Albert Stevens Inn

Albert Stevens Inn
Booking.com Priceline.com Tingo.com

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Cape May's Tastiest B&B

I have stayed at the Albert Stevens Inn twice, and each time I said goodbye to the proprietors, Jim and Lenanne, I felt like I was thanking them for inviting me into their home rather than them thanking me for being a paying guest. The minute you walk into this beautiful Victorian house, you are made to feel right at home.
    I have stayed in the Studio Room, which is a modest suite with a King bed, fireplace, TV and DVD player, wet bar, and private bath. There is a slightly recessed living room with a day-bed and small TV for couples who may have different sleeping patterns than their partners. The bathroom has a shower (no tub) and the sink is outside the bathroom. For those that hate following their spouse into a over-steamy (or stinky) bathroom, the fan in the Studio Room bathroom is super-powerful.
    Housekeeping is provided daily.
    The reason I returned for the second time (and have already planned a future trip) is because of Lenanne's incredible cooking. Each morning, breakfast consists of a fruit dish, an entree, and a breakfast cake. Some of the past menus have been: Fruit Parfait (made with yogurt), eggs and sausage, and a flavorful Bundt Cake (the flavors run together in my mind, but they're ALL good); and Fruit Cocktail (fresh, not canned), Cinnamon Apple Belgium Waffles, followed by another wonderful breakfast cake. They also serve cheese and crackers and cookies in the late afternoon, which is perfect to enjoy sitting outside on their porch.

***Update:
    My husband have just returned from our 900th stay at the Albert Stevens Inn (okay, okay... Maybe not that many...). Seriously, we have been returning year after year since our first stay over 7 years ago and it is still wonderful. I decided that to update because earlier this summer, we finally stayed in a different room and I now I'm torn on my favorite.

We stayed in the Tower Room earlier this year and it has a lot of great qualities for people looking for a larger room/suite. The Tower is the only room on the third floor, so it is nice and private (be advised that the stairs up to the Tower can be difficult for someone who struggles with stairs - it's a hike and then the last flight is tricky). The bathroom in the Tower is awesome - it has a beautiful shower with two shower heads and an overall roomy bathroom. There are two recliners for relaxing after walking the town all day and there is a small twin bed in a semi-private adjacent room that could nicely accommodate a couple traveling with a child (check the age requirement for the Inn - I don't think they can accommodate small children). If you are all a tall person, this room may not be for you - the ceilings are low on the sides (think of an 'A') and at 5'3", I have hit my head on them several times (5'11" Husband did not, though, so maybe it's just me...). My only complaint about the Tower is the tiny TV - it's like we're being teased with the recliners and then the TV that is so tiny and far away... But overall a great room and still a fantastic place to stay.

Unique Quality: Bathrobes.
    Bikes for guests to use during their stay.
    Jim makes a mean Sangria in the summertime and serves with excellent cheeses from the Cape May cheese shop in West Cape May. Don't miss it - whatever you are doing at 4pm, stop and get back to the Inn!

Directions: West Cape May

• Well-run and well-located

Some nice extras (like wine!) included in room rate. People aren't walking past the property constantly, as on busier streets. Can't see what anyone wouldn't like about this inn, except if they're looking for old-fashioned decor throughout. The bathrooms and some furniture in bedrooms are not Victorian-style.

Unique Quality: Read about the Albert Stevens Inn toward the end of this story:
    www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=4364

Directions: About 5 blocks from beach. At Broadway Ave.

More about Albert Stevens Inn

Perfect place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Midatlantictraveler

My partner and I originally had scheduled three days at the Albert Stevens Inn, but had such a great time that we extended it for another two days. The Inn has everything that you need-- towels, bikes with locks, and easy to carry beach chairs. It's a five minute walk to the beach and a couple of minutes to the center of town. We really liked how quiet West Cape May is. The Inn is decorated in Victorian style and has a great shaded porch for sitting. I have food allergies and they were able to provide me alternatives. Jim knows all the restaurants in town and made several great suggestions. They also have menus for most of the restaurants in town and were able to make reservations for us. We'll definitely be coming back.

Friendliest Inn in Cape May

by TripAdvisor Member kbwanderer

We have stayed at several inns and hotels in Cape May for various events. This place was the best so far! Jim, the owner, is so solicitous and just an all around pleasant person. They were so comfortable with all the guests, that all the guests in turn felt comfortable with each other. He made dinner reservations for us, called taxis, etc. His wife is an amazing cook and the breakfasts were fabulous! I would recommend the Albert Stevens B&B anytime! Enjoy the home-y atmosphere and the beautiful rooms!

What a wonderful place to stay!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member usadupuy

I cannot say enough positive things about our stay at the Albert Stevens. Before we even got there, the innkeeper (Jim) was incredibly pleasant and friendly, very willing to accomodate us in every way. We were greeted so warmly, the room was perfect for us, the food excellent and the interest genuine. Jim could not have been more helpful, from suggesting places to eat, making reservations and calling for taxis. I heartily recommend this inn. Also, if you are going to Cape May for the Lima Bean festival, it's right across the street and very fun to watch. A new tea room, The Butterfly Tea Room, is just around the corner and definitely worth a visit. There are several restaurants, too, right on the block. Taxi service is quick and punctual and we had no problem walking to other venues such as Congress Hall. It was a wonderful stay.

An excellent B and B experience

by TripAdvisor Member happy15

My daughter and I were looking for a new experience in Cape May . We have stayed at many bread and breakfasts in the last 8 years. The Albert Stevens Inn is now one of our favorites. The hosts made us feel right at home. The way they interacted with the other guests was sincere. They made sure everyone could experience Cape May to the fullest degree. Many guests were repeat visitors. We plan to join that group. The rooms were clean and lovely; reasonable rates; parking! and great food.

Can't wait to go back!

Great B&B Experience!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ChestnutHallBB

My husband and I wanted a wonderful retreat from the hustle and bustle of our everyday routine and selected the Cape May area. What a wonderful time we experienced. We had been to that area a number of times and what made this visit stand out was the B&B and of course the innkeepers. We were warmly welcomed, the room was wonderful with all modern amentities and of course the food was great.

We are innkeepers as well and realize what it takes to create this type of atomosphere. The first clue that this was going to be a bit different was the fact that the innkeepers/owners were actually on-site vice some sort of corporate owned establishment. I think most people that can have that type of experience realize that pride of ownership and personal services offered can not be duplicated by a corporation.

All we can say is thank-you to Jim and Lenanne - owners of the Albert Stevens Inn - for making our stay memorable. Of course, the next trip to Cape May we know we will be staying at the Albert Stevens Inn.

p.s. - great location as well.

Great hospitality!

by TripAdvisor Member Kmess

Jim and Lenanne are fabulous innkeepers with an eye for detail and a caring spirit toward their guests. We had all the comforts of home without the work! Our room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was fabulous every day (kudos to Lenanne's cooking!) and the best mulled cider in town can be found every afternoon at the Albert Stevens Inn with freshly baked treats. The house is well kept and maintained. Jim and Lenanne take pride in their home and it shows in so many ways. We would highly recommend this Inn to everyone and we would definitely stay here again.

Another great stay in Cape May @ Albert Stevens Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Barb1953

In April 2003 we were booked on a 3 day bus trip to Cape May. They cancelled it due to not enough bookings. We decided to drive there ourselves anyway without a place to stay. As we entered Cape May the roads directed us to West Cape May where we saw the Albert Stevens Inn across the street and noticed they had vacancies. We entered and met Jim and Lenanne who were so gracious and showed us the complete Inn. It is on a quiet street with the Wilbraham Park directly in front. Parking there is free and the Inn also has more free parking.It was hard to decide which room to stay in, they all were so beautiful and each has a private bath, which is important to us. We never considered staying in a bed and breakfast before because we thought you always shared a bathroom with others. Well, to make a long story shorter - we have been going back every spring since and haven't even considered looking for a different place to stay!, so this year when we decided to visit at Christmas time we again booked with The Albert Stevens Inn! They are very knowledgable of all the activities going on and are always happy to help you, and if you are looking for a great place to dine you just have to have their imput. They never steer you wrong and will also place your reservations for you if you like. Jim and Lenanne have become friends we look forward to visiting every year!

The little extras of comfort and luxury

by TripAdvisor Member BeachTravelNyc

Jim, Lenanne and Sandra ensure you stay in a bed and breakfast with the comforts and luxury of a five star hotel. The room and bathroom are cleaned every day, the linen is changed every day. For that extra comfort, the room has a silent refrigerator, classy antique furniture and bath robes. Not to mention, Jim's insights into the restaurants and local tours are priceless.

Highly recommend to anyone visiting Cape May