Newark International Airport, Newark, New Jersey, 07114, United States

Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Great airport hotel

My husband and I stayed here on our night in Newark. We had a flight the next day. This hotel is very close to the airport and there is a shuttle that is only 5 minutes from hotel to airport and comes every 10 minutes. Its a beautiful top end hotel, big fancy lobby, nice restaurants( although a little pricey, but the italian one was really good, my husband and I had dinner there). The rooms are comfy and large although you can hear people turn their water on and that was loud when you heard it , but thankfully we didnt hear much of that. The rooms were quiet and we had a nice comfortable stay there the night we stayed.

Unique Quality: Great restaurant, comfy rooms with comfy duvet and lots of pillows.

Directions: Exit 13A off of NJ turnpike, follow around the terminal as though going to airport, look for signs. you basically circle around the airport before coming to marriott. We valet parked our car.

More about Marriott Newark Liberty International Airport

Very solid and comfortable Airport Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ThWilmesi

Stayed in June at this hotel for a conference. Had an overall pleasant experience. Good sized room with ample storage space as well a bathroom of decent size. Room had been well maintained and clean, good housekeeping service.

Restaurants in this hotel are rather on a good side - they have a pretty good Steakhouse ( pretty high priced) as well as an Italian Restaurant.

Shuttle service continously and every 15 minutes, can't complain about that.

Overall good experience and I would choose this hotel again when staying in the Newark area

Quiet and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member BaltimoreFlyer

I stayed in the spring here and was able to get a great weekend rate, even though I had to work the whole weekend. I have stayed at both Courtyards at the airport and they are very noisy with the aircraft approaches and departures. This was really quiet! No airport noise at all! While I would probably not pay $200 for a room here, if you can get a good deal on a room, or if airport noise bothers you, this is a great place to stay.

Am I reading reviews about 2 different places????

by TripAdvisor Member visualgirl

I stayed at this hotel because of an early flight from Newark Airport and it was one of the only hotels listed on the airport website - I didn't know there was more than one hotel on airport property. I figured if it was a Marriott, how bad could it be? I was a business traveller, so I didn't have to pay for the room and it was only for one night. I only got nervous after making my plans and then reading the reviews here about the hotel. And BOY was I worried - after taking note of all the negative reviews, I didn't expect a nice stay.
My impressions? It seems like people were talking about 2 different places. My experience was very different from many of the reviews.
The front desk service was friendly and accommodating - I asked for and received- on the suggestion from another reviewer- a room on a higher floor with an east facing view. Bell service was friendly and very helpful.
My room was not large but it was very clean and perfectly acceptable. The furnishings were newer, very nice and not shabby in the least. The king size bed was by far one of the most comfortable I ever slept in - in a hotel - with beautifully soft linens and comforter cover. A nice throw was over the bed as well. It was surprisingly quiet and the airport activity outside my window seemed like a silent movie with all kinds of things to watch down below and the Manhattan skyline ahead.
The bathroom was clean with nice amenities and a great shower and water pressure - a huge shower head was a welcome surprise.
There was coffee maker but since I don't drink coffee, I made tea and it had a yukky coffee flaver - not the hotel's fault.
Broadband was offered @ $9.95, packaged along with unlimited long distance anywhere in the US. Too expensive! I think an option would be to pay half that for the broadband alone or at least offer wireless for that price. I was stuck at the desk with my laptop while I would have preferred to lie in the comfy bed.
I went down to the bar for a cocktail and decided to have a quick bite while waiting for a friend and had only a bowl of soup. Tab for 2 cocktails, the soup and a tip? $34 and change. Ridiculous. BUT the bar was very nice in an old school way and the bartender was quite courteous (except he didn't give me a cloth napkin when he served the soup. Nor did I receive crackers or bread - I had to ask for it and when the bread was served, the waiter had to tell the bartender to give me flatware and a napkin. That was weird, but after the first cocktail - not much really bothered me.)
I used the pool which was cold, not heated. The pool & jacuzzi area seemed clean and properly attended to. Plenty of towels were available. The sauna in the locker room did not work or I couldn't figure out how to work it, although I followed the instructions posted on the wall. The locker room was kind of dumpy and out dated.
Overall, though, I was perfectly happy and very comfortable and would recommend this hotel to anyone staying at the airport.

Great Inexpensive Way to Visit NY City

Cost: We got an extremely inexpensive rate using my husband's corporate rate by calling the hotel directly. Staff: The entire staff was extremely friendly which was a pleasant surprise considering we’re from the South and often find people in the North East to be less than friendly. Our overall assessment of the Staff was excellent. One staff member went as far as to give us the local way to travel into the NY City for less than $3.00 a trip. Accommodations: The room was extremely large and clean. The hotel has an excellent bar/lounge with excellent ambience and was a nice change of pace from the fast pace of NY City. Location: If you don’t mind spending 30 minutes commuting into NY City this is the place to stay if you’re willing to travel like a local. Transportation from Hotel to NY City: If you’re adventures and traveling with a male the following is a cheap way to get into the city. Take the hotel shuttle to the airport (5 minute ride) and tell them you want to catch the bus into the city. They will drop you off at the bus stop before the terminal or at terminal where the bus will pick you up. The bus will take you to Newark’s Penn Station where you’ll take the PATH train into NY City. You don’t need to change trains if you’re going to the WTC stop or you can make one change and get off near Times Square. It’s easy to use and navigate. The bus cost was $1.25 pp one way and the PATH train cost was $1.50. We got into the city for less than $3.00 pp. The only draw back is that it takes about 30 minutes to make this trip, you can spend $7.00 and take the train from the airport to Newark’s Penn Station and save yourself 15 minutes, but, we took the local option. The bus passes through some depressing areas of town getting to Newark’s Penn Station but at no time did we have any safety concerns. There are a lot of people who ride the bus late at night from Newark’s Penn Station to the airport (airport workers) so there was no concern about returning via bus late at night. Once back at Newark’s airport call the hotel shuttle and they will come and pick you up. Overall: This was one of the best trips we’ve had to NY City and spent 1/5 of what we would have normally spent simply by having patience and staying in Newark versus spending NY City prices for a match box hotel room. The Marriott at Newark Liberty is the way to go…

Good place to stay the night before an early morning flight

My wife and I stayed there for one night. We were flying out on our honeymoon early the next morning. There is a lot of highway construction around the airport and we did not want to take the chance of missing our flight. I have previously stayed in several hotels around Newark airport. This hotel is the closest hotel to the airport, it is also the quietest one, and it is by far the the most expensive one. Would I recommend it? Yes, if you want a clean, comfortable, quiet, well run hotel next to the airport and you are willing to pay a premium for it. Would we stay there again? Maybe, but the price would have to be lower.

Comfy beds, professional staff, excellent airport hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member Paddyoyo

Full marks to the Marriott in Newark Airport for making my 3 night stay very comfortable. The first night was a noisy one with lots of doors slamming shut around 4am on the 5th floor so sleeping was something of a challenge. The next day the very patient front desk staff were glad to move me from the 5th to the 8th floor, changing rooms two more times until I got one which was quiet and didn't smell like someone had been smoking in it. Both the rooms I used had very comfortable king beds and were spotlessly clean. Outstanding. Good cleaning staff are worth their weight in gold and my thanks go to those at this hotel. The view over the airport and across to Manhattan (see photo) was very pleasant and the soundproofing was excellent. Planes took off in total silence every couple of minutes. The hotel also has a nice pool and gym area and a business centre for accessing the internet. The bar is comfortable, if a little on the pricey side. Breakfast was lovely with fresh juice on demand, a varied buffet of fresh fruit and pastries etc. and courteous staff who made good efforts to accommodate my slightly quirky tastes. A shuttle bus comes around every 15 minutes or so to connect with the airport from where you can catch a train to New York or a bus to the nearby Jersey Gardens shopping mall. I found this to be a well organised, clean and comfortable hotel with thoughtful staff and a good base from which to visit New York while avoiding the extortionate nightly rates charged by Manhattan establishments. Naturally, it was also a great place to start from when catching my flight out of Newark at 8am.

Won't Go Back

by TripAdvisor Member SeaCliffer

I stayed at this hotel three times in 2006, all have been just one night stay. The rooms are OK for business travelers, typical of hotels near the airport. My problem is with the quality of the food they serve in the hotel restaurant: it's terrible. But, since there are no restaurants near the hotel that is within walking distance, and if you don't have a car, you're stuck with eating at the restaurant in the hotel.

During my most recent stay in September 2006, as before, I ate dinner at the hotel restaurant. I ordered fish and chips, salad, and beer. During the night, I had an excruciating stomach pain, and had to get up repeatedly to use the toilet. I am an experienced traveler, and had traveled extensively in the US and abroad. I don’t recall ever having problem with eating at a hotel restaurant.

I wrote and complained to the Marriott. One of the managers at the hotel responded indicating he investigated and found NO problem with the way food is prepared in the restaurant.

I will not go back to hotel in the future.

Very Unhappy Customer

Great place to stay before a flight

by TripAdvisor Member bembridge

Without any doubt, this has to be the most convenient place to stay if you need somewhere to stay before an early morning flight out of New York’s Newark Airport in New Jersey.

It is literally slap bang in the middle of the airport. I noticed when taking off from Newark that the terminals are in a semi-circle and that the Marriot is in the centre of that.

The hotel shuttle bus runs 24 hours and it took me about 7 minutes to get the Terminal where my Virgin Atlantic flight was leaving from. I was, though, quite hard to get to the hotel when I was dropped off by my car. We seemed to drive around it a lot before getting to the actual entrance.

The location is the hotel’s main benefit. Other than that it has 2 other strong points in my view:
1.The Marriot beds and pillows which I think are fantastic and really comfortable.
2.Silence. It is amazingly quiet considering the location. You hear no air traffic at all. Pity the air conditioning is not as quiet!

The actual hotel is a bit jaded and must be heading towards needing refurbishment. But it is perfectly fine for one night as the rooms are a good size, with a decent sized desk and very fast internet access (Costs about $10), and clean bathroom. The carpets are a bit worn and the furniture dated but fine and clean.

The fitness centre, with pool, was a bit disappointing as the equipment was not in great condition and the centre was fairly worn. You can get a good workout there though.

The food is also okay, but not great. If you are there for one night it is not an issue, but if you had to be there for longer it would as without a car there is no other option than the hotel.

Overall, I think that staying here any more than one night would be frustrating. I am not sure why one would as you could go into the city. But the price of the hotel is very reasonable and saves you a lot to stay here the night before a flight as not only cheaper than being in the city, but also so hassle free to get to the terminals. I got at least an important extra hour sleep by staying at the hotel, and will do it in the future without doubt.

You can see a video I made of the room I stayed in (Room 505) by copying and pasting this link into a new browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg5y-Hq5Moo

Much nicer than anticipated

by TripAdvisor Member MEGATRAVELER

Stayed here for a week - much longer than most travelers, who are usually just spending the night before or after a flight. Found the property to be immaculate, the staff very friendly and helpful. Only tried the Italian restaurant - which is really more of a coffee shop - and found the food and service to be more than adequate. And considering there are limited options as to restaurants - it isn't all that expensive. We kept rather 'odd' hours due to business meetings and housekeeping was great about servicing the room and not disturbing. Lovely pool and fitness center. Fast and efficient shuttle to all terminals - and to the Airtrain link to NJ Transit if you need to get into NY City. Amazingly the only complaint I had was with the soda vending machine on my floor - it wouldn't accept dollar bills and it wasn't repaired the entire stay. And best of all - not the slightest sound of any airplanes - very well insulated. For $9.95 per day extra, we got unlimited broadband, local and long distance within the continental US - not a bad deal if you're doing a lot of phone work. Got a great 'long stay' rate on the Marriott website.

Comments