Best Western Robert Treat Hotel Newark

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• NewarkDevil's Profile Photo

The Robert Treat Hotel

The Robert Treat is probably the nicest choice with an absolutely incredible (but rather pricey) restaurant downstairs called Maize. It is across the street from the NJPAC and has a great view of Military Park which has an underground parking garage below it. It is also practically next door to the New Jersey Historical Society--a little museum with interesting New Jersey artifacts. Another variation on Maize (also very pricey and just as good) is Arthur's Downtown on in the Military Park Building on East Park Street (a block south). Across the street from Arthur's is the PSE&G Plaza, which has summer night concerts in its amphitheater. Go a little further south on Broad Street and you'll come to the National Newark Building where there is a Starbucks for your drinking pleasure. Three blocks to the northwest of the hotel is the Newark Museum. Two blocks north of that is Bears and Eagles Riverfront Stadium. The Robert Treat is really in the middle of everything Newark has to offer.

More about Best Western Robert Treat Hotel Newark

Robert Treat Hotel Off De Hook

by TripAdvisor Member Kita75

I stayed at this hotel from Novmber 10 - 12 and I totally enjoyed myself. My first impression about this hotel started when I called for the hotel Shuttle and Brian answered and I told him my party was at Newark Penn. and we needed the shuttle to come and pick us up......... Without a paused he told me he would come a get us because the shuttle driver wasn't there at that time. If that isn't excellent customer service I don't know what is. He wasn't one of those people who said "that isn't part of my job desscription" and for that Brian needs some props from his employer!!!! The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. It is only Nov. 13th and I am already planning my trip to come back in May and hopefully there is another show for me to attend.....I RECOMMAND THIS HOTEL TO EVERYONE!!!!

The reviews I read before staying at this hotel had me thinking "Did I make the right hotel choice"......Heck Yes, I made the right choice!!!! SEE YOU ALL IN MAY!!!

Maize Restaurant in the Robert...

by NewarkDevil

Maize Restaurant in the Robert Treat Hotel. My parents took me here for my birthday last summer and wow was it exquisite. It is probably the most expensive restaurant in Newark (which puts it in about the same price range as your average NYC eatery) but the food was as good as I've ever tasted. Even my parents, who used to frequent Bouley in downtown Manhattan (before 9/11) and LeCirque in midtown, were eminently impressed by the new age American/French food served here. My advice to anyone who eats there is to order anything on the menu, it'll be great but when it comes time for dessert, get either the creme brulee or the chocolate souffle.

Nightlife in Newark consists...

by NewarkDevil

Nightlife in Newark consists of Theater, clubs,sports, and a select few restaurants. The best none Portuguese nightclubs are on or off Mulberry Street. There is one on Clay Street in the North Ward as well. Theater generally revolves around the NJPAC, Newark Symphony Hall, and PSE&G Plaza's summer night amphitheater events. Restaurants include Maize (in the Robert Treat Hotel), Arthur's (across from PSE&G Plaza) and Theater Square Grill (in NJPAC) on the high end, Euphoria Cafe and some bars in the middle and low ends. Ferry Street has its own unique night life revolving around its Portuguese and Brazilian populace. There are Newark Bears games (Atlantic League--unaffiliated minor league) and the nearby Meadowlands provide Devils (NHL hockey), Nets (NBA basketball), MetroStars (MLS soccer), Jets and Giants (NFL football) among other things.

Good Stuff Cheap - Newark to NYC

by TripAdvisor Member PaWeekender

I was looking to do a fairly inexpensive trip to New York City for a weekend in December to see the City during Christmas season. After finding Tripadvisor and getting quotes for hotels in NYC there was no way I would be able to stay overnight. I looked at subway and train maps to/from the city and found out that there is a train that goes from Newark Penn Station to NYC Penn Station at 8th Ave & 31st Street / 8th Ave & 33rd Street for $4 each way (approx. 15-20 min ride).

I then found out through user reviews and links on tripadvisor that the train station is in walking distance to the Robert Treat Hotel. I do not like to stay in an unclean and unfriendly hotel, if I am only going to save $50 over a much better place. After much debate over whether or not to go the #1 or #2 rated higher priced hotel in Newark or go to the #3 rated Robert Treat Hotel for $50 cheaper, I found that the customer written reviews were a big help and that is how I made my decision. They backed up the fact that the Robert Treat Hotel was a simalar experience to a bigger more costly chain hotel.

I am also very appreciative of how TripAdvisor has set up the website to automatically pop up hotel pricing websites of your selection, including the hotels, for comparison in pricing to one another. We ended up paying the same just using the hotels website to book reservations, and ended up paying $99/night for a room with a king size bed. With taxes, convenience charge, etc. our room ended up costing $111 and change.

Upon arrival at the hotel, it was to much surprise that the hotel sits in a very nice section of the city, and the street which it is on is not a commonly traveled street. You can park along the curb with not having to worry about your doors or mirrors being ripped off, you can have the hotel staff park your car free in their lot, or if you are planning on leaving your car for a while you can conveniently park in the underground parking garage accoss the street (accessed off the same street).

The garage is very big, well lit, and has security gates and guards at each entrance so you shouldn't have to worry about anything being broken into or stolen. The garage has an entrance right into the hotel. On this level you have (all nice and clean) private excercise/fitness room, private breakfast room, and a private computer room with several pay to access computers, printers, and internet.

Up the elevator or stairs one level and you are in the main Lobby area where there is a Restaurant and several large ballroom/meeting type rooms.

One the hotels website while making reservations, they offer the "I prefer" guest reservation program so that you can choose from several preferences that you would like for your stay such as a room close or far from elevator, a room on a lower or higher floor, etc. (if available at time of check-in). I was pleasantly surprised that my wishes were granted when I end up on the 11th floor away from the elevator.

Now the big moment, how is the room going to be? Wow, gigantic king size bed and a very nice, fair sized, clean bathroom. Everything is almost brand new as if it were just renovated. We found that we did not hear any noise during the night coming from above or beside us so obviosly our room was insulated pretty good. All of these things together along with a comfy set of pillows and clean sheets offered my girlfriend and I and very sound sleep. In addition the hotel offers free internet access in each room.

More info I gathered while reading reviews was that the hotel offered free shuttle service to/from the Newark Penn Station and/or Newark Airport. And, yes this is correct, and the shuttle service was quick and courteous.

Reviews also said about having free breakfast, which they do (on the parking garage level). They also have the restaurant (within the hotel) open in the morning for breakfast which has food made to order that you pay for. Both were great, and a very nice extra for someone without transportation.

All and all, I was very pleased with this hotel, and will be planning many more trips to NYC now that I can depend on this fairly inexpensive classy hotel as my place for an overnight stay . I do not consider myself high class with my nose in the air but I expect the luxaries of a higher class hotel, and this hotel certainly did the job for us and is why I felt compelled to write such a long detailed review.

Highly Recommended - We Had A Great Stay!!!

by TripAdvisor Member MAKEAMEMORY07

After reading the reviews left for this hotel and the area it was in my Mum and I had great doubts before we travelled from the UK and nearly cancelled our reservation. Thank goodness we did not !!
We had a fabulous 10 day stay at the Robert Treat Hotel. We choose this hotel for it's location primarily as we were attending the Bon Jovi gigs at the new Prudential Center only 3 blocks away and travelled into Manhatten each day on the train for sight seeing.
The hotel staff were efficient and friendly and the free shuttle bus both from the airport and to nearby Penn station was a fantastic service. We felt very safe around Newark and walked back both nights from the Prudential Center. As with everywhere now we kept to the main roads and had no issues for concern.
Our room was spacious, well appointed and VERY clean. The bathroom was spotless and toiletries were always available. The room had a safe and coffee making facilities and a bonus we found when we arrived was the guest lounge where a great free breakfast was served and from where you could get a hot drink and a comfy chair anytime of the day or night - yes, hot chocolate after a great concert with other guests was a fab way to end our evening !!!!
Travelling into Manhatten each day was easy and very cheap with the Transit train going into Penn station Manhatten - walking distance to Times square and Macys and the Path Train took us to The World Trade centre site for only $1-50. We used the subway to get around and were treated so nicely by the New Yorkers we met - some of whom freely helped us when we were unsure of where we were going - I only wish the people back home were as friendly!!
We had a stunning visit and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great hotel at a great price to explore Manhatten from and would return here with no hesitation with family.
Thank You for some great memories - we are so glad we did not cancel !!!

There is lovely in Newark

by TripAdvisor Member lemongrrl

I needed to be in NYC for business and the hotel I originally booked cancelled my reservation due to overbooking. In a last minute, teary-eyed panic, I combed the travel sites to find a hotel I could afford in the NYC commuting area on such short notice. Unless I wanted to be in Long Island or Suffern, Robert Treat in Newark seemed like my only hope. I cringed at the thought of Newark but it was my only viable option.
It's a good choice and one I will strongly consider in the future.
The downtown area of Newark near the arts center is lovely, which I wasn't at all expecting. The hotel is across the street from a park and the view from my room was much nicer than expected. From what I had seen of Newark in the past, I expected rundown homes, graffiti, shooting in the streets, muggings everywhere, etc. I was pleasantly surprised. That's not to say I would stroll around alone, especially at night, but it's not really a concern since the hotel provides regular shuttle service to Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station. From the later, you can catch the PATH train into Manhattan that runs every 4 to 6 minutes during rush hour, costs $1.50, and gets you there in 20 minutes. It's a very reliable train unlike many other methods of public transportation into the NYC area.
I found the hotel to be lovely as well. $90 per night in Manhattan buys you a crusty room at the Y or some other hostel-like residence. At Robert Treat, you get a nicely-sized, well-decorated room with all amenities. I can't speak enough about the decor, which is a modern art deco and not the run of the mill, three star hotel-kind with cheap faux paintings and flowery upholstery. There are flat screen televisions, a frig, valuables safe, and really all of the things that good hotels provide in each room.
The staff is so-so but by no means terrible.
All in all, a nice, affordable alternative to staying in Manhattan. Highly recommended!

Great for a tourist sightseeing in NYC!

by TripAdvisor Member Floridka

We stayed at Robert Treat in October of 2007 for four nights. We chose this hotel because of its proximity to Newark Penn Station, which whisks you to the heart of Manhattan, World Trade Center subway station in just 20 minutes for only $1.50.

We paid $115 a night, which was a fantastic deal over hotels in Manhattan and Brooklyn, which for the same price could offer only bed bugs’ infested, drug dealer and prostitute by the hour renting clientèle. Anything comparable in Manhattan or Brooklyn would have cost us in the neighborhood of $200-300.

A huge convenience is the hotel’s shuttle bus, which runs 24 hours a day between the hotel and the airport and Newark Penn Station, which takes you to Manhattan in 20 minutes. Although the hotel is only a few blocks away from Penn station, and you could easily walk there during the day, I would HIGHLY recommend taking the shuttle or grabbing the taxi after dark. This is not a neighborhood you want to be walking in after 5 PM.

The shuttle supposedly runs every hour on the hour and sometimes every half hour, but I would recommend calling the hotel from the Penn Station or the airport as soon as you arrive and telling them that you are waiting to make sure it actually picks you up.

If you decide to grab a taxi from the Penn Station it will cost you around $5 (probably less if you bargain with them or make them go strictly by the meter), and the taxis are always readily available at the entrance.

A quick note: if you are going to World Trade Center, when you arrive at Penn Station, make sure you catch PATH line. It is a NJ-NY line which takes you the heart of Manhattan in 20 minutes for just $1.50.

Hotel has a complimentary breakfast which consists of coffee/tea/juices, sweets and cereals. There is also a restaurant that serves full breakfast, but it will run you around $30 for a couple, so if you can wait, grab the complimentary breakfast and head for Manhattan where you can get a much better deal and an authentic NYC experience.

Hotel staff is friendly. They might not be as friendly as what you are used to in Small Town, America, but you have to understand that this is NY and people just don’t smile as much as the rest of the Nation does. We had a couple of maintenance requests (the safe was locked and we needed a modem cable). Both requests were satisfied momentarily and with the smile, so I can say overall we had a very good experience.

The room itself was a LOT better than we expected for the money and the area. It was spotlessly clean, staffed with everything you might want: refrigerator, freezer, hair dryer, iron with iron board, two arm chairs, two desks, flat screen TV and nice comfortable beds. Everything was very comfortable and modern looking.

CONS:

1. We got lucky and had no one staying in the adjacent rooms for most of our stay. But on the first night we had neighbors and when they were talking, moving or using the bathroom it was as if they were in the same room with us. The walls are paper thin. So if you sensitive to the noise, make sure you bring some serious ear plugs.
2. They tell you that they have high speed wireless internet in the rooms. THEY DON’T. My laptop did not detect any wireless networks in any corner of the room at any time. My boyfriend’s laptop (which has both A and G WiFi, which I understand is not very common) picked up a hotel network, but it was so slow that it made it unusable. However, they have room modem connections, so if you borrow a cable from them and plug in, you can use the internet. It is still rather slow, but if you just need to check your email it will do. There is also a business center downstairs with a few computers, so there might be a better speed connection there. We came to NY for sightseeing, so high speed internet was not a priority, but if it is important to you, you might want to look for another hotel.
3. There is no bathroom ventilation, which is apparently common in NY, but to us was an inconvenience, and something to get adjusted to. As for why no bathroom ventilation is a problem (especially when a bathroom is adjacent to a small room where you spend all your time while there), I will let you figure out on your own. :)

I gave this hotel a rating of 4.0 because despite minor drawbacks it served our needs perfectly and at a very reasonable price. Its proximity to the metro station which took us to the middle of Manhattan in 20 minutes for only $1.50, its cleanliness and friendly staff make it a fantastic place to stay when viewing NYC on the budget.

Nice place and great value!

by TripAdvisor Member here_kitty_kat

I stayed at Robert Treat for 5 weeks September through October 2007. My stay began when I had difficulty booking accommodations in Manhattan where I had begun working. I ended up staying at Robert Treat during the week and returning to my hometown on the weekends until I was able to get an apartment. This was a very good arrangement for me.
The hotel is very nice. Having been in 5 different rooms, I will say there's some variability (I would give tips by room number but didn't keep notes). The typical room has a TV, frig, desk, dresser, mirror, safe, alarm clock, ironing supplies, ice bucket, and phone. The hotel is very clean. Most rooms have flat screen TVs, but I had 2 rooms that did not so if it’s important for you to have a flat screen, you need to request it. HBO and many basic cable channels are offered. Rooms facing the front of the hotel give a nice view of the park across the street and downtown Newark. The back of the hotel gives a view of the Passaic River and Manhattan in the distance.
There are multiple WiFi connections. Like with WiFi in most places, the connections faded occasionally, but I was generally able to listen to Sirius Internet Radio over it without problems.
The hotel decor is nice. It's modern - not overtly masculine or feminine.
Breakfast is complementary. I heard great things about dinner at the hotel's upscale Maize restaurant but never had a chance to eat there.
It's actually MUCH easier to commute to the NY Financial District or the Herald Square area from Newark than from many places in NYC. It takes 20 minutes and $1.50 to get from Newark Penn Station to WTC on PATH. The hotel shuttle to Penn Station and the airport runs every 30 mins in the morning and I NEVER had a problem catching it. Coming home from work, I would usually walk from the train station to the hotel to pick up dinner along The Gateway, which is a shop-lined walkway connecting the train station to various hotels and high-rises. If you get to the train station late, you can call the hotel and ask for the shuttle to pick you up.
I was VERY afraid of Newark at first but the area around the hotel and arts center appears safe and I never had a problem. While I would certainly use caution after dark, it's not terrible. There’s a police station nearly next door to the hotel across the street from the arts center.
Never had any problems with noise during the 5 weeks I was there.
This hotel is a total value and I highly recommend it.

by TripAdvisor Member krapug1

My Sister and I wound up spending 2 weeks at the Robert Treat when we got the call our Mom was failing, and she passed during the first week of our stay. The Hotel's Manager (Wilson) went out of his way for us, and we spent the 2nd week in the Suites on the 15th Floor. The Hotel is spotless clean, and I appreciated the 24 hour fitness room and guest lounge on the lower level. The restaurant, Maize, is excellent and is now run by a restauranteer family from the Ironbound. On my next trip to NYC this is where I'll be staying.

Newark Accommodations?

by rmdw

In the middle of July I have friends flying into EWR. Late in the evening! I've looked at my options and think it best to just stay at one of the hotels in Newark for that first night.

So I searched Travelocity for what's available. I like using their site to examine hotels because of the individual traveller's reviews - similar in principle to here on VT.

Two hotels seemed interesting:
- Robert Treat hotel
- Wyndham Newark hotel

I'd love to get further opinions from VT members of these or other hotels (say less than US$110/night).

Robert W.

Re: Newark Accommodations?

by Easty

The area around Newark Airport is hotel city. Most of the hotels are located on US Routes 1&9. All the major chains such as Econo Lodge, Sheraton, Ramada, Days Inn, and Holiday Inn are there. Wyndham Garden Hotels are a little bit more fancy and would probably be above your spending limit.

by rmdw

So no experience/knowledge of either of the hotels I mentioned?

Robert

by Easty

I live only 40 miles from Newark. So I do not usually stay in Newark. Recently, I have been working in the area mapping out streets in the loxcal aewa. So I am telling you what I saw in the area. Both hotels you mentioned are in good areas. I know for a fact that Wyndham Hotels are expensive. The one by my house runs about $130 a night. The only hotel I really know about is the Marriott which is in the middle of the airport. The hotel charges about $160 a night. Very nice with a restaurant and very convient to Newark Airport.

Re: Newark Accommodations?

by joesorce

For the Wyndham, check the website for "Webrates" special...it will be lower than the Travelocity rate!

Hi Joe,

When you say "Check the website for 'Webrates' special", which website are you referring to?

Robert