Bridgestreet House

More about Lambertville

Historic DistrictHistoric District

The Marshall HouseThe Marshall House

Mark crossing the DelawareMark crossing the Delaware

Resortmaps.com walking guide to Lambertville. NJResortmaps.com walking guide to Lambertville. NJ

Travel Tips for Lambertville

Lambertville

by nicolettart

If you are in NYC or NJ, Lambertville is a great day trip. There are so many interesting little shops selling all kinds of things, from antiques to pottery to handmade soaps. I was so thrilled in a kitchen shop when I found a great can opener (yeah, little things make me happy, like the bath fizzies I found in a soap store!!)
I love the the "village" feel of the town and the old stone buildings, which date to George Washington's time.

Moravian Tile and Pottery Works

by nicolettart

The Moravian Pottery and Tile Works, a National Historic Landmark, is maintained as a "working history" museum by Pennsylvania's County of Bucks, Department of Parks and Recreation. Handmade tiles are still produced in a manner similar to that developed by the pottery's founder and builder, Henry Chapman Mercer (1856-1930). Mercer was a major proponent of the Arts & Crafts Movement in America. He directed the work at the pottery from 1898 until his death in 1930.

At first sight, the building resembles one of Antoni Gaudi's structures, with curves and tiles set into the stucco, with towers rising above the roof line. You can tour the factory for $3.50 and the gift shop sells tile samples.

Lambertville - It's Just Across The River

by littlesam1

"The Forgotten Sister"

Lambertville, New Jersey's main claim to fame used to be that it was just across the river from the much better known New Hope, Pennsylvania. While New Hope was known as a haven for artists, New Age folks, and Motor Cyclists, Lambertville was much overlooked and ignored. Considered sister cities sharing the shoreline on either side of the Delaware River, Lambertville was by many the forgotten sister. However today Lambertville has done much to overcome that reputation. It now competes with New Hope for tourists with its many restaurants, shops, and bed and breakfasts. So if you visiting New Hope, take some time and walk across the bridge to Lambertville. Its worth the walk.

Before you ask, they little guy sitting at the train station in the picture is not me. Its also not any one that I know. He just happened to be sitting there when I took the photo. I did not even realize he was in the photo until I uploaded and posted it here on VT. I could lie about it and say its me. But then if you look at my other photos and you would realize he is wearing a different shirt than I am in the other photos. So lets just pretend its me and move on to the tips.

LAMBERTVILLE-Antiques;Quaint Streets & Depot Redo

by VeronicaG

"Lambertville Station"

Lambertville, New Jersey is a charming little town, which lies in the West central part of the state. It is located across the Delaware River from New Hope, Pennsylvania. While Lambertville draws those folks wanting to search antique stores, wander quaint streets and dine at interesting restaurants, New Hope is more of an artsy town filled with shops offering incense, jewelry, clothing and other hip things.

Lambertville Station is a restored train depot that has been transformed into a unique restaurant. Formal dining is offered on the second level of the restaurant, while a more casual family-friendly atmosphere can be found on the entrance level off the lobby. While you are waiting to be served, the kids can peer out the oversized windows and watch all the interesting people walking past. It worked for us!

Here's a tip: If you think you would want to visit New Hope, park at Lambertville Station lot and walk over the bridge spanning the Delaware River--its a short bridge with a sidewalk. The parking lot charges a moderate fee to park, while in New Hope parking is almost impossible to find.

"Lambertville Station Restaurant"

After seeing the antique shops or walking the back streets of the town, we head for the Lambertville Station Restaurant. We've dined here many times and have never been disappointed in the meal! (see restaurant tips)

"Kid Things To Do"

Outside the old Lambertville Train Station are the remains of its glory days--my son took the kids to walk the rails while we waited for our table. The tracks have been abandoned for years, but seem to hold some attraction for kids!

Lambertville: artsy-fartsy on the Delaware

by feline01

Lambertville is a quaint town the lies on the banks of the Delaware River directly across from New Hope, PA-another artsy-fartsy quaint town. You can overdose on cuteness in one day between these two places. Seriously, I do enjoy visiting them both and have done so since I was a child taken their by my parents. The weekend crowds are a bit daunting so we tend to visit anytime during the year except for the summer. It's not a high-stress destination, just the opposite. It's the type of town to meander with interesting shops, cafes and walks. The Delaware River provides a nice backdrop for any walks as does the Delaware canal where a well-groomed canal path lets you get away from the Volvo's and Saab's circling the town like hawks looking for parking.

Comments