White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa

1205 Ocean Ave, Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey, 08742, United States

Satisfaction Poor

• Lost my 16 room reservation

I have a company event and reserved 16 rooms back in February. I called back in March, and they had somehow "lost" my reservation. I re-placed the reservation and I called again to confirm the reservation 3 days prior to the deadline, and they told me everything was good to go. I offered to pay early or leave a deposit, and they told me that wasn't necessary... I called the day before the event to confirm, and they somehow "lost" the reservation, again.

It's the day before my company's event and I'm scrambling to find another hotel that can possibly accommodate 16 rooms and it looks like I will have to cancel my company event...16 families that will be upset...I don't know how this can possibly happen. I don't expect to do business with them again.

More about White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa

The Whole Family and Mon and Dad can enjoy

Looking for a SUMMER,FALL,WINNER,SPRING get away is over!!!

The White Sands Resort in Point Pleasant NJ is a great location for the family or just a weekend getaway for the parent to hide and remember
how it was just the two of us.

I was looking for a place at the Jersey shore late January 2005, for the Summer of 2005 I check out New Jersy shore web sites and all the travel guides for NJ.

By letting my fingers do the searching on the web and the old yellow pages phone book I came across a Hotel in Point Pleaseant, NJ.

I call them and by my surprise a real person answered the phone , I asked them what they offered for a family of 5 and grandparents.

So I asked them if they were open ,Yes they answered we a open all year around.

The White Sands Resort told me what they offered in room types, I said great , I will call them back.

I did one better, In March my husband and I had a wedding to go to in
Tom River New Jersey , so we decided to say over in Point Pleasant , NJ

Well the Place was very clean close to the boardwalk , and the hotel had many great activities even in the early Spring.
A great Spa, indoor pool Health club a great restruant.

We booked are vacation for July at The White Sands Hotel.
The minute we arrived the place was vert busy ,but the hospitality they offered was great from check in to the summer activities.
The adult activities in the Spa was great my husband and I even had a spa treatment together.The kid loved the pools all 3 and the beach.
At night we were able to walk to the boardwalk and enjoy the sound of the water hitting the beach.

The room were clean the staff was very helpful and the service great.

So take the time and check out the place that in Pleasant Beach, NJ
The White Sands Resort and Spa.

Awful from start to finish

We hated the White Sands. We felt very unwelcome. The staff was very junior and quite hostile. They literally yelled at us after they messed up our reservation, making us feel like it was our fault. The facility is a dump in general. Don't spend your hard earned money here!

A very srange experience

On labor day weekend we had to find a new place to stay at the last minute. That saturday night we went into the lobby looking for a room. At first we were told nothing was available, then the desk clerk said maybe there was one vacancy. It turned out to be an office they just turned into a guest room. Unfortunatley we were the first guest to stay in this office/room. The desk clerk did have a sense of humor when he commented that we had the "cheapest" room in point pleasant. It was almost laughable how small the room was for the furniture.A king size mattress on a platform , surrounded by some kind of enclosure that made it impossible to walk directly into the room without climbing over the bed. Luckily I had an exersise foam pad in the trunk of my car that we used to put on top of the very hard bed. At least the room was clean with a tv & nice size bathroom. the only window was a small one looking out onto the desk of the spa area, so forget about any fresh air or trying to open the curtain. The one thing we did enjoy was the pool right on the beach. Even though it was overun by poorly behaved children, I was hit 3 times in various parts of my body with a ball, by the same boy. After all It was a holiday & a family place,or so we kept telling ourselves. It wasn't until we had dinner at the hotel restaurant, Spanos,at 9pm, that the unruly children became a real problem. The ambience was just right ,comlete with a piano player, balcony dining, dim lighting; this fit right in with the great food & drinks. Then in the middle of my pasta the yelling & running around by several children became unbearable. While the small ones parents kept on ordering more drinks ,it was now 9:45 pm, the manager appeared. We foolishy thought he was making an entrance to calm down the situation, but he was welcoming all the customers like they were old friends, & we were not included in that circle.The manager made no attempt to quiet some of the noise so that most of the customers could dine with just the sound of the piano. We found the whole situation troubling, from the strange an umcomfortable decorating of the hotel to the way a nice restaurant was managed .I'm from NJ & would like to have a nice variety of places to stay & relax at the shore. This was a very strange experience, one I care not to repeat.

Do Not Recomment White Sands Motel

by TripAdvisor Member LFCJMC

I do not recommend the White Sands MOTEL, and I will not stay there again. The wallpaper and furniture need to be replaced. I spent 1 hour killing tiny flies that accumulated on the mirror. The lobby of their hotel, which is across the street, is attractive, but I did not see the rooms and cannot speak to that. Their website presents an inaccurate and extremely flattering picture of the White Sands Resort.

Some things really nice - others very disappointing

I stayed here during the week of 9/12. It was my first stay here. As the room was not ready when I arrived, I went to the indoor pool to spend some time. I was very impressed by this. It was very clean and the Jacuzzi was very relaxing. I definitely thought I had picked the right place to stay at. Unfortunately, my room and some of the experiences I had with the staff at the front desk did not live up to my first impression.

My room was not located in the main Hotel building but rather across the street on the beach. It could best be described as "run down Jersey Shore Motel". One of the windows was missing the latch (it had been broken off). The toilet had rust stains and was missing a piece. The sheets on the bed were so thin that they would not stay in place and kept moving all night. The air conditioner had a musty smell. The card keys worked one minute and then would stop working. One night, I had to go back across the street to the main hotel 3 times to have them reset. Finally, one of the front desk staff had to come with me to get one to work.. I was afraid to leave my room after that just in case I couldn’t get back in.

The front desk staff in the morning and at night were very courteous. The woman at the front desk in the afternoon was downright rude. I stopped one day to look at the brochure stands near the front desk. She kept staring at me with this suspicious and superior look and then finally snarled 'what do you want?' . She looked me over and decided that I was not the 'White Sands type' before I even opened my mouth. Another time, I passed her while I was coming back from the indoor pool and I naturally said hello. She just stared and pretended I wasn’t there. The other woman in the afternoon said she was new and had no idea where my room was. If the Hotel really wants to call itself 'upscale', they need to work more on the 'hospitality' part..

I checked the reviews of the hotel before I left and was surprised to see such a difference in the ratings. Some people loved it and some people hated it. I think the difference is where you stay. I would only recommend the rooms on the beach to families whose main purpose is to be on the beach. And there are other motels in Pont Pleasant that also provide this and might be nicer. I thought the indoor pool was so nice that I wilr ate it a 3. I think I will try this Hotel again – but only if I can get a room inside the main Hotel.

utterly disgusting

The White Sands was disgusting. It was one one the worst places that my family have ever stayed at. The pool was filthy the beach was filthy. It was very overpriced at over $300 plus per night. It was more like a short stay motel than a resort. The staff was rude and obnoxious. The food was decent. The rooms were so undersized and filthy. PLease do yourself and your family a big favor, stay somewhere else if you want to have a good vaction

Used to be great, Now just too big for there own good.

I have stayed at the white sands for probably over 10 years in a row starting in the early 90's. I remember there being the original "Mom and Pop' style building on the beach and then having bigger rooms above the pool (I Stayed in both). It was a smaller hotel and one of the best. Great location, great views, friendly helpful staff and a great price. Being on the ocean and able to walk to the boardwalk were hard things to find and the White Sands offered them.

Unfortunately the White Sands decided to expand and things seem to go downhill from there. The new buildings look great but the inner workings (IE Staff) need an overhaul. The white sands went from a fun family place where you were able to leave your worries at home and just have a good time into an extremely overpriced place with too many rules and snobbish attitudes.

On my last stay at the white sands in 2004 I was staying in the new building across from the beach and I couldnt get a morning cup of coffee. I was told I had to walk across the street to the cafe. Are you kidding me!!! For $300 + a night they should be standing at my door with a fresh cup waiting for me. I also had a problem with a staff member in the lobby. Their were signs posted that you had to have shoes on and a cover. No walking through with a bathing suit on. Ok fine. But when I took my wifes mothers sandal off of her to adjust the strap that was digging into her ankle (She was 60) I was bum rushed by the guy behind the desk who was yelling and causing a scene that she had to have shoes on or leave. I Mean people were staring. He actually made her get up and go outside to adjust the strap. Lets just say he is lucky he didnt have a grilled flip flop sandwich for lunch that day. When i spoke to management they made it like i was bothering them and did nothing about it.

I really did enjoy the White Sands in its pre expansion years. And although things seemed they were going down from the mom and pop days I still stayed there until my 2004 experience. Its just that today the white sands is trying to be something it is not. Leave the Mega Resorts to Vegas and the Islands and go back to the carefree Mom and Pop place we all once enjoyed.

P.S. I am not suggesting to go to the places I mention below, They are just my last 3 vacations I took in 2005 and 2006 LOOK at the prices, I just want to give you and idea of how overpriced the white sands really is.

$1400 / 7 nights in Cancun all inclusive (All food, drinks,beach activites, transfers and airfare), It wasnt a spring break hotel, It was a quiet, exclusive resort on the point of cancun. Had to be at least 25 yrs old to register there. Also went to Aruba for $1700 / 7 nights all inclusive (All food, drinks,beach activites, transfers and airfare). Also went on a $1089 Cruise to Caribbean. Mini-Suite Cabin with balcony 7 nights. Included airfare.

It costs $2100 ($300 a night) to stay at the white sands for 7 nights. And thats just for the room Makes you think huh??

Feel free to email me to discuss your stay at the white sands.

Honeymoon Suites

My new bride and I where given a surprise gift of two nights at this resort by my sister, I can truly say that she wasted $1100 DOLLARS. I will say the staff where very friendly and helpful. When you hear the words honeymoon suite like most people I have visions of warm rooms with flowers, a fuit basket and maybe a bottle of champagne and at over 500 dollars a night I think the White Sands could afford it. But alas it was not to be, what we where greeted with was a poor excuse of a room. It was no more than an oversized motel room with furniture that looked like it was picked up at a garage sale, a stereo that most people have in there garage to listen to while fixing the car, and the view , lets not forget the view, fabulous views of both the rear and side parking lot and beyond all dreams a third view of the swimming pool roof. I could go on but it gets me angry everytime I thinkabout how much money my sister spent for such a poor excuse of a room, the owners of the White Sands should be ashamed of themselves

Very dependable

My hsuband and I have been staying at White Sands since we were dating back in 95'. It's changed alot in size and amenities. We actually just returned from a visit a week and a half ago and we had a really good time. We now have three kids under three, so we booked a two room queen and king that worked out perfectly for us. They couldn't accomodate us on the first floor as we requested, but we were right next to the stairs which worked out fine. The pools and beach were all clean. The towel shed staff, whom you deal with most were super nice. They've added express service to the pool if you order lunch or snacks. That was great with a carriage and three kids in tow. Honestly my only complaints are the location of the dumpsters, next to the stairs, they were pretty stinky some days and leaking all over the sidewalk, and the beds were sandy, including the night we checked in which is SCARY. We called and had them change the sheets. I think the college kids that used to clean in the summers did a much better job than the staff they have now, vaccuming, tub, making beds, etc.
All in all always a good time for us!

Pure heaven, is White Sands

by TripAdvisor Member EspyGirl

Our family loves The White Sands. The beach side is where we stay. We found the staff to be great. The room had hardwood floors, was clean, and we could open our patio door at night and sleep to the sound of the waves. Two outdoor pools are very clean. Beach is Clean. Great for families, great activities for kids. Wonderful too for just relaxing in style. Best place in Point Pleasant. We are returning July 9th 2006 and I'll update my experience then.

Comments