Albert Stevens Inn

FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Cape May's Tastiest B&B

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 23, 2007

I have stayed at the Albert Stevens Inn twice, and each time I said goodbye to the proprietors, Jim and Lenanne, I felt like I was thanking them for inviting me into their home rather than them thanking me for being a paying guest. The minute you walk into this beautiful Victorian house, you are made to feel right at home.
I have stayed in the Studio Room, which is a modest suite with a King bed, fireplace, TV and DVD player, wet bar, and private bath. There is a slightly recessed living room with a day-bed and small TV for couples who may have different sleeping patterns than their partners. The bathroom has a shower (no tub) and the sink is outside the bathroom. For those that hate following their spouse into a over-steamy (or stinky) bathroom, the fan in the Studio Room bathroom is super-powerful.
Housekeeping is provided daily.
The reason I returned for the second time (and have already planned a future trip) is because of Lenanne's incredible cooking. Each morning, breakfast consists of a fruit dish, an entree, and a breakfast cake. Some of the past menus have been: Fruit Parfait (made with yogurt), eggs and sausage, and a flavorful Bundt Cake (the flavors run together in my mind, but they're ALL good); and Fruit Cocktail (fresh, not canned), Cinnamon Apple Belgium Waffles, followed by another wonderful breakfast cake. They also serve cheese and crackers and cookies in the late afternoon, which is perfect to enjoy sitting outside on their porch.

***Update:
My husband have just returned from our 900th stay at the Albert Stevens Inn (okay, okay... Maybe not that many...). Seriously, we have been returning year after year since our first stay over 7 years ago and it is still wonderful. I decided that to update because earlier this summer, we finally stayed in a different room and I now I'm torn on my favorite.

We stayed in the Tower Room earlier this year and it has a lot of great qualities for people looking for a larger room/suite. The Tower is the only room on the third floor, so it is nice and private (be advised that the stairs up to the Tower can be difficult for someone who struggles with stairs - it's a hike and then the last flight is tricky). The bathroom in the Tower is awesome - it has a beautiful shower with two shower heads and an overall roomy bathroom. There are two recliners for relaxing after walking the town all day and there is a small twin bed in a semi-private adjacent room that could nicely accommodate a couple traveling with a child (check the age requirement for the Inn - I don't think they can accommodate small children). If you are all a tall person, this room may not be for you - the ceilings are low on the sides (think of an 'A') and at 5'3", I have hit my head on them several times (5'11" Husband did not, though, so maybe it's just me...). My only complaint about the Tower is the tiny TV - it's like we're being teased with the recliners and then the TV that is so tiny and far away... But overall a great room and still a fantastic place to stay.

Unique Quality: Bathrobes.
Bikes for guests to use during their stay.
Jim makes a mean Sangria in the summertime and serves with excellent cheeses from the Cape May cheese shop in West Cape May. Don't miss it - whatever you are doing at 4pm, stop and get back to the Inn!

Directions: West Cape May

Well-run and well-located

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 18, 2005

Some nice extras (like wine!) included in room rate. People aren't walking past the property constantly, as on busier streets. Can't see what anyone wouldn't like about this inn, except if they're looking for old-fashioned decor throughout. The bathrooms and some furniture in bedrooms are not Victorian-style.

Unique Quality: Read about the Albert Stevens Inn toward the end of this story:
www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=4364

Directions: About 5 blocks from beach. At Broadway Ave.

Nearby Albert Stevens Inn

• Continental Breakfast
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

Cape May Travel Forum

Need advice about Cape May, New Jersey? Visit the Travel Forum for Cape May and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cape May hotel reviews