Chelsea Hotel

Satisfaction Average

More about Chelsea Hotel

Chelsea Clearly Not Ready for Guests

by TripAdvisor Member MoFox

My buddies and I booked several rooms at the Chelsea for a bachelor party. The hotel itself was fine (probably on par with a Sheraton, but with a 50s hotel theme), however we had many service issues.

Some of our issues included: losing our dinner reservations, not being able to make room keys, no food service at the pool, slow elevators, inability to bill a single room, and a general lack of understanding for how a hotel should operate efficiently. For three hundo a night, this was clearly not acceptable.

On the bright side, they did give me a complementary stamp for a postcard.

New York is without doubt, the...

by maxcantrell

New York is without doubt, the city to visit in the USA, because it's so unlike the rest of the country. It's chaotic, unruly, surprising, funny, dangerous, hectic, romantic, dirty, creative and much more all at the same time. For me there are two New Yorks: The touristy N.Y. with its Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, 42nd street, On Broadway shows and then there is the other Big Apple: The low-key residents Manahattan which is either north of Central Park around Columbus University or south of Times square encompasing The Village, SoHo, Chelsea, Little Italy, Chinatown and the piers. Here time takes on another aspect as you can just sit down to a game of chess in Washington Square, hang out with the squirrels in Union Square, have a coffee in my favourite hang-out...the ABC Carpet shop on the corner of Broadaway and 27 (the coffee shop takes a bit of finding, but it's like sitting in the wings of some enormous theatre!!) Chocolate Chip cookies!

Great Italian food without breaking the bank

by gipper84 about Bertucci's

Bertucci's is one of my favorite U.S. chain restaurants. It offers good Italian food from brick oven pizzas to Italian dishes. It is also a great place to hang out with friends. For example, the night before Jessi and I set out for Chelsea's little league tournament in Luray, David, Rachel, Nick, Camie, Megan, and Adam joined Jessi and me. We had to be annoying the waitress with our frequent requests for sweet tea and our singing things like "Lord, I Lift Your Name on High" at the top of our lungs. Then, a few months later, I took Nat here for his 36th birthday. Bill, Greg, and Dustin joined Nat and me. We weren't as big a group and not quite as loud, but we had a great time. The wait staff is very attentive, not to mention very patient with large groups like those I bring here. The food is every bit as good as Maggiano's, but much more economical. Sometimes I go for the brick oven pizza, but other times I'll take the lasagna, and the night we took Nat out I had rigatoni, broccoli and chicken. I like their bread (with an olive oil and herb dipping sauce) and salads as well as the main entrees. The food never disappoints whether I'm coming here with only Jessi or a large group of friends I am fortunate to have.

Meet the Locals in Albany Georgia

by Basaic

Chelsea worked in the Gift Shop in the RiverQuarium in Albany. Seemed kind of shy. It is always worthwile to meet some of the locals.

by TripAdvisor Member JerseyLifesabeach

We just returned from a one night stay at the Chelsea. The hotel is beautiful and in a great location. We had a great experience from valet parking to check out, the service far exceeded our expectations. I can't say enough of the service, everyone went out of their way to say hello, good morning, and to see if we needed anything. The 5th floor was great and the pool bar had one of the best mojito's I've ever had. We will definitely return to the Chelsea!

Atlantic City's Newest Hot Spot!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member TheTravelers_8

We recently came back from a little getaway and stayed at the Chelsea. We were amazed at how trendy and upscale this hotel was. The room was a nice size, big bathroom, flat screen TV, and most importantly theh best bed we ever slept in! Beds are more comfortable than the Borgata beds. The pool was another impressive factor. They have comfortable cushions on all of the lounge chairs, they make it private enough for couples because they section some areas off by 2's. They also have cabanas that can be rented by the pool (fee). The staff at the Chelsea totally pamper you. They greet you when you get to the pool, they get your towels, serve you drinks & food, and are extremely hospitable. Also, when you go to the beach, The Chelsea has their own chairs, towels, and umbrellas (no charge) that they bring to you. They also have Chelsea cabanas (fee) that can be rented on the beach. The pool, by the way, is located on the trendy "Fifth Floor". The pool is on a terrace. They are also building a salt water pool and spa, which will be finished by Oct. 08. The "Fifth floor" has a restaurant, game room, lounge, fireplace, bar, and pool. We would by far recommend this place for couples and singles. Not really meant for families just becuase it's more of a trendy place.

Best Option for Driving Beach Trip

by TripAdvisor Member LadyShark

We just returned from a terrific 2 night stay at The Chelsea. I'm giving this hotel 5 stars, because we had a great time, and loved the rooms, beach and pool. The amenities in the room are great including nice plush robes, good choices in soaps / shampoos, even Lysterine Mouth Wash replaced daily. Obviously the rooms are brand new, and the beds very comfortable. The outdoor pool is small, but the pool area is very luxurious and the lounge chairs are very comfortable. The second pool which isn't ready yet is supposedly bigger. The full service on the beach is also a major plus - free lounge chairs, umbrellas, towels, etc. This is not available anywhere else in AC, actually it is not offered at any hotels within reasonable driving distance of the Tri State area. The hotel is actually only about 50 steps from the Tropicana casino and near their restaurants where we ate both nights. The walk was not a problem at all. As others pointed out, the hotel offers free carriage rides on the boardwalk. We chose to walk and did not utilize this service. Valet parking is $15 on the weekend and $10 during the week, or if you have a players card at the Tropicana I suppose you could park there until The Chelsea's self parking deck opens up.

Our 5 star rating is based, in part, on our belief that The Chelsea is truly the best option for a weekend beach / swimming trip that is within driving distance of the Tri State Area. We've stayed at our share of 5 star properties (Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, The Cove Atlantis, etc.) and are not rating this hotel relative to those hotels. For someone who is not driving distance who is looking to plan a trip, I would not recommend AC period. I do not think it is worth a flying trip as the Caribbean and Las Vegas are just better, nicer options - period. But for those of you looking for a weekend driving trip, who like us, did not plan ahead and book a Jersey Shore or Hamptons rental unit months in advance, The Chelsea really is your best option, The rooms are nicer than those at the Borgata and in the summer it is nicer to be on the beach and the Boardwalk. Just our opinion. Anyway - choose the Chelsea - you'll have a great time!

Great Value GO GO GO

I stayed a the Chelsea for two nights on the 24 and 25 of Aug.The staff is the best .Jennifer the night manager addressed my not hot water problem very fast by upgrading my room and discounting my rate.(109.00 Travelzoo waterfront)The rooms are Brand New and very tastefully done.There are still growing pains, Slow elevators,Long Lines,Loud AC. Sheila was the best at getting things done when you had a problem.Parking was 10.00 and I had no wait to get my car. The service was great and really made my stay more comfortable.

Holiday Inn meets HGTV

by TripAdvisor Member wenrock

My husband and I just got back from a Tuesday night stay at the Clesea and were very disappointed. We arrived around 7 PM and had to wait 15 minutes to check in because there was only one person working at the front desk. We had partial ocean view on the 10th floor and I would describe the decor as Shabby Chic. The room was in blue and brown tones with a leopard print chair and glossy white cockatoo lamps. I felt like I walked into an HGTV set. The beds and bedding were very comfortable, and the towels and amenities good quality. The water pressure in the shower was borderline acceptable. There was no iron, ironing board, refrigerator, safe or coffee makers in the room. The rooms didn't even have a brochure about the hotel or a map showing you where the spa, pools and other facilities were. The workmanship in the room was also borderline-crooked wallpaper seams, and sloppy caulking around the bathroom sink. The restaurant - Chelsea prime was a huge disappointment. We did not have reservations. When we got there, there were a lot of empty tables and were told we would be seated in less than 15 minutes. 45 minutes and 2 drinks later - and watching almost everybody who walked in get seated -no table. When we asked, they "lost" our name. 10 minutes later we were seated and waited for 10 more minutes. No one even brought us water. We looked around the dining room, and no one had food on the table and there was a lot of negative body language - crossed arms, people slouched in chairs, so we got up and walked out. No one asked us why we were leaving. So much for the much anticipated new S Starr restaurant!. We then thought we would hang out on the 5th floor - advertised as being a great hang out for the over 21 crowd. I'm not sure what the advertisements were referring to, because the place was over run with pre-teen kids. We couldn't get near the pool table. On the positive side, the valet service was exceptional, they did everything they could to be helpful. The beach service was also great, though there were no waiters taking food and drink orders as advertised. The advertisements also advertise it is on the board walk. Well, it is if you walk around the building that is sitting in front of the Chelsea. There is no direct boardwalk frontage. The Chelsea was a Holiday Inn that was renovated. One of my fellow travelers summed it up correctly, once a Holiday Inn, always a Holiday Inn.

Atlantic City

by Suet

"Hitting Da Casinos!!!"

5th May...Having got up at 6.00am I was somewhat knackered but was revived slighly by the drive to Atlantic City, best bit was entering the city with Dire Straits blaring out! found the hotel Howard Johnson Atlantic City, Chelsea/Pacific Avenue, Atlantic City NJ 08401 tel 609 344 7071. This was a bit run down and a funny system of entering the car park through a neighbouring hotel.

"The Boardwalk"

We went to the Boardwalk to see what we could see. Atlantic City is tacky, bright, garish, in horribly bad taste and we loved it! Tried to call Wiley_Coyote on his mobile but you can't do that from payphones apparently. Eh no worries we caught up with him in New York City!!!

"Gambling......"

Can't remember which casino we went in, Bright, noisy, no free food unfortunately.... I played roulette and was doing well until I lost the lot. Anyway we only managed about 3 hours gambling, Roy won $25!!!! We also found an internet cafe to send emails and check up on VT (serious withdrawal symptoms by now). I was possibly dead, but too tired to notice at this point. Nice walk along the beach back to the Hotel.

ChelseaChelsea

Chelsea the Gift Shop GirlChelsea the Gift Shop Girl

Caesars at background from BoardwalkCaesars at background from Boardwalk

Factory outlets are heaven sentFactory outlets are heaven sent

Lodging for 6!

by Nomad_2001

My family and I hope to travel through New Jersey this August. Any suggestions on where 2 adults, 1 sitter and 3 children can stay in or very near Atlantic City for a night? Ideally, we would like to have a large suite with two double beds and a sofa.

Also, any suggestions on white sandy beach areas in Southern New Jersey? And, of course, same issue on lodging.

I appreciate any guidance you may be able to provide. Alternatively, I guess we'll have to roll the dice on staying in a standard 4-guest suite.

Re: Lodging for 6!

by zapfilms

the beaches are great and historic, if you go to AC you may have the best luck in a casino property because their money is made in casinos, make sure its a boardwalk one... nearby towns include beautiful brigantine to the north, ventnor margate and longport to the south with great beaches and less lodging. there´s the newly refurbished chelsea hotel also... lots to do in ac-

Re: Lodging for 6!

by asturnut

for that many guests, you may just want to rent a house for the week. personally, with children, i wouldn't recommend STAYING in AC proper. there are more family friendly places you can stay that are nearby. AC is fantastic to visit for the day, or for an adult excursion at night, but for younger kids, Sea Isle or Ocean City is good, older kids love Wildwood. That's just my personal opinion. If your set on staying in AC, your best bet is staying in a casino hotel. Outside the realm of the casinos, the neighborhoods are mostly seamy.

Hotels -please help

by AnalisaC

I have never been to Atlantic City and got an awsome deal through Howard Johnsons - I am trying to find out if this is a decent hotel to stay at. Its on Chelsea ave..... I know its very close to the boardwalk so I was hoping it was not in the "bad" part. Anyone with any information please let me know.

Re: Hotels -please help

by joesorce

It's only close to the Tropicana Hotel, the other major resorts are a one mile walk. There is a local shuttle bus that stops in front of the hotel though.

The hotel is old and worn-out but generally clean and safe. Ask for a room on the quiet side of the hotel as the street side rooms are VERY noisy. The best thing about this place is the price....it is all downhill from there.

Re: Re: Hotels -please help

by Rhondaj

when i go to atlantic city, it's only to places with valet parking. it's the only city i get consistently robbed or panhandled in...

Re: Hotels -please help

by shashasharon

try the flagship all suites..its usually pretty cheap

Which District to stay in?

by teejaybee

Hi everyone

I have visited the States many times but have never been to New York. Now my local airport has direct flights and I have booked for next May. My question is where should I look for hotels? Should it been Manhattan, Uptown, Downtown, Nr Central Park?

Ideally we want to be fairly central and within walking distance of major shopping opportunities and dining at night. Your comments are really welcome and of course if you can recommend a particular hotel that would be great!

Thanks a lot

Re: Which District to stay in?

by Jozzzef

if you are on a budget hotel31 is a very good option. It is located in the middle of manhattan. Check my pages for more. have a nice trip

Re: Re: Which District to stay in?

by littlesam1

When I go to New York I usually look for a room in the Chelsea area. There are some wonderful places there and they are not overly expensive.

Larry