Grand Hotel of Cape May

The Grand Hotel
Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

• best vacation ever!

Just picked out the hotel from the internet, and was a little scared when I read the reviews, but could not have been happier when we arrived. The hotel and room were clean and smelled wonderful. The inside and outside pools were where we spent most of the day, we didn't want to leave. Sat out on the deck at night and watched the sun go down and waves come in. then it was a little Hot Tub and off to a clean and comphy bed. It was the best vacation ever, and I will go back again and again.

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

A full service large hotel

We've stayed at the Grand Hotel twice and will continue to each time we visit Cape May. I've found the staff to be cooperative (and noticed thate I recognized most of them even a year later, a sure sign of content employees). It is the largest hotel on the Cape, but I never felt crowded. I would highly recomend this accomodation. It has a heated outdoor pool (perhaps the nicest in Cape May), a heated indoor pool and whirlpool (great for unexpected rainy days, trust me.), a fitness room, a game room (also great for rainy days). We requested the same room and even though they couldn't guarentee we would get it on the bust July 4th weekend, we did recieve the same room.
    It is a little off the main drag of Beach Ave., but it's nice when you spend a day at the beach because the crowds are not as oppressive.

Unique Quality: Newly added in 2006 is the wireless internet. We did bring our computer, but the signal wasn't strong enough in our room.
    There is a restaurant/bar/nightclub, Ballyhoo's attached to the hotel. A bit hokey, as the bar is a giant replica of a ship, but the food and drinks are great and you can't beat the conveniance. Also, the same bartenders were present as previous years an aforementioned sign of a good establishment. They will also deliver food and drinks to the outdoor pool on at least the weekend.

More about Grand Hotel of Cape May

Old but being renovated

Ok, it needs a little tender love and care, but the staff was delightful. The maids came in and did everything we asked of them. The room was clean when we got there. We spilled stuff on the floor at 9pm and a night maid came right up and vaccummed for us. The front desk was very freindly and helpful. They were renovating the lobby when we were there. The indoor pool was just done in Jan when we were there. it's going to be even more beautiful when all is done. We will come back again and again.

The Grand Hotel - Cape May not so grand!

I am writing regarding The Grand Hotel in Cape May. Usually my husband and I stay at a bed and breakfast or one of the small hotels. We have had wonderful experiences at hotel's like The Virginia on Jackson.Traveling with a baby now we required an efficiency - for heating bottles, storing bottles and food, etc... We made a non- refundable reservation and The Grand Hotel for 2 nights. First let me say, that they are very accomodating! There were just too many things that needed fixing.The hotel is made up of two buildings - I am pretty sure that the one we were in were all efficiencies. We arrived late on a weeknight and checked in. As soon as I walked in our room - I noticed a smell. I should have called the front desk right at that moment - but I thought I could deal with it. Plus my husband already unloaded all our stuff - which with a baby is alot. I did not sleep all night. The wall in the bathroom is black with mildew and there was another foul smell in the kitchenette that made me open and close cabinets all night looking for whatever it was that died in there! The next morning we told them and they gave us 5 room keys - so we could check out other rooms and find one we liked. Which was very nice! We were lukcy because it was during the week and they had other rooms available.The hotel is very old and run down. The indoor pool is undergoing major construction with scaffolding and falling ceiling tiles. It does not look like the brochure and it was not cheap. Wall paper is coming off the walls - there is a mildew problem in the kitchen and bath areas. The pillows are old and floppy. The shower is horrible - I could not wait to get home and shower.I did not sleep for both nights we were there. The second room was better than the first, but there were still issues

The no so Grand Hotel

We stayed at the Grand Hotel last August 2003 for a long weekend. It was too long if you ask me. The indoor pool especially was in horrible disrepair. There was a horibble musty mildew smell that you could not escape. It was in the lobby, in the indoor pool area and worst of all in our room. The cleanliness of the room was not great. The bathroom had complimentary bars of soap adequate to bath a mouse which may have very well been residening on the premises! I would not recommend this hotel and would highly recommend upgrades be made. Maybe then could they use the word Grand proudly.

Pass by the Grand

by TripAdvisor Member Ms_Dragon

We should have listened to the opinions of trip advisor users. We just didn't imagine it could be that bad. Fortunately, we asked to see our room before we gave them our credit card (although we forfeited the $200 deposit). The room was smelly; the "new" bed was rock hard and thin. The pool was in the middle of the parking lot. The elevator was filthy....I could go on and on....the manager was extremely RUDE. We were very upset having arrived in Cape May after hours of driving with no place to stay. There was no way I could allow my family to spend a night there much less an entire week. Thank goodness we found other accommodations after a couple of hours. My advice is to avoid the Grand, if you choose to stay there....check your room before you give them your credit card.

DON'T STAY HERE! PLEASE! DON'T STAY HERE!

by TripAdvisor Member From_There_to_Here

I am always wary of bad reviews on message boards. You figure some people are picky and/or have an axe to grind. This is not the case here. Please, if I accomplish one thing in my life I want to prevent people from staying at The Grand.

First of all, the classification is wrong, it is a MOTEL - not a HOTEL, albeit a big multi-floor motel. Secondly, the place is HORRIBLE. It smells! Things are crumbling. It's just a dirty disgusting awful horrible place. And don't even get me started on the staff. The best ones were indifferent, the worst were angry and rude. When I complained to the manager about our horrible room and eventually told her I would not be staying there - she got ANGRY at me! She was upset she'd be losing a night's revenue! Never mind that she got to keep my outrageous deposit. PLEASE!

And, really, listen to all the postings about the smell and mildew. It's all true. I'll put it this way - when we walked into the room the very first thing my 16 year old daughter said was "This place smells like a**!"

We wound up staying at the Periwinkle and had a lovely time there. There are many other places to stay in Cape May - do NOT stay at The Grand!!!!!!!!!

Agree it was terrible

I agree with the reviewer from Ellsworth, Maine. I've been going to Cape May for 30 years and stayed at the Grand 20 years ago when it was fine. But in the last several years, it has apparently changed owners and gone way down hill. Afew years ago I was forced to stay there for a night because itw as the only place available until we could get into our condo, and our room was behind an air conditioner that was so incredibly loud it sounded as if we were sleeping next to a jet engi ne. When we complained, they moved us to room with no air conditioning and windows that would not open - and this in the middle of a an August heat wave in which the temperature at midnight was approaching 100!

The place is beyond belief and not at all like others in Cape May.

Had a Grand Time!

My family and I stayed at the Grand for the 3rd year in a row this past June. We have always enjoyed our time at the Grand but this year was better then ever. The staff was wonderful and accomodating. They have started the renovations of the property and from what we could see everything is going to be lovely when completed. My husband makes me eat in their restaurant every morning for breakfast because he loves to stuff himself on their buffet. My kids love the fact they have 2 pools or the beach to choose from. We can't say enough about this hotel other then we will be returning next year for our 4th summer.

Comments