Gateway Center - Raymond Boulevard, Newark, New Jersey, 07102, United States

Booking.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• No, thanks!

Degrades the Hilton hotel name. Found rose petals just swept under the bed - not from my party, of course. The rooms smelled like decaying bird - which there was outside the window.
    I left my iPod and charger, called the next day and the housekeeping department said to call and they'd mail it when we got home. Called, and now it is "lost"?... I'm stumped.
    Oh, and it says it has a pool. No pool - which disappointed the kids.

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Better Than Expected

March, 2006 marked my second stay at the Gateway Hilton (the first back in 1995); both stays were for business. The hotel seems to have changed and is nicer than I recalled. Check-in was relatively simple, my room was spacious and clean, and there was a minimum of noise.

Bentley's, as well as Market Street Bar & Grill, are on the premises should you need a bite to eat.

A courtesy bus also runs between the hotel and Newark International Airport.

Unique Quality: There's a swimming pool, believe it or not, though I didn't have the chance to check it out. When checking in, the staff was kind enough to give me access to the concierge level, where they served complimentary wine in the evening and complimentary breakfast in the morning. The morning of my departure, I did dash up there for a quick breakfast. They were offering water, coffee, juice, bagels, pastries, and quiche. It was more than adequate.

The location is fine for a quick jaunt into NYC -- it's directly across the street from Penn Station.

The area is a bit desolate in the evenings, though.

More about Hilton Newark Penn Station

Newark's Penn Station

by b1bob

This is the last New Jersey stop for Amtrak and New Jersey Transit. Newark's Penn Station, near where we went out on the town Monday 29 December 2003, is cavernous and ornately appointed like 30th Street in Philadelphia.

Check out...

by feline01

Check out www.panynj.gov/newarkairport for all information related to Newark International Airport including the Airtrain that runs from the Airport to downtown Newark Penn Station.
Newark City Subway or local buses. Check out www.njtransit.com for more information.

Great Hotel ~ Great Location!

by TripAdvisor Member Jaie

Planning a weekend in NYC is a fun but expensive venture... So a friend suggested we stay just outside the city here at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. Reading the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor made me a little leary but we decided to go with the personal recommendation. We are VERY GLAD we did! Location was EXCELLENT ~ we took Amtrak from DC to Newark Penn Station & literally walked across the street to this great hotel! Of course that meant we had only to walk back across the street to catch the train into New York City...! Rooms were very nice and clean and comfortable. Hotel was very nice. Hotel staff friendly & professional. Though we got a decent rate online when making the reservation, I called a couple of days ahead and got a slightly better rate (so give that a try!) We didn't eat at the hotel but did stop in the bar for a drink after coming in from NYC. Drink prices were what you expect to pay in a hotel (around $9). The bar had a very laid back and pleasant atmosphere ~ the bartenders were great! My daughter & sisters & I enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend this hotel as a great place to stay just outside the city!

Good alternative to NYC hotel rates and taxes

by TripAdvisor Member tantalus

I stayed here three weekend nights in October for $132 per night the first two nights and $147 for the third, including taxes--these were AAA membership rates. The only human I interacted with was the woman behind the front desk at check-in who was professional and friendly, helping me with a problem I had with my Hilton HHonors membership. The public areas were unremarkable. The hallway carpeting on my floor--the eighth--had some stains or bleach marks. My non-smoking room was a good size, nicely furnished. The bathroom was also of a good size with two sinks, but the toilet was too close to the shower/tub. The outside of the window looked as if dirty water had been sloshed on it and there were scuff marks or paint marks on the panel below one of the bathroom basins; otherwise the housekeeping was excellent. I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant. The two best things about this hotel are (1) its connection by a pedestrian bridge to Newark's Penn Station, where I arrived and left on Amtrak and took NJ Transit or the PATH train for twenty-minute rides to Manhattan and (2) its weekend rates plus taxes are half or less than those at comparable Manhattan hotels..

Unbeatably convenient

by TripAdvisor Member DoeHEAD

This is the place to stay if you don't want to fuss with NYC hotel charges and car storage. Even though it's still pricey by regular world comparisons, it's so remarkably convenient that the cost is a reasonable trade-off.

The lobby is connected with the Penn Station concourse, from which there's direct rail access (1) to Newark attractions--the new stadium, the Performing Arts Center, the airport--(2) to Midtown and Downtown Manhattan, as well as Jersey City and the Hoboken ferries via PATH trains, (3) New Jersey Transit's commuter train network and (4) to Amtrak's entire Northeast Corridor service.

My hotel room was comfortable, modern and clean. The staff was cheery and helpful. And even the proximity to major highways allows for easy in and out, without having to deal with Manhattan tunnels and bridges.

One more point: there's a surprisingly good-for-grazing selection of vendors in Penn Station that offers excellent off-hours food for un-inflated prices.

Low Class Hilton

by TripAdvisor Member mydirtylaundry

The location is great, because of the Penn Station, and that is about it. The staff was nice as well, but the problems outweighed the staff. That big of a hotel name and facility there are just some problems that are not expected. Check in, I believe, is at 3pm, but I spent a day in New York before getting to the hotel to check-in. I got there a bit after 7pm to see a pile up of mad people by the registration desk. All were waiting for their rooms. I too had to wait because they overbooked the hotel and the rooms were not yet cleaned. Some people had been waiting there since check-in and they were MAD. I went and had dinner at the restaurant right across from the desk. The staff in their was awesome, but not the food. Finally after about 6 1/2 hours after initial check-in I got my room. I hate to make this claim, but I do also believe that there were BED BUGS. After lying in the bed I was itching for over a week. I was fine before getting in the room, but not after checking out. ALSO something you may want to consider if you are a NON-smoker and will be staying here. Before getting your non-smoking room be sure to ask for a room NOT on the floor that used to be an existing SMOKING floor. When I was checking in there was a gentlemen who came to the counter complaining that his nonsmoking room smelled like smoke. The receptionist insisted that it was a non-smoking floor and all they could do was have someone come in with some Febreeze to mask the smell if he would like. Some ladies were leaving the Restaurant and overheard the complaint and had said all their rooms smelled like smoke as well, and they were all on the same floor. After they all left the lobby the receptionist said to me that they shouldn’t smell smoke because it has been about two years since they changed that smoking floor into the non-smoking floor. I wish I could remember what floor it was, but if you care…ask. Best of luck on your Hotel search, IF I were you I would book a room at the Hyatt in Jersey City, you can get a good deal on Priceline.

Hated this bunker

by TripAdvisor Member ValterNF

It was my second time in this hotel. The previous was bad, this time was a nightmare. The shuttle bus driver that picked me up in the airport was tremendously rude and even asked directly for a tip in the middle of the journey! Personel was unprepared and couldn't solve the normal problems. I asked for a non-smoking bedroom and guess what? They gave me a smoking one.
The toilet seat was broken! The bath tube was dirty. I booked this hotel below the counter asking price and still it was tremendously overpriced. Imagine paying the standard rate! That would be robbery.
The location is good. Excellent means of transportation, but still it is a bunker. Sad, dark and industrial.
Never will return!

Great Deal

by TripAdvisor Member Sunseeker23

We stayed here Oct. 20 - 22nd. We had been on a cruise and unbelievably tired when we got there at 12.30pm. This lady at check in got us in ASAP for a king room. We were thrilled, but when we got to the room it was non-smoking and we smoke. She got us changed even though they were full. She was wonderful. We ate at the restaurant and it was very good and reasonably priced. I do agree they could do some soft renovations to the hotel, like the carpets and walls, but it was pretty good. The beds and pillows were wonderful and the shower had great pressure and heat. The best part of this hotel though is the location. Can't beat it as you don't even have to go outside to get to Penn station. The price was great and I would stay here again and again. I am a travel agent, stayed in many places and I was impressed overall. I am not a picky person though, but I found it to be a great deal.

Newark Penn StationNewark Penn Station

Newark Penn StationNewark Penn Station

The Walk From Newark's Penn Station.The Walk From Newark's Penn Station.

Transportation from Newark Penn Station to Newark Airport

by Edwerd

How do you get public transportation from Newark Penn Station to Newark Airport and why is it so difficult to find such information on the internet?

Re: Transportation from Newark Penn Station to Newark Airport

by nhoolb

Try:

Re: Transportation from Newark Penn Station to Newark Airport

by travelmad478

The simplest way is to take the bus: NJ Transit bus #62 goes from Newark Penn Station to the EWR terminals. You can also take a NJ Transit train from Newark Penn Station to the EWR Rail Station. From there, take the monorail to the terminal.

It's not difficult to find this info on the internet--www.njtransit.com is the main site for public transportation in NJ. That's where I got the above bus information. The official EWR site is at www.panynj.com (Port Authority of NY and NJ owns the airport) and they also have a whole page's worth of ground transportation info for EWR: http://www.panynj.com/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_transportation.html

Comments