Oceanfront at 78th Street, Avalon, NJ, 8202, USA
Booking.com Priceline.com Tingo.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Golden Inn Hotel

Golden Inn in Avalon was an EXCELLENT choice!!!

by TripAdvisor Member toniisme

We just returned from a week long vacation at the Golden Inn Hotel. It was one of the best vacations our family has ever taken. We were VERY skeptical at first to go here because of some of the reviews we have read prviously on this site. We are here to report that the experience we had there was everything a family with 2 young children could ever want! The staff was very nice & helpful. We had many questions because we had never vacationed in the area before & we asked many questions, every questioned was answered with even more suggestions for our family. We stayed in the older wing, the furniture is not as new as the rooms in the newer wing, but the important thing was it was very very clean. We did not care if the furniture was a little older as long as it was clean, it saved us quite a bit more money than having new furniture. For anyone readin all the prior reviews, we tell you to experince it for yourself. You will not be disappointed. Everyone is great from the time we made the reservation until the time we checked out. We will definitely go back next year!

Avalon is great - Goldenn Inn just ok

by TripAdvisor Member robmoo

The good: We stayed at the Golden Inn for the Mid-week package in June 2007 for $799.00 + tax for 5 nights; this package included 6 vouchers for dinners at their 2 restaurants; Luigi’s and The Golden Inn dining room. Considering you are staying in Avalon on the beach for $159.00 a night including 6 meals this is great deal. (FYI…1 week later in July this same package was $1299.00) We have stayed there the last 3 years on this package and have really enjoyed ourselves. The pool is great, nice and clean. Outdoor grill and bar with daily specials and occasional acoustic entertainment in the afternoons. The beach is right there and beach tags are included for the week. There is a nice group of clientele that frequent this hotel so there are little to no riff raff mostly middle class families and older people. The Golden Inn Dining room was nice. Not the best meal in the world but decent. Atmosphere is very nice but the service does not match the atmosphere. You will get the feeling you are in Mel’s diner instead of a nicely decorated dining room in Avalon. I would not go out of my way to eat there unless I had the vouchers included with the stay. All in all I will categorize it as “slightly above average”

The bad: The Golden Inn has 2 wings, the East wing and the West wing. We have only stayed in the West wing because of the price difference in the packages and because we spend little to no time in our actual room. The East wing is newly renovated; the West wing is in serious need of upgrades and renovations. The rooms are old, poorly decorated (circa 1985) and not the most cleanliness on the planet. Their other restaurant Luigi’s was horrible. We got seated for our reservation and waited 20+ minutes with the server not even glancing at us as se waited on surrounding tables. I went to the hostess and asked if we can get a server to our table and she responded “Oh, she hasn’t been there yet?” The same server that did not glance at us came to our table and in a huff with no apology asked “I’m going to the bar can I get you anything?” Anyway it was all down hill from there. The food was horrible, I ordered the Shrimp and crab meat over linguine and it had absolutely no taste! I can’t imagine how in the world you can make this dish and make it taste like I was eating unflavored oatmeal. When the check finally came I had to send it back 3 times! over disputed charges of what was included in our package. One of the worst experiences in my recent dining memory. I did have the satisfaction of burying the waitress by name on the survey at check out.
In closing; if you can get a good deal at the Golden Inn on a package go for it but don’t pay $300.00 per night, you will be disappointed.

Fair Experience

by TripAdvisor Member lancdoc

I recently stayed one night at the Golden Inn to pick up my son who had stayed with a friend for the week. We made the reservation on Expedia; with a decent rate of $132. My wife swears that when they see you had a discounted rate they give you a poor room. In any event we stayed in room 127 in the old section. One of the lights in the bathroom was out, the television reception was poor, and there were old cigarette butts on the balcony. My coffee cup needed to be cleaned, the tub drain worked poorly, and there was some mold around the tub calking. On the good side, the bed was clean and comfortable, and the restaurant bar where we had a drink after walking on the beach was fairly priced, clean and friendly. The Inn is right on the beach and the setting is nice. Had I paid a full price fare; or stayed for more than one evening I would have been more upset.

Please DO NOT go here!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member bigapple52

Went to the Golden Inn for a meeting. From the moment we walked into the hotel till the moment we left we had a horrible experience. Our room did have bed bugs, eventhough they said it didn't. If there wasn't any bed bugs why did they more our room after they came up to look at the beds? We tried to get in touch with the head Manager for the hotel but he was hiding from us. We could see through the door at the front desk and we saw the front desk employees talking to him but he wouldn't come out. The service in the restaurant was also horrible and the food was cold. Once again do not go here.

Items missing from the room

by TripAdvisor Member amutz

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a brief vacation. In the time we were there the front desk could answer none of our questions (where to eat, night life ect.) we joked about how every time we stopped at the front desk there seemed to be a very upset guest which became very apparent when we checked out. When I returned home I realized I had forgotten to empty one of the drawers which contained two bikinis and a dress of mine. I immediately called the hotel and was transferred around. I spent two days leaving messages that went unreturned. When I finally got through to a member of housekeeping (who sounded nervous that I got through)she admitted to receiving my messages but said she was real busy and would have to call me back. I waited another day and after two more messages someone else called me back and said that my belongings were not found, that security checks every drawer after check out and found nothing, (which means it was a staff employee who took my things and not a guest), and that there was nothing else they could do. At this time I asked to speak to a manager and was transferred to another voice mail and two more days of no return calls before I got through to another manager who promised to call me the following morning which of course never happened. Finally after several more phone calls and two more days the head manager returned my call to tell me my items were not found, there was nothing he would do about it (not even apologize for the way the situation was handeled), and that I had no right to complain about it. IF YOU VALUE BEING TREATED LIKE A PERSON AND THE SAFETY OF YOUR BELONGINGS DO NOT STAY HERE!

Nice, but not worth the price

by TripAdvisor Member hummv2

We just came back from having a high school reunion here. Our room was in the older West Wing but I found it very nice. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The carpet was old and stained but not enough to bother me. The little coffee pot didn't work and it took 3 trips to the front desk to get it replaced. We couldn't call down because the phone didn't work. I found it very quiet and we were near an elevator but it only worked half the time. The food and drinks were good although a little pricy. The patio by the pool is very nice with lots of lounge chairs. I loved the bar near the beach as it is very convenient. The lunches served outside on the patio are also very good. I thought for a shore motel this one was very good and, as I said, I found it clean and comfortable. Also the front desk was kind enough to let me use the computer in the office to check in for our flight. There were a few little glitches but, on a whole, I enjoyed our stay here and will go back if the opportunity arises.

Spacious rooms, comfortable beds, housekeeping needs work

by TripAdvisor Member CACAFG

The room and bathroom were very spacious. The beds were comfortable. We were in the older wing, so there were a few items that didn't work perfectly (ie: the sliding screen to the balcomy), but nothing really major. Although we were the closest room to the elevator, noise was not an issue, and the stairs were really convenient. The staff seemed friendly and helpful, both at the front desk and in the restaurant. The only real negative was that the cleaning did not extend to under/behind furniture. I could see small items that had been dropped by previous guests by the nightstand and under the dresser. The rest of the room and the bathroom were all well-cleaned, however.
The pool area is really nice and you are steps away from the beach. The area is nice, and the town of Avalon is worth a walk or drive (it's about 20 blocks away)--very quaint and unique stores.
While we had no problems while there, there is the potential for a problem with the balconies--you can easily climb over the railing from room to to room, and if someone doesn't lock the sliding door securely, there's a security issue.

Bed Bugs

by TripAdvisor Member Ladydi07

I stayed two nights. The morning after the first night I had a couple of bug bites on the back of my neck and on my arms. I thought that they were the result of the previous day's golf outing. The next night I woke before 5:00 am with bites all over my face, neck, arms, and hands. Upon turning over the bed pillows and pulling back the covers I discovered several both dead and alive bugs. Management apologized, removed all hotel charges from my credit card, but I was there on business and would have been reimbursed all expenses. I had a severe reaction to the bites and am now on my second day of Dr. perscribed prednisolone.

It makes me sick to think that bugs were crawling all over my face during the night.

Don't stay here

Not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member bartr

Stayed here because it is beachfront. Turns out not much of it really is, but at least it's adjacent. The positives: short walk to nice beach; beach bar and pool area are clean and fun; rooms are pretty spacious. The negatives: weddings/parties every day of the weekend (one night couldn't even use the bar and had to schlep across the street for a drink); far from anything else, so you have to drive; bar/restaurant staff very inconsistent.
On balance, stay in Cape May if you want to be able to walk to restaurants, etc., since you'll end up driving anyway. And you can find a lot better prices.

Comments