White Oaks Motor Lodge

591 N Hook Road, Pennsville, New Jersey, 08070, United States

More about Pennsville

Chickens Run FreeChickens Run Free

trustingtrusting

I can stop on a dime, anytimeI can stop on a dime, anytime

ba-rum-ba-bum-bumba-rum-ba-bum-bum

Travel Tips for Pennsville

Seafood

by Rhondaj

Being close to so many shores,Maryland, Delaware, and of course New Jersey, seafood is plentiful and enjoyed greatly. Maryland blue claw crabs can't be beat. Best bang for your buck is to pick them up roadside. Our favorite place: Marty's. This season $80 a bushel. We have a crab feast every year. This year, some drunk dropped a handful of cooked crabs in my garden. Peeyew!

MickeyMuse's Pennsville Page

by MickeyMuse

Each year on my birthday, I pick somewhere local that I'd like to go and visit, this year, I picked Fort Mott, Pennsville, NJ.

I'll be scanning some pictures and adding them today of this wonderful fort. The day we went, April 3, 2002, it was bright and beautiful, but with ominous clouds off in the distance, within a half hour or so as we walked through the fort, the wind kicked up and the trees began to sway and moan, only adding to the aura of setting.
Unlike Fort Knox, which will be featured over on my Maine page, you are not able to walk through most of the fort, which is sad, but due to vandalism and the unfortunate lack of caring for history that too many people possess, they have much of the fort closed off to the public. We were told that along with vandalism the fear of tetanus exists from the many rusted railings etc. But, despite all that, it's still a wonderful place to visit.

Across from Fort Mottt is Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island, http://civilwarstudies.org/fortdelaware/fort_delaware.htm

And down the road is the Finn's Point National Cemetery,
I'm not sure what to say about this cemetery, it was a strange place and very sad as it holds the remains of both Union and Confederate soldiers from Fort Delaware and even German soldiers who passed while being held at Fort Dix.

Fort Mott

by MickeyMuse

"Pictures of Fort Mott"

This is a picture of the communications room. You can see the grass over the top of the building, from the other side, this just appears to be a big, grassy mound.

This is my son standing in the small train tunnel that they built in order to move munitions from the fort to the munition depot that had been built, because they had been experiencing problems with keeping the munitions dry in the earth covered fort.

I don't really know what this doorway is for, just one of the a couple at the end of the fort that were built into the ground like the rest of the place.

Appears to be a lookout tower. This was located at the far end of the fort too.

I don't remember what this was, but it's another example of how everything was built into the ground and well hidden from the water side view

Entrance to the tunnel from the main fort side

Getting Here

by Rhondaj

"All Points Lead to Pennsville"

The New Jersey joke goes, "So what exit do you live off of?"
I live at the very beginning of the New Jersey Turnpike- EXIT1. A spit's throw from Delaware.

We live on the Interstate 95 corridor also. It's no wonder that the section of town near these two main travelways are filled with gas stations, fast food joints, and hotels.

Because of our close proximity to larger areas, i.e., Wilmington, DE. Philadelphia, PA and New York City, our town has grown from a little hamlet of the 1950's to a 6 traffic light town complete with a Wal-Mart's!

Comments