3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

540 Washington Boulevard, Jersey City, New Jersey, 07310, United States

Courtyard Jersey City Newport
Expedia.com Courtyard.com Travelocity

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• STAY AWAY... HORRIBLE Marriott!

Took a 2-day trip to NJ/NY, last minute. I had been on the website for Marriott. Hyatt Regency in Jersey City was booked solid, too bad.

We called Courtyard,. Our room, UGH!!!!!!!! The DIRT, DUST & FILTH!!!! Bed sheets appeared clean, bathroom fine, not great.
    We hung the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign up & left to see the pool.

The pool was merky & not even the boys wanted to use it. We left trying to figure out our options. When we got back to our room, the "Do Not Disturb" sign had been moved from the key lock and so we knew someone had gone into our room while we were out of it! I called to the front desk & the girl tried to cover for someone mumbled things about refrigerators. We did not have one. LIES & cover-ups.

I called Cassie, the mgr to our room. She was told about the person entering our room, & I told her since the keys were electronic theyshould know who entered our room. (NEver heard back about that issue, surprise, surprise.)

Then we asked her to explain the filth. She could not. She did say that they were not a "full-service" hotel. WHAT???

I asked her if full-service means that the windows can be left with disgust. These things had not been cleaned in, I don't know HOW long.

WE told the mgr to find us another Marriott. She came back with Marriotts inconveniently located! WAY out of the way, and in bad areas, too.

We all agreed to stay the night, leave on Sunday morning as early as we could. I photographed the sliding doors, as this was the best way to show the grime.

We left the next morning, and I told the staff I refused to pay the bill and that I had photographs of the room. They zeroed out our bill without anymore hesitation.

We went to the Hyatt Regency in the Jersey City Financial District, and paid $189 a night, and were in pure luxury! We even hadaview of Manhattan.
    (As a side note, they never sent anyone to clean the door while we were there, or the rooms. My son, who suffers from dust mite allergies, woke up with a SWOLLEN face and red eyes.)

Unique Quality: DISGUSTING ROOMS at $164 per night!!!!
    TOTALLY GROSS POOL!!!!
    (The Marriott photo on their website looks beautiful, but beware, it ain't even close!)

Restaurant is part-time, and I would not eat there if you paid me.

Convenient to Holland Tunnel, though, and Hoboken is just to the north. In Financial District. Safe area (only safe area) of Jersey City.

We got there, & saw a spider hanging from the door that was NOT the bellman. It did not look friendly!! (it was there when we left, too, so no one bothered to clean the front hotel doors.

Directions: South of Hoboken, in the Financial District. Across from a mall.

More about Courtyard By Marriott Jersey City Newport

Perfectly nice Courtyard

by TripAdvisor Member wise2374

I've stayed in plenty of Courtyards, and this is one of the nicest I've ever stayed in. There's typically a pretty narrow range of how nice a Courtyard can be, but this one's at the high end of that range.

The public spaces have a nice feel to them, with very nice sitting area beyond the front desk, and a very pretty outdoor courtyard, also with a sitting area. There's a bar area, and a breakfast-dinner restaurant which, while nothing spectacular, is a nice feature to have for convenience's sake. This hotel also has room service during the week.

Rooms are standard Courtyard - clean, comfortable enough, and functional - and include free high speed internet. Many have nice balconys facing downtown Jersey City. There's not much of an NYC view for those rooms facing the river, however, in case you're looking for that.

Service was actually memorably friendly. They had computer problems when I first arrived, but had handled it in a way where I couldn't tell the difference.

The surrounding area has a number of decent restaurants and even a few bars. It's across from a large shopping mall, too. In general, there's not a ton going on in this area after dark, but it didn't feel unsafe. It's also steps away from both the PATH train to NYC, and the light rail to various other destinations in Bergen and Hudson Counties.

There are a few nicer hotels in the Jersey City area. The waterfront Hyatt, maybe a 15 minute walk south, is easily the nicest, but also the most expensive. The Doubletree Suites, nearby the Courtyard, looks to be more of a full service hotel than this one, but was priced the same as the Courtyard. Any other hotel that says "Jersey City" that isn't one of these three is going to be very poorly located and divey, so I'd avoid them unless you need a much lower cost hotel (which, I'd expect them to be).

All in all, other than the Courtyard in Philadelphia, this is probably the nicest Courtyard I've stayed in. It's a good choice for a convenient and clean stay in Jersey City, or if you're priced out of the NYC hotels.

Bed Bugs!! Ick!!!

by TripAdvisor Member twoputtgal

At first glance, you'd think this was a pretty nice Courtyard considering all the hotel amenities (workout room, onsite restaurant, etc...). However, our room looked like a typical Holiday Inn room - the carpet was not clean at all, it had older furniture, an older TV, an old style AC, a small bathroom and tiny sink/vanity area. We checked in late in the evening, fell asleep for a few hours and realized something was chomping on my shoulder!! Ewwwwww!! After I squooshed it to death I took off my shirt and noticed that 'something' had been comping on someone else, too (alot of blood - not mine!). Needless to say, we checked out as soon as day light broke. The maid didn't seem to be surprised. She was just hoping she didn't bring the bugs home with her (I don't blame her). Bottom line - eww. Fugetaboutit.

Reasonable hotel in Excellent Location

by TripAdvisor Member Cargycroy

We stayed at the Courtyard Jersey City for over one week from 3 Dec. The hotel is in good condition and an excellent location adjacent to the Pavonia Path station and situated across the road from a major shopping mall. The room was spacious and our party of three adults were well pleased with it. However, we did have problems for three nights with the internet connection which kept failing and the staff did not seem to be overly concerned about it leaving one with the impression that the failure was a regular occurrence.

We took breakfast on the Sunday morning in the hotel and it seemed that just about every other guest did likewise. Clearly there was insufficient staff in the dining area which resulted in my wife's order being overlooked. About 45 minutes later she did get her cooked breakfast with profuse apologies and 'no charge'.

Overall, a pleasant experience and in spite of a few problems I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Good hotel in good location

by TripAdvisor Member wonrat

The hotel is located in a very comvenient location right next to the Path subway line that takes you to the middle of Manhattan. The hotel is quite reasonable compared to the prices in Manhattan and for the slight inconvenience I would highly recommend staying here. The staff were extrememly helpful with all our questions and with any requests we had for taxis etc. Bottom line--you can save a bundle by staying here and the hotel is very nice--and 2 free computers in the lobby for use of guests.

Average, Good location

by TripAdvisor Member Rey2

My family and I (me, husband, 13 y.o, 9 y.o) stayed 2 nights at the Courtyard Jersey City after Christmas mostly due to our familiarity with Courtyard, price, and location (sooo close to PATH train to NYC). We arrived and found the place easily, close to the Holland tunnel. A short drive past the hotel gives a good view of lower Manhattan and even a view of the Statue of Liberty. There is valet parking ($14/day for guests) and we didn't need to see our car again until we left. I had requested a roll away bed because the only room available was a king with a pull out couch. When we arrived we were curtly told that they were all out of roll aways. The lobby is nice with a room with a fireplace, computers with access and a bar. There is a room for breakfast, though not open for dinner. Contrary to other reviews, there are places to eat nearby. Nothing too fancy but there is a mall across the street with a food court and typical mall food restaurants. The check-in staff was not the friendliest. (I have written another review for a Courtyard in D.C with, for the most part, the most pleasant, helpful, friendly staff I've encountered.) Being friendly and holding staff accountable for this costs a chain nothing so I can't understand this but...
Our room was on the 5th floor, the furthest from the elevator though I had requested one near the elevator. I think we had a room that had yet to be updated. It was a bit tired looking with a king bed and a SINGLE pull out couch. So, the 9 y.o. and my husband and I were in the king! Not the greatest rest with that and a thin mattress. The bathroom was ok. It was not cleaned as it could've been, hair on the floor. The first morning we ate breakfast at the Courtyard buffet. It was clean, omelettes to order, fruit, waffles, bacon etc...The (2) waitstaff there yelled across the room to each other and seemed overwhelmed. The BEST part of the place is the location. Literally next door to the PATH train station to NYC, right across the river. The trip is $1.50 each way. The stations are all automated. You feed money into a machine to get your pass. We all felt safe, it was fast, clean, good trip. The train goes to either the WTC or all the way to 33rd St, near Herald Sq, so we only took the subway once in NYC and walked most everywhere from either the WTC or 33rd.
One night, my husband had a drink at the bar while we waited for our room to be cleaned (about 5:30 p.m) and the bar attendant was the nicest employee there.

I would still probably stay there again, but if I found something even fairly comparable in price in the city I would stay there.

Not bad but not the best Courtyard, I've found.

Great value location

by TripAdvisor Member haasmail2006

We stayed here over New Year's weekend. We wanted to stay in Manhattan, but couldn't get in anywhere for four consecutive nights because of the holiday. We chose The Courtyard because it was right next to the PATH train station and figured it would be easy to get into the city. What a great "outside of Manhattan" location. Not only is it right next to the PATH station into the city, but it's across the street from the NJ Transit station and a pretty nice mall with a number of good coffee shops if you don't want their breakfast buffet. I wouldn't want to be walking around parts of Jersey City at night, but the area around the hotel is clean and newly developed. We felt completely safe. The valet parking was a little bit backwards. You had to check in then go back to the valet to give them your room number, but we were able to park the car on a Thusday night, take the trains into the city each morning (20 minute ride), and not have to worry about driving or parking until we left on Monday. Plus the rate is usually between 50 and 70 percent of what you will pay for a comparable room in Manhattan. We even had a partial view of the New York skyline from our room, though most of it is obscured by larger surrounding buildings. How much you can see depends on how high up you are and what side of the building you are on. If you are comfortable with the trains, which are the best way to get around New York anyway, and want to save a few bucks, this is the place.

Perfect for large family!

by TripAdvisor Member siestaclaud

After weeks of frustrating research trying to find a place in NYC for 7 people I stumbled across this hotel from a recommendation on - where else - tripadvisor.com!

There are 3 reasons why this hotel was perfect for us:

Location: We were a 10 minute PATH train ride from WTC stop. Perfect location for visiting the WTC site and Statue of Liberty. We were also a 30 minute train ride to Yankee Stadium (with one very easy train transfer). The PATH station is directly next to the hotel - about 50 paces. It was ideal! This hotel is just south of the Holand Tunnel enterance on the Jersey side - it is that close to NYC. We never felt like were missing something by not being in the middle of the action. We were only a quick train ride away.

Cost: We paid HALF of what we would have for 2 rooms in NYC. And the rooms were HUGE. I mean HUGE. We had 7 in the group and never felt cramped.

Amenities: The hotel had a great breakfast with loads of choices. Free internet in the lobby. A nice pool for the kids to go nuts in after a long day of sightseeing. Great desk help (we were originally given two rooms across from each other which they quickly corrected to be adjoining).

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone traveling to NYC. It isn't in the heart of the city, but for the money you save, and all the extras you wouldn't get in the city it is worth it.

C

Great Compromise!

by TripAdvisor Member ocdinaz

This Courtyard is right next door to the Pavonia/Newport PATH station! We visited Manhattan for my daughter's 18th birthday. Disappointed the hotel was renovating hallways, room was small, but carpet was new as well as sleeper sofa (still had plastic on mattress). Front desk was very helpful. Got our cab there on time for our return to Newark airport. When dryer broke in laundry, dried our jeans in hotel laundry and returned them folded to our room. Daughter loved complimentary Bath n' Bodyworks products in room. Hotel brought extra towels and toiletries upon request. Didn't eat in hotel restaurant. There is a mall about a block away with food court. Immediate area is safe (commercial properties). PATH trains are safe and very convenient to get to 33rd St. (Empire State Building) or World Trade Center (let's you off in the midst of ground zero)... $1.50 per person per direction. PATH stations and trains were cleaner than subway. Crowded during the week, but pleasantly surprised at all the security walking around. We could have gotten to the hotel and back to the airport by using air shuttle to NJ Transit Train to NJ Penn PATH station, switching PATH trains at Journal Square station, but we got in late at night on a weekday and we left early in the morning on a weekend. Better to take cab at $40 + tip each way under the circumstances. Be aware that PATH trains are routed differently on weekends so you might have to go back to Journal Square station (one stop) before going direct to WTC station. And sometimes PATH trains delayed or down on the weekends due to maintenance. We had only one delay Saturday morning going to WTC station (about 10 minutes). I would stay at this Courtyard again, but we are simple people. We primarly wanted safe, clean, and convenient.

Great location to see NYC

by TripAdvisor Member jack96

Four of us had two rooms for two nights in order to see NYC. Front desk was very helpful - even found us rooms for early check-in and gave advice on PATH subway into NYC. Hotel seemed new, very clean, good neighborhood. Breakfast was not included, but they had very nice well-prepared food. Coffee was available in the lobby and in your room. The BEST part was that the PATH subway was right next door. Only drawback was that valet parking was $14/day for guests - that's cheap compared to NYC prices.

Comments