4701 Stelton Rd
IHG Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Plainfield

LogoLogo

A Plainfield surprise!A Plainfield surprise!

The Pillars of PlainfieldThe Pillars of Plainfield

Travel Tips for Plainfield

Unexpected serenity

by feline01

I come to this garden occasionally during my lunch hour just to unwind a bit. It's quite small but those volunteers do such an amazing job, I feel like I'm in England when I'm here. I even arranged a few picnics here with co-workers for several years, naturally they were vegan picnics and we had to scarf the food down in about 45 minutes by it was still a pleasant experience.

Plainfield, the Queen City

by feline01

"View it and weep..."

This lovely photo is of my work area at a county social service agency (welfare office). I work in the left-hand corner where all the stuff is hanging from the wall, makes it a bit more habitable. I've worked in Plainfield for several years now. It used to be an absolutely beautiful city but years of neglect and decay have shaken it but not killed it (yet). There are still original mansions owned by original wealthy people located blocks away from housing projects. It's a city full of wealth alongside abject poverty. I work with the abject poverty side in a social services agency. There has been an attempted revival of downtown Plainfield for years which is semi-successful. It is now relatively safe enough to walk downtown during the day when before you couldn't even do that. Plainfield is a wonderfully diverse city with a very large hispanic population living along side African-Americans, Asian, and Caucasian. There is also a sizeable homosexual population who have been working very diligently in reviving this city. I predict that either Plainfield is going to become a "hot' place to live in the far future or it will self-destruct and any form of wealth will exit. Of course, I hope for the former even though it means my job would be threatened.

Plainfield's has several recent claims to fame. 1st is that Dudley Moore died here in 2002. He had been staying with friends who owned one of those big old mansions that still exist in Plainfield. They were fellow musicians and took care of him until he died. And today, 5/7/03, one of Plainfield's great old churches, Seventh Day Adventist was registered as one of 10 most endangered sites in NJ which opens it up for funding for refurbishment. It's only been around since 1894 but considering how quickly NJ's history is destroyed so that condos or McMansions could be built, that is ancient.

Comments