Berkeley Hotel

#2
Rank 2 of 4 hotels
in Asbury Park
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 3 reviews

SCAM. Terrible. Watch Out!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 29, 2012

At 10am security knocked on our door. I rolled out of bed and answered the door. My friend was still asleep in the other bed. He claimed that they got a report of someone smoking in the room. I told him it wasn't us and that he just woke us up. He was very rude and said he knew we were smoking and to not do it again. I told him we didn't, but OK, we won't. The next day my credit card was charged $250 which I later found out was a "smoking penalty".

I asked the manager to go to my room and smell it herself. She refused. She called me later and said she spoke with the security guard and he confirmed he "saw smoke" in the room which is absolutely ridiculous.

Aside from that experience, the hotel itself was sub-par at best. The area was terrible. We literally saw two people laying on the grass just outside the hotel's property who clearly just shot up heroin (or some other drug). It was disgusting. We mentioned it to the door man as we walked in and he said, "it's off the property, it's not my problem."

The beach was OK. There were a bunch of abandoned buildings around the hotel. Place looked like it could have been nice, but not so clean.

Unique Quality: The outside of the building and front desk area was very nice. The rooms were OK. Everything else was not good.

Don't Stay Here!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 2, 2010

Rude staff, dirty rooms, run down, pool is falling apart, noisy, overpriced. I could go on and on. They never have the room you paid for, everyone is always lined up at the front desk complaining. They barely clean anything and people are coming in and out of the place at all hours. The staff is so poorly managed they should wipe the job off their resumes. They can't get the bill right, so look it over several times before you pay. You would be better off staying almost anywhere else.

Unique Quality: it's across the street from the beach and asbury park's super boardwalk, but still not worth staying there

A nice hotel in a bad area.

by written on November 29, 2002

The Berkeley Carteret Hotel is one of the Grand Hotels of a by-gone era. A 20 million dollar USD restoration and renovation in 1985 created a unique and impressive blend of modern luxury and classic beauty. Directly opposite the Atlantic Ocean, guests enjoy numerous sandy beaches, miles of scenic boardwalk. Located in the heart of the Jersey Shore. There are 250 luxury suites and rooms offering spacious accommodations, all with private full bath. Minutes from area attractions, The Berkeley Carteret Hotel is an ideal jumping-off point for the night-life of both, New York City and Atlantic City, and leisurely relaxed days by the sea.

Unique Quality: Nice views if you like abandoned buildings, empty lots, and crumbiling boardwalks.

Directions: Downtown on the beachfront.

Nearby Berkeley Hotel

• Shuttle Service
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Asbury Park Travel Forum

Need advice about Asbury Park, New Jersey? Visit the Travel Forum for Asbury Park and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Asbury Park