Ten Palmer Square, Princeton, New Jersey, 08542, United States

Satisfaction Poor

• starship's Profile Photo

Luxury with Colonial Charm

Still under construction!!

The Colonial charm, ambience and luxurious comfort of the Nassau Inn would certainly be a reason to extend your stay in Princeton. The Nassau Inn began its life in 1756 by Judge Thomas Leonard who built the imposing building as a home to spend his last years in and have a view of the college he loved. Upon his death jus 13 years later, the judge's home began a new life as a hostelry owned by Christopher Beekman and his wife and the place soon became a center of activity for Princeton. Of course, the tap room was a success.

The Inn is particularly historical because it can count among its celebrated guests the prominent historical figures Paul Revere, Thomas Paine, and Robert Morris. Other important overnight guests included delegates on their way to the first Continental Congress in 1775 in Philadelphia. The following year of 1776 saw several signers of the Declaration of Independence rested here.

The present-day inn has 203 rooms exuding colonial charm but with modern comfort. The common rooms will make you feel as though you stepped back in time. All rooms and suites are well-appointed and comfortably furnished. I like hotels that provide cozy bathrobes in addition to other upgraded amenities which you find in all good hotels. It speaks luxury to me.

Unique Quality: The newest version of the Nassau Inn on Palmer Square incorporated many of the original elements of the original Nassau Inn and I love the oak, raftered celings and big stone fireplace. The "Yankee Doodle Tap Room"

• Nassau Inn

If you have the means, I highly recommend this place (luckily, I had the university paying for me). At any rate, this place was built in 1756 and played important roles during the Revolutionary days. Some of the rooms are really quite nice, while the others are just average, but the place is definitely worth a night's stay for the experience. They bring you warm cookies each night! Yankee Doodle, a painting by Norman Rockwell, is also on display here.

Unique Quality: Historic

Directions: Palmer Sq., right off Nassau St.

More about Nassau Inn

loved the nassau inn

this charming hotel is beautifully located right in the heart of Princeton. It is a must for anyone visiting Princeton.All of the staff was most accommodating and the front of house manager was superb.Her gracious manner and willingness to always do anything to enhance my stay whenever I am at the Inn is a a magnificent perk.
I always look forward to returning to the Nassau Inn.

Very Pleased with the Nassau Inn

My family and I stayed at the Nassau Inn on Sept. 1, 2005 and Sept. 2, 2005 for my son and daughter-n-law's wedding. The staff at the hotel was very pleasant and accommodating when adjustments had to be made like changing Queen beds to King. I know everyone staying at the hotel on our block of rooms had positive things to say. The only negative I thought was the air-conditioning was a little loud.

Also, the wedding reception was held at the Nassau Inn and everyone had a great time. The cocktail hour (Hors D'oeuves) were great and the food at the wedding reception was good. A good time was had by all.

Lynn Woods, the front office manager was very helpful when, I did a tial run in June, to answer all my questions. Princeton is a lovely town!

LOVED the Nassau Inn

by TripAdvisor Member VideoMAC

The reception staff and staff in general at the Nassau Inn do not know the word "no." They helped solve every business need and problem, and at one point they re-opened the kitchen on Saturday night to accommodate our late night return from a swim meet. Their business center is comfortable and quiet. They had ethernet cables available for the traveller who forgot one (ME!), they printed out papers with a smile, they jumped to offer to put money in the parking meter outside (so as to avoid a ticket). The hot chocolate chip cookies from 3-5pm are an unexpected treat. You really feel like you are in an "inn" with personalized service, not to mention the location is the best. Ask for Lynn Woods or Jim Kernan, who jumped through hoops at every SINGLE request.

Bad grades for Princeton's Nassau Inn

by TripAdvisor Member CtPeej

What a nightmare we had. We usually travel to Princeton 5 or 6 times a year but have never stayed at the Nassau Inn, and I am not sure I ever will again. THis is too bad as it is centrally located and is the most convenient hotel to the university. I knew we were not going to get the royal treatment as we booked the internet rate and would be staying in the older part of the hotel. When we arrived in the room it was like a furnace. We looked for a themostat but only found one that said basically, don't touch. We tried to open the window, but it would not open. We finally called to the front desk. I have to say that they did send someone up promptly, we got the window open and he showed us how to use the thermostat..... seems it ran backwards and, after he showed us the little switch to turn, told us that you move the thermostat to the highest 80 degrees, to get the room cooler!!

Overnight the toilet seemed to back up and finally overflowed at 6:30am. THank goodness we had a second room for my son so that we could shower in his room...it was disgusting. I called the desk to tell them and they offered to send the maintenence guy up again (they certainly seem to need him around!) but as we were trying to get out by 7:15 I declined. WHen I went to the desk to check out and let them know they we had vacated the room and that I was very unhappy with our stay, while the young man was pleasant and apologised, his only offer was a free breakfast. Since we were obviously leaving early for a reason, it was not an offer we could accept. Nor did it make up for having a non-functional bathroom!

All in all, it was a very unpleasant stay. WHile I know we were paying the "cheap" rates, I would still expect the rooms to be in working order. I was very dissapointed in this famous hotel.

quaint and great location

The historic and lovely Nassau Inn, located in beautiful downtown Princeton, is located just adjacent to the University and is walking distance to wonderful restaurants and specialty shopping and unique bookstores.

Excellent Accomodations!

Stayed at the Nassau Inn for a week in August 2005. Great room... very comfortable...Friendy staff! Great access to downtown Princeton. Free excellent coffee in the morning and treats at night! Great value too although this was a business trip and paid bymy employer. I travel extensively and this is a great hotel. True, this is the only hotel in downtown Princeton from what I can gather, but they still work hard for your business nonetheless. A winner!

Wonderful stay! Perfect location!

by TripAdvisor Member Heather5Dallas

This past weekend I had the pleasure of being a guest at the Nassau Inn. My room had recently been renovated: great mattress, beautiful new linens and nice view of downtown Princeton. The Inn is ideally located. Great restaurants and shops are within one or two blocks of the Inn. Previous reviewers had commented about noise or loud pipes. I did not experience either of these. I am sure it can happen, but considering this is a historic inn, they have done a great job of "updating" the inn while maintaining it's historical charm. Lynn Woods was extremely helpful when I made my reservation and once I arrived at the hotel. She truly exceeded my expectations with excellent customer service. All staff members that I encountered were friendly and welcoming. I will definitely return!

Comments