479 Washington Boulevard, Jersey City, New Jersey, 07310, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about The Westin Jersey City, Newport

Westin Jersey City Newport-an oasis

by TripAdvisor Member ironriver

We stayed at the Westin Jersey City Newport for three nights on a pleasure trip. Everything from our early check-in at 11:30 AM on a Saturday to our late checkout and complimentary bag storage was excellent. We really enjoyed using the PATH train just 5 minutes away to enjoy our days and nights in New York City but then coming back to our quiet oasis at the Westin. Ben, the concierge, was just super in handling our requests and all of the lobby staff were very cordial. We also enjoyed the short walk to the Newport Centre mall for shopping and dining. Five stars to the Westin!

Clean

by TripAdvisor Member MeanGoldfish

This hotel looks brand new, the rooms and lobby were very clean and everyone was very helpful. This hotel is right next to the light rail and it is about a block away from the path (which you can take to midtown or lower manhatten).

Rooms have inputs for games and you able to hook your laptop up to the lcd if you have a vga cable. There is a large desk in the room if you are there for business, just make sure you do not take any of those $14 smoked almonds. Showers have the new westin double head sprayers.

Valet parking was just $2 more then parking yourself and if you tell the guys handing out the tickets that you will be returning they wil give you the same number each time, I think that is what caused our bill to reflect only 2 days parking when we were actually there 4.

Over all a good hotel, quiet and clean.

Beautiful hotel, Professional and friendly but unexperienced workers

by TripAdvisor Member Leah1012

This hotel is beautiful. Its been open on 3 months and it is very clean with everthing that you need right there in your room. However upon my arrival I asked the friendly staff reasonable question that they should have known the answers to and they couldn't answer any of them. As I was trying to pick up my keys from the front desk one of the valet parking attendants kept instructing me to move my car, and I asked him where was the parking lot so I can move it and that's when they begin telling me about the parking arrangments. I also asked them why wasn't it posted on web site about the crazy parking situation (two options: $22. per night and pay a fee every time you leave depending on how long your car has been in the lot or pay a $28. flat rate for valet) and they also couldn't answer that question either. My reason for this question was that I had my car and so did my spouse so we ended up having to pay $56. for the valet parking option that ended up being terrible. They promise you that if you call just a few minutes before you are leaving out of you room your car will be out in front waiting for you when in fact this is far from the truth. The first time I called the valet and went down from the 20th floor my car wasn't there and I figured I hadn't given them enough time so it should be there shortly. I waited for 7 minutes (and yes I kept track because I wanted to see how long they actually were going to take) and asked one of the valet attendants if he knew where my car was and he said it was coming. At this point I sat down and was aggravated and saw a man coming out of the room that the valet attendants stayed in with my car keys in his hand. HE WAS JUST LEAVING TO GET MY CAR. It took a total of 12 minutes for them to bring me my car and I was upset because I was in a rush. The second time I called 10 minutes early and still had to wait a couple of minutes when I got down there. The overall quality of the hotel is beautiful especially for how affordable it is for its area but I believe it's wonderful for someone without a car with public transportation very close. If you do bring a car be sure to call the valet atleast 12 minutes before you go down there.

Excellent Location - An Oasis

by TripAdvisor Member shrop

If you want to be away from the bussle of Manhatten, then this is the hotel for you. In a great location 5 minutes from the PATH to lower Manhatten or ferry to midtown it couldn't be better. The rooms are great, typically modern Westin, very comfortable, great beds with stunning views from the higher floors. Hotel staff are weloming, friendly and helpful. Food in the hotel restaurant was very good but over priced and my only complaint about this hotel but the answer to that it to eat in the restaurants close by.

Amazing!

by TripAdvisor Member Chele2512

Decided to stay here after reading the rave reviews with regards to the the hotel and location. The hotel itself was probably the best hotel my fiancee and I have ever stayed in, the quality of the service and the attention to detail is second to none!

This hotel truly is more of a five star hotel at two star prices! The PATH station is literally five minutes away and "IF" there are no delays the ride is about 10-15 minutes into either midtown Manhattan or WTC site.

With that said the weekend of May 15-18, there were constant delays on the PATH...there was one time where we waited for a train at the Newport station for more than half an hour!!

On Sunday the PATH line to WTC was completely closed which was of a great inconvenience since we were trying to get to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. This meant going all the way to midtown Manhattan followed by a subway ride to the Financial District.

It could be that we caught a bad weekend, but sightseers who want to experience Manhattan (day and nightlife) to the fullest extent should really stay in Manhattan and fork out the additional money.

It is extremely hard to sightsee/shop during the day get back on the subway followed by the PATH to get back to your hotel room and get ready for a night out on the town.

For those of you who just want to sightsee during the day and retreat to an oasis in Jersey City this hotel is definitely for you!

Great Hotel; Clean, Safe, Friendly Staff but rooms are a bit noisey

by TripAdvisor Member brownman

We booked The Westin Jersey Newport for a family trip to New York. This was our first time in New York and we wanted to stay away from Manhattan as we heard the rooms were really small in Manhattan (not to mention expensive) This is a new hotel. very clean and safe. It's adjacent to the NewPort Mall (Macy’s/Sears/JC Penny) and only a couple minutes walk to the Pavonia/Newport PATH station stop. The PATH system is not linked to the NYC Subway system via a day pass and you have to buy a separate ticket at the PATH station and a separate one for any subway travel in NYC. Only one machine will take cash, the rest take debit and credit cards. The PATH train takes you straight under the WTC site. Beware that Saturday and Sunday service is limited and goes to the 33rd street station in Manhattan.

The hotel was very clean and the service was great. Very friendly people and the staff always said hello when we walked by. The rooms were spacious and upgraded. I booked through Priceline and got the same great service as everyone else (except the room could have been better). I called a day ahead to ensure that I got two double beds. Jehu checked us in efficiently and Mathew brought our bags in promptly and explained all the amenities of the room. As other travelers have said, if you move any of the snacks or drinks, the senor will count that as a charge to your room so be careful.

The area is very safe and has minimal notice and traffic. There are a few restaurants and hotels surrounding the area. The rooms have a large plasma HD TV with tons of stations. There is also a Starbucks coffee machine in the room. The washroom was a decent size and the toiletries were really nice. We called a couple times a day for extra milk, tea, coffee, and toiletries and had no problem getting what we needed.

Checkout was also very efficient and we checked out after the normal check out time, no rush to check out. The only problem with the room, and hence one less star, was that you could hear the neighboring room flushing their toilet and any hallway chatter and movement. The walls are thin. The A/C is also quite noisy. Nonetheless, a great stay!

Wonderful stay, great location, great value!

by TripAdvisor Member n6766j

Stayed here for the weekend. Great locale just minutes from the PATH trains to Manhattan. Large, well maintained rooms, with all the amenities you would expect from a Starwood property. Had a issue with maid service. We placed the DO NOT DISTURB sign out and maid straightened out room anyway. My wife and I left both our our laptops in the room. Front Desk and Housekeeping apologized, but offered no compensation. Wireless internet would not connect in the room although signal strength was adequate. Large shopping mall, grocery store and club warehouse in walking distance. Great view are afforded those that have a Manhattan View. And the beds? My wife wanted to take it home...and we have a brand new one already! Will stay here again for sure!

Perfect base for Manhattan, Awesome stay! Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member Zan5hin

Just finished a 15 night stay booked through Priceline after bidding $85 a night. It was extremely easy to get to/from Manhattan and we went into the city nearly every day. The area is very corporate, very quiet at night, never had concerns with safety even when coming back on the PATH train at 1am.

All the staff were very friendly, and I was placed on a Starwood Preferred upper floor just because I previously registered an account at SPG.com, even though this was my first stay ever at a Starwood property. We easily got a room with two double beds after I called them first thing in the morning on the day of check-in. We received a room on the construction side of the hotel, I forgot that a previous tripadvisor reviewer said to request the other side. After a few days a double opened up on the other side and we were moved from the 20th to the 23rd floor and also had a view of Empire State Building which was cool. The amenities were excellent, the beds, the soaps and other products, and the double shower heads alone are worth staying here. The 3 hours a day of free wi-fi in the lobby was excellent, comfortable seats, very fast speeds, and I used it frequently for research before we left for the city, or in the evenings. During the 2 weeks I did not have a need to purchase in-room wi-fi at all. I was able to download my Aussie Rules footy games and a few TV show finale torrents at 500kb/s. Absolutely Brilliant!

The new Fire and Oak restaurant just opened on the 31st of May and my travel partner had a fantastic meal there last night with a dozen oysters, fillet mignon and huge apple pie and said this new restaurant made a huge difference. If it was open for the previous 2 weeks we were there, we would have dined there frequently as the prices are reasonable.

My only complaint about the whole experience was that the swimming pool is not heated. I cannot compare it to Manhattan hotel rooms as this was my first stay in the area, however I rate the Westin in Jersey City very highly and when visiting NYC I would book here again in a heartbeat.

Perfect location!

by TripAdvisor Member seventynine

You just get what you really need.
I need a comfortable, modern, clean and quiet room.
In Manhattan, if you're looking for this kind of room, you just pay for the location of the room.
I've spent so much sleepless night in Manhattan beacause of the noise of the street, the poor quality of the windows...
In the Westin, you're just 15 minutes away from City center using the Path Rail. Ok, it's not icluded in a Manhattan day card, you have to pay extra for this ride, but with the money you save for the extra luxury in the hotel, it's worth spending more in the transportation.
The hotel is also near Newport Mall, which has a lot of shops with the regular prices. You know Disney store and Abercrombie on the 5th avenue? Just go to Newport Mall, the merchandise is the same, but the prices are the regular ones, not those you pay for the 5th avenue location!
We didn't use the restaurant and breakfast facilities, as it seemed to be a little bit overpirced. Instead, we went to the numerous restaurants surrounding the hotel and the fast-foods in the mall.
My tip is to take a walk on the Hudson's shores near the hotel at night.
It's very peacefull and quiet and you have incredible views of Manhattan's skyline by night for free!

Believe the good reviews

by TripAdvisor Member travelquest1

Stayed their for the 5 Boro bike tour. Jersey City friend recommended the Westin. Just open three months. Very pleased with everything - especially the staff.

look ma we found a Target, lollook ma we found a Target, lol

The boys building a skyscraperThe boys building a skyscraper

Liz couldn't finish it all......Liz couldn't finish it all......

Me & Liz @ BrownstoneMe & Liz @ Brownstone