Gingerbread House

28 Gurney Street, Cape May, New Jersey, 08204, United States

More about Gingerbread House

A nice get-away

It was a last minute idea that worked out better than expected! We decided to go away for an extended Labor day retreat. As luck would have it the gingerbread had a cancellation just before we called. So we packed ourselves up and drove down. It is a beautifully restored victorian home tastefully furnished to the last detail. We parked our car a block and a 1/2 away and never saw it again until it was time to leave! The beach is a 1/2 block away, The shops at the mall a 3-minute walk and we rented bicycles from across the street. Our rooms were kept clean daily and amenities provided for, even WiFi (which my husband appreciated). Even though we shared the bathroom with two other couples we didn't feel uncomfortable or put out. The bathroom was pristine and fully up-to-date. And there is a marvelous outdoor shower where you can wash off after a day at the beach.

Breakfast is delicious. A buffet is put out every morning and in addition there is a daily hot dish, such as a marvelous baked apple-french toast!! We relaxed every day on the porch with lemonade and special treats. Joan and Fred are wonderful hosts who take it upon themselves to make sure you have a good time and offer plenty of suggestions. We definitely are looking forward to going back.

Gingerbread House Thought of Everything!

From the detailed check-in procedure to the offer to use the outdoor shower even after we checked out, Joan and Fred seem to have thought of everything! The house, the beds, the bathrooms, and the service were all excellent. And you can't beat the location: 1/2 a block to the beach and 3 blocks from all the shops at the center of town.

We Would Stay Here Again!

Joan and Fred were so very nice, accommodating all our needs. Their B&B was just beautiful -- the house and furnishings were in excellent condition and very clean. The breakfast and afternoon tea were simple, but nice, with interesting homemade selections. The sleeping rooms offered air conditioning and flat panel TVs. The location was within walking distance of beach, shopping, restaurants, etc. We would definitely stay here again.

First Time Bed & Breakfast Stayers, Would Def go back!

by TripAdvisor Member Krizstyling

It was our first time staying at a bed & Breakfast and I must say...we would go back in a heartbeat! Not intrusive yet friendly, great location right next to the beach, and stores and everything you could ever need! The breakfast is yummy and the other guests alllllll verrrrrrry nice and eager to help you out if need be! Can't wait till next summer! Glad we found this place, it's perfect for young, old, middle age!!

Civil War shenanigans ....

Just returned from lovely stay at the Gingerbread House bed and breakfast !
My mother and I were down in Cape May for an annual Civil War reenactment and decided to stay at the Gingerbread House !! Well, we certainly couldn't have chosen a more delightful, hospitable, immaculate place to stay !!
Joan and Fred are lovely hosts and made our two evenings delightful.
We will definately return !!

Absolutely the best!

by TripAdvisor Member CathieMac27

We have returned to the Gingerbread House for our third year! This beautiful Victorian B & B has truly become our "home" while vacationing in Cape May! Fred and Joan are extraordinary innkeepers, they provide all the personal touches for a perfect stay. I highly recommend the Gingerbread House!

The Best in Cape May

We've stayed at the Gingerbread House for many years. We've toured most of the B&B's in Cape May but have found none prettier than this one. Joan and Fred are the most accomodating of hosts and know everything that's going on in town. Breakfast always brings tasty goodies and Joan's hot breakfast dishes hit the spot! Housekeeping is superb--everything is fresh and spotless. One of the best things about the Gingerbread House is the decor--Victorian, but light and bright. After all these years, this place is like home to us and we can't wait for our next visit, in November!

There's a little Victorian in all of us.

Cape May is easy to love. The ocean, the sea breeze and of course the sun. What made it especially lovely was a three story victorian bed and breakfast called the Gingerbread House.

Joan and Fred Echivarria have put a lot of love into this victorian lady. Fred had refinished the woodwork into beautiful doors and staircase, polished and rich. Our bedroom had a magnificant shower with a beautifully finished wood door.

Joan's breakfasts are a great way to start the day. From souffle to french toast, fruit and coffee cakes. We were not hungry.

I brought my elderly mother and aunt on this trip, and nothing was too much to ask. There was tea and lemonade along with tea cake in the afternoon, and if the stairs proved too much for the elders, Joan was very accomodating with the downstairs facilities and breakfast in our room on the lovely upstairs porch. For me the use of some beach towels and the fully furnished outdoor shower was perfect, as I was enjoying the ocean waves every chance I could.

In the late summer evenings, with the balmy sea air. I sat on the porch reading and thinking back to an earlier day. I was glad I could wear lighter clothing for it was still warm, but I think I captured a bit of the Victorian way just because I could sit, relax and enjoy the ambiance of this special inn.

Cozy, Warm and a place I like to be

When we arrived I was amazed with pleasant conditions all around the front garden and walk way.. My husband and I approached the warm and cozy porch which made us think of home. As we entered the house there was such a charm that made Don and I very comfortable and warm. Our room was so cozy and charming too the decor through out the house was magnificant..
Donald and I would go back in a heart beat. Cant wait to do this again and visit with Joan and Fred as they were the perfect host and hostess.
Wishing we were back at The GingerBread House.
Madeline and Donald

A Wonderful Place to Stay

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Gingerbread House. It is a beautifully restored victorian home tastefully furnished to the last detail. Fred and Joan are extraordinary innkeepers, they provided all the personal touches for a perfect stay. Joan's breakfasts are a great way to start the day. A buffet is put out every morning and in addition there is a daily hot dish. We relaxed every day on the porch with tea and lemonade and special treats. Joan and Fred are wonderful hosts who will take it upon themselves to make sure you have a good time. I highly recommend the Gingerbread House!

Comments