some "dives" of course, but never have I been in a hotel that was so bad that I turned around a checked out after being in the room for 5 minutes, which is what I did recently at the Fox Ridge Resort. Perhaps if I was on "company time" I would have endured it, but for a family vacation, Fox Ridge Resort was extremely disappointing:

- Filthy and smelly carpets
- No elevator. We had to lug all our luggage up a long flight of stairs. No bell service either.
- Ancient key lock doors - I did not feel safe at all.
- Rooms smelled so dirty and musty we thought we'd have to go out and buy some air freshener just to endure our stay.

Mind you, my familly is not so fussy - they haven't traveled as much as me. And even they were very unhappy. My husband put it perfectly: "This is a $50/night motel they are calling a resort and charging $185/night". The grounds when you drive up are beautiful, but the quality stops there. Don't waste your hard-earned money at this place. Go down the street to the North Conway Grand, behind the Settler's Green outlets. That's what we did, and got a very nice room at a "real" hotel for $20 less per night! This isn't a promo for the North Conway Grand: We were just so relieved to find a hotel that smelled clean and was a real, decent hotel after our awful experience at the Fox Ridge.

One point to keep in mind: Fox Ridge has a sister resort down the street called The Red Jacket. I think some of the reviews on Trip Advisor have gotten these two facilities confused. I did not go inside the Red Jacket, but it looked okay from the outside, and I can only imagine the confusion between the two facilities is why Fox Ridge got any decent reviews at all here on Trip Advisor.

Fun finish to summer

by TripAdvisor Member Halfvoice

The family took yet another trip to North Conway in August of 2007 and as usual, had a satisfying experience. My parents, sister, two friends and I stayed for two nights at the Fox Ridge Resort. We have stayed at FR's sister hotel, Red Jacket, a couple times, and we've always had good experiences. Fox Ridge Resort is no exception.

We made our reservations online for a two-night stay in a family loft room. Lately I've heard horror stories from people who've had bad luck making travel arrangements online, but we went ahead and everything went smoothly thankfully. The day we went, we were hoping to check in early, but were told that the room was not cleaned yet, and we had to wait. There was ample parking at this establishment, so we just decided to park the car and walk the grounds a little bit.

The scenery was amazing. The hotel is set back in a more "foresty-type" area, and there are plenty of outdoor activities for younger children and even teenagers. In addition to the playground, there is also a rudimentary mini-golf course. It's definitely something fun to try.

Once we were able to check in, we went straight up to the room. From the looks of the hallways, I felt like we were staying in a log cabin. The walls and carpeting were different shades of brown, that did look somewhat dated, but the rooms were a completely different story. Since we stayed in a loft at the Red Jacket, we knew what to expect. We were not disappointed. The spacious room overlooked the scenic property. The walls and floors were totally clean, and the beds were well made up. There was plenty of bathroom space, and I really liked that they provided lots of clean towels.

My friend and I stayed in the loft and we enjoyed two nights of sound sleep. As I've mentioned in the past, there is not a whole lot of room to groove around in, but it is always very comfortable. The family chose not to eat in the hotel since our reservations were already a bit pricey. Fox Ridge was definitely a very nice hotel, though.

We would definitely stay there again, but I think we would look into a package deal next time, since our first visit there was somewhat expensive. Happy travels!

A well-regarded (by the industry) indy bookstore

by pchamlis about White Birch Books

Primarily in my life, I've been a healthcare professional. However, my post-retirement occupations have tended more towards the publishing industry. For approximately one year, I was marketing director for an up and coming independent publishing house, Behler Publications. Part of my job at that time included getting book signings for our authors. On more than one occasion, I did business with a place called White Birch Books in North Conway, NH. This is an independent bookseller with a huge and positive reputation. And even though I'd set up a signing or two, and had maintained wonderful rapport with White Birch's Marketing Director, I'd never actually BEEN to the store. I was finally able to change that on our recent visit to North Conway.

Nothing negative against Borders or Barnes and Nobles, but White Birch Books IS what is so very right about independent, non-chain booksellers. They offer all of the usual bestsellers, but are particularly adept at coming up with "finds".... stuff that you'll not find in national chains. The chains are pretty much supplied by their usual suppliers, and that really does shut out anything new or fresh. You'll find "new and fresh" at White Birch.

You'll also find an incredibly dedicated and committed staff. This is, again, not a knock against the nice folks who work at Borders or Barnes and Noble, but... it's just a different sort of goose who works at an indy bookstore. And since indy stores are not following a printed corporate plan and mantra, they're free to explore whatever paths interest them. THE place you especially want to check out at a place like White Birch is the "staff picks". You may find your new favorite book on that table.

Website and phone numbers are down below. And for direct email contact and information, send an email to info@whitebirchbooks.com Buy whatever sounds interesting, and especially whatever makes you say "gee, never heard of this author or book before, but it sounds great". And even more than buying, spend some time browsing this excellent shop and collection. True bookworms could never spend only 20 minutes in a bookstore. OK, in general.... prices at an indy may be a bit higher than a chain. Remember, chains buy in bulk, and that's part of the reason that they're running so many fine indies out of business. But, you may well find something that you'd never heard of or seen before - AND at a bargain price. White Birch is a perfect place to shop.

Gross is the word

by TripAdvisor Member NHfan94

My family and i totally regret going here. The rooms were poorly kept and the bathrooms were disgusting! Sour smelling shower cutains you name it. Extremely disapointed. I definately do not reccomend this hotel to anyone. Might I suggest the Green Granite Inn & Conference Center to stay at if you are lodging in North Conway.

Awesome Waterpark!!!!! Friendly service!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member rio1186

I booked with the Fox Ridge directly and spoke to Debbie for my reservation. She was extremely friendly and pleasant and hooked us up with an awesome waterpark package to the new Red Jacket Resort's "Kahuna Laguna". WOW!!! My wife and kids had a blast! We have stayed at the Fox Ridge in the past and WE find the hotel to be quaint, quiet, unassuming, and although it is not a new hotel, you can't beat the hospitality. Now, with access to the largest indoor waterpark north of Boston, it makes our mountain visits complete! We will definitely return to the Fox Ridge and the Kahuna Laguna!!!!!

Excellent Family Friendly Place

by TripAdvisor Member ShariC

We spent 3 fun nights at Fox Ridge. The place was great for a family vacation. Everything was clean and they were working hard each day to keep the grounds watered and spruced up (it has been such a dry spring in this area). My 2 year old son had his first experience with miniature golf at this resort and it was a great course for beginners. At anytime we could go see the nice reception staff and pick a golf ball out of their basket and head outside to play. The staff was really nice. Came outside when we were playing minigolf to take our picture when they saw us passing our camera back and forth. Their playground was cute too - if your kids like playgrounds, North Conway is the place - one day we hit 3 playgrounds - one at the hotel, one at the outlets, and one at McDonalds.

The rooms were a nice size and we had a small outdoor patio - not very private but a cozy place to sit when the little one was down for a nap. The furniture was in great condition and the beds were comfortable. Having a fridge in the room was very convenient. There was a VCR as well. My only suggestion to management would be to upgrade the bed rails. They didn't stay in the bed very well and our son rolled out of bed when the bed rail fell out one night. We were offered a crib at check in, so it is kind of our fault for not choosing that option. Still, he has stayed at 2 other hotels with bed rails and never fell out. They were older and not tight in the bed. That's the only thing we could fault Fox Ridge for though, it was really a great place to stay.

Oh, and we really did see 2 real foxes just down the road from Fox Ridge - they made their home in an abandoned mini golf course. Now we understand the name!

The reason we chose Fox Ridge was to partake in the Kahuna Laguna Waterpark at the sister resort (Red Jacket). This added $50 to the cost of our room one night, but it was really worth it. It was a quick drive down the road. The waterpark was state of the art and after our little one relaxed enough to try out the toddler area, there was no stopping him. My husband and I took turns on the 4 big slides - they were fast and furious. The wave pool was a fun place for all of us to play. There was an interactive area for more daring kids (had a big bucket that dumped out every few minutes) and it looked really fun. Swim diapers were complimentary (although we had prepared and brought our own). It was all extremely clean.

Because it was mid-week, there were only 4 other families at the waterpark and it was like we had the place to ourselves. The only disadvantage with so few people is the lifeguard staff only had a handful of people to stare at one time. They took their jobs very seriously, which they should, but it took us a little time to get used to having eyes on us all the time. There's lots of lifeguards.

Hint: There's a neat machine in the ladies restroom that you can put your swimsuit in and it will extract the water out of it. Great to not have to transport soaking suits back to the hotel room.

I would have liked to have had a hair dryer or even one of those automated hand dryer to stick my head under. The hotel room had a hairdryer, but one night we went straight to a restaurant upon leaving the waterpark.

The waterpark package starts at check in and ends at 10:30 the next morning. We weren't originally planning on going back the next morning, but we had so much fun, we donned our suits and played again for the short 1.5 hour morning window before the place shut down for maintenance (this happens daily at 10:30).

This will probably become an annual event for us - the Fox Ridge with the waterpark package. Oh yea, and the resort was convenient to Storyland which offers discounted admission in May. An excellent family friendly place to stay.

Will definetly return GREAT STAY

by TripAdvisor Member Vozzygirl

Very family friendly resort. We stayed in a family suite which was a well thought out room design. The kids stayed in the upstairs loft which had 2 double beds. My husband and I were downstairs which gave us plenty of quiet time, we even got to watch some of our TV while the kids enjoyed their seperate room and TV.

The room was clean and had a great view of the grounds and pool. Both pools were clean and the water temp was perfect.

We had the breakfast buffet one morning and really enjoyed it plenty of food and the dining room was not crowded.

The front desk staff were so friendly and accomodating. The location is central to alot of the North Conway attractions we enjoy, Cathedral Ledge, Diana Baths and Story Land.

We even saw a fox one morning from our window. This was a neat experience for the kids. Overall we will not hesitate to stay here. We enjoyed ourselves and will definetly return to the Foxridge again.

Nice Family Accomodations

by TripAdvisor Member Miamitraveler40

Stayed for 3 nights at the Fox Ridge in July 2008. This is a very nice family resort. It is set a ways back from the BUSY highway, unlike most of the hotels in the area, and up on a nice hill. Conveniently located next to the oulets, grocery store, etc. We had a loft room which was perfect for our 2 children. Nice view of the surrounding mountains. The interior was standard-do not expect 5 star, but very comfortable. The staff was good, and helpful with questions. The waterpark at the sister resort was so-so but a welcome diversion during a rainy afternoon. There is minature golf, which was a very nice touch, a nice swingset area, plenty of grassy grounds. This is a very family friendly hotel. Indoor and outdoor pools.

If you stay in the area, a must see is Lower Falls-great swimming hole/waterfalls; Zeb's-very fun general store/tourist trap; and I actually enjoyed Storyland even though I thought I was not going to like it-better for younger children.

Summary-perfect no frills accomodations for the active family.

30th Anniversary in North Conway

by pchamlis

"We love New England"

Bonnie and I (and often Sara, too) have traveled the world. As of next March, we will have touched seven continents. But honestly, if we have a favorite place or part of the world, I'd have to say that it's New England, in the American northeast. Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine just have a way and spirit that pleases us. So when it came time to choose a spot for a long weekend celebrating our 30th anniversary, we knew basically where it would be.

Specifically, we chose North Conway, NH. Located on the state's border with Maine, about midway between Massachusetts and Canada, the villages of Conway are a mecca for travelers, skiers and winter sport enthusiasts, foliage visitors (aka leaf peepers), naturalists, hikers and campers, artists, and basically anyone who truly loves the Yankee lifestyle. I did say "villages"... technically there are several that make up "Conway", with North Conway being the largest and best known. The others include Center Conway, East Conway, South Conway and Lower Conway.

If you're looking for a great place to spend a long weekend, to perhaps sample your first go-round with a bed and breakfast stay, you might want to try Conway.

Each season has its special glory... Winter brings endless snows and the magic of the season. And of course, there are the winter sports, hitting the slopes. We love skiing, I wish we were better at it.

Springtime erupts with the traditional rebirth, as this beautiful region awakens from the long cold downtime of winter.

Summertime is truly a gentle time of outdoor activities, water sports, outdoor activities and just the enjoyment of memorable days with loved ones.

But autumn is the artists' palette, the true glory of the region. For a few weeks during early October, varying by a few days throughout New England for the heaviest color intensities, the annual changing of the leafs never fails to amaze me. There is a huge industry built around simply heading to New England to see this annual color show. Fall foliage tours and tourists are everywhere. The local nickname for these tour groups are "the leaf peepers". And while sometimes we/I find myself snickering a little bit about these tour buses full of seniors being ferried from place to place, I have to give them credit. I can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else but New England in the fall. I guess life's experiences have told them where to spend their fall.

"Charming Country Life at an Inn"

As we usually do when staying in New England, Bonnie and I chose to do the bed and breakfast route. I made another incredibly good choice in Conway, the Darbyfield Inn. You can learn more about the Darbyfield with my hotel tip.

I will say to anyone heading to Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine - take some time to research the local inns, the local bed and breakfasts. Communicate with the innkeepers and staff, and when it just feels right, you've found your perfect stay.

If you stay at the Darbyfield, be sure to spend a little alone time out on the back lawn, in the charming pair of Adirondack chairs. (See my official 30th anniversary photo taken IN those chairs over on my "just relax with a glass of wine" things to do tip.

"Formerly Pigwacket.... really."

As everywhere in New England, there are pleasant towns and villages everywhere. They have slightly different feels in Maine (more nautical) and Vermont (more rural and country), but New Hampshire's villages and towns - especially the area around Conway - all have a single-minded Yankee spirit that is palpable.

As for the Conway area itself, it was (according to a pamphlet I read ) named for Henry Seymour Conway, ambitious son of a prominent English family, who was elected to the House of Commons at age twenty, and also fought at the Battle of Culloden in Scotland. He was made Secretary of State in 1765, and the town was named Conway that same year. Early settlers in the area had named the area Pequawket, known colloquially as Pigwacket, after the nearby mountain. Conway boasts many natural features such as Cathedral Ledge, Echo Lake State Park, and Mount Cranmore.

Although I do like the native names, I have to admit that Conway is more pleasing and appropriate than Pigwacket for this gentle place.

White Birch Books, North Conway, NHWhite Birch Books, North Conway, NH

View from 2nd floor.  Bonnie in grey down below.View from 2nd floor. Bonnie in grey down below.

Albany Bridge trusses.  Massive old timbers.Albany Bridge trusses. Massive old timbers.

cougar shaped shadow on mountainscougar shaped shadow on mountains

Comments