Four Points By Sheraton Newark Airport

Costs 22% more and rated 12% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Four Points By Sheraton Newark Airport

A dump with bad service

by TripAdvisor Member RiverDays

Sure wish I'd read TripAdvisor before booking my room here! Got here late and had to wait 40 minutes for the hotel shuttle, a woman alone at midnight for the first time in Newark. Finally got checked into a room only to find the TV and bedside light both broken. Had to change rooms, not an easy thing since the hallways were filled with carpet rolls and it was difficult to get through with luggage. Double-checked to make sure my new room had the appropriate wake-up call, since I had only a 6 hour layover and an early morning flight. Woke up all on my own, with the wake-up call never happening. This is breaking the cardinal rule of airport hotels!!! The front desk person had the gall to blame the computer--now that is lame. She promised that she would hold the shuttle bus for me, but I managed to make it to the lobby on time for the scheduled 6:30 am departure. But alas, the shuttle was running 20 minutes late anyway.

Two good things about this hotel: the frontdesk person had the good sense to comp my room based on the missed wake-up call, and the bed was really comfortable. Maybe when the remodel is complete, and maybe if hotel management reads enough of these reviews and instills some customer service training, things will be better.

Oh, the hotel windows are old, so the rooms are noisy, even though the interior of the sleeping rooms are nicely redone.

avoid at all costs

by TripAdvisor Member WaverlySharon

My partner and I stayed here as part of a park-n-fly deal before flying out to the Caribbean. We could not believe that this hotel was able to fly under the Four Points Sheraton brand. The rooms were dirty; the service horrible. We almost missed our flights because their airport shuttle was not running, despite the fact that they promised a 24 hour shuttle and confirmed that at check-in. They also failed to call us a cab; we finally climbed in with other guests who were also stuck--they complained just as we did about the hotel. We also had to take a cab from the airport back to the hotel parking lot upon our return trip.

Some negatives but clean rooms

by TripAdvisor Member pawarful

My and wife stayed at this hotel for one night. I was a little apprehensive about making a reservation at this hotel after reading the negative reviews for this hotel. However I took the courage to go ahead and make the reservation considering our budget and the location.

I should say the hotel is ok and could improve. I should say that the best part of the hotel is its close proximity ot the airport.

The hotel is currently undergoing extensive renovations as can be seen as soon as you enter the lobby. We checked in and we were lucky enough to get a newly renovated (at least it looked new) on the 5th floor. It was a non-smoking room, however as soon as we entered the room, the room smelt as though someone had been smoking in the room. Mind you that the room was on a non-smoking floor. We immediately called the reception desk asking for a room change. After waiting for about 15mins, the receptionist came up and gave us the keys to a room on the 11th floor.

Since we did not want to venture out, we decided to stay in and order room service. Big mistake. The food was just not edible. The wraps we ordered had absolutely no taste and the lettuce looked really old. The desserts looked appetizing on the menu but after ordering it, we felt it was a total waste of our money.

Therefore, if you are looking to stay here for one night and not get room service, I think this hotel can't beat the location.

Great view, that's about it

by TripAdvisor Member gordon fan

My family and I stayed at this hotel last weekend for a soccer tournament my nephew was playing in the next town over and definitely not a place for children. The restaurant service was very slow and the breakfast buffet for what you paid was less to be desired. The indoor pool was dirty and the temperature was cold along with the room itself. I do understand however they are going thru renovations but I was very disappointed and surprised that this was a Sheraton.

Non professional service

I think, the service in this hotel lacks professionalism at all levels - the receptionist, the room service, the room cleaners and even the parking attendant. Who knocks on your room when you leave a "do not disturb" sign posted outside? They say you can call and request for toothpaste, but that never ever shows up?

average hotel

i stayed here from 30 march 2006 for 4 nights as we were visiting relatives in new york and wanted a cheap base. the hotel was not as bad as some of the reviews make out. our room on the 8th floor was perfectly presentable and cleaned every day. when we asked for more towels as we were a party of 5 they were brought straight away. one point i would make is that if you are a family and you make a booking through a tour operator rather than direct with the hotel you need to phone the hotel direct to make sure they have a room with 2 doubles as when we arrived even though we had requested this they only had 1 king bed rooms available, although they didn't charge us for the rolloway which was nice. breakfast was the usual buffet style-the same every day, although if there were tour groups staying they changed the cutlery to plastic and didn't put out the cereals and fruit which was unfair on the rest of the guests but when we asked we did get these items without a problem.
as far as location is concerned, the hotel shuttle bus runs free to newark airport every 1/2 hour and you can use this as many times as you like during your stay. from there you can get the train direct to penn station in manhattan for $14 one way and $11 one way for a child over 5. it takes about 30 minutes, and they are frequent.
there are no restauarants or shops within walking distance of the hotel so i wouldn't use this hotel if you were spending all day every day here but the hotel did provide take away menus.
i would say this hotel provides good value for money but next time we would pay a bit more for the convenience of being in manhattan.

not what we were expecting

Myself and my husband checked into this hotel on sept 5th on a stopover from Ireland to the Bahamas for our wedding and all I can say is thank goodness it was only for 1 night. We booked this hotel through our travel agents who assured us that it was a well known hotel group and was up to standards. WHAT??? After a 6 hr flight we arrived at newark airport and as instructed rang for the shuttle to pick us up . more phonecalls and it arrived. We entered the rather dark and damp smelling lobby and checked in . As we made our way to our room on (i think) the 4th floor we passed a bucket in the middle of the floor collecting a rather vile drip from above.(These things happen) Onto the elevator which creaked all the way up along a strange smelling corridor and into our room. Yuck!!!
The Smell hit us instantly. I used the shower and jumped straight back into my shoes for fear of stepping on the disgusting dirty brown carpet ( not entirely sure if it was the colour or the dirt) .Beneath the beds the dust was thick. The window didnt close as the "air conditioning" box was in the way so we were given the full sound effects of the throughway traffic behind (which didnt stop all night)
We knew we couldnt spend the next few hours in the hotel so we decided to go check out around the hotel. Huh No safety deposit box. We had all our documents for our wedding all our money and crdit cards. so we spent a while hiding all we could. then we went back downstairs. Now I cannot fault the receptionest who advised us to go to jersey gardens shopping mall 10 mins away she called us a taxi & gave us a number for our return journey fair play to her! we had a great evening and didnt return till late as we figured the less time spent here the better. Thank god we checked out at 5 am the next morning . I spent the night asleep on the outside of the blankets as when i looked at them the stains werent that nice. Neither myself or my husband are that fussy about accomadation but when we were charged €200 each to stay the night we do expect cleanlieness . Dont think we will be checkin in again

way better than expected

We booked a ParkSleepFly package with the Four Points and stayed there for one night. After reading all the bad reviews about this hotel, we arrived with mixed feelings. However, the hotel was way better than expected. We got a very nice, spacious, clean room on the 9th floor, which had a great view of the skyline of Manhattan. Room service was okay and the airport shuttle was on time. It took us 5 minutes to get to the airport. Nothing to complain at all!

Average but adequate

by TripAdvisor Member AgentQ

I stayed here for an overnight. I was leaving for an early morning flight out of Newark. The shuttle bus didn't start running until 5am, so I had to take a taxi. I had read the bad reviews of this hotel, so I was wary. Check-in was OK, despite the fact that the first room I was assigned wasn't the corrct room-the door was open and it hadn't been cleaned. The next room was fine. The desk receptionist was polite, professional and helpful. The room itself seemed neat and clean. Upon further inspection, the carpet seemed dirty in places and the sofa had some dried food on it. Other than that, the room was fine. It's an economy hotel near the airport, not a Sheraton resort hotel. Overall, I would say it can be an above average hotel near the airport if they pay attention to the cleanliness factor.

You get what you pay for.

by TripAdvisor Member Gnutter

Stayed at the hotel with my family and the bottom line is you get what you paid for.

What I liked:
- price was right, thanks to internet only rates
- location was convenient for our purposes, being an airport hotel and close to a relatives' house
- beds were soooo comfortable
- kids liked the indoor pool and that they could watch planes take off and land

What I didn't like:
- the room had a musty smell to it
- carpets were old could use either a replacement or a really good cleaning
- you have to wait a while before someone answers call at front desk because it is not adequately staffed
- forget about asking directions from the front desk staff -- they (the staff and directions) are totally useless. They couldn't give us proper directions to go to the Jersey Gardens Mall which we found out was only 5 minutes away after getting lost and having to ask directions from a flower vendor

Comments