Homewood Suites Princeton

Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 review
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 323 reviews
Booking.com Expedia.com

BEWARE- Hotel Houses Drug Rehab Program!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 20, 2012

Unless you want to share a room in the same hallway as a recovering junkie, DO NOT STAY HERE! I arrived in the Princeton area on Saturday morning looking for a hotel to stay in for the weekend as a base for exploring Princeton and taking the train into the city. I chose Homewood Suites because the location is very convenient to Princeton Junction train station and also I’ve stayed at Homewood in Florida before and found it very nice. I pulled up to the Princeton location around 9:15 on Saturday January 7. No sooner had I stepped out of my car did a large group of sketchy looking people exit the side entrance of the hotel. They were dressed like thugs and using profanity as they came out for a cigarette. I was immediately uncomfortable and would have been even more so had I been travelling with small children exposed to this crowd of 20-25 scary looking individuals. Not wanting to leave my car near these people, and since I was only going to check in and then drive to the train station, I decided to just leave and go check in later when I arrived back from the city. So I had a nice day in NYC, then arrived back at the hotel around 5:00, and found it to be a madhouse in the lobby. There were a good 50 people in there, the same sketchy ones I had encountered earlier and then other normal people and even some kids. At this point I was curious about what was going on so I asked one of the somewhat normal looking people what this was about, and he told me that this was a drug rehab program and this was the “family visit day”. He said he and the other “rebab patients” are actually LIVING IN THIS HOTEL! He had been living there since November. I was appalled. How on earth can a chain mid-level national hotel like Homewood house former druggies in the same hotel as paying guests on business or leisure travel? I was so disturbed I left immediately and thankfully found another hotel just down Route 1 since Princeton has so many options. When I got online I did some research to see if there were any reviews about other people experiencing what I did at Homewood. I didn’t find anything else on TripAdvisor but I did find a review on Yelp.com from a guest who stayed in September 2011 who said “don’t stay here unless you want a junkie pounding on your door because this hotel houses a drug rehab program”. So now I know that it is even more substantiated. I decide to then call the hotel directly and ask about what I saw and verify if it was true that they were indeed hosting rehab patients. The hotel representative told me that was not true. I again reiterated that I had seen it myself earlier in the weekend, that a person there told me what it was, and that I had read a review online stating that this had happened to them also. He again said they don’t host anything like that. I asked if they hosted ANY type of long-term program and he said they have “Life Training” classes for a group and they do live there, but when I asked, he wouldn’t elaborate on what “Life Training” was. How disturbing that the hotel lies flat out! So last but not least I called the rehab center directly that the person said he was a part of, and I pretended that I was inquiring on the location for a loved one to go to. He told me point blank that they are living in the Homewood Suites Princeton, so there you go. He claimed they are separated from the regular guests but as you can see from my experience, that is not the case. So like the previous reviewer said, unless you want to expose yourself, your car, and your family to that type of risky clientele while staying in what you would otherwise expect to be a nice hotel in a classy area like Princeton, avoid this one. And FYI, I called the Homewood Suites in Florida that I routinely stay at and asked if they host any such thing and they were shocked to hear my report, said they have never heard of a Homewood Suites doing that, and gave me the corporate Hilton number and encouraged me to call and report my experience.

Nearby Homewood Suites Princeton

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette
  • Suites

Princeton Travel Forum

Need advice about Princeton, New Jersey? Visit the Travel Forum for Princeton and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Princeton hotel reviews

The Things to See in Princeton
Asian Cuisine ~ Eat in or Take Out
Unique Purses & Other Treasures
Shopping
Nothing Fancy but Good Coffee!
Talk About Good Crabs!
Amazing Gifts
Shopping
It's a Small World After All...
Classic Italian Food
University Chapel
Good ice cream
The Princeton Battle Monument
Things to Do
Pompous and a waste of Money
A Princeton Favorite