Ramada Plaza Hotel Newark Intl Airport /EWR

Orbitz.com Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Andreja86's Profile Photo

Good airport hotel

Ramada Plaza is typical airport hotel.
    It is situated in the north end of the airport and if you are lucky you'll get a great view of New York City

The hotel seems very old but well functional. We those this hotel because we needed a place to stay on our first night in USA and we didn't want to drive too much after a long journey.
    It wasn't difficult to get to the hotel from the airport by car but it was due to our preparations. You should know the directions before heading off. There is also an airport shuttle.

The check-in was really fast - no problem there. Our room seemed really nice in the beginning. There was a huge flat screen and the bed was ok and clean.
    It didn't seen that professional since there was some old stuff, a bit dirty in the corners and the lights was a bit inefficient. But overall we was satisfied.

The bar served us some great food. I had a burger and it was a nice way to start a vacation since it tasted really well. We ended up paying $30 for 2. Not that expensive - not that cheap.
    The small kiosk was open 24/h. I was a bit dissapointed to see a apple as the only healthy thing they got. They also had a mix of nuts but there was surprisingly m&m's included.

The people in the bar was really kind but some of the others who worked there didn't seem to care about you.

The wireless wasn't great and didn't work at nights.

We would deffently go back if we should need to stay in Newark airport again.

Directions: Look at google street view

• Stay in Manhattan Instead

The good news is that the sheets and towels were clean. The rest, is bad news. Our toilet did not work properly and after two calls to the front desk in two days, it was eventually fixed. We waited for the hotel shuttle (The Holiday Inn Roller Coaster) at least 30-45 minutes everytime we took it whether we were leaving the hotel or trying to get back to the hotel. The hotel is only 4.4 miles (about an 8 minute ride) from the hotel. By the way, the hotel is next door to Northern State Prison: http://www.state.nj.us/corrections/cia/nsp.html
    Just thought you might like to know that since we nor anyone else did when we checked in. The hotel staff was not knowledgeable about the internet system at all. All they would say is, "We don't manage that through the hotel so I don't know anything." Shouldn't the staff know something about a service they offer? The elevators...they had three total. They only worked correctly two of the five days we were there. One stopped at every floor, one was stuck on the fifth floor, and the last one was stuck with the doors open. The two days they did work, they were almost impossible to use because the service staff ahd them occupied with carts. We never found the stairs, thank goodness there wasn't a fire. As we were checking out, I firmly suggested to the front desk attendant that they put signs on the elevators to let people know they were out and she LIED and said that they had just gone out that morning. The food (we had Teddy's, room service pizza, and breakfast at the Hunt Room) was not very good and over priced. We traveled into the city everyday (it took at least an hour) because that was our main focus of the trip. We choose this location because of the prices and the belief that we could easily (ha) travel into Manhattan everyday. Next time, we will stay in Manhattan and pay a little more...it will be worth it.

Directions: Between Northern State Prison and the Sheraton Hotel

• solopes's Profile Photo

A Nightmare to find

I never had so much trouble searching for a determinated hotel as I did with this one.

I took a taxi from the airport, and he got lost. For almost one hour, with GPS and radio support, the driver made his best, but... it was hard.

The hotel is OK, no airport or traffic noise, good rooms and bathrooms, and an acceptable breakfast.

More about Holiday Inn Newark Airport

Superb Hotel in Newark

by rmdw about Wyndham Newark Airport Hotel

My stay at the Wyndham beside EWR (Newark Airport) was excellent. This is a first-class hotel with great amenities throughout. I can't recommend it highly enough. So many of the staff made great impressions during my stay including Hector at the front desk (who went out of his way to help me locate a package) and one of the room maids. It's clear that this is a well run hotel where the staff truly care.

Theft a major problem!

by TripAdvisor Member gmtsu00

Overnight, my car was broken into and $3000 worth of stereo equipment and jewlery was stolen! When I went to the front desk, the attendant who hardly spoke English paid no attention to me. When I got frustrated she said to me that I needed to speak to her with respect?!?!!?!?! Finally she called security (the one that let this theft happen!) and he came and told my husband that he can't do anything. When my husband said to call the police (what we wanted to begin with in order to file a report for insurance) the security officer proceeded to say [--]you and threaten to MACE HIM!

The hotel and its staff didn't seem to understand the frustration of a customer whom just lost $3k worth of items from their vehicle, not to mention the additional hundreds of dollars done to the vehicle's locks and interior from the Newark CSI's fingerprinting ink. Instead, they said my husband was a trouble maker and KICKED US OUT OF THE HOTEL!!!!!! We called the corporate headquarters and although they agreed with our side of the story said they could not do anything about us being kicked out. As we packed, the security guards stood outside of our room. While we talked to the local authorities the trouble making security guard kept on trying to come over to pick a fight and say we needed to leave in which case the police officer told him to back off because he was interfering with a real criminal investigation. In talking to the police, this evidently was not a first time that car theft had occurred at this hotel. In fact, there were a rash of car theft crimes at that hotel and the neighboring Sheraton and Fairfield Inn's. The criminal was arrested but 2 weeks ago but released the other day. The police officer who was on duty because understaffed was actually a detective and said that most likely it was an inside job in which someone on the premises is tipping off the criminals on the vehicles coming in. Our car is a Lincoln Mark LT pickup truck which consequently shares consoles and parts with the Navigator. Hmmmm.......

So the moral of the story is you can have a nice hotel on the exterior but you put it in a bad location and don't surround it with the security and service necessary to ensure the security of its customers, you shouldn't fool yourself. I am still in shock by the situation; not so much the theft but the treatment we got from the hotel.

By the way, we never got any ounce of empathy from these people. I should have known what I was getting into when the restaurant who posted hours until 2am told me to order quick at 12am because they were closing the kitchen...And then they got the order wrong!

Convenient & impressive

by TripAdvisor Member morningdew4

My family and I spent one night at this Holiday Inn because our flight home was cancelled....... we were all extremely impressed with everything about the hotel:
It is close to the airport...perfect when in a pinch or overnighting, and has free transportation. We had a fast/smooth check-in, and check-out. The room and lobby were clean & fresh, and the beds/furniture were very comfortable. The staff were polite and professional. There was also free wireless internet, and really fast, **great tasting** roomservice.
I would absolutely stay here again when in the area/near the airport, and would recommend this hotel to anyone I know!
Refreshingly, very, very impressive all-around!!!

Unexpected Stay in Newark

by TripAdvisor Member SilverHaze

My family and I got stuck in Newark when our flight home got cancelled. Rather than spending the night at the airport (waiting for our early morning flight) we decided to get a hotel, and we went with the Holiday Inn.

It was close to the airport, maybe a 10-15 minute drive away, but the shuttle service from the airport to the hotel was quite frustrating. Perhaps it was because many flights had got in the same time as ours, or because it was fairly late at night I'm not sure. We had to wait a good half hour for the shuttle, and when it arrived we discovered many other people were waiting for it too. It was a crowded ride with annoyed travelers, which made for a rather unpleasant experience.

The hotel itself was surprisingly nice. I was expecting just an okay place to put my head down for the night, but it was more than that.

The room itself could have been cleaner. My father found something in the sofa bed, for example. Despite the few cleanliness issues, the room was nice. It was surprisingly large, and the decor was pleasant. The ice machine on our floor wasn't working, which was a bit of a nuisance, but we managed without it. The room service was excellent. It was probably some of the best room service I've ever had. The food was quick, and really good, and it was around 10 pm when we ordered.

All in all, for a very unexpected stay, the Holiday Inn came through for us. It was a comfortable place to put our heads down after a long and stressful day. I don't think I would stay there again, but in a pinch it would be fine.

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member prdm100480

Stayed in room 946. Loose and broken tiles in front of the toilet - Disgusting. Shower controls were broken. Was not able to take a shower. Front desk was not interested. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing has been done to remedy the situation. Note Room 946 is on the Priority Club level, ... very disappointing

not as bad as expected

by TripAdvisor Member BelfastGillies

I had read some terrible reviews on this hotel and had prepared for the worst. I stayed here for 6 nights in october with my fiance.
Upon arrival we only had 5 minutes to wait on the shuttle bus and it takes about 10 minutes to the hotel. The only drawback is that there was a few times when coming back from NYC we had to wait up to half an hour. The NJ transit is $30 a day if travelling in and out of the city.
Staff were friendly enoughand the hotel was clean and comfortable. Didnt eat in it so cant say about food.
Overall i haad a good time but if exploring NYC i would stay closer i.e. queens cos its on the subway network and it the same price to stay.

Arrival at Newark at the Start of the Grand Tour..

by Suet

"Meeting Da Imaniac...."

Thur 29th April
Met Roy (Imaniac) at the airport, easily recognisable as he is approx 7 feet tall with 4 inch heels! Realised slight problem, physical height difference meant that he took two steps to my three/four. This made for an interesting gallop across Newark Airport and also throughout the rest of the trip. Didn't lose as much weight as hoped, due to running on heavy fuel such as ice cream and cheesecake (sigh). Took the FREE Courtesy Bus to Holiday Inn Newark Airport, 160 Frontage Road, Newark NJ 07114 tel 973 589 1000. Cost of this one $95.22 per night, booked via internet. Nice, clean, good services. Crashed out and died.

"Meeting Dila and El_holandes"

Fri 30th April
Roy bounced into action at 3.30am (and I mean bounced..) as we were due to meet Dila and El_holandes at 4.45am. They kindly hired a rather large car for us to drive to Niagara Falls (Hertz Rental 973 621 2000) and we shared expenses of around $50 (THANKS Diana and Jose!). This was my first experience of those Sat Nav GPS thingies. speaking with a sexy woman's voice, she gave faultless directions in Dutch and English which was about as much use as a chocolate teapot when trying to find our way out of Newark Airport. However, once we had got on the right road, she proved her worth and she didn't mind the Dutch and English swearwords we used when we got it wrong. The trip up to Niagara Falls was uneventful unless you count Mrs Sat Nav's dulcet tones, and Roy's music choice. Most of the stuff he played would have been better used as Frisbees!. I won't mention the names of the artistes (if that's what they call themselves) for fear of upsetting other VTers. Actually, that's not fair as once he plugged in Macy Gray, things picked up.

Wyndham Newark Airport HotelWyndham Newark Airport Hotel

suggest a budget hotel near at NJ..urgent plz

by prsampath

suggest a decent hotel near at NJ .so that everyday morning i can go to - JACOB K JAVITS convention center- which is newyork ,West Side Highway between 34th Street and 39th Street. (newyork is costly ). iam looking for for budget price . I need to get a decent budgeted hotel for single person stay for about a week. iam in the 11th hour so plz suggest possible with URL & RATES
thanks a lot .

Re: suggest a budget hotel near at NJ..urgent plz

by smyturn

Where are landing or are you driving?

by prsampath

hai
thanks for the reply . i will taking flight till NEWARK. would like to go to NJ .then as mentioned travel everyday to newyork at JACOB in bus or ferry which ever is simple & takes me closer to jacobs.
thanks

by Jabberjenn

The Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands is in Jersey, is reasonably priced, and has a bus stop right in front of the hotel for the NJ Transit Bus that goes to New York. It drops you off right at Port Authority, which is located at 40th Street. The drive takes less than a half hour and the buses run very very frequently. Heres the site for the hotel: http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage/EWRSC

by smyturn

Sounds like the above poster has you covered. If not try http://www.mustseenewyork.com/maps/newark-airport-hotels-map.html scroll down and you can click on the map for the hotel of your choice. Sorry for the delay in answering. Good luck!

Comments