1 Ocean Blvd, Long Branch, NJ 07740

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Ocean Place Resort And Spa

Don't go to Ocean Place

by TripAdvisor Member Travelling_Angel

I stayed at Ocean Place Friday and Saturday nights, and the hotel is terrible. The room was tiny and had a double bed, even though I had requested a king sized bed. The bathroom was so small, I had to plug in my electric toothbrush on the towel rack. Service was slow, putting it mildly -- every request took over 20 minutes or more to fulfill (like, please send up a bellhop with a dolly). It is way overpriced, and the food is terrible. The only thing they didn't screw up was the beach, and that's because they don't own it.

The reason I went to Ocean Place was because I went to a wedding there. The ceremony was delayed for over 1/2 hour because Ocean Place hadn't set up the ceremony area on time. I hope the bride and groom get a refund!

Run, don't walk, from this dump!

Never again Ocean Place !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Miami1

We stay in Mai 2006 for 3 days in the Ocean Place.Already by check in was the staff very confused.We booked 2 Rooms over a Travel Agency in this Hotel,but the Manager sad "You booked only one Room".After a discussion from 10! minutes we get a 2nd Room.The best is coming now! 20 days after our departure,i get a bill from the Hotel over $115,-??? for a second payment from resort fee!The hotel booked the rate simply from my Credit Card!Until today,(Sept.)I didn't get my money back.-I'm not amused!- Otherwise the rooms was ok and clean.The bathroom is a little bit small.We had a good overlooked from the balcony to the sea.The location at he hotel is great.(very nice restaurants with a good seaview).

ocean place conference and resort, staff not accomodating

hotel great, stayed before, price a bit high for the rooms, and staff could not accomodate with a later checkout, did not bend at all.

Proceed with caution - some plusses, many minuses

by TripAdvisor Member TikkunOlam

Much room for improvement here - what they need is competition.
I would not have chosen the Ocean Place, but for the fact that I had many objectives to fulfill while traveling with family.

Plusses: rooms were clean, service very friendly, right on the beach, near some ok restaurants

Minuses: hotel maintenance is severly lacking, it's really showing its age, rooms and food are way over-priced, the spa was clearly an afterthought. I've been to other resorts in this price range and there's no comparison. The Ocean Place gets away with charging what they do because they have no competition.

The Service has Slipped

by TripAdvisor Member kerkak

This was the second year we stayed at Ocean Place Resort the weekend following Labor Day. We arrived on Friday expecting the same great weekend, location and service but what a disappointment. We arrived to find out that there were no beach chairs, beach umbrellas or towels available because the hotel no longer provides that amenity after Labor Day. Their only concession was to delete the $12 resort fee & say we could buy chairs and umbrellas at Kmart. We eventually negotiated a 30% rate reduction, which we accepted, but heard other guests having the same conversation with the staff. Then, on that Saturday our room was not cleaned until 4:30 in the afternoon after being told someone would service our room by 3:00. While we did stay the weekend and the weather was beautiful, this will be our last year at Ocean Place.

A Very, very pleasant surprise/book early for best rates

by TripAdvisor Member Babs54

After reading reviews for Ocean Place, my husband and I were quite hesitant to honor our reservations. We are glad that we followed through with our plans. We are seasoned winter vacationers to most of the Carribbean and Mexico. For years we have been spending a summer week at a beachfront motel in Point Pleasant Beach. The setting got old and we started searching for a more upscale resort on the Jersy shore. We are delighted to report that Ocean Place is that resort. It is truely the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The staff is friendly, polite, accommodating and professional. Our oceanfront, king room was spotless and comfortable. The food was superior to meals served at other fine hotels. But alas, Ocean Place cannot control the weather. Two of the four days were not sunny. We visited the spa. We each received a facial. Although we have had better, the spa experience was acceptable. The rates may seem high for a Jersey shore resort, but what you get for the price is well worth it. The beach is clean and right outside the hotel. Vacations are meant to be hassel free and that is what is offered here. Beach towels, lounge chairs and umbrellas are supplied for all guests. Rest and relaxation is the order of the day. We highly recommed Ocean Place for a summer get away that is not a world away, yet makes you feel as though you are.

Overpriced, overpriced, and did I mention, overpriced?

by TripAdvisor Member maroulni

Stayed at the Ocean Place for two nights over the busy fourth of July weekend. This hotel seems to have a bit of an identity crisis - it purports to be a luxury hotel but is not luxurious in any sense - nor is the service particularly good.

Pluses: The lobby is fairly new and very well done - lots of granite, an atrium ceiling, and pretty fountain. Similarly, the grounds on the beachfront side are very nice - lots of pretty places to sit and enjoy a cocktail, a nice outdoor dining space, etc. The lobby and area surrounding the boardwalk were the best parts of the hotel. Nice spa toiletry items in the bathrooms. Maid service was efficient and friendly.

Minuses: The interior of the hotel itself is not luxurious at all. The elevators are ancient, slow and dirty, and the rooms are just basic. Front desk is amateurish and seem to have their defenses up from complaining guests who must have preceded you. Finally, the VALUE of this hotel is very, very poor. The rates charged are insane, and are what you would expect for a true 4/5 star resort, not this partially renovated inn.

Terrible Sunday Brunch

Celebrated a special birthday with Sunday Brunch - it was terrible. Cost was $40 per person plus a 20% gratuity automatically added to the bill Total for 7 people was $360.
We went up to the serving area 20 minutes after the Brunch began and had to ask for plates, there were no more eggs, bacon, hash browns or French toast out . Waited on line to find the omelet chef was out of ham and no replacement came while the seven of us waited for omelets to be prepared. The waffle maker was broken and after waiting for a replacement to come out there was no syrup. Cheese and appetizer type items were still wrapped in plastic and there were no serving utensils out. No bread available for the toaster. "Viennese table" consisted of a chocolate fondue tower with fruit and two cake items - one of which had one slice and crumbs remaining. Emailed the manager who responded by telling us that they were a bit "rusty" and suggesting that we go back again and give them another try someday - of course, for an additional $360! Too bad we didn't read a review already posted which says forget the brunch - even when included for free with a room.

Nice hotel, great location

by TripAdvisor Member 1105Marco

Pluses:
Great location next to very good restaurants, shops and NYC
Safe
Clean
Friendly staff
Great boardwalk and beach
Always able to get chair and umbrella at beach
Nice white chairs for sitting overlooking ocean
Palm trees all over the property
Attractive outdoor seating for restaurant w/red market umbrellas
Fast elevators
Nice toiletries

Minuses:
Partially renovated
Broken lock on balcony door
Broken toilet holder
A little pricey
All phone lines busy except hotel operator
Crowded and messy gift shop

Depends on what you want

by TripAdvisor Member VoiceoftheMadman

My wife and I stayed in this hotel because of a wedding. I had little contact with the staff but found my limited interactions to be satisfactory. I had two problems with the hotel only one of which is actually the fault of the hotel.

Too be upfront I can't stand the Jersey shore, but that is not the point of this review. The hotel does happen to be in probably the nicest part of the Jersey shore that I have ever visited. There is a great deal of new high end shopping surrounding the hotel. This hotel has some nice features such as an outdoor and indoor pool as well as a hot tub. The hotel Bar is nicely decorated and comfy but drinks were overpriced.

The room was spartan, no frills and no fridge. The welcome basket consisted of a bag of doritos, bath salt, and a mini milkyway.

The biggest drawback for us was that this hotel is wildly overpriced considering what you get. In fact it cost us more for one night at this hotel than one night all inclusive at a resort in the Winward Islands.

As an aside, they seem to do a great deal of weddings and there were at least three weddings and some sort of conference going on all at the same time. To my knowlege, and to the hotel's credit, our party suffered no ill effects.

Bottom Line: If you like the Jersey Shore, don't mind paying top dollar for the hotel, and are in the mood to shop till you drop a short distance from New York City then this is the place for you.

If you would rather get the most for your money look elsewhere.

Recommended Beach Town

by plsugar

Looking for recommendations on a Jersey Shore beach town for stopover on a road trip from Providence to D.C. We heard Cape May is nice but it seems out of the way...

by SusieQQ

New Jersey has many different beach towns, each with a unique atmosphere. Do you want quiet...Spring Lake (springlake.org) is a beautiful, quiet beach town with a few good restaurants. I highly recommend the Hewitt Wellington Hotel. check out their web site at hewittwellington.com. Do you want a commercial boardwalk?...Pt. Pleasant might suit you (pointpleasantbeach.com)...Do you want a large oceanfront hotel...Ocean Place in Long Branch comes to mind, web site oceanplaceresort.com...these are along the northern Shore, so will be easy for you to access.

by novillero

Don't forget that you can take a ferry (with your car) from Cape May to Delaware

Cape May is a really beautiful town with nice Victorian B & Bs. Otherwise, you might want to give more info about what you want from a shore town. There are the more relaxing towns, to the more busy with boardwalks, etc.

by VeronicaG

Hi. If you haven't decided on your beach destination yet, I'd still suggest Cape May. You received good advice on visiting this wonderful Victorian town in New Jersey. We love it and go as often as possible to visit.

Avon-by-the-Sea is also a wonderful Victorian town--it's small and very family friendly. It's our favorite beach in New Jersey. No rowdy goings on here! If you want more lively fare, right next door is Bradley Beach--a very busy place! These destinations are about 1 1/2 hr. from NY city in Central NJ. We live in Central NJ and it takes us two hours to get to Cape May, but 15-20 minutes to drive to Avon-by-the-Sea or Bradley Beach.

There is also Long Beach Island--very pricey but very popular with New Jersey folks. It's not as far south as Atlantic City or Cape May. I hope you find a great place to visit!!

Comments