301-311 East Edgar Road, Linden, New Jersey, 07036, United States

Satisfaction Poor

• AliscaW's Profile Photo

Loved our stay here!

I really enjoyed my stay with you on June 30, 2012! The room was perfect. After a long day of driving, this was the perfect stopping point. We checked in late and the lady at the counter was so sweet. Please make sure to thank her again for me! We were all well rested and ready for a day of sight seeing in and around New York.

Unique Quality: Sweet lady up front set the tone for a happy stay! The room had a very nice flat screen tv, big mini fridge, microwave and was very clean. The bathroom was huge and clean too!

Directions: From Newark airport it was about 15 minute drive south, on the right. Next to a cute Diner!

• Worst motel EVER!

I told my husband that they could have made a good comedy out of our experience similar to the Out-Of-Towners, that old movie with Jack Lemmon. The first part of our trip was uneventful. We got to the Orlando airport in plenty of time to get checked in, and then we just went to the gate to wait. We also made it onto the airplane with no problem. That all changed when we got to Newark . The plane we were scheduled to go to Norfolk on, which was the last plane of the evening, had become overbooked and we couldn't get on (Continental only flies small planes into Norfolk , so there's probably a good chance that it's normally full). When we asked about our luggage, we found out that it had gone on to Virginia without us. We weren't too happy about spending the night in Newark , a very crime-ridden and expensive city. Then we had several different people tell us that all of the local hotels were booked up due to all the European tourists that were stuck in the states because of the volcano. One agent told us we'd have to sleep in the airport. I've never slept in an airport, and I didn't want to start now. I couldn't envision not being able to bathe or sleep in a bed. We finally had another Continental agent tell us that there might be rooms available at The Swan. The name sounded nice, but I got the impression that it wasn't going to be all that great because crew members get rooms there because they're cheaper than others around. You can easily spend 100+ a night in Newark on what would be considered an ordinary hotel room that you might pay 40-50 for anywhere else. I don't get why such an undesirable city would cost so much to visit. So anyway, we found out that they picked people up from the airport on an hourly basis, so we waited 1/2 hour for them to come for us. They wanted 80 a night for this place. We had never seen such a dive in our entire lives! The window in the lobby had bars on the window because the clerk didn't want to be murdered, I suppose. I paid for our room, and then I asked if the room had the usual stuff (tiny shampoo & conditioner bottles, blow dryer, etc). I was told it was just a basic room with no add-ons. They had a vending machine next to the lobby window where we could purchase tiny shampoos and shower gels for a buck apiece. I couldn't get conditioner, toothpaste, or toothbrushes in it, although they had several rows of condoms. When we got into our room, the room was barely wider than the bed, and the bathtub was right next to the bed! I'd never seen anything like it. The tiny bathroom just had a toilet and sink. I think we were very lucky that there was toilet paper in it. I was paranoid that bullets could come flying through the wall or that the bed could have bedbugs. I examined the sheets very closely, but I didn't see anything crawling on them. We didn't feel safe trying to walk anywhere in search of food, so I ordered a Domino's pizza online with my laptop and had it delivered. They didn't even have a single plug in the room (it was a very old place that opened in the early 50s), so I couldn't charge my laptop. We hated putting the same old clothes on in the morning, but at least we'd been able to bathe, and we rinsed our mouths out with shower water and tried scrubbing our teeth with our fingers to get them somewhat clean, and then I had cinnamon gum to help with our breath. The next morning the van took us to the airport. The area was so bad that we'd go by homes that had graffiti spray-painted all over them. I don't think I even took any pictures of New Jersey because I found it all so ugly; well, at least the part we were in was. That's the first time I've had to spend a night in New Jersey, and I'm hoping it'll be the last.

Comments