4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Travelocity Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

The Best View outside of NYC

I have wanted to stay at the Jersey City Hyatt Regency Hotel for years. Most people I know thought it was a bad idea - "no, no! You must stay IN the city! You must wake up IN the city and prowl around the streets at night.

But I am a view junkie and every view I've had IN NYC has been of a brick wall, an alley way, or someone's bathroom window. The view from the Jersey City Hyatt Regency is of the Manhattan skyline! From another angle we see the Statue of Liberty. The Hudson River stretches out past us and ships and boats and helocopters come and go. I bet it was really something to see the US Air jet land in the Hudson from this hotel! Or even more, I can't imagine what it was like the day the Twin Towers fell.

The Hyatt itself is like most Hyatts. Our room is comfortable and well appointed. Our twin doubles are both incredibly comfortable with loads of pillows. An easy chair by the window welcomes me to sit and watch the view, or read a book. The bathroom is sparkley clean with upscale amenities.

One thing that always frustrates me is that the more expensive the hotel, the more they nickle and dime you for the extras; internet connection - $9.95 per day, parking - $32.00 a day, room service comes with a $5.00 delivery fee and a 20% service charge, on top of an already outrageous price per item. There is free coffee and $3.00 bottles of water.

Unique Quality: The Vu Lounge (and Vu Restaurant) are on the main level and both boast fantastic views of the skyline, the river and all else that you can see.

The PATH station is just adjacent to the hotel and trains come every 5 minutes every day to race you under the river and into the City. Frankly, it still seems like a no brainer to me, given whatever neighborhood you stay in IN the city, you face a subway, bus or taxi ride somewhere. Now let's head over there and see if we can find the CASH CAB!!!!

Note: If you are a Priceline user, you can often get really good deals (under $100) on this property. For our March weekend, we netted a $129 per night rate from the hotel website, something you'll NEVER find IN the City!

Directions: Smack dab on the Hudson River, across from Chelsey Pier

• mwenn2100's Profile Photo

The view may be worth it...

I was booked into the Hyatt because it was only two buildings down from the office that I was working at. That being said, reviewing a hotel that I am not personally spending my own money on may not be entirely fair, but I will try and be very objective. I suppose if someone were going to NYC and didn't want to pay the extremely high prices and could get a deal at the Hyatt (and didn't mind taking a ferry to the city) then this hotel may work. I did notice 99% of the clientelle were business people (I didn't see any families or people wearing jeans, etc.) The layout of the hotel is semi-odd (although I have seen similar in other ritzy hotels)... you walk in and take an escalator up to the lobby/reception desk and walk down the hall to the elevators and either go up or down depending on what room you are in. The hotel was fairly stuffy, but the staff was always pleasant.

The rooms were nice. Mine had a very large bathroom, nice product, 2 double beds, and extra large work area, a refrigerator and a gorgeous view. Some of the room actually look out at the Statue of Liberty (mine looked at Wall Street), but it was beautiful both during the day and at night when the city was all lit up. Room service was horribly expensive ($15 hamburger, $5 delivery charge, $5 service fee plus tax)... not good for the per diem budget! The food was okay, but certainly not worth the money charged. The do have a bar and a restaurant, but I didn't go to either. There are a lot of meeting rooms, a very small gift shop, a fitness center, and a pool. The hotel is very convenient to the ferry and the rail system (right outside the hotel).

I'll be staying here again when I go back next month so maybe I'll try and explore more of the hotel, maybe not!! :)

Unique Quality: I was amazed at the view... maybe that's just me though!

• WOW! This Regency rocks

4 out of 5 stars. Great location in the financial district of Northern Jersey City. (Stay away from lower Jersey City, it's bad news.)

The people were all helpful and friendly. Our view from our room 645 was breathtaking overlooking the Hudson at Manhattan.

We paid $189 for the night, but parking was $31, steep. Make sure you check the rates on the internet, as they were cheaper than calling in for a last-minute reservation. (You think they'd want to sell out their rooms when someone calls in for a room, but NO. They jacked up our price. I had to address the issue at check-in to get the internet price of $189.)

The rooms are nice. They even have refrigerators (at least our room did), and it came in handy, as we bought extra water bottles in Hoboken since, at $1.20, they were the cheapest around. (the room has Poland Spring water bottles (warm) for $7. No joke.

We had their room service for dinner and breakfast. The food was good. The kids menu was good for room service for dinner and breakfast, and both boys rec'd generous amounts of food for both meals, which were only $5 each.

Internet access is $9.95 for a 24 hour period, which is ridiculous.

Their restaurant, The Vu, looked okay, but the food from room service came thru them anyway. The room service menu did not offer an adult hamburger, but was simply asked, and they were happy to accommodate.

Unique Quality: The pool is a very small lap pool. Our boys said it was cold water. No hot tub. Pretty nice workout room, with lots of machines.

Directions: On Columbus in the Financial District of NORTH Jersey City. This is the only safe area of Jersey City, so beware!!

I rated it less expensive than average, because you get more for about the same price.

More about Hyatt Regency Jersey City On The Hudson

Fantastic alternative to NYC hotels for budget minded travelers

by TripAdvisor Member abmsam211

I cannot say enough about the quality of this hotel. My husband and I stayed here for two nights on December 19-21, 2004, while visiting New York City for Christmas. We actually paid under $50/night on Priceline. The best way to get here from Laguardia is to take a car to the World Trade Center subway station (we paid $40 plus tip, but there's no toll). Get on the PATH and the hotel door is literally one stop and six minutes away (for just over a dollar.)

OK.......the hotel........ We checked in about noon, but our room wasn't ready. So we left our bags and went into the city. Before leaving, I requested a King Room, and my request was cheerfully granted by a fantastic young man at the front desk. There was no "Priceline stigma" that you fellow Priceline users may have experienced elsewhere. This place is first class. When we returned later that afternoon, the same gentleman at the desk handed me our room key as we walked through the lobby, without so much as a reminder of our last name. IMPRESSIVE!

We could not have been happier with the room. It was large and roomy, and the large desk is an asset to the room. The view of Lower Manhattan was incredible, especially at night. I used the high speed internet hookup in the room for $9.95 for 24 hours. The bed was super comfy, with a pillow-top mattress, down comfortor, and high thread-count sheets. The entire hotel seemed very new, fresh, clean, and modern.

The staff was very helpful when we asked for directions to the nearest fast food joint for a quick snack. They pointed us to a Fat Burger two blocks away. We felt completely comfortable walking two blocks during the day. I had also heard that the area around the hotel was a bit "creepy," but we didn't feel that way at all just two blocks in.

Overall, this Hyatt was absolutely perfect for us, "a young couple who wanted to see NYC but had to watch the wallet. " We had a fantastic experience, and I will recommend Hyatt Jersey City to family and friends.

Perfect Choice for NYC Virgins and Afficianados!

My perfect hotel in the Big Apple, just a minute or two away from the core! Booked on Hyatt at an unbeatable rate ($125/nt dbl) for the Christmas/NYE week. Was a little anxious about the location, but soon that was a fear conquered. Stay with me here to read all the details:

Location: very easy to get around on the PATH trains. Taxi is about $30 plus tolls from Newark Int'l, if you can, go with Towncar/Sedan service reserved in advance for about the same. An extremely economical and easy option coming from Newark Int'l is to take the NJ Transit train ($6.80) 5 mins the Newark/Penn (NOT NY/Penn) stop where PATH takes you in about 20-30 mins to the doorstop of the hotel for $1.50 (or a cheaper 10-ride pass). The Exchange Place station is very nice and clean commuter stop and you are arriving in a newer business area, generally quiet. You will be astonished at the view of the Big Apple, even a view in the distance of Ms. Liberty. To get to Manhattan you just simply step back on the 24-hour PATH trains going about every 5 mins directly to major tourist points in NY (33rd-Madison Sq Garden or WTC). The PATH is easy to find and simply with only 4 PATH destination trains, if you take the wrong one chances are you're one train back to the hotel anyways. Steps next to the hotel is a quiet and clean pier you must take memorable view pictures from.

Hotel: The desk staff was very friendly and quick to accomodate my 7pm arrival. The sundry shop is very small and I don't think they even sell potato chips! But a short 2 block walk is a fabulous East Coast style deli with a full buffet of delicious, fresh, inexpensive food, plus any little necessities you may need. There is also a short trip to 33rd by PATH to a Big KMart next to Madison Square Garden. (!?!) Of course, inside NY city is a Duane Read on every block for drugstore items. At the Hyatt has an easily acessible valet area. The decor is just what to expect from a Hyatt Regency. There was a computer on a podium with internet for free just next to the business center which I found very convenient.

Rooms: Elevator service very prompt. The entire hotel seemed clean and fresh. My room was on the 6th floor facing the Times Square ball drop and I assume the former WTC towers. The Empire State building was also in full sight. Straight down is the water of the Hudson. Gorgeous postcard panoramic views unlike anywhere else. Entryway was nicely appointed with a ottoman type seat and mirror. The bathroom was roomy (unheard of in NY at this price!) with large mirror over a stone countertop and basic toilet & shower/tub. Double beds were comfy pillowtop mattresses with art deco bedding and down filled comforters. Ansel style portraits of NYC on the wall. Chic as usual for Hyatt. There was a good sized writing desk but somewhat oversized for the room. Two chairs: executive and lounge. Plenty of lamps in the room. Windows open to the Hudson. Two phones. Coffeemaker included (pod style with single use cafe cups) and fridge. I had put up for standard incidentals but no minibar in my room. NY daily paper at your door every morning. There were those pesky door gaps but didn't notice too much outside or neighboring room noise, something I'm picky about.

Dining: There is the Vu Lounge and Restaurant. Best city views here. Food from the lounge was good and not overpriced (for pubfare) but interesting not the most attentive or knowledgeable server was with me that evening. My drink was not good (had a foo-foo drink not made very well). My initial hostess was very gracious but had to go back to the fine dining area for their guests. There is a cigar bar at the lounge also. For alternative options there is the deli for breakfast a quick 2 blocks walk. Similarly close is an Au Bon Pair and a nicer lounge and grill. $15 Pancakes at the hotel was too rich for my taste, so I opted to take the stroll for a deli breakfast with fruit for $5.

I will definitely recommend the Hyatt Jersey City and come back for many more stays. Top notch in my book!

What a View

We stayed for four days over the Christmas holidays. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was certainly large enough (larger than most NYC rooms) and the bed comfortable. Yes, the walls are a little thin but most hotels are these days. The view of Manhattan is out of this world and having THE PATH train next door makes the trip in to the city very easy. From the WTC station you can go anywhere. The VU restaurant was over-priced and the food average so I wouldn't eat there. There are other restaurants in the vicinity. (Uno Chicago Diner). The area around the hotel is under construction but when completed that area of Jersey City will be quite nice. I would certainly stay there again for the price and the accessibility. Shop at the local malls because there is no tax on clothes and they have the same designers you find in Manhattan, for a lot less!

Excellent hotel for NYC visitors

by TripAdvisor Member luriae

We stayed over New Years. In reviewing hotels in NYC, the room rates were tripled at some places over new years, and these were for some hole in the wall that was old, dirty, smelly, and the size of a dorm room closet...but, in the city nonetheless. We took a chance staying at this hyatt in jersey city and LOVED it. The hotel was new, clean, the rooms large, the staff courteous. The hotel is literally right on the river and the view both from our room and the pier outside is amazing. We had an incredible view of the fireworks over new years. The hotel bar is just average, they allow cigar smoking inside which was an added bonus. We actually did not eat at the "The VU" the hotel restraunt. The hotel also has a very nice small pool and excellent fitness center. There are internet jacks in every room if you bring a laptop, or in my case, I used their computers in their business center for a small fee ($5). The concierge was actually helpful.

The hotel is literally right next to the PATH train station. The PATH goes right across the river in just a couple minutes. It goes directly to the world trade center site in lower manhatten, or you can take it as far uptown as 33rd St. The only downside is that after around midnight, the PATH train runs only every 30 minutes, so if you stay out late, it can sometimes take an hour to get back to this hotel.

The only other comment is how to get to this hotel from your airport. If you fly into Newark, it is a short trip by taxi or you can take the PATH train and spend a whopping $1.20. If you fly into Laguardia as we did, the cab ride can run $75 or more. So, I recommend you either rent a limosine (which may actually cost less than the cab) or take a cab to the world trade center site and then take the PATH train across the river--we did this on the return trip and saved $50. For some reason, NYC taxis will not take you to jersey from the airport on the meter, and the rate goes astronomically high once you cross the river into jersey.

Lastly, one of my friends who lives in manhatten recommended not exploring jersey city on foot. The area on the river was very safe, but supposedly once you go inland some, it becomes somewhat "rough."

Ne plus ultra in NJ

This has got to be the finest hotel in New Jersey. And for $37 a night on Priceline, it is definitely the best value within 100 miles of New York City.

The hotel itself is like a ship, moored along the NJ side of the Hudson offering wonderful views of the New York skyline and upper New York Bay.

My room had two double beds, no connecting door, and was totally silent, even though there were guests in adjoining rooms judging by the distribution of NY Times papers in the morning (this is another excellent touch, compared to the USA Today which many hotels distribute).

There was a strong scent of room "freshener" every day, but the opening windows enabled me to substitute some good old Hudson River aromas in its place.

I'll be back, I hope!

Several problems

Yes, it has a lovely view, but one of the main problems with this hotel is the heating system and the lack of control over it. Although I set it to low temperature, it had a mind of its own, and pumped out hot air regardless (this was in midwinter with snow outside). After a couple of sleepless nights, I found the best strategy was to switch it off altogether and leave the window open. That way I only had to get up once in the early morning - to close the window to keep out the noise of the airplanes. I was staying in the company of colleagues, and several of them had the same problem, so it wasn't just a fault with my room.

You also have to watch out for the extra charges. High speed internet access is a rather steep $9.95 per day. However, the one in my room didn't work, and the front desk advised me that it was nothing to do with them, and I should phone the provider company. Do not use their phone! In the absence of the high speed internet, I made a couple of short (c.2 minute) international phone calls that were charged at $30 each. At least when I complained they agreed that this was exorbitant and wiped them off the bill.

The restaurant staff had difficulty coping with a table of 12 people; service was very slow, and the wrong dishes were repeatedly brought.

Overall very very good hotel. Excellent value.

by TripAdvisor Member bradcnyc

My wife & I stayed here for over 2 weeks so we got to see most of the good and not so good features of the hotel. Overall it is very very good and with rates from priceline between $42-$48 (2 bookings) it is absolutely fantastic value compared to Manhattan hotels.

In my view the positives well outweigh the negatives. This might not be the case for you particuarly if you like late nights in the city when getting back to Jersey is not as easy/cheap as getting round manhattan.

First the positives:
-Very friendly staff - everyone was unfailingly friendly, helpful and polite
-Close to PATH - the PATH underground train to NY is literally right next door, about a 30 second walk from the hotel front door. PATH is easy to use, safe and generally efficient.
- Rooms: Rooms are large and well furnished
- Internet. T-Mobile Wi-Fi in the lobby. Also worked with very low strength in our 4th floor room (lobby is level 3!) but not on higher floors (or i imagine in all rooms on 4 - we got lucky). Wired hi-speed in rooms is $10/day.
- Views. Great views of lower manhattan and statue of liberty from rooms on one side and midtown from other side. Lobby and restaurant views are fantastic.

Negatives
- Location: The immediate location on the riverfront has a number of large modern skyscrapers, mainly offices for banks and financial institutions. This means a large weekday population but after 6pm and on weekends its very quiet. There are a half dozen or so restaurants in walking distance but nothing else to speak of.
- Non-PATH transport. Grabbing a cab from NY will cost you $50-$60. NY cabdrivers are not obliged to take you to Jersey generally dont know their way round jersey city.
- Breakfast: Buffet breakfast is lacking in selection and, for the price, not worth it. Go to a diner in the city.
- Room service menu: Again, not good value. No vegetarian options.
- Smoking is permitted in Jersey restaurants and bars including those in the hotel (this could be a positive for some of you i guess).

Comments