100 Christopher Columbus Dr, Jersey City, New Jersey, 07302, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Jersey City

Barbed wireBarbed wire

Sebastian finding out how much he weighs in spaceSebastian finding out how much he weighs in space

Liberty Science CenterLiberty Science Center

Antoinette can't decideAntoinette can't decide

Where to live?

by Iron2

I have to move and I rented a place about 10 min walk to Journal Square Path station in Jersey City, New Jersey.

The place is off Sip Ave. I am not sure if the area is safe as I have recently heard that it is not safe to walk at nights. Is this true and how safe or unsafe is the area?

Re: Where to live?

by Easty

The area is a marginal area of Jersey City. The advantage of living in the area is being close to a PATH station, which is an advantage going into New York. I believe that neighborhood is primarily Hispanic. The disadvantage is that there is crime there. I can tell because the restaurants in the area lock their bathrooms. My suggestion is to take a look at the neighborhood and see how comfortable you feel. It is an area that is relatively safe, but you have to be cautious.

Re: Where to live?

by jerseyjoe

The previous reponse to this question is nonsense.

First of all, the area is not marginal. Journal Square is the commercial heart of a vibrant community. It is no more dangerous than any other comparable city - and there is plenty of evidence that it is significantly less. For example, about 20 months ago, Prevention Magazine rated Jersey City as the second best city in the entire USA for walking.

Hispanic? Not really. If the heterogeneous neighborhood has any single dominant ethic group it might be Egytptian. And that group, in this neighborhood, is divided between Christian and Moslem. But I know people in homes in the surrounding streets who are 5th and 6th generation American, and first generation immigrants from China, Korea, Philipines, Poland, France, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Jordan, India, Pakistan, Ireland, Greece, and many more.

Suprised? In Dickinson High School, the one that serves the Journal Square area and surrounding neighborhoods, more than 40 different languages are spoken by the students. Few areas in world have such a diverse population.

BTW - I live in the neighborhood. I teach part time at the Coumminiuty College at 29 Sip Ave. Was born here 72 years ago. Walk through it virtually every single day, often more than once. If I come home late at night (say 1 or 2 am) off a PATH train ride from Manhattan, and the weather is good, I have no reluctance at all to walk home.

It's a working class neighborhood but there are also upscale "doorman" condo and apartment buildings as well, indluding one on either corner of Sip and JFK, cater-corner from the 24 hour VIP Restaurant . There's another doorman building at Sip and Summit. A new upscale apartment building is rapidly nearly completion, with an entrance on Sip Ave, 1/2 block from the center of Journal Square, facing the PATH station. I think it will be accepting it's first residents in April or May 2005.

So, don't believe what that non-resident thinks Jersey City - and especially the Journal Square area - is like. He hasn't a clue.

Re: Re: Where to live?

by Easty

Why don't you complain about me to VT.

Re: Re: Where to live?

by Easty

I apologize for my previous response. I had a bad day and vented some anger towards you. I have worked in the Journal Square area and the majority of the people I came in contact with were Hispanic. I also observed many signs in Spanish in the area. That is where my presumption comes from. You are right in saying that there is a significant Arab-American communtiy there, which I should have pointed out. I am not saying that the Journal Square area is bad. No one else was answering this poster and I gave my observations. Don't get me wrong, I give Jersey City a lot of credit in cleaning up its image. It is much better now than it has been in the past. Being that it is a city area, I was just suggesting checking out the area before making the decision to move there.

Travel Tips for Jersey City

Hunters Point, Long Island City

by nyceagle1633

Vernon Blvd. From 51st to 47th Avenue is the main thoroughfare. Take the 7 Train, it is the first stop in Queens, Vernon Blvd / Jacskon Avenue, 5 minutes from Grand Central.

There is a french cafe named 'Henri', excellent selections, crepes, soups, cafe etc...so it is right next to subway. '47' is another place for dine and grab a beer on Vernon Blvd. There is this boutique, really cool place located on Vernon Blvd at 48th Avenue, you can't miss it.

'Art-O-Mat' is an artisan store, gallery at 46-46 Vernon Blvd, really neat stuff here.

A SURPRISE OUTING FOR RICHIE AND THE BOYS

by moiraistyx

This past weekend, I decided to surprise Richie and the boys with an outing. Richie and I had spoken a couple of months ago about taking a trip to The Liberty Science Center. The day started out alright, that is until we can into trouble navigating with Richie's new toy, a GPS.

Jersey City, NJ

by ratherton

Settlements in Jersey city date back to the early 1600s. It's located directly across the Hudson from Manhatten Island and immediately south of Hoboken.

Jersey City's location meant that it became a focal point for warehousing, manufacturing and transportation. At one stage, it was one of the main railway terminals in the country.

Today, it is more of a business and residential area.

City of Jersey City

Easty's new Jersey City Page

by Easty

Liberty State Park in Jersey City is a must see. It offers great views of the Statue of Liberty and the Skyline of New York City. Tours of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are offered at Liberty State Park.

Comments