3 Gosling Road, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, 03801, United States

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• Musty, smoky, and BLOOD!

This is the first time I have ever reviewed a hotel but i had such an unbelievably horrible stay here that I feel compelled to warn others. I arrived with a group of six and we got four rooms. At first I thought my wife and I got off easy; one in our party had a room so smoky it reminded me of dive bars in days gone by. This is in a NON smoking room. It was then that we noticed that every room has an ashtray. The front desk says that they must do this legally? Soon another in our party emerges from her room as the carpet is sopping wet, smells and has the musty, skanky humidity of a high school locker room. Boy, did my wife and I get lucky we didn't get those. But wait; Is that BLOOD on our bathroom wall, and the vanity mirror and next to the bed, and by the door? What happened in here! The front desk came in, looked around, BACKED OUT, and said "pack up your stuff and quickly get out of here. I'm not touching anything". They put us in another room they weren't so understanding for the others in our group. I went back down to check our old room and the manager was in there and mumbles - pay attention " Oh the maintenance guy must have cut himself" and in the same breath " if he gets paint on stuff he should tell us" Wait! Did he cut himself - cause no one bleeds that much and forgets about it and I don't see that color paint anywhere in this building. Either way - what? Which is it? We went on with our evening in Portsmouth - a very nice town. I didn't sleep much thinking about how skeevy the rooms were. I should have asked for a refund, but we were in a hurry. I wouldn't TAKE green cash to stay here again. The hepatitis test isn't back yet.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Basic rudimentary Staying

The motel was newer and kept clean. I received a refrigerator and microwave that allowed me to have coffee and breakfast in the room, and even had lobster there one night. Location was convenient and right off a main highway that led into the downtown area, about 3 miles away.

Unique Quality: Nothing special, but a clean room and attentive service to keep up is good. Staff was friendly and talkative. Ads on the road are for Hampton Inn, but right there is also the Motel 6. Watch carefully for the entrance. A back entry to the property if off Durgin Lane. It takes you through to the back way and past Hampton Inn. That avoids a u-turnaround on Gosling Road that is a violation.

Directions: Take I-95 north and exit 4 to get onto Hwy 16 &4 west. Go to Gosling and turn right. Look fast, the motel is right at the intersection you just turned to; exit 1

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Motel 82

Accommodations in Portsmouth are expensive, and there don't seem to be any mid-range places to stay. It's either the Motel 6 at $82 per night, or a B&B or luxury hotel for $230 and up.

I chose the Motel 6 mainly because so many VTers at the Portsmouth meeting were staying there. I didn't have high expectations because Motel 6s in my part of the country have a bad reputation as cheap hangouts for junkies, but I was hoping that the local junkies couldn't afford the elevated room rate. :)

This property was surprisingly nice. There were no frills, of course -- no hair dryer or little shampoo bottles -- but everything was very clean and new.

The only things I didn't like about the place: 1) the location, several miles outside of downtown Portsmouth (I didn't have a car), and 2) the fact that there are still rooms where smoking is allowed (something I'm not used to in California). Although I was assigned to a non-smoking wing and my room was smoke-free, I could smell cigarette smoke when I walked through the hallways, and that bothered me.

On the whole, however, I had a very nice stay there and would consider returning -- next time with a rental car.

Directions: Shares a driveway with the Saturn car dealership and the Hampton Inn

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

GREAT LOCATION - GREAT MOTEL

Friday, Saturday & Sunday - September 21, 22, 23, 2007
    When Hans and I were looking for a place to stay for the Portsmouth VT Meet, I asked Emily where most VT'ers were staying and she said MOTEL 6, so we went on the internet and booked our room for the weekend.
    It was a great location and rooms were just recently renovated. Our room had a fridge and microwave ( pays to have connections hehe!). And as it was on the first floor not far from the Lobby our room became the "Meeting Room".

• Super Basic, But Clean

The Motel 6 is the least expensive place to stay in Portsmouth, which is a pretty spendy city when it comes to hotels. They offer very basic, but clean rooms. You won't get any extras here like shampoo or hairdryers, and the towels were itty bitty, but really it's not so bad if you're not planning to spend a lot of time in your room. If you're a wrinkle freak (like Ms. Jen) you should also keep in mind that they don't have ironing boards or irons.

One thing they could really improve on is their staff. While they were always polite, they did have a habit of engaging in a lot of unprofessional behavior while working, things such as talking about guests while standing behind the front desk and making customers wait for service while they took cigarette breaks out front.

Unique Quality: The Motel 6 has an outdoor pool, but it was closed for the season when we were there.

Directions: About 2.5 miles from the downtown.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Budget accomodations

When EmilieNoelle was planning this meeting she warned us the Portsmouth lodging could be on the expensive side, even the Motel 6 exceeded $80 per night. Since I was going to be picking up a car, this hotel made a lot of sense to me, inexpensive for the area, free parking and not that far from town (2.7 miles according to their website), it took about 10 minutes by car. That is when we weren't driving around lost!

It's cheaper to book on the internet and weekday rates are cheaper than weekend.

Unique Quality: The room was clean and comfortable, very basic. No toiletries besides soap, no hair dryer in the room although I understand you could get one from the front desk. The bedspreads are rather garish, a bright electric blue with the Motel 6 logo worked into it.

There is an outdoor swimming pool but it was already closed for the season. There are vending machines in the lobby and on each floor but if you need to get sodas and snacks there is also a Shaw's grocery store about a minute away by car. Free coffee in the lobby.

One of our group managed to get a room with a refrigerator and microwave for an extra $3 per night but not all rooms have it so ask in advance if it's important to you.

Directions: I-95 at Spaulding Turnpike/US Route 4, Exit #4