The Southern Mansion

See Amenities

Charming!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 14, 2010

We have just returned from our trip this past week-end. It was our first time staying at the Southern Mansion and I was pleasantly surprised. It is one of the most charming places I have ever stayed at, really unique by its interiors and cozy atmosphere, especially for this time of the year (December). The fireplaces in the living room are such a nice feature for the cold season! The house was absolutely beautiful, and you almost felt like in a museum! Our room was immaculate, and very spacious: 12 foot ceilings and amazing crown moldings. I have travelled a lot in Europe and I am always impressed by places that have a history and so many architectural details. One of the front desk employees was nice enough to show us some other rooms during our stay and they were all different! The complimentary morning breakfast was delicious, with a lot of items to choose from.
The location was great for this time of the year, two blocks from the Washington Mall. However in the summer, there are six blocks to the beach and there is no pool on premisses.
We enjoyed our stay very much and we will be back!

Unique Quality: Charming interiors, amazing architecture, genuine Victorian furnishings, free parking, delicious breakfast

This Place Likely Won't Be In Business Much Longer

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 26, 2009

We Couldn't Stay - That's the whole point!

Inn accepted reservations for two rooms for Nov 25th and 26th.
Inn sent a "100% Confirmed Reservation" E-mail, and charged my credit card $340.00 for the first night of the two rooms.

Based upon these assurances, airline reservations were made for my parents. As usual with airline reservations, significant penalties are imposed for any changes made after the flights are booked.

Two days later, the Inn calls to inform me that my reservation was canceled, as the Inn would not be open that week. The manager attempted to blame her employees for making an error, but this was clearly a lie. The Inn clearly made a business decision to close, based upon a lack of bookings, and made the decision after confirming my reservation, and after billing my credit card.

I asked for the same room rates to be used for the same rooms on the following weekend, but the manager refused to honor the reservation when the Inn would be open.

Given that the Inn has cost me $500 in airline ticket-change fees, I demand the same penalty from the Inn that they would have extracted from me - the forfeit of the first night's fees for both rooms, or $340.00.

They have clearly breached a very basic contract. In general, when a hotel turns away a guest with a reservation guaranteed by a credit card, it's obliged to find alternate accommodation at a nearby hotel - AND PAY FOR the first night there. This is called "walking." If the replacement room is more expensive, the hotel should cover the cost difference for all the nights of the reservation.

This Inn could not even be bothered to suggest alternate accommodations, so they simply cannot be trusted to handle the arrangements for Thanksgiving with my parents. Therefore, liquidated damages equal to the cost of the first night's stay is an equitable arrangement.

The owners of this place are Barbara Wilde & Mary Bray, and they clearly do not understand that business decisions have consequences for them, just as they would impose "cancellation penalties" on their no-show guests.

VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Luxury Lodging

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 8, 2005

UPDATE:July 2009 We spent a wonderful weekend at this Cape May B&B. Although the Southern Mansion is more expensive than some, we indulged ourselves since it was only for two nights. This romantic B&B is often chosen as a honeymoon destination. I've added additional pictures from our recent visit....

pic#2 our guest room
pic #3 the sitting room/parlor
pic #4 breakfast area

The Southern Mansion is one of the most elegant B&B's in Cape May. Tours are offered a certain times on the weekends. This B&B was featured on television and is quite posh. A full breakfast is served each morning and you can select just what you want from neat, linen covered tables: sweet rolls, muffins, fruits and juices. The main entree changes each day, where coffee and tea are served.

The mansion is situated on 1 l/2 acres and is only a five minute walk to the beach or shopping area. This lovely B&B is a special place and worth your consideration. Stroll the landscaped gardens or visit the pretty parlor.

Famed architect, Samuel Sloan, designed this antebellum Victorian home for George Allen, a Philadelphia Industrialist in 1863.

Unique Quality: Beauty at its Best!

Directions: The Garden State Parkway turns into Lafayette Street. Go to 1st traffic light, turn left onto Madison St. Go 1 block to the 1st traffic light, turn right onto Washington St.--3 blocks up on the left.

meirs's Profile Photo

Southern Mansion

by written on August 25, 2002

Unique Quality: This Bed and Breakfast is supposed to be the nicest in Cape May. It is one of the most expensive also. It has many rooms and very nice grounds. If you don't stay here you can still take a tour of the mansion for a small fee. We didn't stay here or take the tour, so I guess I don't have much else to say about it.

Nearby The Southern Mansion

• Room Service
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

Cape May Travel Forum

Need advice about Cape May, New Jersey? Visit the Travel Forum for Cape May and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cape May hotel reviews