Sheraton Meadowlands Hotel and Conference Center

2 Meadowlands Plaza, Sheraton Plaza Drive, East Rutherford, New Jersey, 07073, United States
Hilton Meadowlands
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Sheraton Meadowlands Hotel and Conference Center

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member CMFD

My family stayed one night at this hotel for a weekend NYC trip. Initially I had little concern about this hotel after reading some reviews. But it's hard to find a hotel in NYC with reasonable price. So I decided to take a chance.

We are very happy about our choice. This hotel has easy access to highway leading to Lincoln tunnel in minutes and more importantly it's quiet at night. The room we stayed at 9th floor is said renovated lately. It's clean, bright and pleasant. I don't find the problem of low water pressure as mentioned in some reviews.

For my experience of just one night stay, I find nothing to complain. We are very satisfied. This hotel is beyond our expectation after reading a lot of reviews.

Outstanding, Except The Food

by TripAdvisor Member DeepCanyonRat

We spent 5 days at this hotel.

The room was the largest I've ever stayed in, and I've stayed in plenty. The view of the Meadowlands was nice. The consierge, Marcos, was outstanding. If everything else had been bad, Marcos would have made it all worth it.

The food at the hotel is all fairly mediocre. We ate alot at the conference buffets, and while they were all laid out very nicely, the grub was just that -- grub.

TIP: Go to Mount Fuji on 17N for sushi. Tip Jackie (a man) nice, okay? He was alot of fun to talk to.

Don't rent a car -- take a cab. We left the hotel to go to the Best Buy -- 4 minutes away, according to mapquest --, took a wrong turn, and couldn't turn off the Turnpike until we got to Newark. 3 hours later ... just, trust me: take a cab. The roads are insane.

There are no store/resturants/anything else anywhere near (walking distance) from the hotel.

If you can't get a room with a NY City skyline view, ask the deskclerk to let you go up to The Clubhouse one night. The view is breathtaking -- but all the views from the NY side must be breathtaking.

Great place for a conference, if it has to be in Jersey.

Great all around

by TripAdvisor Member ironcross31

Stayed here for a football game. The hotel is great for getting to the game but there is NOTHING else around it. Food at the bar/restaurant was good but expensive. Thankfully, the hotel gave us menus of take-out places that deliver and that was fine for us.

The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The bed (big, clean and cozy) was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. Ever. The room was spotless. It was a great deal for going to a game. Being in the city four miles away would have cost us at least $100 more per night. Depending on why you're staying there and what you want to do for the night, we thought it was a great deal.

Great Hotel, Great Room, Great Location!

by TripAdvisor Member Canynn

I first preface this review by explaining my background. I have been a manager or Head concierge at some of the US finest resorts so when it comes to a hotel stay I tend to be very critical. I usually try to stay at B&B's but since my Fiancee and I had tickets to the Raiders/jets Foorball game at the Meadowlands for New Years Eve we decided to stay right there.
The Sheraton has had a complete overhaul and they have done a great job. The lobby is impressive with lots of ample seating, the yahoo! link computer area is great and of course I do love my Starbucks coffee and to have a fully operational Starbucks Cafe in the hotel just made my day.
We had a room on the 9th floor and it faced the NYC skyline. It was impressive and it was hard for us to leave the room to go get dinner.
Ok, the only downside was the restuarant, but I do say that for a hotel diningroom the food really wasn't bad, just a tad overpriced and understaffed. The breakfast buffet however did have a wide selection and even the scrambled eggs (which I normally do not eat) were good. The buffet filled us up so that we could enjoy the game without having to spend $10 at the stadium for a hotdog!
If I had stayed longer I wuld have put their concierge and other hotel services to the test but for the money the Sheraton was a great stay and when we head there again for another game we will stay there again (as long as we can get the same room).

Thieves!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member travelers31

This place was okay if you like having all your luggage gone through and your valubles stolen!!! We stay there over night for a trip to NYC. Once we returned from NYC our room was cleaned and some of our belongings missing. We made a police report and wait ed three weeks for the hotels insurance company to tell us they could not do anything. I am still sick to my stomach about it. We have lost all trust in this hotel company. To make matters worst when we went to check in they told us our room wasn't ready yet, we had drove all night for over ten hours, they told us we could sleep in the waiting room. They never oftered us blankets or pillows and we asked if we could go to the pool to swim after waiting 5 hours for our room, it took them another half and hour to give us a key to the pool only to find the pool was being cleaned. I would highly recommond not staying here this company could care less about you personally and only want you money.

Excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member IKOttawa

Prior to arriving we had read some very lukewarm and indeed negative reviews. Our stay in January was very positive. The front desk staff were very friendly. They did not have maps of all of New Jersey but were great for the local area. We had an issue with the room temperature being too hot during an unseasonably warm winter week. They fixed it within an hour of our arrival and were very gracious.

The room itself was at least 4 star in our view. Very clean, very modern looking,very large. Service was great.
The hotel is hard to find off the highway and we had to do 2 turns and further directions before finding it. The trick is to look for the Sheraton sign on the highway and turn in for the Race track parking exit but then continue around until the hotel is visble. I believe the off road is called Sheraton Plaza Blvd and not Meadowlands Plaza which Mapquest told us to look for.

The hotel shuttle was terrifiv, again contrary to the reviews we had read. They were very courteous, helpful and on time. We did tip the driver each time but that was not the issue. We stayed at the Sheraton in order to visit New York City. For $2.30 you get from the shuttle drop off to Port Authority downtown in about 20 minutes in the morning and about 12-15 minutes at night. On one occasion only we had to take a $12.cab from the bus stop to the hotel because we arrived after 11 p.m. If you are seeing a long Broadway show which ends after 10 you will miss the 10:15 bus from Port authority and thus the last shuttle pick up of 10:40.
The cabs are sitting at the bus stop so no need to order.

The hotel has a nice Starbucks where we picked up morning snavks-yogurt,coffee, etc.Finally, the hotel offers 24 hour internet access for free at the Yahoo business center. extremely convenient.
No question we loved our stay and would certainly choose this hotel again next time if available.

IK, Ottawa, Canada

Who Would Want to Stay Here?

by TripAdvisor Member jwilli7150

I booked our reservatons through the Sheraton website for Fri, Mar 16 and Sat, Mar 17. We paid in advance and understood the hotel's "No cancellation policy." Sheraton is not our hotel of choice but we had had great experiences in Atlantic City and at a few other Sheraton locations. My husband had business with clients in Northern NJ and this hotel happened to fall midway between the clients locatons. So it was ideal. The weather in DC as well as in the NY vicinity was the pits on Friday. Due to the inclimate weather, we postponed our venture until Saturday arriving at the hotel around 3:00 PM. We checked in and were provided with keys to our room. Upon entering the room we saw that it had not been cleaned. A housekeeper inquired as to whether we wanted our sheets changed and new towels. I explained to her that we had just checked in and that the room had not been cleaned up after the previous customer. She ensured me that it would be taken care of.

Not being able to stay in the dirty room I headed back for the hotel lobby to wait for the room to be cleaned. My husband decided that I should accompany him to his meetings and then by the time we returned the room should be ready.

We returned around 8PM with the intentions of getting a quick bite (we bought some deli stuff), a nap, and then going to do Manhattan. Imagine our surprise when we walked into our room and it looked the same as it had when we checked in. I called the front desk to no avail . After pressing several numbers on the room phone I spoke to a person who transferred me to the front desk. No one answered, so she informed me that she would have the desk to call me. By now it is after 9PM.

My husband decided to go down and find someone to move us because by now he was fed up. He did and came back with keys.

However, he had a difficult time with a young man who kept insisting that if we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign up then the housekeeper would not enter. He was not listening to the fact that we only arrived on Saturday afternoon. The young woman though handled my husband's request and we were given the keys to a very nice room with a much better view of the the NY Skyline, whiich had been our initial request.

Later the young woman called and gave my husband and I breakfast buffet for Sunday morning on the Sheraton due to our bad experience. While this is all very nice and much appreciated it does not remove the bad taste from my mouth or make up for that horrible experience.

We travel a lot and never have we experienced anything like we came upon at the Sheraton. We have arrived at hotels where our rooms were not ready and we waited for them to be cleaned but never had we been given keys to a room that was not prepared. Additng insult to the injury was housekeeping staff telling us that it would be taken care of and then not folllowing through. And then to grind it even further into the wound, the idiot at the front desk not listening but only to what he wanted to hear and then applying a stereotypical response to a valid question.

We gave up on doing Manhatttan, nibbled our food (which was cold by the time we got to eat it), ordered a movie and vowed never to stay at this hotel again. I did read the reviews and there were plenty who had not so good experiences, but I gave this hotel the benefit of the doubt. My lesson learned-- I will think twice before I give another hotel that benefit and before booking a room at a Sheratorn.

Decent Room..but Poor Service

by TripAdvisor Member mavericksmythe

First off let me state that the hotel itself is nice and quite a good hotel for the area, what seperates from being a GREAT hotel is the level of service. We stayed at the hotel from March 31st to April 3rd and I have never had such lousy service (and I am in a hotel at least once a month somewhere). My wife and I went to attend a seminar and there were a lot of participants who were staying at the hotel.

The hotel was adamant not to provide shuttle service to the convention centre instead they preferred to drop off guests at a mall which was a little less then a 10 minute walk but only an extra two minute drive. Second, they did not do it frequently. My wife and I cabbed for the most part which cost us $20 each way, but we heard other complaining they were waiting for an hour and a half at night to be picked up.

Finally on our last day we spent the day in Manhattan and we arrived at Secaucas Plaza where the shuttle dropped us off. We knew there was no shuttle service to be scheduled until 6:15pm and we arrived at 4:30pm. We called the hotel and they said to wait until 6:15pm, we asked for them to call us a cab and the lady at the desk hung up.

My advice..stay somewhere else.

Great Sheraton Style

by TripAdvisor Member tezct

I greatly enjoyed my stay at this Sheraton--the front desk was very friendly and my room was perfect! But even better was the easy commute to and from New York City. Also, the Starbucks they have in the lobby is awesome--great for getting work done, tons of open space. As a frequent traveler, this Sheraton was just perfect! Thank you!

good deal

by TripAdvisor Member montrealer2

Greetings,

Family of four enjoyed a week-end gateway from Montreal canada to NYC in May.

Pros :

Easy to drive to, we had no problems at all to get to the hotel by car. Free self-parking on premisses.

Very good price. We got a pretty good deal with Expedia even if we booked just a couple of days in advance.

Rooms are good quality, good bed, very comfortable, rooms are decent size, well insulated, minimal noise.

Pool & exercise area are very convenient. Open from 5h00 Am till midnight. We went there every evening after long days of walking & visits to Manhattan. Very low crowds at the pool in the evening (surprisingly).

Hotel restaurant, is very OK. Breakfast buffet perfect for 13 $$. Reasonable prices, no rip-offs.

Cons :

Hotel Shuttle Bus. It goes once per hour to the seacaucus plaza where you can take the NJ transit bus #190 to manhattan. The problem with the shuttle bus is the frequency and schedule. It`s OK to use it when you leave the hotel in the morning to the seacaucus plaza (5 minutes drive..), but don`t count on it on your way back in the evening. Instead, assume that you will have to spend 13-14 $$ for a taxi to get you back to the hotel. The NJ transit bus #190 takes you to manhattan in 15 minutes (to NJ port authority, 41 street and 8th avenue, two blocks from times square, times square subway connected to the NJ port authority). As long as you know that, you are in business.

Enjoy
Montrealer2

Enzo and I Bus Stop to NYEnzo and I Bus Stop to NY

Kick me while I'm down, why don'cha!Kick me while I'm down, why don'cha!

URGENT: Need help choosing hotel

by 1stX2NY

I would like to book a hotel in New Jersey for Easter weekend. I'm thinking of either the Amerisuites Secaucus (575 Park Avenue) or the Sheraton Meadowlands (2 Meadowlands Plaza). Does anyone know anything about the location (is the neighbourhood relatively safe), and/or accomodations of these hotels. Please any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks

RE: URGENT: Need help choosing hotel

by zuriga

I might be wrong, but I don't think there is a 'neighborhood' where these hotels are. They seem to just sit near the Meadowlands.. off the New Jersey Turnpike. Maybe someone with more experience with that area will know more than I do. If you want to stay in NJ, you might be better off in a town with easy access to NYC (if that's the reason for your weekend).. Hoboken, Fort Lee etc.

RE: RE: URGENT: Need help choosing hotel

by Easty

The Secaucus area may be better for transportation. There are bus routes ran by NJ Transit which connect Secaucus with Midtown Manhattan. Secaucus is relatively safe. It is more commercial than city like. Being that it is close to urban areas, you always have to use some common sense.

RE: RE: URGENT: Need help choosing hotel

by Easty

Oops!!! Sorry about the double reply.

RE: RE: RE: URGENT: Need help choosing hotel