John Wesley Inn

30 Gurney Street, Cape May, New Jersey, 08204, United States

• Lovely, charming, homey

The John Wesley Inn & Carriage House is restored with an amazing level of care you can sense in its photos but which living & experiencing is just thrilling & humbling. It's furnished with beautiful antiques throughout, all historic, all carefully and intelligently chosen, yet has all modern amenities (think, a Sheraton). The entire Inn is spotless. The location is stellar, 2 blocks from many Beach Ave restaurants & the Washington Mall both. Turning left out of the Inn goes to a lovely plaza and turning right is the beach. Couldn't be better. The off-street parking is a big bonus. Bonnie serves a very tasty & homemade gourmet breakfast daily with personal touches that are missing from modern American life. I love the Inn's warmth, emotionally & materially. A sunroom in the uppermost floor is a very relaxing and open area in which to relax, daydream, read & slowly enjoy life's finer points. Host Bonnie & husband Lance make you feel like family, their warm loving and pleasant demeanor are emblematic of the town's lovely vibe. They take care of your every need. My only regret is that we had to leave. What a marvelous and relaxing weekend. Can't wait to come back.

Unique Quality: Room #1 "The Stockton" - 2nd floor, biggest & best, front porch
    Room #2 "The Windsor" - 2nd floor, middle
    Room #3 "The Marquis de Lafayette" - 2nd floor, private, rear
    Room #5 "The new Mt. Vernon" - 3rd floor version of #1 minus porch
    Room #6 "The Columbia" - spacious, 3rd floor rear left before sunroom, skylight
    Room #7 "The John Wesley" - similar to #6 but towards front
    Carriage House - Super-quiet, in the far rear in its own dedicated unit with dedicated parking

More about John Wesley Inn

Beautiful carriage house in Cape May New Jersey

During the first week of August we stayed at the carriage house at the John Wesley Inn in Cape May New Jersey. The carriage house is decorated beautifully with tasteful antiques that blend in with the Victorian decor of the Inn and Cape May itself. The upstairs bedroom is very spacious and beautiful and has a balcony where you can sit and enjoy a beautiful sunset. The bedroom upstairs was so nicely decorated that I did not want to leave it. We enjoyed staying in the carriage house because it has its own kitchen and we could make our own meals and come and go as we pleased. This was nice since we have a small child and did not have to worry about disturbing other guests at the inn. The carriage house also has a lovely front porch that is shaded. It is very nice to sit out on the porch in the morning with a cup of coffee and just read the paper. We also enjoyed the convenient location of the inn. The inn is one block from the beach and two blocks from the major shopping area and most of the restaurants. This made it easy to walk to everything and not have to worry about parking. An additional advantage to the inn was that it has parking for the guests which most other inns in Cape May do not have. We also enjoyed the meeting the innkeepers. Lance and Bonnie are very friendly and warm people who do their best to make you feel very comfortable at their inn. All in all we had a wonderful vacation and can't say enough nice things about the carriage house at the John Wesley Inn.

Great stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Curtis56

Our family of four stayed in the carriage house during the last week of July and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The accommodations were perfect for our active crew; we have two boys, ages eight and thirteen. We were able to experience Victorian Cape May and yet we had privacy. With our crew it was nice to stay at a place that was so beautiful and not worry about interrupting the activities and guests at the Inn. The elegant master bedroom was private getaway for us parents, while the boys really enjoyed the trundle bed downstairs. The kitchen and outdoor shower were also very convenient. We were impressed by the cleanliness of all the accommodations. The beach, boardwalk, arcades, movie theatre are only a half a block away, and yet our accommodations were quiet and peaceful. At the end of the day it was nice to sit on our peaceful porch and watch the horse and carriages trot by. Great restaurants are close by and the best Pizzeria in town is across the street. Also, a bike rental shop is across the street and the shopping district is within walking distance. Parking was great and it was wonderful not to have to drive anywhere for most of our stay. What really made our stay special was how welcome Bonnie and Lance made us feel, how accommodating they were and how well they took care of us. We are planning on going back!

The Sweetest Place!

My fiance and I are Cape May veterans, having stayed at many of the B&B's, including the John Wesley, which had been our favorite before this trip in any event. On Labor Day weekend, however, we discovered that the John Wesley had new owners, Lance and Bonnie, who have gone out of their way to make sure that everyone feels welcome. There are some new touches like towels and iced coolers for the beach, but the greatest improvement was the food... the breakfast was hot, gourmet style, and plenty of it! The romance of the John Wesley was as great as ever, with several couples obviously feeling the romantic mood... We will be going back time and time again! Bob & Tina

Excellent Bed and Breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member Kuty

This past weekend, my wife and I stayed in the Stockton Room at the Inn. It was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The balcony was an extra special treat. Following a delicious breakfast, we went for a long walk. Following the walk, it was so nice to sit on the balcony, with our legs up, feel the breeze and watch the world go by. Bonnie and Lance are very caring and friendly hosts. Having parking is an extra bonus. You can't go wrong staying at the John Wesley Inn.

Charming, friendly Beautifully restored bed and breakfast

We have stayed at many of the B & B's in Cape May and find this one to be far superior. It is now under new management and is even better. The new owners, Bonnie and Lance Pontin are delightful. Highly recommended

Great Expectations!!!

We recently returned from a fabulous 5 Night stay at the John Wesley Inn. It was everything we hoped a stay in a romantic victorian bed & breakfast would be. The innkeepers Bonnie & Lance couldn't do or provide enough for us throughout our stay. The room we stayed in was the " Marquis De Lafayette. It was very comfortable and so romantic. The bed was unbelievably comfortable! Our room had all the mordern conveniences you could want including a flat screen tv. The breakfasts in the dinning room each morning were culinary creativity at heart, no average scrambled eggs here!, unless that was what you wanted, all you had to do was mention that you didn't care for something and Bonnie would bend over backwards to accomodate your needs. The John Wesley Inn is a short walk to almost anything you might want,the beach, several of the best dinning experience restaurants in Cape May, as well as nightlife clubs or shopping. They have their own parking, which is so important in Cape May! We had a fabulous stay and will definitely be back

A Great Discovery

When we travel we look for great accomodations, food and hospitality. The John Wesley Inn has it all. Cape May is beautiful but this Inn stands out above the others. The superb antiques and craftmanship are only surpassed by the wonderful breakfast served in the morning. You can tell that Bonnie and Lance are truly happy to have your company at their 'home'. If you are looking for a wonderful stay at a beautiful place then this is where you'd want to be.

A wonderful place to stay

My wife and I recently stayed at the inn to celebrate our 10th anniversary. The inn was beautiful, the rooms were very nice and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was great and the location was ideal. Bonnie and Lance did everything possible to make us feel welcome and to ensure we enjoyed our stay. We have already recommended it to a neighbor and wish we could return soon.

In the Heart of Cape May

My wife and I also celebrated our 10th anniversary and found the John Wesley to be well maintained and convenient. The location is perfect for dining and shopping and really no reason to ever get in your car. I would recommend to friends and family.

Exceeded All Expectations!!!

by TripAdvisor Member SteveNJ000

My wife and I went to the JWI for an anniversary weekend and it exceeded all of our expectations. I am a pretty harsh critic as I usually opt for upscale accomodations. I was a bit hesitant as I had never stayed at a B&B...but rest assured this was a great experience. The home is exceptional- well maintained, clean, and "warm" ....upscale, yet "homey" feel. Bonnie and Lance were great hosts....spent enough time with you to make you feel that the hosts cared, but were never in your face. Breakfast was great...only recomend. is to have coffee and tea available throughout the day (would have loved to have coffee at my disposal)...however important to note, I truly felt that if I really wanted a cup of coffee, Bonnie would have been glad to provide one...as a great host would. Bottom line, I would highly reccomend the JWI....I walked around a bit to view others and this truly takes the prize. We stayed in the Stockton room (largest room with private balcony). I would highly reccomend spending the extra $$ for this room...it truly made our weekend....morning coffee/tea with a book on your own balcony...can't be beat.

Comments