4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Travelocity Booking.com Historic Hotels

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Mountain View Grand Hotel

Built in the 19th Century as one of New England's premier grand hotels, the Mountain View fell on hard times in the 1980's when it eventually closed its doors. In 2002 it was reopened under new ownership after a massive $20 million restoration.

I have stayed in several luxury hotels including the Bellagio and the Westin Whistler and I have to say that this one is right up there with them as far as beauty, attention to detail, and service are concerned.

Unique Quality: This hotel has many unique qualities. Foremost there is the historic building itself. It is breathtaking when you first see it driving in. The hotel also has valet parking so there is no walking and struggling with luggage for guests. Inside they have 2 restaurants, a very nice bar, a game room, a gym, a pool and sauna, a library, and my favorite, a luxury spa.

Outdoors in winter they have an ice rink and rent skates and cross country skis. In summer they have a huge golf course and an outdoor pool complete with a bar.

The rooms are also beautiful and tastefully done, and of course you get BATHROBES, which to me is the hallmark of a great hotel.

Directions: Take Rt. 93 North from Boston to Whitefield exit. You can see the hotel off the exit in winter without the leaves on the trees.

More about Mountain View The Grand Resort And Spa

Great Stay at the Mountain View Grand with Children

My husband and I recently stayed at the Mountain View Grand with our three young children - ages 3-7. We thought it was excellent and very, very relaxing. I frequently stay at top resorts and eat at top restaurants for work related reasons - here in the US and internationally - and think the hotel is wonderful and cannot understand the negative reviews of others. The hotel is beautiful and there are many nice open public spaces inside which was good for our group because they like to move around a lot. The views from the front porch (and from the "back" of the hotel too) were spectacular but you didn't have the hordes of people roaming around that detract significantly from the porches of the Homestead and the Mohonk and similar hotels. It is truly relaxing. Also, you can easily order food and/or drinks on the front porch. You can even eat dinner on the front porch. The children had a great time. There is a beautiful outdoor pool (with the same great views) and a nice playground next to the outdoor pool. The kids had their lunch outside one day at the pool (food came quickly and was very good) and really enjoyed it. The indoor pool was also nice and had a shallow end with steps. They also spent some time in the "kids club" with Paula, who was great. There was no additional fee for the kids club and they enjoyed their activities. They fed the fish on the property, caught frogs, and did a treasure hunt searching for clues inside and outside of the hotel. We also took hikes together on nearby hiking trails that were easily accessible. Also, the food and wine at Juliet's was very good and the childrens' meals there were great. Not just chicken tenders. One night, my 7 year old had grilled chicken, mixed vegetables and mashed potatoes and the next evening he had a smiliar meal but with grilled fish. We were able to find a very good bottle of wine (whites and a red) each evening. In addition, our room itself was great. We were in a very large room that could accommodate 5 people. The beds were comfortable and I didn't see a single dead fly. There was AC but we slept instead with the windows open because the weather in New Hampshire is perfect in August - warm during the day and cooling off at night. Finally, overall, the rates were reasonable and the entire trip was less expensive than similar trips we have taken to similar hotels. A great time at a good value.

Juliet's

by emilienoelle about Juliet's

Juliet's is located inside the Mountain View Grand Hotel. It is a five star establishment with unbelievable views of the mountains. They offer only the freshest meats and produce and have a great wine list. Whether you are staying at the Mountain View or not, reservations are a must for dinner, especially on weekends. This is a great place for a very romantic date or a special occasion. I had the venison when we are here. It was quite good, from a local farm. Rob had the lamb, which is what he always seems to get when we go to a nice restaurant, and he reported it to be the best he's had. The smoked trout salad was also very nice.

Nicky Finn's Lounge

by emilienoelle about Nicky Finn's Lounge

Nicky Finn's Lounge, also located inside the Mountain View Grand, is a masculine room decorated with warm wood tones. Casual meals are served here, at al lower price than at Juiet's, the hotel's other restaurant, but with the advantage of being made by Juliet's chef in the same kitchen, so you are essentially getting the same food. The bar here is elegant and comfortable, definately the type where you sit down and never want to get up. In addition to alcoholic drinks they also have a variety of specialty coffees. The lounge has a fireplace and a pool table, and in the back room, various forms of live entertainment, from comedians to dance bands, perform frequently.

Fantastic--new owners!

by TripAdvisor Member sam629

Just spent 3 days 2 nights at this hotel. We had the Romantic Rendezvous package--I highly recommend it--2 nights including breakfast and dinner, a bottle of champagne and fruit upon arrival and turndown service. Our mountain view room was on the first floor---mattress felt new and room was large. Our first impression was complimentary valet service by delightful bell hop who insisted on taking our luggage up on the antique elevator just one floor. When our champagne and fruit had not appeared by 5pm, my husband asked the desk. Not only did we receive the champagne and fruit immediately, we rec'd another bottle and basket of fruit the next day! For our dinner in the pub--we ate quite late--and the bartender at the pub was attentive, quick, and very accomodating. Our first morning featured a fantastic cooked-to-order breakfast with impeccable service. When I sent my sausage back to be reheated, I believe the waitress apologized 3 times. PB&J sandwiches and milk were out in the lobby both nights until 10pm. The Dodge Game room is spacious and well kept. Complimentary coffee is served every morning in the Eisenhower library until 11---and breakfast is served until 10:30. The buffet breakfast we had the 2nd day was good--food could have been a bit warmer. Our dinner in Juliet's was delicious. Very slow service, but delicious. It was neat to see hospitality students working in the restaurant. Housekeeping staff was friendly yet unobtrusive. Both pools were quiet and clean. We had the outdoor pool at the country club to ourselves. Judging from the reviews I have read here, my guess is that the company now running this hotel/resort has working hard to bring this hotel back up to par. This is a top notch resort with impeccable service. I hope they are able to keep up this level of service and attract guests (there were very few during our stay). We plan to visit again.

feels like an exclusive club in a world class setting

by TripAdvisor Member AnchorInHyannisowner

with fantastic mountain views. What you don't see on the website is the views FROM the hotel. Great place for a "mountain cam". Sitting on the classic porch at any time overlooking the mountains is heaven. Attentive service with a smile at every turn. The kids received a welcome package upon arrival. Complimentary cookies and milk were left in the room in the evening with turn down service along with a rose each night. An a amazing restoration of this landmark, historic property. great place to getaway to. We'll be back.

Overpriced. Will Not Return

by TripAdvisor Member sailorgrl16

Just returned from a girls' weekend, and unfortunately I don't have very high marks for this "resort". The hotel is very overpriced for what it is. While the setting is beautiful, our room (which costs over $500/night!!) was small, had a small and very plain bathroom, not even a fireplace or balcony for that price! The spa is an afterthought- I've seen nicer "spas" at fitness centers.

The worst part about the hotel is the service. When we pulled in, we had to go in and track down the valet and bellhop- no one there to greet or help us. The food service at the bar and restaurant is very slow. We ordered room service Friday night and our tray was still in the hall outside of our room on Sunday morning when we checked out. We rarely saw any staff working on anything, anywhere to keep the inn clean and running smoothly. The staff we did see were not very friendly. For these prices, I expect at least a "hello" when I pass a staff member in the hall.

I have stayed in some of the best inns and resorts in the U.S. but this is not one that I will visit again or recommend. It is so incredibly overpriced for small rooms w/ no amenities, horrible service, and over-the-top "resort fees". Still not sure what the $30 resort fee got us. Save your money... If you like New England resorts, I recommend StoweFlake in Stowe, VT.

they need alot of help

by TripAdvisor Member dbacch1960

our 25th anniversery, no valet had to carry my own luggage to the room, short on help was charged 36.00 for a breakfast buffet set out for bus trips, help complained to me no maintaince when i noticed a window hazard. bartender rude, demands payment immediately even though they have a credit card, dinner no water, 2 hours to recieve meals over an hour for each drink wife in tears

Horrible

The worst experience we have ever had and we travel alot. There was no staff and everyone was complaining. When we arrived it took an hour to get our luggage brought up to our room as there was only one part time bell boy. We had to use the stairs the entire weekend to get to our room on the third floor as there was no one to operate the elevator. There was no maitre'd to seat us for dinner Friday night, after waiting ten minutes we went to the front desk to ask where he had gone. The woman at the front desk tracked him down serving dinner. There were two waitstaff plus the maitre'd for a full dining room. Once we were seated it took 1/2 hr. to get water. After my first course the waitress told me to keep my knife and fork as I would need them for my entree!!!! This was not an inexpensive restaurant, entrees averaged $30. It was horrible. Saturday night we cancelled our plans to eat at the Mt. View and went to the Mt. Washington instead, it was lovely and well staffed. All weekend people were complaining, leaving in anger and upset. I have never seen anything like it. I plan to write to the owners and try to get some of my money refunded. We had two connecting rooms at $500.00 per room per night. If I had known how bad it was going to be I would not have stayd there for free. Management should be ashamed.

Whitefield, New Hampshire

by emilienoelle

We traveled to Whitefield, NH for the weekend of my birthday in 2003 to have a nice get away. It is a tiny town in Northern New Hampshire's White Mountains, somewhat near the Canadian border. Our main reason for going was to stay at the newly restored Mountain View Grand Hotel. But the scenery and surrounding mountains were also gorgeous, even in the sub-zero weather. It was a very relaxing time.

Mountain View GrandMountain View Grand

Whitefield, New Hampshire Area

by lindsyb

I'm new to this board and I don't think I posted this properly earlier.

My husband and I have made reservations for the Mountain View Grand hotel in Whitefield NH for Memorial Day weekend for our anniversary weekend. Although we will be spending some time at the hotel and hopefully a couple of spa treatments, I am looking for recommendations for some other things to do in the area (beginner hiking or kayaking) to enjoy the outdoors and the scenery. Also looking for some restaurant recommendations in that area as well. Thanks in advance.

Comments