5-7 Trenton Ave, Cape May, New Jersey, 08204, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

• IslandGirl10's Profile Photo

LOVE the Angel

We received a Bed and Breakfast.com gift certificate from our children a few years ago and just had the chance to use it this past weekend. I had wanted to visit the Angel of the Sea, but many of the reviews just plain scared me. My hubby said that we shouldn't worry just do go for it. Having never been to another B&B, I don't have much to compare it to, but I seriously don't know how the experience could get better than what we had this weekend!

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon about 3:00. We were showed to our room by one of the employees and told when tea time, wine and cheese and breakfast took place. Very friendly employees every day we were at the Angel. The room was beautiful! The hardwood floors were stunning, beautiful oriental style carpets, furniture fitting the period of time can all be found here. We booked an Angel Suite for the view of the ocean which was close enough to hear the waves crashing on the shore. Not sure if we would book this room again as we really didn't use the porch as much as we thought we would, but the view was certainly lovely!

Tea time was quite the event at the Angel. Homemade cakes and cookies along with tea and coffee are served at 4 in the dining room and guests can get acquainted with one another in the parlor or out on one of the Angel's porches while enjoying their treats. We didn't partake of the wine and cheese, but heard it was also very nice! The Angel had menus to many of the restaurants in Cape Cod and you can peruse them. They will also help you to make arrangements. I called the Angel before we went to ask about Aleathea's Restaurant because I was buying a Restaurant.com gift certificate and the young woman who answered was very helpful.

There is off street parking, beach chairs and bikes for complementary use by patrons. This was really nice as we rode around Cape May all day Monday. The beach chairs were not a lot of use as we didn't sit at the beach, but summer I'm sure the guests really appreciate the thought of not having to drag one more thing with them.

We were impressed with so many things for a first visit. Loved the bed was turned down, the room smelled very nice, really appreciated the ceiling fan above the bed as we are used to that at home. We found the decor of the home very appealing. It's nice that owners care enough to use period style furniture. I read a review that termed the parlor *cluttered* but we didn't find it that way at all. It was all very interesting. I'm a firm believer that those sorts of people should maybe book a weekend at their local ordinary hotel, because they would be SOOOO much happier!

Breakfast was HEAVENLY! There is fruit, cake, cereal and yogurt set up in a little alcove that you make take as much as you want. There was an egg bake offering each day and a *bread* offering (french toast or waffle) the two days we were there along with a piece of breakfast meat. I had the egg bake both days and HAD to buy their cookbook!

If you are looking for a jacuzzi or double shower with body jets, this probably isn't the place for you. We actually found the bathroom on the small side, but it was in the room and we didn't have to share it.

We loved it so much we intend to book again very soon!

Unique Quality: Views were wonderful from the ocean view rooms. Beach is right across the road, so very close. Very peaceful neighborhood. Free use of chairs, beach towels and bikes. Plentiful, homemade breakfast. Outstanding, helpful staff. Internet access.....helpful if you need to stay in touch with the outside world.

• Beautiful, but .......

While I haven't stayed at the Angel of the Sea, we decided to go on a public tour several years back. The owners were very uppity and snooty and, while there did not seem to be many rooms taken, they were reluctant to show us many of the rooms. The one thing that left me uneasy was that it was the first week in December and they had a huge live Christmas tree set up in the parlor, right alongside the stairs. I don't know how long the tree had been there, but I happened to brush against it and a shower of needles fell to the floor. The tree was extremely dry. I hope that they planned to replace it and not leave it up for the entire holiday season! Considering it's placement, I shudder to think what would happen if they had a tree fire. I don't think the fire marshall would have appreciated it.

Unique Quality: The building itself is very beautiful and beautifully restored. Lots of antique and antique-looking furniture and some upper floor rooms have private balconies.

Comments