Merrimack River Kayak & Canoe Trips
The Merrimack River Watershed, New England's fourth largest watershed, begins at the Old Man of the Mountain in Franconia Notch, NH and ends where it meets the Atlantic Ocean in Newburyport, MA. Traveling nearly 180 miles in total, the watershed covers more than 5,000 square miles and includes 203 communities.
See the Website below for Kayak & Canoe Teams and their schedules.
What's a Watershed??
A watershed is the land area from which surface runoff and groundwater flows into a particular river, lake, stream, pond, or other body of water.
. What You Should Bring
* Canoe or kayak and paddles (See Website for rentals)
* Sunscreen and a hat
* Dry bag for wallet, etc.
* Adequate liquid to drink and a lunch
* Sneakers that can get wet
* Appropriate dry clothes and a towel in a plastic bag
* Personal Floatation Devices PFDs (life preservers) are required: Strongly recommend that you and your children wear your life preserver at all times while paddling.
New Hampshire law requires one wearable PFD must present for each person in the boat and that PFD must be worn by everyone age 5 or under.
Massachusetts law requires that life preservers be worn by each person under age 13, and by all persons in a canoe or kayak between September 15 and May 15.