1125 Village Dr, Millville, NJ 08332

More about Millville

Mexican dancers in MillvilleMexican dancers in Millville

Hellenic Dancers from VinelandHellenic Dancers from Vineland

Mexican dancers in MillvilleMexican dancers in Millville

Local art displayed amongst cozy seatingLocal art displayed amongst cozy seating

town photos...

by lehingrat

I am looking for Millville or nearby residents collecting old pictures of the town
My home was on 16 North second street a hous which doen't exist anymore next to the funeral home(my daughter was born at Millville Hospital)and after 2 years work at Arc,I came back to France but I would be happy to see Millville again one day"the Holly city"...so long

Re: town photos...

by asturnut

I take lots of pictures throughout Cumberland County. I'm actually working on a project documenting the wooden ornamentation of the old Victorians in the Millville, Vineland, Bridgeton and southern New Jersey area. I don't have any older pictures in my collection (sorry) but if you'd like to see some recent pictures of the area, specifically of houses, check out my pictures. You can find them at www.flickr.com/joygant Some of the pictures are in the set called "millville" others are found in the set called "historic porches... " Hope you enjoy them.

Travel Tips for Millville

Beautiful Old Homes Downtown

by asturnut

I love some of the old homes downtown. A few of them have been, or are in the process of being renovated and restored. Unfortunately, as in the case of many old homes they have been ravaged by time, subdivided, or worse yet, threatened with demolition. We still have many lovely homes around the area of High and Main Streets.

The South Jersey Pumpkin Show

by asturnut

Every year, mid-October, Millville hosts the South Jersey Pumpkin show at the Cumberland County Fairgrounds. If you happen to be in the area during that time and you have children, you may enjoy a little slice of life by enjoying this local yokel activity. Agriculture is a big part of our economy in Cumberland County. Every year my daughter is impressed by the HUMUNGOUS pumpkins on display. Admission is $2 general admission and $1 for senior citizens. This outdoor event features games, crafts, food, etc and pumpkins of course!

Millville

by asturnut

"Millville, the Holly City"

In the past 8 years I have seen such a phenominal improvement downtown it has left me virtually speechless. A few years ago, when I first heard about Millville's plan to "revitalize" downtown I thought it was a hairbrained scheme that would be fruitless. I expected nothing more than an embarrassingly lame attempt would be made to make downtown seem like a cool place to shop again. I vastly underestimated the foresight of the planners of this project.

Downtown Millville, High Street is metamorphasizing into a chic, artsy place that intelligent people with expendible income want to be. The art galleries, coffee shops, pubs, boutiques and you-need-a-reservation-to-eat here restaurant are all stylish and appealing. There's even a "spa-lon" and yoga studio. The whole project has come off really nicely. It feels authentic and not too pretentious. I was sure that at the very least the revitalization effort would come off as contrived, but I was mistaken. This is the real deal. High Street is a really nice place to visit. It will be wonderful when the effort is complete and the empty store fronts are restored. Soon, the washed up "5 and dime" feel will have been erased from downtown.

Millville is tangible proof that when a group of motivated citizens get together they can really make a difference. The state has finally gotten behind Millville too, and has enabled the city of Millville to become the home of the NJ Motorsports Park. The racetrack will funnel money into downtown Millville and bring much needed jobs to this economically depressed community.

"Turn of the century architecture in Millville"

Residential downtown Millville, like my hometown Vineland, is full of wonderful examples of late 1800's early 1900's architeture. Unfortunately this is a very economically depressed area and many of the homes have fallen into disrepair or have been subdivided. But there are several grand old homes in town which are still maintained in all their glory. These houses, with high ceilings, huge bay windows, turrets, horse-hair plaster walls, wood floors and large rooms and secret spaces are architectural wonders that harken to a better time when quality counted for something.

Interesting history about Millville can be found at this site: http://www.millville.org.
Millville's official website: http://www.ci.millville.nj.us

"Tiny neighbor- the village of Cumberland"

I live in next tiny village over from Millville, Cumberland. Cumberland doesn't appear on most maps it's so small. I lived in this county for over 20 years and had never heard of Cumberland until my (now) husband invited me over. (When he gives directions he doesn't even bother trying to explain we live in Cumberland, he just tells people we live in Millville, which is the next town over.) It's especially confusing because we live in Cumberland County and when I tell people I live i Cumberland they want to know where in Cumberland and they look at me like an idiot like I don't know where I live. The reason for this is Cumberland at the very southern tip of the county in the middle of Peaslee Wildlife and Game Reserve. It's very beautiful, unspoiled and remote. There are only 111 houses in village, which range from upscale custome built homes, to dilapidated trailers that are perpetually being tacked onto. There's no school, police station or stores. We have a gas station and a volunteer fire department however, and the only reason we have the firehouse is to protect the game reserve from forest fires, which are common. Other than Peaslee Game Reserve (which is beautiful) there is no reason to visit Cumberland, which is exactly why we live here and love it!

More from the Arts District

by asturnut

This Glasstown Plaza is a nice place to sit and relax when you're all tuckered out from shopping. It's nicely appointed with benches, lamp, mosaics and a fountain. Good for people watching. Can be accessed from High Street and Buck Street.

See my travelogue about the Rusty Heart and the Secret Garden. The Secret Garden is a super cool must see shopping spot.

The Levoy theater is an old theater on High Street that is in the process of being renovated. It has been an expensive and protracted process, but they are making progress.

Millville is a smallish town of about 30,000 residents. I find this alley sort of odd for such a small town. Can't quite figure out why it's there.

A view of some of our restored beauties on High Street.

Millville has it's share of churches. 2nd Street, the next block over from High Street, is the home of the biggest and oldest churches in Millville (and the historical society seen far right, cut off.) Millville has 7 Methodist churches!

The day-spa on High Street certainly has a funky appeal!

Comments