2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

1170 Spring St, Elizabeth, NJ 07201
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Hilton Newark Airport

Sophisticated Design, Great Service - but Dusty!

by TripAdvisor Member kirksfam

I spent two nights at the Hilton - Newark Airport. The exterior could use a brush up, but the decor throughout the hotel is outstanding. Really good designers worked on this place, and it shows everywhere - from the lobby, bar, and restaraunts to the hallways, rooms, and bathrooms. You really feel special when your suroundings are so beautiful.

Another huge plus is the food. It's superb! While some items are definitely pricey, it's not exorbitant. There's plenty to suit every budget, and even the priciest items are well worth the cost.

Room service is really quick, too. Twenty minutes was the longest I had to wait for anything!

I booked a single King for $94 - a great price for the area - on the Hilton website. The room had a desk and chair, an armoire with TV and drawers, a seating area with a round glass-topped table and 2 attractive chairs, and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was smallish, but gorgeous, with great lighting and the Crabtree & Evelyn goodies other reviewers have noted.

There was a floor-to-ceiling windon, the bottom third of which opened. It was really neat because the building is designed so that guest room windows are angled for complete privacy. That is, you can't see any other guests, they can't see you, and no buildings are close by.

Fortunately, I was on the airport side of the building. So I had a view of planes taking off and landing every few minutes. And I couldn't hear a thing! You are encapsulated in a completely sound-proof environment at the Hilton. Like I said, it was really neat.

The entire expereince of sophisticated design, whisper quiet privacy, and outstanding food and service really puts you in a New York state of mind. Very exciting.

The only drawback was a significant one: my room was dusty, really dusty. I am not overly sensitive to dust, but when the vacuuming has been surface, rather than deep, I can definitely tell. And surface vacuuming is what housekeeping at the Hilton does.

I asked housekeping to give my room a good vacuuming while I was out the second day. I came back to find that they basically just sprinkled more of the scented carpet granules tbroughout the room. Even after vacuuming it up, they had spread it in such heavy conscentrations that I bought a clean-air machine at a nearby Lowe's to handle the heavy stench of perfume combined with accumulated dust.

That was enough to give me pause about returning to the Hilton Newark Airport and recommending it in a review. I don't know - so this is the best I can do:

If you tolerate dust well, go for it. You will LOVE this Hilton.

If you don't tolerate dust well, stay at the Hampton Inn in Linden. I've stayed there several times. It's dust free and has a free shuttle to and from the airport.

Happy traveling!

Maintenance issues

by TripAdvisor Member entlaw

A hotel is only as good as its worst room, which I must have had. The Hilton is a beautiful and well-located hotel. We arrived at 11 PM from London (for us 4 AM) and were exhausted. Although my daughter was distressed, we decided not to report the bathroom door that would not close or lock, as that would have entailed a visit from maintenance. But I did call the front desk to ask how to reset the clock radio which was programmed for one hour later than the actual time. The desk clerk confirmed that it is not guest-adjustable (!) and that she would have to come up. I declined and decided to make mental allowance for the time difference.

Being so tired, the last thing I wanted was sunlight streaming into the room at 6 AM but I was unable to pull the curtain tight despite several attempts. The TV was impossible to turn off with the remote. The hairdryer was hidden in the armoire and required a call down to have it located, incorrectly at first. The clock radio, TV and hairdryer are systemic problems but the bathroom door and curtain were maintenance issues that should have been caught by quality control, if not reported by a previous guest (which is hard to imagine).

When I brought the litany of problems to the attention of the front desk manager in the morning, she was sympathetic but said she could not compensate me monetarily because I had booked through Hotwire ($64 vs $169 through Hilton's web site). I wondered aloud whether the Hilton deliberately books Hotwire customers into inferior rooms to discourage its use, which the manager adamantly denied, but it is hard to imagine that so many problems could afflict one room. This was my first Hotwire experience and, despite the manager's protestations, I am reluctant to use it again.

Inconsistent

by TripAdvisor Member sailorgirlmn

We stay at the Hilton frequently when flying in and out of Newark Airport. Most of our stays have been above average, however my last two stays at the hotel were disappointing. I stayed at the hotel before and after a trip in mid-April. My first stay was fine except for slow food service. Room was clean, spacious and well equipped. My second stay, the hotel was full and the hotel suffered because of it. The front desk attendant was friendly enough, but did not enter my wakeup call for the time requested. I was put in a handicapped room on a smoking floor right near the elevator despite being a Hilton Honors member and specifically requesting non-smoking FAR from the elevator. It was a loud, nightmarish night, topped off by a missed wakeup call. I rushed to make the shuttle which I was told ran every 15 minutes. After waiting for more than 15, the man vacuuming the lobby said it ran every 20 minutes and I had just missed it. The hotel made it right by dropping me at my terminal instead of the remote location which helped me make my flight. Nothing about the stay was particularly bad but it was only OK and not up to the usual standards of this hotel.

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member Tlstone

We stayed at the Hilton across from the Newark Airport on 3/24/06. We weren’t expecting much considering the location, but were pleasantly surprised. We had a really nice view of the airport from the eleventh floor, through a window that was just about floor to ceiling. The room was clean and comfortable. They provide nice bath products (Crabtree & Evelyn) and there's a coffee maker in the room as well. The hotel also seemed very clean and well-maintained. We left our car in the hotel parking lot for a week and took the complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. It was very convenient. One night at this hotel, (which included parking for the week and the airport shuttle), cost only about $15 more than parking at the airport for the week. We would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay there again next time we have an early flight out of Newark.

Great Service at every level

by TripAdvisor Member fenwayman

I enjoyed my one night stay at the Newark Airport Hilton, mostly because every staff member there was friendly and helpful, from the airport shuttle driver to the desk staff, restaurant staff, and housekeeping. I mean every staff member. It was a most welcoming experience.

The room was clean and the bed was extremely confortable. I could lie in the bed and watch the planes taking off, and I did not hear them at all. I had one problem: one of the coffee mugs had been put back dirty (with the paper cover suggesting it had been cleaned) and though this bothers me, it actually happens a lot and is something I always watch out for.

Even though the hotel is near the airport, it's a bit of a drive through traffic to get back and forth, so I was glad I gave myself extra time.

I really liked this hotel and will stay again.

Staff needs to be trained in customer service

by TripAdvisor Member dancetoforget__x

The hotel itself was fine. The lobby was nice, and the rooms were nice. Everything was clean -- no complaints at all about the hotel itself. But the staff was enough to make me never consider a Hilton again. From the second we arrived, they made it seem like us needing to check in was a problem. They were extremely unhelpful, rude, and disrespectful. It was nearly impossible to get a straight answer out of anyone there -- they refused to connect us to any taxi service, and said they would only call us a taxi [which was $22 to go 3 minutes away]

We were hung up on twice, other times we called they said they'd call us back, and an hour later we still recieved no call-back. We called for room service at about 1am [their was a red-eye menu that clearly stated it ran from 11pm-6am] and they told us room service was closed. If it's closed, take it out of the information booklet.

We thought maybe just the two ladies working the front desk when we arrived were the only ones with the attitudes, but it turned out to be every employee we talked to, and every other shift at the front desk. Except the room service delivery guy, who was extremely nice.

All in all, I would never stay here again. We were treated better by staff a hotel we weren't even staying at. Stick with the Holiday Inn Newark [which is extremely nice for a Holiday Inn] or one of the Marriots.

Good 2-Night Stay

by TripAdvisor Member dlostyle77

I thought this hotel was fine. I got the $60 per night price I wanted on Priceline, but was nervous about the "Priceline rooms" that other reviewers talked about.
Maybe because my wife was 8 1/2 months pregnant and couldn't walk too well, they gave us a different room near the elevator that was fine (it had 2 double beds, but that's all they said was available). There was nothing wrong with it. The A/C was a little weak for my taste, even though I set the digital thermostat to have the fan run continuously with the temperature set for 68 degrees.
Other than that, it was fine. My wife loved the pillow-top mattress cover on the beds (she ripped the sheets off to see what brand name it was).
The staff was friendly, the hotel bar was hopping (not that I indulged with my wife about to deliver at any moment), and the location was fine.
It was about a 25-minute ride into Manhattan via the Holland Tunnel.
I would most definitely return.

Nice, decent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bermudabeachbum

This is a decent, comfortable hotel for our 1 night stay.
Check in and out was a breeze.
Doorman was very helpful and gave us a listing of local restaurant
recommendations.
The self parking situation is a bit awkward. You need to pay at the hotel rather
than the car park attendant and every time you go out you get another ticket and
present it with your receipt at the end of your stay... they should offer free
parking for hotel guests.
Room was clean and comfortable.. no complaints.

Enjoyable Trip

by TripAdvisor Member TravelingButterflyy

Stayed at the hotel during a weekend trip to NY. When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted promptly by the bellman who took my bags and held them for me while I checked in. The check in process took maybe 5minutes if that. The bellman delivered my bags to my room for me, came in placed them in the closet, opened my curtains for me and the armoire and was very pleasant. The rooms were very nice and my king deluxe room pretty much looked exactly the same as the picture on the website. The ammenities were nice as well and even though the airport was directly across the street you heard no outside noises. Overall I had a good trip. My only complaint is parking. Because the lot is used for people that utilize the airport also when I came in one evening I parked in the very last row in the corner of the lot. That would have been a long trip if I was just coming and had all my luggage. I will return again my next trip to NY

Great Service Pleasantly Suprised

by TripAdvisor Member coochie

I was so amazed when I went here. Since there had been some bad reviews about this place being dirty and the bad customer service. We couldn't have had a better service.

We booked through buyreservations.com and for $126 we had HOTEL, PARK & FLY. Hotel room for one night and free airport parking for up to 10 days. This was a REALLY good deal!

I thought the staff were very helpful and friendly. The parking was pretty easy to find. Its where the metal enclosed compound fencing is. Getting to the Hotel is tricky if you don't know your way around.

The transportation to the airport was directly to the terminal. I had read that people had to go to P4 first and get the air train. Apparantly Hilton transport WILL take you DIRECTLY to the terminal you need when you DEPART. When you ARRIVE back you have to go to P4 and then call the transport van. I was very impressed by the service we recieved. It was really hot on our return home and we were given ice cold bottled water by the driver of the Hilton transport bus.

As for the rooms. Please see my photos. I was so impressed by the cleanliness of the rooms. Very nice decor. I love the Evelyn Crabtree amenities. The bathroom was lovely. Huge mirror and soft soft towels. The shower is amazing! very powerful have to use that! The King bed was a pillotop and sooo comfy!

We left at 3am for the airport and had no problems in getting transport at that time. The buses leave every 20 mins from the hour (so 3, 3:20, 3:40, 4 etc)

I definetly reccomend this hotel. I think next to the Marriot which is located inside the airport this is the next nearest hotel and only took 5 mins to get to the airport.

Comments