Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel

Orbitz.com Booking.com Sheraton.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo

No Complaints, but also nothing Special

We had our entire class try to book at the Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel. The hotel was fine - well-located, decent food and drink, and although the parking situation is a bit sketchy, they did not charge me for parking or penalize my friends or myself for parking in temporary parking all weekend (i giggle as I write this, but it's the truth). Check-in and check out were both painless.

Unique Quality: Nothing too unique about the hotel, except they put up with our group and our antics (it was our 10 year reunion). A few of my friends stayed on the Suite level, and they had great patios and cool balconies, as well as full kitchens. I would definitely book there if I had to do it again, but I was put on Club Level since I was organizing the event.

Directions: Located in between Market, Deer, and Russell Streets. Entrance is on Russell St.

• jelw's Profile Photo

Great location in town

Good hotel directly in downtown shopping/historic district.
    You get exactly what you'd expect from this major chain. Friendly & helpful staff in this nicely appointed, typical Sheraton.

Unique Quality: The bonus is ease of access to all of downtowns activities. Park in the hotel lot and don't move your car till you leave.

Directions: Port front.
    The one way streets and parking make it difficult to drive the downtown area. Save gas and walk everywhere!

More about Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel

Pretty good, with a couple disappointments

by TripAdvisor Member mommy2boys

My husband and I, and our two boys ages 9 and 6 stayed one night at this hotel this past weekend. We chose it for it's location and because we have seen it many times before and it looked like a nice hotel. We were anxious to get started on our way home, but needed to stop half way, and this was a great point in our travels.
PROS:
*Awesome room, large, with beautiful furnishings.
Super comfy Sheraton Sleeper Bed, very clean.
*Very accomodating staff. Had information on everything you
would need for the area.
*Great location, near all sorts of restaurants, shops, and malls.
*Great selection of pay movies and expanded cable. Loved it.
CONS:
*Pitifully small pool. With 2 kids who like to swim, this was a huge
disappointment. Very dark, only a few lights, no whirlpool, no
comfortable chairs to sit in while they swim. Stayed in it for
about 20 minutes and then had enough.
*Club/Concierge floor is a joke and a waste of money. "Club"
consists of two small rooms, that are locked in the day and open
at 5 pm-8pm. Even then there are fresh veggies and one hot
appetizer. Soda beverages are free, alcoholic are $5 each. This
is NOT like the club level of a Ritz Carlton.
*Very thin walls, we spent the whole night listening to our
neighbors slamming their doors, and the people upstairs running
around, making our light fixtures rattle. No kidding. We called
down to the desk and they did look into it. We had to switch on
our air conditioning all night to block out the noise the best we
could. Therefore, we froze, but at least the kids got some sleep.
All in all, it was a decent place to stay. Definitely geared more toward the business traveler, but not bad. I would probably try somewhere else in Portsmouth next time.

Overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member GoIndians

The Sheraton has a lock on Portsmouth. Unable to find a nice hotel downtown except to the Sheraton. As a result, the room are overpriced, the pool overchlorinated and the fitness center overcrowded. Next time I'll stay over the river in Kittery ME

Only Show in Town

by TripAdvisor Member Gretch123

We just returned from a week at the Sheraton Harborside. We chose this hotel for it's location. It's the only hotel in walking distance to downtown Portsmouth. It's also a great home base to explore Southern Maine. I think that the price of this hotel is quite inflated for what you get. We had just checked out of the Sheraton Boston (at the Prudential Center) and there was no comparison.

We're Platinum members and stay at Starwood properties often. This was nothing special. Our first Club Level room was dirty. I was able to write in the dust on the night stand and it was obvious that the carpet hadn't been vaccumed. We asked for a new room and again, it hadn't been vaccumed. There were crumbs around the base of the table and chairs.

The Club Level lounge wasn't so exciting. It was pretty basic and was contained in two tiny rooms -- there was a couple having a drink in each room and there was no place for us to sit (we exceeded the limit!).

The Lobby had a pianist playing every night. It was very nice. The front desk personnel was friendly and the doorman was very helpful with restaurant recommendations and places of interest. The Isles of Shoals cruise leaves from across the street. The shops in Portsmouth were fun to browse and the restaurants were excellent. A couple of the outside decks had some great live music to enjoy on a beautiful summer evening.

Overall, the hotel was nice, nothing spectacular. If you want to be in the heart of Portsmouth and all of the goings on, this is the place. It's the only show in town.

Why can't Portsmouth come up with something downtown?

by TripAdvisor Member JuleJule1

This place is a joke. Starwood should be ashamed to have this on their list. We have stayed several times before because it is convenient and each time, we swear we will never go back. I wish Portsmouth could come up with something decent downtown.

Fuctional but nothing special

by TripAdvisor Member JimMCM

I would probably give this hotel 3.5 stars, but I had to round down b/c 4 stars is too much.

Pros: sufficient size room, Sheraton sleeper beds, free breakfast (if on club level), good location, free high speed internet

Cons: doesn't come off as a princely establishment - simply ordinary, club level room is truly the smallest I have ever seen in my life (I turn and walk through the door expecting a vast layout and I get something half the size of my room. It's embarrassing), poor decoration in room - I'm not one who typically cares about this, but there is a lot blank wall space.

Sadly, the best you can find in Portsmouth, and that ain't much!

I stay at this hotel 3-4 times a year for business trips. Portsmouth is a great little town, with excellent restaurants. The accomodations in town are really disappointing, and sadly -the Sheraton is probably the best, which is very poor. I've stayed in other hotel and resorted to a couple of the larger B&B's, all horrendous. The Sheraton charges 4 star in town prices for motel like accomodations. The restaurant serves inedible food more slowly than you can imagine, and the rooms are standard issue, a bit frayed, dated, and the walls paper thin. One evening I had to listen to the couple in the next room having sex for over an hour VERY loudly - and then again in the morning. It was as if I were in the same room with them, and a colleague 2 doors down from me even heard it. And this is the Club Floor.
The club level amenities are pathetic - high prices for low end wine and beer, and a sad tray of stale and steaming fried dumplings. They don't even serve the breakfast on the Club Floor, but you have to go downstairs to the bar where breakfast is set up. Yikes - Don't Bother!
Portsmouth needs a nice, medium priced, simple but nice hotel. It would be packed, because the only competition is in Boston.

A pleasant experience

by TripAdvisor Member Boondoggler

Having read some of the reviews of this hotel prior to going I was a little concerned. Maybe my expectations had been managed but we had an excellent stay. The location of the hotel is great - an easy stroll to the attractions of the town. Despite the scale of the hotel we found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. The room was as expected in this class of hotel. The only down side for us was the pool was a little busy. I would certainly stay here again.

Great until Bed time

by TripAdvisor Member amykins0711

I like the location of this hotel, sheraton basically does have a lock on portsmouth if you want to be one block from market st. The room was nice, pool was decent enough, it would be way better if they had a jacuzzi. The food was fair at the restaurant. I would recommend this hotel up until when we went to bed. At midnight the people next to us came home from a bar and were drinking and talking loud until 3am. The walls of this hotel may as well be paper mache` they are so thin. I called security 2x and they responded fast, the people didn't listen. Eventually they passed out at 330 am. The hotel offered us free brunch, but I would have been more happy with half off as well. Its not the hotels fault when people act up , its just poor construction, the walls are ridiculously thin.

Comments